Search Unity

Running Unity 5 Gives Error, Drops Internet Access.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by malu05b, Mar 7, 2015.

1. malu05b

malu05b

When i open a new Unity 5 project i get the error:
    "Socket: bind failed, error: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions.
    (0)"
    And then my internet drops. (I still have a network connection but all internet connected apps get disconnected and my browsers gives a error when i try to browse).
    15 seconds after i close Unity, my internet works again.

Should be noted that Unity 4.x works perfectly on my machine.

2. malu05b

malu05b

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

And we have all been collectively given a big middle finger so far.

Is this a new undocumented productivity feature, meant to force us to work on the bloody game instead of wasting time on the internet?

ableRex_358 and ThanhNT20 like this.
  4. malu05b

malu05b

Tried reporting it as a bug using the UnityBugReporter.exe, not sure if it works outside of the Unity Editor though.

5. malu05b

malu05b

6. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

What is the case number you were emailed? I'll ask the QA team to take a look - you're a Pro customer, right?

7. roslinpl

roslinpl

Same error message here on my PC/Windows7 :

but Internet is working without any issues.

Can we get some more infos about that problem?

Best regards.

8. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Looks like you are a Pro user. Can you PM me your serial. The editor makes calls back home to check for updates. I can look and see if the editor's connections are received.

9. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Stupid question for those who encountered the problem: Do you guys have Steam open when launching Unity5?

I occasionally had the same problems but not always. Just now I tried opening Unity 5 and it worked perfectly fine. Then I started up the Steam client and reopened Unity and the Internet connection stopped until I exited Unity.

I have yet to test if this is a constant problem and whether it happens all the time.

(edit) sorry ... nevermind. This wasn't the problem, either.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, I've successfully isolated and fixed the issue on my part. Something networking related within Unity 5, or perhaps within Mono itself, triggers a bug in a driver for certain cheap USB wireless adapters, in particular the default driver that comes with Windows 7. Most other user's reports seem to confirm this, given that almost everyone I asked also happened to be using a dongle for internet access.

My card (or rather, its guts) happens to be Realtek's RTL8187B. Updating the driver fixed the issue, and now I can safely run Unity without losing my wireless access. (I was already looking for ways to sandbox/virtualize the damn thing just so it wouldn't break the network)

I'm kind of glad that the problem turned out to be something that's so easily fixable on a user's part, as opposed to something we'd have to wait for to get fixed. I lost all hope when 5.0.1 rolled out and the issue was still there.

To everyone affected, update your wireless drivers (make sure it's the latest ones from the manufacturer) and report back.

11. jayms

jayms

I'm having the same issue and neither updating drivers nor any of the other fixes from the previous threads are solving it. It appears that Unity 5 is exhausting all available TCP/IP ports, preventing my computer from making any new connections. It happens as soon as I load the editor, regardless of project. I reported a bug last week but haven't heard anything yet...

This is preventing our studio from upgrading to Unity 5, so I'd appreciate any other workarounds anybody has discovered.

12. roslinpl

roslinpl

Hey, I can send you my serial but looks like it's working fine now.
    Error message is no more appearing in my console.

Best regards.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  13. CicleOf14

CicleOf14

Hi. I just want to confirm that I am also getting this behavior after upgrading to Unity 5. I'm using Windows Vista 64bit and my USB ethernet adapter is the Asix AX88772. I have gotten the latest OS updates and drivers, but this problem persists: A few seconds after opening my project, my internet connection completely goes out. I have to close Unity entirely and reset the adapter in order to get back on the internet. Has anybody found a solution?

14. jayms

jayms

No solution here yet. No response on my bug report either...

15. Tzan

Tzan

I'm not using a wireless connection.
    I have a cable modem directly wired to my computer.
    Motorola SB5120

16. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I've prodded them.

17. Tzan

Tzan

I just updated my network adapter driver. ( Realtek 6168 )
    The problem continues.
    The only difference now is that it takes longer for the connection to come back after shutting down U5.
    So that made it worse I guess.

18. jayms

jayms

Thanks Graham, I appreciate that!

19. Tzan

Tzan

I think I found a workaround, but you probably wont like it.

I use an old version of AutoCad r14 from 1997.
    It wont run on Win7 64bit, so I installed a Virtual Machine and installed XPMode.
    I've been using AutoCad this way since 2009.

A browser running in a virtual machine will connect to the internet while U5 is running.
    I was getting some slow loading times, but its hard to tell if it was just the internet or U5.
    Hitting the link again generally loaded fine after a few tries.
    I have only tried this for a few minutes, so if it breaks after a while I wont know yet.

You can put XPMode into a windowed state, with the browser window inside that.
    So you can use it just like a regular browser window.

Installing a Virtual Machine in Win7 requires Pro or higher, the Home version wont work.
    In 2009 the upgrade to Pro cost around $90. The VM and XPMode were free downloads.
    Lots of reading is ahead if you go this route, but once its set up its no big deal.
    I have 6gig memory and have no problems running XPMode, AutoCad, Photoshop, Lightwave at the same time.

Link to MS
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681737(WS.10).aspx?ocid=fwlink
    There is a link in the first paragraph to download things.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  20. Tzan

Tzan

So clicking a link might work just fine.
    When it doesnt wait 2 seconds and click again.
    When a page with the correct URL appears, and its blank, click reload up to 20 to 30 times.
    Get your page.
    See how easy that is :mad:

21. CicleOf14

CicleOf14

So I took a chance and bought a brand new usb ethernet adapter in the hopes that it's drivers can handle whatever the Unity 5 editor is doing and keep my internet connection from failing. I purchased the j5 Create usb ethernet adapter (Model: JUE130), simply installed the drivers that came with the packed CD and it's been working fine for over a week now. Not once has the internet connection failed while working with Unity 5. Hope this helps someone. Please note that I'm using Vista 64bit, so I can't really vouch for any other OS. Until this issue is truly fixed, perhaps we could use this thread to start listing ethernet adapters that play nice with Unity 5?

22. Tzan

Tzan

23. Tzan

Tzan

24. lord-manor

lord-manor

How about a manual tool to download packages from Unity Store? People select the unity version they have , 5.3.4 , and get the assets.

Named : Manual Assets tool ?

"...I stopped posting here because I cannot make out a pattern. And as long as I can't pinpoint it any further it's no use complaining. Unity know about it but without a definitive cause they can't do anything, either except maybe stumble upon it by chance, it seems. @Rene Damm already said that they don't know exaclty where the problems arise from, either. So unless we all find a common thing I guess this might remain an unsolved problem for some time..."

the_motionblur

25. Akzwar

Akzwar

I ve disabled all network adapters like Hamachi and VirtualBox Host-Only Network and everything foes fine.

26. Xakiru

Xakiru

Hi,
    Here is my fix :

Open Cmd with admin permissions and run this command:
    > netstat -a -o -n | find "54999"

This will show the id of the proccess let's say it shows :

>> TCP 0.0.0.0:54999 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 14824

Just write :
    > taskkill /F /PID 14824

To make sure everything is clean, you can run things manually before opening unity. :

> adb forward --remove-all
    > adb -s "4f0c7edb" forward "tcp:54999" "localabstract:Unity-com.maincharacter.test"
    I hope this helps someone.
    Thanks;

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016