Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Realtime GI shading problem

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by minev, Mar 29, 2016.

1. minev

minev

What is the cause of these blotches that occur mostly on big uniform surfaces, such as these walls?
    Using 5.3.4f1 with Realtime GI only on Default parameters.

Bez tytułu.png
    charts.PNG
    Bez tytułau.png

AntonioModer likes this.
  2. minev

minev

It looks like it could be connected to compression of data... or interpolation between differently shaded areas. Any clues where to look for answers ?

3. Stardog

Stardog

That's how the GI has always worked for me. I'm not sure you can fix it.

4. minev

minev

OK, it's just that my resolution was too coarse, it needs to be higher. Also, quoting the comment from the Unity SSRR Bedroom demo about their GI settings:

It’s more or less straightforward, with resolution generally on the high side:
    https://i.gyazo.com/46a8b1cee2cf3b184766b62ceba6209e.jpg
    The only fancier bit was increasing the Irradiance Budget and Quality from a custom set of Lightmap Parameters to get the lighting of the white walls smoother

5. Stardog

Stardog

I tried the Irradiance Budget/Quality thing but it didn't fix the rings. Maybe just increasing the resolution works.

6. minev

minev

forestrf likes this.
  7. minev

minev

Problem still persists, only Scene GI view that shows some clue is 'Lit Clustering' where patterns with artifacts are loosely tracked, as on pictures:

xcbc.PNG
    gxch.PNG

Unity Manual does not mentions this Scene View. Anybody knows what does this view show?

8. minev

minev

From Geomerics GDC presentation (http://www.geomerics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Unite-Europe-deck-with-notes.pdf):
    The lit clustering mode shows how each cluster is affected by lighting.This mode is useful if you want to see the lighting from Enlightens point of view on cluster level.

This points out that there is an error in how Cluster lighting information is divided to individual lightmap pixels.
    Anybody has a document or more information how to deal with this Enlighten beast ?
    Or why this Clustering/Lit Clustering view is broken in some parts?
    Przechwytywanie.PNG

9. Nexusmaster

Nexusmaster

Hi minev, I have the same issue, but I think it's from the irradiance (you can see the same artefacts in the irradiance view) somehow these areas get added up together and create this white edges, I will try to fix it in the gi shader. (if it's possible)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  10. Nexusmaster

Nexusmaster

Ok, I managed to blur out the effect a bit by sampling the realtimeLightmap in the GI shader, but the artefacts still remain. I think this is a bug and hopefully they will fix it soon :-(

11. _M_S_D_

_M_S_D_

I have had the very same issue since I picked up work on a previous project again. I halted work on it for the very reason that baking light and getting decent results was giving me too much trouble. Unfortunatly, while an issue where I previously got black blotches every here and there is now fixed, I get the same result you have in the OP with blotchly looking "reflections" on flat surfaces and also blotches of fully lit geometry elsewhere. Unfortunatly I have not found a solution for this and doubt there is one other than "wait for Unity to fix it", which after more than a year of constant issues with this and having to bake and rebake scenes over and over for acceptable results could easily take another year.

12. minev

minev

I have just done a recomputation with 5.3.4p4, latest stable release patch, problem persists as visible on ceiling in my scene.
    Implementation of Enlighten seems simply incomplete. I have tried reaching Geomerics support, but to no avail.
    Their latest blog posts are only showcasing improvements in Unreal's implementation of Enlighten, I do hope they plan on upgradeing Unity's one also.

Color picking (2.PNG

13. thefranke

thefranke

Unity Technologies

Hey everyone,

we have another post with a similar issue where the cluster is broken due to a bunch of back-faces in the scene. Are there any single-sided surfaces in this scene, too? Are the white triangles you see in the cluster in fact transparent (i.e., they represent holes in the cluster)?

Cheers

14. minev

minev

Hello, @thefranke
    Yes, some elements in the scene are defined/modeled from one side only. Still, we are seeing broken clusters in areas that do not even see/could hit those models, so I do not think it is connected.
    Here is a screenshot of part my scene, corresponding to my previously mentioned broken view you asked about.
    3.png
    Kitchen ceiling contains geometry elements with emissive faces and a spotlight in each of them, intersecting with regular plane of the ceiling. Clustering view shows white discrepancies around those elements.
    As for the regular 'white triangles', they are not transparent. As visible in the attached screenshot, it is very simple geometry there with one opaque material.

Error that we are experiencing does not seems connected to the broken clusters, but previously mentioned rings of incorrectly shaded realtime lightmap texels, whose pattern clearly follows borders of differently shaded areas visible in 'Lit Clustering' scene view, also attached in previous posts.

15. minev

minev

16. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

This is caused by interpolation of RGBM encoded data. We will fix this on platforms that can support rgb9e5 float format by using that instead in a future release.

buttmatrix likes this.
  17. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Fix is coming in 5.6, already available in the beta 3

minev likes this.
  18. minev

minev

On which platforms is the fix checked and working for now?

19. jjaycodev

jjaycodev

I'm having this problem too. Here's the weird thing though, it occurs on my computer, but not on my programmer's computer. So apparently it only occurs on certain machines? Would really appreciate more light on this problem.

20. KellerDev

KellerDev

I've noticed that this problem is a lot more prominent if the lighting is low, and you compensate it by camera exposure. If the exposure is about right, and only slightly changed by camera exposure image effect it's unnoticeable.