Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Smart Sprite?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by CDF, Jun 2, 2016.

1. CDF

CDF

What happened to the smart sprite? was really looking forward to that.

2. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

We are doing quite a bit of redesign work on the Smart Sprite implementation and it was not ready to go into this release.

3. CDF

CDF

Ah ok, good to know

4. biscito

biscito

yet as it's a very cool feature is it possible to know when ?

5. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

The plan is for it to be in the next round of features we gather feedback on - so it depends on how quickly the current cycle of features takes, but we're expecting 3-4 months away right now.

6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

For a feedback build 3 / 4 months
    and for a final integration in unity ? another 3 months?

So I guess I come back in 6 / 7 months to see if its ready use it in a production game.

I really hope this is a underpromise overdeliver estimate, because the waiting for this feature is taking so long already.

It would be nice if unity was more modular, so each feature could be rolled out as a module, (plugin) independend of how other parts of unity progress.

7. biscito

biscito

MadeFromPolygons and Venkify like this.
  8. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

The alpha releases have been discontinued.
    But as stated before the plan is to include it in the next Experimental preview (2D Experimental Preview Release 2)

biscito likes this.
  9. biscito

biscito

so one month to go ?

10. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Smart Sprite is still in development. It will not be in the next few 2D Experimental Previews. We received a lot of great feedback when we first put it out in the wild. It's an awesome feature but the feedback also showed where it was lacking and what we need to improve. This means going back to the drawing board in some aspects. So currently I cannot say when it will be ready to be released in an experimental preview.
    It's current state would severely limit the features possibilities, and we don't want do that.

Cromfeli likes this.
  11. biscito

biscito

hey, @Johaness_Reuben

we recently realse "redstory" and we are currently working on some major change, so we are very interested in this
    let us know if we can help, and when it ready

cheers

12. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Ah now I see where your avatar is from. :) Red Story is really beautiful. Haven't played it yet, just watched a bunch of gameplay videos. Did you guys use a similar tools?

13. biscito

biscito

THX !!

@Johaness_Reuben yep, we used ferr2D but we probably gonna change for a 3D terrain, we are in a need of tools smartsprite

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  14. Makosai

Makosai

@Johaness_Reuben I wonder. In relation to Smart Sprite, and Tile Map too, how can we (the community) really help push the development of this so we can see it a lot sooner? There has to be something we can do collectively to make this easier and smoother on your end. :)

15. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

@QuaintShanty Thank you for asking. Generally giving feedback in this forum has been really helpful. In fact, Preview 2, which is coming out soon has incorporated quite a bit from this forum.
    Short answer. More feedback. This doesn't always have to be bugs or feature requests but also what is good, maybe certain things work really well for a particular thing someone is working on. This helps affirm direction and design.

Most important part though is general feedback on all the features. Currently TileMap has a lot of attention but some of the other features get less attention. It would help a lot if the community tried out all the features and gave feedback for them, it would definitely help move the Previews along too.
    Currently, some of the features maybe lost on some and the examples/demo project may only demonstrate a feature in a particular scenario. I'm working on creating better demos that show usage of the features together which should help.

I started writing a long description of our process which should help the community understand how we work, along with some of the decisions we make. But I think I'll make that its own post.

16. Makosai

Makosai

What about a thorough video review with table of contents labeled at the start indicating the timestamp for each particular subject? I would definitely take the time to put together a video where I tested multiple features, review them, give feedback, and upload it to Youtube.

17. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

That would be brilliant! It would also definitely benefit the community as well. I would just hold off starting work on it, just a few days as we get ready to release Preview 2. Probably better to start with that.

Makosai likes this.
  18. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Just a quick note on Smart Sprite, since its the topic of this thread :)

Smart Sprite is not in Preview 2. It will be some time before it comes back. As I mentioned earlier, we're back in refactoring and redesign of it. We're making improvements on the core of it. Additionally some of the work being done with the current previews will also directly benefit Smart Sprite.

19. Makosai

Makosai

Was there a delay? :) If so, it's all good. I've been on vacation. I get back tomorrow and I'll be free to do those tutorials whenever!

20. Foriero

Foriero

Just a simple question. Where can I get Preview 2?

21. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Just a slight delay on preparing somethings for the release. Preview 2 will be released very soon. It will be announced on this form.

22. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Hi,

are there any news regarding smart sprites yet?
    Or something when we can expect to see it in a build again? Soon / will still take some time / (probably) not this year / ... ?

23. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

@Fuzzy Smart sprite will not be in a build anytime soon. The redesign will take some time and a preview version will only be ready next year.

Cromfeli likes this.
  24. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

25. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

26. Xelnath

Xelnath

Next year, wow :O

27. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

slower than I would like, but yea, keep up the good work

28. xmuskrat

xmuskrat

Excited to check out smart sprites. When is this expected to land in a build?

29. Cris-Uy

Cris-Uy

Any updates regarding Smart Sprite?

30. Sailendu

Sailendu

Will the Smart Sprite ever be released or not? This is a really nice feature to have.

31. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

probably next year

32. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@Johaness_Reuben Any update regarding this feature? When can we expect to get access to it?

Makosai likes this.
  33. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

any news on smart sprite? Can't u just hire the ferr2D guy to make this or buy ferr2D just like you guys did for textmeshpro

34. DavidSmit

DavidSmit

I would love an update on it as well. Since Ferr2D is super buggy unfortunately.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  35. BTStone

BTStone

36. ScottyB

ScottyB

I just saw this today in the Unity Roadmap RSS feed:
    Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 9.07.53 am.png
    Obviously this isn't offical confirmation of the SmartSprite ship date and there is always a chance that fast progress is made on it and it makes it into 2017.2 but I wouldn't be holding out for it.

MadeFromPolygons and BTStone like this.
  37. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

@Johaness_Reuben please can we have an update, or alternatively can you comment on the suggestions by other members to acquire ferr2d.

Every single user of unity currently has to buy ferr2d to implement this, which is unacceptable considering the author of ferr2d @koujaku barely maintains his asset, almost never answers problems, and the asset is very buggy.

We really need this feature, otherwise modern rayman legacy style 2D graphics is just not achievable without massive overheads in terms of time cost.

BTStone likes this.
  38. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Hi All,
    We are in development of Smart Sprite. We've done some extensive work in the back-end and currently focusing on UX design and implementation. I will update more on the progress in the coming weeks.

39. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

@Johaness_Reuben thanks for the update. I really hope you guys don't abandon this implementation. Things like this are already in smaller engines.

40. TroopaVHS

TroopaVHS

@Johaness_Reuben hey ! Just to know if you have any news of Smart Sprite? I'm working on a 2D platform project and i'm really excited about it: know there are other solutions like Ferr2D ( very nice) but if Smart Sprite is about to come...:)
    Thank you !

41. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

No news is good news right?

:rolleyes:

42. TroopaVHS

TroopaVHS

i hope so :D

43. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Do you mean weeks? as in more than 4, so maybe months? o_O

44. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Months, still made of weeks..:D

Smart Sprite is actively in development. Aiming to get it out this year, but of course I can't guarantee.:)

Here's a pic
    upload_2017-9-6_13-14-48.png

Will try to post some work in progress vids soon.

45. TroopaVHS

TroopaVHS

Thank you Johannes for your pic and news ;)

46. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Honestly @Johaness_Reuben involving users in the build early will get you better feedback and ensure that by the time this is released it is not entirely redundant. Every day we wait is another day another asset is likely to come out with a better implentation.

We have been waiting more than a year. I remember when 4.3 introduced 2D features, its now 2017.1 and we still have NO viable way to do modern spline based 2D terrain without shelling out for a broken and buggy asset such as ferr2d.

Please open this up soon so we can make sure your on the right track, it is after all us that will be using the tech!

We really appreciate the work your all doing, but this really has gone on for far too long for such a pivotal feature!

47. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

@Daemonhahn We are getting close to releasing something of a preview. Currently testing so that all is working well and no major bugs. Yes, it has taken awhile to get here and community feedback was super important which led us to overhaul and redesign a lot of things from the ground up. During this time we have also released quite a few other 2D features/improvements which had a lot of community voice behind it.
    But all that said, I think we now have something which a lot better than what we had sometime ago and definitely a massive improvement from when we first started on it. Very excited to get this out to the community very soon! :D

48. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Great news and look forward to it. We have parked development on a large project due to poor support for these kind of features and very eager to see some progress!

49. Thiago_Baptista

Thiago_Baptista

So... did this feature make into 2017.2? If not, do you have any idea when it will be released? Is it possible that it will be released before 2017.3?

50. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

No, Smart Sprite is not in 2017.2.