Search Unity

Auto Texture Tiling Tool Version 1.82, 2018.3 ready

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chris_Entropy, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

I have the problem, that I can't replicate this error. But I have a theory. I presume, that you try to instantiate an object with the Auto Texture Tiling component attached to it at runtime. I think that I have found a way to prevent this error.
    Can you please try to replace line 591 of the AutoTextureTiling.cs:

EditorApplication.MarkSceneDirty();

with this

if (!Application.isPlaying) { EditorApplication.MarkSceneDirty(); }

Maybe this will get rid of the error.

2. samusam

samusam

i can contact by email for my problem?

3. samusam

samusam

yes i istantiate prefab a run time, i try your solution

4. samusam

samusam

ok perfect, tnks

5. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Great, so the fix worked? I will upload the new version for all to have, but it will take some time. Everyone who needs it can get it directly from me. Just write to: support@layeredmind.de

6. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

The new version 1.72 was uploaded to the Asset Store and will be available soon.

7. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Version 1.72 was approved and is now available on the Asset Store.

8. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

As a next step I plan the following features:
    - Origin Anchoring: the texture will retain its position relative to the world origin point instead of the object center. This allows to align several objects' textures to the same point of reference.
    - Face dependent unwrapping: currently any object is unwrapped via cube projection. This results in strange behaviour with more complex objects, since independent faces can count as "the same side". With this options more complex objects can get unwrapped, and each face getting its own texture coordinates.

Which feature would you like to see implemented first? Which features are missing in your opinion?

9. JBR-games

JBR-games

Both sound like great added features... Personally i would vote for face dependant unwrapping.
    Thanks

10. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Thanks for the input :)
    I will add that Face dependent unwrapping then as a next step.

Mark_01 and JBR-games like this.
  11. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

I worked the last weeks to add the new feature to the auto texture tiling tool. I present to you Face Dependent unwrapping of Version 1.75 (coming soon, and with soon I mean over the course of the next week):

Behaviour with Cube Projection:

As you can see, all sides facing in the same general direction will share the same settings. This is fine for simple cubes, but might not be enough for more complex shaped.

Behaviour with Face Dependent unwrapping:

Now you are able to edit offset, rotation, scale and material of each face individually.

12. JBR-games

JBR-games

Looking forward to this added feature..
    Thanks

13. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Only a few more days until the new uploaded version is going live. Only a few more days to get it for the reduced price ;-)

JBR-games likes this.
  14. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

The new version 1.75 of the Auto Texture Tiling Tool is now available on the Asset Store! It features face dependent unwrapping and you can now use Face Selection and the Gizmo handles without attaching a collider to the object.

JBR-games likes this.
  15. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

I was just reminded, that I did not commit the tool with the newest version of Unity. It is already compatible and tested with 5.4, but now I also committed it with this Unity Version. Should be approved in a few days.

16. villeHelin

villeHelin

Hi Chris, and thanks for this tool - I just bought it and it's very easy to use! :)

... but but but two things:
    - I have objects with AutoTextureTiling.cs attatched to them, and after I bake the lightmaps for my scene, the lighting on these objects look pretty weird - does Auto Texture Tiling Tool support lightmaps?
    - Runtine, play pressed, if I click one of such objects in the Scene window, Unity (5.4.0f3) just gets stuck and I need to kill it... ?

Thanks for the great tool!

17. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Hi villeHelin, thanks for purchasing the Auto Texture Tiling Tool. Regarding the lightmaps, you might have to re-bake them after applying or changing things in the tool, since it re-arranges some parts of the mesh and the UV-coordinates. I will do my own tests with lightmaps and check out the problems and if there is a way to fix them.

Regarding your crash, I will take a look asap, try to reproduce this bug and push out a fix. You can send me an eMail to support@layeredmind.de, so I can send you the updated package as soon as I have fixed it (the approval process of the Unity asset store always takes several days...)

18. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

The Auto Texture Tiling Tool package for Unity 5.4 has been approved and is now available in the Asset Store. I am currently adding some functionality which was requested by some people, and will upload that soon.

19. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

I am done with the new Version 1.77, which adds support for Light Maps and Occlusion baking, as well as some bug fix and some minor improvements.
    I uploaded the new version to the Asset Store, but it will take some time get approved by Unity, as usual.

20. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

The new Version 1.77 with Light Maps and Occlusion Baking, as well as some bug fixes and minor additions, has been approved and is available on the Asset Store.

21. Mark_01

Mark_01

Hi Chris,

I just picked up this tool a few days ago, and WOWOWOW!!!
    no other asset on the store can do the kind of things i was hoping to
    do with Auto Texture Tiling Tool. Thank you for you fast support on
    email and implementing a feature I was hoping you could do. :)

I have a few more idea that might help make the tool, faster for some
    tasks/work flows. I have only had a few days and not much time,
    to work with ATTT, that said .. once i get a better grasp of all
    the nuances of your asset.. I will be wanting to write a review..

To me this tool, is so useful .. there are so many different possible
    uses .. I think, it is under valued and the things i am doing with it.
    Your tool, is one of a kind on the asset store. It is intuitive and
    powerful at the same time.. I have not had time to RTM yet..
    So i just wanted to stop in and say Hi, and I really like using
    Auto texture Tiling Tool!!

Thanks for the great tool,
    Mark

JBR-games likes this.
  22. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Thanks for the kind words :)

I am currently on vacation, but I already have some new plans in mind for some improvements and features for the Auto Texture Tiling Tool. I will tell you more once I am back.

23. exodrifter

exodrifter

I purchased your plugin because I expected it to unwrap the UVs for my procedural mesh so it could be lightmapped. While it appears to work fine for UV1, the UV2 set appears to have been mapped incorrectly.

incorrect_uv2.png

This problem also appears to happen in your example scene:

example_unwrap.png

I know you have already mentioned in the thread that you have fixed this; am I doing something wrong? Otherwise, can you fix this issue?

24. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Hello exodrifter, thank you for purchasing the Auto Texture Tiling Tool. Last time I checked the test scene worked as intended. The tool normally does not touch the UV2 coordinates and just copies them to the new mesh, therefore preserving the original Lightmap UVs. I will check this error as soon as possible.

/Edit: Which Unity version are you using? Do you have the newest version of the tool loaded?

25. exodrifter

exodrifter

I am using Unity 5.4.0f3 and I downloaded the tool today.

I was under the impression that this tool would generate the UV2 coordinates, so it unfortunately won't do what I originally expected. In fact, your tool is somehow generating them for my procedural mesh even though it has none assigned to it, which is kind of strange.

It still remains true that I see this lightmapping problem in your example scene when I try baking it. This problem appears when you have applied the following changes:
    • Set the static flag of ComplexShape to true
    • Uncheck Auto in the Lighting tab
    • Press build to generate the lightmaps.

26. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

It seems that I have pinpointed the source of the problem. Thanks for pointing it out. I will make a fix available for everyone as soon as possible. In the meantime I have a workaround for cube projection objects. Anyone encountering these kind of problems can contact me to receive it.

27. ctrlntech

ctrlntech

Hi Chris,

I have purchased the script, but I am facing a problem when trying to applying the script to a 3d model.
    I have a 3d model with blend shape applied(Exported from MAYA in .fbx format) and I imported this in unity(which coming as a skinned mesh rendered), but when trying to add the script it showing message like that "there was no mesh, adding a default cube mesh" and all material information getting lost, so how can I apply this script to my 3d model?

Attached Files:

28. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Unfortunately, the auto texture tiling tool currently only works on Mesh Renderers, not on Skinned Mesh Renderers. Sorry for that. I think you can refund the tool, and I will change the description to make it more clear, that it does not work for Skinned Meshes.
    I would normally put it on my list of features to add, but unfortunately I have already tried to add this feature, and it will not work with the current API Unity is providing. Sorry for the inconvenience.

29. ctrlntech

ctrlntech

ok.. thanks for the prompt reply... but can you please guide me as how I can get a solution for this as well the texture is getting stretched when the model is changing shape with the help of blendshape. Please help. I can send you the details of the project if you provide your email.
    Thanks

30. macdude2

macdude2

@Chris_Entropy – Just wondering what type of algorithm you're using to do the UV mapping? Is it just cube projection or is something more complex along the lines of what is used to do automatic mapping in Maya?

31. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

I have created my own kind of algorithm to do the UV-Mapping. I basically sort all the triangles according to their normals and group them to faces. In the Cube-Projection mode of my Tool, I sort them by the six sides of a cube and its normals (so basically Up, Down, Left, Right, Forward and Back). In the Face-Dependent mode, I let them find their normals themselves and group them according to that. It's a huge bunch of messy code and I am still working on improving it, since it does not yet work very well on rounded objects, like a sphere. You are better off using Cube Projection for that, that will work like a charm ;-)

32. fabianVr

fabianVr

@Chris_Entropy - I just ran into the same problem with the messed up lightmap uv's. This makes the plugin pretty useless for our purposes, so I'm very interested in the workaround you mentioned. Cube projection is totally sufficient :)

buttmatrix likes this.
  33. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

I sent you a PM with the Beta-Version which includes this workaround. I should soon be able to make a new version, which includes the fix, and maybe a few new features.

JBR-games likes this.
  34. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Unfortunately, I am swamped with work (again). But I managed to package and upload a new version with some minor bugfixes. It will be up in a few days.

JBR-games likes this.
  35. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

The new version of the Auto Texture Tiling Tool is up and available!

Mark_01 likes this.
  36. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

I added a new feature on a request from you guys. The Auto Texture Tiling Tool can now import materials already assigned in a 3D modeling tool. So you can now pre-apply your materials, and the Auto Texture Tiling tool will make them tile, without overwriting them (in most cases ;-) ).
    Hope you enjoy the new feature, as soon as it is online. If you have any suggestions for more features or changes, please message me!

37. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

I was interested in your asset but I needed to make sure I could use it without having to have the scripts running in real time. It seems like you can use the asset to set the textures and then save the model out. Is that correct? I saw where you need to attach a .cs script to objects for it to work and wanted to make sure I could get rid of this after all edits were finalized. I need to make sure this won't introduce any additional rendering overheard.

38. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Hi there, thanks for your interest in the ATTT. Yes, you can save the changed model as an asset. You can even remove the AutoTextureTiling.cs script without saving the model first and your changes to the UV and tiling will stay. However when you re-apply the script, you will have to put in your data again. The AutoTextureTiling.cs has no Update method and not even no Awake method in the build or in the play mode In-Editor, so there is literally no overhead, even if you keep the script attached. It is only used to store the data of your changes and adjustments to the UV-mapping.

I hope I could answer all your questions sufficiently. If you need more info feel free to ask.

JBR-games likes this.
  39. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Thanks Chris, that's great. Looking forward to trying this out.

40. Magic73

Magic73

Hi, I'm looking at a tool like this.
    I have few question about:

1) Is it possible to save the new mapped mesh to another one? (so that it can be marked as static)
    2) Is it possible to work on submeshes? I have a complex mesh (single fbx), and I need to remap only a portion of the mesh, leaving untouched the other uvs.

41. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

@Chris_Entropy Amazing tool - more on that later - but, bit of an issue.

I have a mesh with multiple materials (two; green and grey). When applying ATT.cs to the mesh, the auto-tiling takes effect, but the materials become rearranged; things that are supposed to be green become grey, things that were grey become green, etc. In fact, it seems to be ignoring that certain faces actually contain separate materials and combines them (see attached 'Issue').

Also, can confirm that for some imported meshes this asset is producing artifacts with Baked GI.
    1. import mesh -> generate lightmap UVs -> apply ATT -> mark static -> Baked GI = UV artifacts
    2. If I fidget with the 'normal tolerance' on ATT, it fixes itself, but breaks again if baked
    It is also unclear how to 'undo' the UV mapping done by ATT. Even after the script is removed, the UV mapping remains.

Before.PNG After.PNG Issue.PNG

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  42. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

@Magic73 What do you mean with your point #1? You can save the mesh (with a button in the inspector on the ATTT component) as an asset and then create a prefab from your object, which will then be instanced and will share the same Auto Texture Tiling settings. Is this what you are looking for?

Unfortunately it is not possible to work with submeshes. But since @buttmatrix also asked, I think I will create a new type of script, that will not re-arrange already applied materials, but work with these presets. I might be able to get this new functionality up and running in the course of next week, but this is currently not supported by the ATTT.

You also can't undo the UV mapping once it is applied, since it will be completely overridden (and sometimes even the mesh modified) in order for the tool to work. You have to take a new reference of the mesh if you want to have a "fresh copy" of the UV settings.

43. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

I see, this is good to know and thanks for your support.

For point #1, I am experiencing the same issue from post #73, wherein UV2 channels are being corrupted somehow by ATT, specifically for Baked GI.

44. Magic73

Magic73

yes :) Thanks!

45. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

After applying this script to objects, if I attempt to copy that mesh from one scene to another, the pasted object is colliders only (?)

46. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Try the same thing as mentioned above:

You can save the mesh (with a button in the inspector on the ATTT component) as an asset and then create a prefab from your object, which will then be instanced and will share the same Auto Texture Tiling settings.

Without saving the asset, the mesh will only be saved on the object in the scene.

47. polystyring

polystyring

Hi Chris, I have been playing with this asset and it's very cool! I was just wondering if it's possible to add a feature where you can select the UV area you want to work with and then apply that to the selected face? That would make this very useful for working with tile sheets / texture atlases. Thanks!

48. Chris_Entropy

Chris_Entropy

Hi @polystyring, thanks for purchasing the Auto Texture Tiling Tool. The feature you mention is quite interesting, but I fear it is not very easy to implement. I would have to split the faces into smaller sub-sections according to the texture atlas areas, which brings a whole world of trouble. I don't think that I can implement such a feature in the foreseeable future, but I will put it on my "feature whish list".

49. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

@Chris_Entropy is there any progress on the fix mentioned in this post? or the UV2 issue?

50. polystyring

polystyring

I understand, thanks for letting me know.