Search Unity

2D Alpha Release 4

Discussion in '2D' started by ChuanXin, Oct 7, 2015.

1. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Hi All,

Here is a very nice video from our very own Andy Touch:

Thanks, Andy!

Please do head over to https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/2ddemos/wiki/Alpha_Release_4/ to get the build.

If you have any questions, comments and concerns, do let us know! All your feedback so far has been valuable and helps us to ship these features an upcoming Unity release!

Cheers!

RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. tedthebug

tedthebug

Wow, scriptable paintbrushes for 2&3d prefabs look awesome & will be a massive timesaver

3. Reaxgrim

Reaxgrim

oh was just watching that exact video as well before i hopped on here :p
    time to grab the build.

4. SVC-Games

SVC-Games

Just a question. I've noticed that all tilemaps have a "Sorting Layer" property and "order in layer" and works great with an orthographic camera. Can I use different tilemapas with a perspective camera and assign different Z values to each one? If so, I could mix 3D elements with 2D tilemaps at different distances giving a sensation of depth and/or parallax scrolling, right? The "sorting layer" and "order in layer" don't affect the Z value I guess?
    In that case that would be awesome. Imagine creating several layers of tilemaps with some elements in perspective 3D and jumping from one tilemap to another "in the background" (Something like rayman legends but using tilemaps and not only smart sprites)

5. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Yes, we do hope to be able to have different tile maps with different Z values with a perspective camera.

The "sorting layer" and "order in layer" does not affect the Z value but does change the order of rendering for each object, so this still has to be set up correctly to get the right effect. Mixing 3D elements with 2D tilemaps could also work with additional setup, like updating the sprite shaders to write to the Z Buffer and more.

6. Redden44

Redden44

Thanks for the video, it's really interesting and fun :)

About the smart sprite, can you input the coordinates of a point/angle or snap them to the grid with Ctrl, like when you drag something in the scene?

7. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

You should be able to input the coordinates of a point/angle. Snapping with the snap settings should be possible as well.

8. KreolDev

KreolDev

I'm wondering if it is possible to turn border sprites of SmartSprites into masks? So the sprite will hide edges of the actual fill texture. It would be much more helpful for my project, than current borders.

9. mcarthur03

mcarthur03

no time to watch it all so I don't know if you mention it, but do you plan to make a 2d navmesh system?

10. Sandbird_

Sandbird_

Requires pro version....i just uninstalled the normal unity5 for nothing lol.

11. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

This is not supported in the current version of SmartSprite, but we will see if we can do anything about it!

Yes, the AI team is working on it to make NavMesh support any orientation. You can track its status under AI: NavMesh workflow and bake API in the Unity roadmap.

KreolDev likes this.
  12. bluefoxicy

bluefoxicy

Hope we get some tutorials on using 2D tools to make games, including programming brushes, programatically using brushes at runtime (procedural generation and loading of levels stored in text files), and practical 2D tilemap level design.

13. enhawk

enhawk

Is there a way I can bake the tilemap data to use with other 5.2+ versions of unity?

14. enhawk

enhawk

@ChuanXin Seems like nothing is selectable when you start a new tilemap unless you paint with something, then the tiles appear in the palette.

A more user friendly way could be to let us browse through the tilemaps it's automagically picked up regardless of if you are in paint mode. At first I though it was broken, because this is the expected functionality of Tiled, 2d toolkit etc.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  15. enhawk

enhawk

@ChuanXin Also this might seem like a dim question but, the R4 of this on bitbucket doesn't have any examples... how do we make custom brushes?

16. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

The render mesh data for the tilemap is not exposed for now, so I guess not. The individual information for each tile can be retrieved through the TileMap APIs.

The palette picks up textures with the Sprite Mode set to Single/Multiple, although the palette is set to change. Please do send us a project with the texture asset/metadata and we will see what is blocking you.

This branch of the demos should be correct for R4. In the future, you will be able to make custom tiles as well other than custom brushes, so that you swap tiles easily in runtime (hence the missing brushes in that branch, but new scripts for tiles).

17. enhawk

enhawk

Brilliant thank you. Will be handy when brushes are part of the system.

Keeps getting better :)

BTW looks like a restart is needed after making new brushes for them to show up

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  18. Jiraiyah

Jiraiyah

you know what is damn funny? last night I finished a very simple tile map system for hobby, today i come online, and search and what do i see? UNITY ROCKS :D

19. biscito

biscito

hey, @ChuanXin

just wondering when the new beta is coming ?
    to be able to move smartsprite point when the Z is not 0

cheers

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  20. biscito

biscito

21. KreolDev

KreolDev

I'm also interested - I've heard from one of the videos, that tilemap and smartsprites support will come in unity 5.3, but in the roadmap unity 5.6 is mentioned. What is correct? I'm realy relying on this tech.

22. kuchaku

kuchaku

Most likely it got delayed, but official word would be nice. I've been on break from my project in part because I wanted to see how effective this will be for procedural purposes before rolling my own likely messy solution.

As it gets delayed more and more, it might be wise to look into other options. I have effective prototyping options, but nothing I would consider releasable.

I think in general relying on future technology for a serious project isn't a great idea. Schedules and plans can change.

23. KreolDev

KreolDev

We've got our own tilemap solution, but it isn't particularly good, so I'm hoping I wouldn't need to reinvent the whole wheel and they would actually deliver their tech in 5.3 or in the early 2016.

24. biscito

biscito

hey @ChuanXin

any news? great unity update but the 2D smartsprite is to cool to let it go

25. movra

movra

http://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

5.5 JUN 7, 2016
    2D: Atlas Manager
    2D: Masking
    2D: SmartSprite
    2D: Tilemap

26. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

So TileMap is for 5.5, any chance for tilemap of 5.5 supports iso tilemap (even in Alpha) ?
    these features will pass open beta before 5.5 ?
    Thx

27. biscito

biscito

those aren't "2D Alpha" i'm talking about 2D Alpha Release 5 base on unity 5.3

28. movra

movra

The fact that it has been pushed back from 5.3 in september to 5.4 in october to 5.5 now should give you an indication that there's little to be expected in the near future.

biscito likes this.
  29. Arowx

Arowx

Thinking of giving this a whirl for ludum dare is it stable and usable enough to use in game jams?

30. Yukichu

Yukichu

Forgive me if this was asked/answered elsewhere.

Are there plans to update the Unity engine to 5.3 (or 5.4 when applicable), or will this always be a 5.2 version until it's closer to being released? I'd love to use these, evenin

31. Tifoo

Tifoo

http://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

Mars 2016 :(

32. Storyteller

Storyteller

any chance there will be a more public Beta for Personal Edition users?
    something Im working on right now would greatly benefit from the Sprite Shape/ Auto Spline tools.
    Im moving forward on the other things in the game, but man, it would be great to see those tools. It'd be a shame to wait until summer to finish the build.

There are a lot of cool tools in there, which are getting pushed back.

Lordinarius and Tifoo like this.
  33. biscito

biscito

34. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

35. Lordinarius

Lordinarius

According to roadmap It seems new 2D features removed from 5.5 release. They are in Development sceme. This is sad, this is really sad for me. :(

Development

In-progress, timelines long or uncertain

2D: 9-Slice Sprites
    2D: Atlas Manager
    2D: Masking
    2D: SmartSprite
    2D: Tilemap
    2D: Sprite Editor Update

36. movra

movra

37. zenGarden

zenGarden

38. Xelnath

Xelnath

Is there any ETA on when the alpha builds will resume?

39. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

Just one quick question, is this compatible with Unity 5.3.3 or shall I install the editor that´s posted on the page?

40. enhawk

enhawk

Sad to see 9-slice sprite pushed back with the rest.

9-slice has been a finished feature for a while. Looks so useful too.

41. SVC-Games

SVC-Games

What happened to all the 2D features? They seem pushed to "uncertain" release date. Any word why? I don't expect an in-depth explanation but just some feedback. After all some of these features where announced for 5.3, 5.4...

42. zenGarden

zenGarden

This is to force personnal edition users to buy a Pro edition :p

43. SVC-Games

SVC-Games

I hope not, but the fact that there's a video with a really advance version of the 2D features and now it's pushed to "uncertain" is suspicious.

44. zenGarden

zenGarden

This is called magic marketing.

45. Xelnath

Xelnath

Are there any purchasable equivalents to these features on the Asset store? I want to get to prototyping and the current 2d builds are atrociously out of date.

46. ashley

ashley

Just watched the video at the top and its a real shame they've been pushed back. Some really useful things in there that I'd love to get my hands on.

47. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

Indeed, Its a shame, got a couple of 2D projects waiting for this :C

48. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

49. mgear

mgear

will this 2D alpha become available for all (instead of pro only), since beta's are open now..?

50. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Can someone recommend an asset that could provide similar tilemap feature?