Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Winforms in Unity?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by TOES, Jun 24, 2017.

1. TOES

TOES

I am making a Windows application that needs to combine both traditional Winforms and Unity 3D rendering. It is not a game, but a 3D tool.

So far I have been approaching the problem by making two separate applications. One using standard Winforms in Visual Studio, and one using Unity. Then these two communicate using sockets.

It works, but, it is a very clumsy approach.

Another approach, that seems far better, is to use Winforms from within Unity itself. I found some old tutorials that basically tells you to copy System.Windows.Forms.dll to your Unity asset folder, turn on full Net2.0 API support and then go ahead.

However, even the simplest test, like the one below, causes a crash and an exception (ArgumentException: GCHandle value cannot be zero)

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Windows.Forms;
    4. public class TestForms : MonoBehaviour {
    5.     void Start () {
    6.         Form f = new Form();
    7.         f.ShowDialog();  //Works, shows the form, but causes a crash
    8.     }
    9. }
    I read somewhere that Mono no longer supports Winforms, is that true? What would be the best approach now?

2. Severos

Severos

Why do you need win forms?? you can create whatever components there using unity UI and make the whole thing a single Unity project.

3. TOES

TOES

Using a custom UI gives a bad user experience.

4. bdovaz

bdovaz

I have done this but with a WPF application that integrates a 3D viewer developed in Unity that communicates with WPF via .NET remoting, so it's possible.

5. TOES2

TOES2

Why do you ask?? It should be perfectly obvious that it is better to use the systems own UI than something you hack together yourself, which the user is not familiar with. This is not amateur hour, and naturally there are loads of uses for Unity outside the realm of games.

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

There are multiple ways to integrate Unity into your application that uses different UI framework, like the -parentHwnd cmd line parameter. However, Unity does not support WinForms or anything similar outside of our own UI system in our scripting runtimes, so whatever you end up using will have to be used from outside of Unity.

TOES and Huszky like this.