Search Unity

Unity 5.0 broke my internet.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ducahl, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Ducahl

Ducahl

There is probably a lot more going on under the hood than I am aware of.

I realize this is a very strange symptom, but every time I load Unity 5.0 , the very latest release, I am unable to browse the web on any browser "easily"

What I mean by "easily" is when I type in a web address it immediately gives me a downed page or something, then I have to refresh the browser several time until it will actually load the page or attempt to. This also occurs with my version control software, subversion. Every time I commit with unity 5.0 running, I have to commit several times before it actually goes through, while I have Unity 5.0 running.

I clearly have connectivity, it just feels really restricted.

Another bit of information, this did not occur on any of the previous versions. This is a totally new issue, and it took me a while to diagnose it because I would have never thought Unity5 and my networking would be related that much.

As soon as I close Unity 5.0, my internet works great again.

----

I have tried reinstalling my network adapter. I tried using a different adapter, a wifi adapter I had. I was previously plugged into a switch, I moved to just directly being connected to one wall ethernet, to another ethernet port. I've ran virus scanners, multiple ones. I am totally at a loss on why this would even happen.

Any ideas?

-Brian

2. twobob

twobob

are you remote debugging with an android device.

Unplug, Try internet again. Now worky?

Known, unfixed issue since before Nelson lost his eye.

Might be that

3. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Is this with Firefox? If so, have you tried Chrome/Safari/IE?

We've seen instances where Firefox is affected by the Gecko integration we have in the editor (5.0 is using Firefox's HTML engine for web views like the asset store and the home screen). In these cases, other browsers remain unaffected.

If this is the case, try enabling "Load previous project on startup" in the preferences and see if that makes a difference as in that case, the home screen will be skipped and Gecko will not be initialized during startup (also make sure to not open the asset store window).

twobob likes this.
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I've seen Chrome struggle when the CPU is close to 100% utilization. It used to happen a lot at my old machine. I used to lower the priority for beast.exe (because usually I was baking to get the cpu that high) to actually use Chrome again.

Firefox wasn't as affected.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

OP clearly said "any browser" so it's probably unrelated to Gecko.
    There are others who have reported this issue, including myself. In many cases, the network doesn't work at all.

I spent half a day yesterday trying to isolate and fix this, but it's beyond my understanding. No odd packets, nothing significant in the event log (besides failed DNS lookups for the license server), firewalling Unity in or out doesn't help. Network keeps reconnecting and failing for as long as Unity is open, Windows fails to figure out what is wrong with the connection when prompted to, not even realizing anything is wrong at all until some program attempts to connect somewhere. The editor seems to be pretty much performing an accidental denial of service attack.

I'm checking for a patch release several times a day. Having to choose between internet and the editor is nothing short of crippling. It's been almost two weeks since release now, and this has been an issue since RC2. Do something.

6. twobob

twobob

7. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Have you tried my suggestion above with bypassing the home screen?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I didn't have the home screen enabled in the first place. Going to try the ports registry fix now.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nope, didn't do a thing. It's still consistently broken until I close Unity and reset the adapter. (at least some people are lucky enough not to have to reset a thing)
    The connection breaks as soon as the process starts, and can be restarted almost immediately after the process is terminated.

Again, the only kind of error I'm ever getting is a DNS timeout for activation.unity3d.com, which tells me about as much as I already know. (that I've got no internet)

I haven't bothered checking if my local network is affected by this. Should I?

[edit]
    After fiddling with ports some more on both the PC and the router, by some sheer miracle I managed to actually launch Unity with the network connection still intact. I used the opportunity to release the license and switch to Personal since I plan on refunding this thing, but my joy was short lived; after closing and reopening it went back to its usual broken behaviour.

So the issue seems to be that Unity will hold the entire network connection hostage unless it can use a certain port. At first it sounded like some crazy DRM, but I combed through the legal stuff and found no difference from 4.x in this regard, so I'll just hopefully assume it's not.
    I really hope it's only a temporary thing because I'm not the owner of this network, and I shouldn't be permanently screwing around with the router settings. And I've had Unity 4 work with some pretty paranoid firewall settings too, so I don't think any of this should be an issue. I'll be pretty mad if this turns out to be DRM collateral damage or some other dealbreaker, I've bet quite a lot on finishing my game in 5.x

Or maybe this one launch was a complete fluke and the issue lies elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
  10. malu05b

malu05b

I have the exact same problem. What is your system specs?
    Im running Windows 7 64bit on a Mac Pro.
    As soon as i open Unity 5 all internet access from my machine is dropped. Unity 4 runs without issues, so this only affects Unity 5

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

7 x64 SP1
    I'm tempted to try it without the SP1 since I only need it for VS, and I could probably just downgrade to Express.

12. Ducahl

Ducahl

Wow , glad and sorry to see more people having this issue.

Let me play catch up.

Hi Rene, thanks for replying so quickly. Sorry for the late reply I was away over the weekend.
    To clarify a few things. I have tried in 3 separate browsers , firefox, chrome and IE.

I am running on Windows 7 64bit on pc - HP Pavilion HPE-210f PC.

Just about to try making it where it loads previous project. Will report if this fixes my issue temporarily.
    I am getting a very specific message when I try committing using svn about not having enough buffer memory while sending data through the socket it is trying to use.
    Could this issue be solved by port-forwarding or some router manipulation or is it deeper.

Going to try your suggestion now and report findings.

13. Ducahl

Ducahl

Enabling the load previous project option does not seem to fix my issue :(

14. Ducahl

Ducahl

I tried both the registry fix and the load last startup fix and they did not work for me unfortunately. :(

Any other ideas?

15. Ducahl

Ducahl

Also, as I said before, its not just web browsing, its anything that requires networking, like my version control software ( SVN)

I just tried to commit with Unity 5.0 open and I go this error message.

Error retrieving REPORT: An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full.

My adobe cloud account just failed to connect as well. I had to refresh it a few times before it took hold.

16. Vincent-Schneider

Vincent-Schneider

Same problem here, with Windows 7 64.

I just downloaded patch 3 but nothing changed on this matter.

17. Ducahl

Ducahl

Im still having issues , unfortunately :( I've tried everything I can think of and some.

18. Tzan

Tzan

19. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I'm still getting the dropped WiFi Problems (Filed Bug Report #686910).
    While it seems that it's not always the case the start screen bypassing seems to work for me on first startup. Though oddly enough sometimes on a 2nd startup of Unity it seems I still get the WiFi disconnection problems. I then need to either restart Windows or plug the WiFi stick in again and reinstall the drivers.

I've even tried a complete uninstall and reinstallation of the newest drivers for my WLAN USB Stick. No good.

I still get the errors on the newest version and on the 5.1 Beta.
    Is there a solution in sight or an idea what exactly is causing the problems, yet?

20. Tzan

Tzan

21. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

22. Tzan

Tzan

I don't blame you.
    I doubt anyone would want to.

23. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I could live with a fix that's maybe annoying to set up or something very obscure until the real solution is found but I will not buy and install additional software for it.
    The sad thing is that it apparently happens rarely enough that it's not an overly pressing issue to fix. Though for the people who get this error it's more than just annoying. And I can also say that for me it also never happened in the early access Betas so far.

Even if the Homescreen/AssetStore bypass fixes the problem. It would mean that I can't change my project without dropping internet connection for at least a short time or a driver reinstallation.

24. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Hmm, I'm a little confused as to whether that means it is or is not happening with the 5.1 beta. That would be a crucial hint as to whether Gecko is a possible culprit here or not.

the_motionblur likes this.
  25. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Hi Rene. Thank you very much for checking back in.
    Sorry. I meant the 5.0 Betas.

When I wrote that 5.1 Beta seems to have the problem I gave it only a brief test. Seems that was wrong.

What's happening now is the following:
    Basically I keep spotify running in the background to hear when the network connection fails because most of the time the taskbar doesn't look like there's no connection any more.

Opening Unity 5.0.0p3 Project with bypassing the Start Screen works at least once. I cannot recall now whether I later opened the Asset Store when the WLAN disconnected with the start screen bypass. Sorry.
    Either way it really seems that on 5.0.0p3 the Start Screen significantly increases the chances of connection failure.
    Though: It seems I was wrong about unity 5.1 Beta. For the last hour I've been trying to open and reopen a few smaller projects in Unity 5.0.0p3 and the current 5.1 Beta. While on 5.1Beta I get a few hickups after launch but after that - seems like everything keeps on functioning as expected. The internet connection seems to stay stable.

I've tried opening 5.1Beta with and without the start screen a few times. Opening 5.0.0p3 (with start screen) seems to introduce instabilities and disconnections.
    It seems that if I keep working in 5.1Beta without opening a project though 5.0.0p3 start screen the connection stays.

I can post or send you my hardware and software setup and/or statistics if that helps.
    Also if you have any Tests you want me to run that may help you track it down further, just let me know.
    Just as with any further information - just let me know what I can or shoud track or test if you need something. :)

I'm using a FRITZ!WLAN USB Stick. Working on Windows 7 Pro 64Bit, V6.1.7601 SP1

26. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Ok, so looks like 5.1 is alright then and the problem is fixed there. That's good news.

So the culprit is most likely Gecko. Unfortunately, we still have no answer as to where and why Gecko is causing the issue and given that the problem is fixed in the next release, I'll probably have to ask you guys to hang in there until we can put that version into all of your hands (scheduled for release in early June).

27. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

@Rene Damm
    Allright. Thank you very much for the feedback. :)
    In case I get odd behaviour with 5.1 again I will post back here and tag you so you see the thread.
    I hope others who might encounter the problem will do the same. Though of course the best thing would be if it just happend to never show up again. :)

28. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Ok cool. Thanks for all the testing and the feedback.

29. Tzan

Tzan

Thanks for the estimated release date for 5.1.

Is Gecko not being used in the future?

30. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

No, we have switched to the Chromium Embedded Framework with 5.1. Gecko has all sorts of issues and doesn't work well for us. It's an improvement over the old WebKit-integration but it's not a viable integration on the long run.

31. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

@Rene Damm Sorry to report back that it just happened again with Unity 5.1. :-/

I had a Unity 4.6 project open which I copied to another folder to update with Unity5. I opened it in Unity5.1beta, and from the second Unity itself started up all internet connection broke.
    Also the same behaviour again: I exit Unity the start it up a second time which breaks Internet connection again. When I try to exit Unity that second time it freezes up completely and I need to close it with the task manager. I also need to reset my internet connection.

I had Skype and Pidgin open this time. Also Thunderbird, Chrome and Modo801.

(edit) I reset the internet again and started U5.1 again. It works now.
    Unfortunately I still can't really make out a pattern, here. o_O
    How many more people do have this problem?

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  32. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Ok, this is super weird. I'm starting to wonder whether we're hitting a driver bug there.

33. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Which driver would you suspect?

I know that a few people in the company I'm currently working for also get the freeze-on-exit bug occasionally - though not the interenet freezing. I suspect it's because they are on cable while I am working remotely on my own machine. The only constant thing I see is that the hung up internet connection and unity freezing on exit seem to occur together most of the time.

34. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Unity freezing on exit could be because of Gecko not shutting down properly -- potentially because it is waiting in the network code somewhere (though it could also be many totally different things in Unity to be fair).

Anything involved in the network stack. But yeah, this is me fishing for random leads more than a solid guess based on concrete information...

35. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I'm fishing for random leads on my part as well. So far it still hasn't happend nearly as often in UNity 5.1beta as it did in 5.0. If I manage to find out a patter (or a solution) on my side I'll post again.

Thank you very much for the feedback and help so far, though. :)

36. Zeit

Zeit

This has happened to me as well, sometimes if I'm playing a proyect wich uses some type of connection, internet completely shuts off until I stop it :/

37. Hitch42

Hitch42

Just chiming in here to keep up with others having this problem. I'm experiencing the same (or very similar) issue. Almost as soon as I start up a project, my internet connection gets cut off. I'm running Win7 64. I get the error that "The default gateway is not available." which stays in effect until I reboot my computer and reset my adapter. I had this happen consistently a dozen times in a row while I tried to search for solutions.

38. SixSicSix

SixSicSix

Don't know if this will help you guys but i install webplayer from the unity 5 bundle. I only checked web player in the download prefs cause i only require the version 5 player and its making my connection go nuts. Firefox Blinks in and out and hangs several seconds before accepting commands again. this only happens when I'm on a Unity game site. Maybe its responsible for your issue's!

39. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Ok, that is good. Though TBH the fact it's different on 5.1 but that it still happens does surprise me.

Thanks! :)

@Zeit, @Hitch42, @SixSicSix
    I assume all of you are on 5.0? Sorry for the problems there. 5.1 is due for release within the next couple weeks and it should either fix the problem altogether or at least make it significantly better (like for @the_motionblur). I'm curious to see what the situation is when that is fully rolled out.

40. Hitch42

Hitch42

Yes, Unity 5.0.1f1 (64-bit) on Win7 64. Do you think that you've identified the cause? I'm curious as to how simply starting up Unity can kill my network connection so completely. I'v never experienced this before. Let me know if you need any other information.

41. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

@Rene Damm
    I'm pretty sure now that at least for me it has nothing to do with the internet connection per se but with the USB ports.
    Lately I've noticed strange behaviour with Unity when I plug in a gamepad into my front USB ports at my PC or when I unplug peripherals. I don't know whether this is a fault with my windows installation (it is rather old for an OS installation and has carried over a few hardware changes) or something else related to Unity on certain systems. BUT I can tell that it's the USB ports messing up that causes my problems.

I've noticed it just now when I found out that not only did my internet disconnect but also my Nexus tablet when plugging/unplugging USB devices with Unity running. So I am pretty sure that it's a USB fault that simply takes down the USB WiFi Adapter with it and it's just the most prominent thing to notice instead of the other devices.

Either way Unity 5.1 still makes a lot less problems in that regard as opposed to 5.0.
    Sorry I still cannot make out more specific patterns.

42. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

Hmm, interesting. Is everyone else also using a USB WiFi stick and seeing the same problems with all USB devices being disconnected?

43. Tzan

Tzan

I dont have access to 5.1 yet.
    I have a cable modem with a wire into my computer.

You cant unplug everything, mouse and keyboard still need to be in.

44. Hitch42

Hitch42

I have a USB Ethernet adapter. I don't experience any other USB peripherals (mouse and keyboard) getting disconnected when this happens.

45. Hitch42

Hitch42

This issue is still occurring in Unity 5.1.0f3 (64-bit). Same exact symptoms as above. I'll start a new thread, if need be, to signify that this is happening in 5.1, if that would be helpful. Any indication that you are working on this would be very appreciated.

46. CicleOf14

CicleOf14

Hi Hitch42, I don't know if you've seen this other thread addressing the same issue:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/running-unity-5-gives-error-drops-internet-access.308251/

Please look at my last post (towards the bottom of the page). I was also having this problem with my USB Ethernet Adapter so I took a chance and bought a new one for, like $25 dollars and I haven't had any problems for over a month. I purchased the j5 Create usb ethernet adapter (Model: JUE130). I can also vouch that it works fine with Windows 7 Sp1 which is what I'm currently using now. Hope this helps until Unity can properly fix the issue.

47. Tzan

Tzan

Thanks for posting that here.
    I completely forgot about that thread, not even a month ago o_O
    Been too busy with my regular work to try 5.1

48. Tzan

Tzan

5.1.1 is still broken.
    Looks like I'll be purchasing that $25 "UnityDongle" to make it work.

Edit:
    I just spotted the Sign In / Out buttons.
    Sign out, shut down, restart Unity, work offline, still broken.
    Seriously, Work Offline still breaks my internet wtf.

Unity Dongle ordered.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  49. CicleOf14

CicleOf14

Tzan, hope it works out for you but make sure you keep the receipt to return it in case it doesn't! It's still working great for me. Just wish I had more time to work on my game overall. Like you, I'm lucky if I can spend even 15 minutes working on my game on any given day! haha.

50. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I didn't have many issues any more lately. I did have some issues with my WLAN stick in general, though. So it may just be that my hardware is going to give up the ghost some time in the future.

I stopped posting here because I cannot make out a pattern. And as long as I can't pinpoint it any further it's no use complaining. Unity know about it but without a definitive cause they can't do anything, either except maybe stumble upon it by chance, it seems. @Rene Damm already said that they don't know exaclty where the problems arise from, either. So unless we all find a common thing I guess this might remain an unsolved problem for some time.