Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

[Rel open source] Editor Window Designer

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by AhrenM, Dec 24, 2015.

1. AhrenM

AhrenM

Hi all,

Well after having it sit idle for several months while 'real life' took over I've decided to release Editor Window Designer as an open source project. If you're not sure what that is check out the thread here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/editor-extension-editor-window-designer.337474/#post-2282245

The code base was ready for a public beta prior to being release in the Asset store, but a couple of things tripped me up. I was having massive issues with the compiled editor referencing the open source widget framework. In this scenario an app-domain reload was losing all the object references to Designer window widgets. I'd been chasing serialization problems since day 1 and this one finally broke me. Fortunately it doesn't happen when the designer is lose code files so no problem with this release. Also I ran out of money and had to get a job.

I don't know if this will really take off as an OS project, but I'm not the first person to tinker with this idea, so if somebody decides to take a crack in the future, the code is available for pilfering provided it's not sold.

If anybody really wants to dig into it, two small enhancements that were next on my todo list:
    * Work out how to auto dock the Toolbox and Property windows somewhere useful. I sorted auto-docking the Canvas, but couldn't for the life of me work out how to reference the Hierarchy and Inspector windows in the dock code.
    * On the Canvas give a visible indicator as to the selected widget. I was thinking a thin red border or something.

Overall the code base is functional, but a bit fragile in places. A lot of things are WIP and sadly I just ran out of the financial backing to keep working on this project. ;)

Code is here:
    https://github.com/ahrenm/uAssist

WR

graphicer822 likes this.