Search Unity

Disappointed in 5.6f3 for not fixing major reported bugs since 5.5 :/ Pleading for a patch? :)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MrLucid72, Apr 1, 2017.

1. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

There are 3 major bugs reported by more people than just my teammate and I since 5.6 -- and a gamebreaking one introduced in 5.6 beta. All not fixed in 5.6 final :(

1. Pressing the Play button while in the editor simply does nothing until restart:
    You cannot play until you restart Unity. This combines miserably with bug #2 as a "combo bug".
    http://recordit.co/Toai8OviNP (Screencast)

2. Collab services block threads for 1.5 to 2 minutes on a powerful PC every time Unity starts up:
    Combined with Bug #1 where you're forced to restart, this is quite the headache:

3. Disappearing UI in the editor:
    Move or toggle something to make it show again. Not too bad, but happens often enough to cause hair pulling :p http://recordit.co/MonGQLoSQo (Screencast)

4. [Last tested on 5.6f1, anyone try this on 5.6f3?] FB SDK standalone broke in 5.6 on Unity's side when compiled:

Not here since 5.5 (worked in 5.5), but broken since 5.6 introduced FB GameTown or whatever it's called (FB's target build). Whenever you use FB standalone, it works in the editor - but not when built: When compiled (exe), it'll say FB's GameTown(?) is not found as if I compiled it from there instead of running standalone.

This means all devs with FB integration are at the mercy of Unity until it's fixed (we're one of them /cry) and have to tell customers our advertised features don't work anymore.

5. [New] One thing major I forgot about: Vulkan crashes 50% of users on same project. It's reporting to crash 50% of the people that run it -- it'll either work amazing or not work at all, crashing instantly at the start. For me, it works great! For my teammate running the same project, it doesn't work at all. For about 20 out of 40 closed alpha testers, they report crashing instantly. The others report a great success.

Please don't let this be like UNET where you just dump a new feature, then say "We're done!", and move on after all these error reports. This is another reason why 5.6f3 should not have been called final for a feature so early in testing ~

#1, #2, and #3 are just headache bugs, but when you're working 10hrs/day, it gets pretty stressful, like a mosquito constantly flying around your head -- esp since it was reported back in 5.5 beta and still not fixed in 5.6 final :(

As for #4, this is pretty gamebreaking rather than just a headache -- esp. since it was introduced in 5.6 beta, hoping to see a patch fix this.

Please fix bugs before adding features <3 A patch would be lovely.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    SwiftIllusion and MrEsquire like this.
  2. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

For #3, do you have any reflection probes in the scene? I found when there are reflection probes that are set to bake at awake, sometimes non of the UI appear until you do something with the editor windows like resize a window. This has been going on since 5.3.6.

3. dadude123

dadude123

I have #3 as well but it literally "crashes" the whole UI.
    Luckily I have my UI in a different scene that is loaded additively. So when it happens I can just rightlick "unload" and then "load" again. (Which is the only way to bring back anything drawn by a canvas!!)

How is stuff like this not fixed yet?
    It's been months... but it seems not enough developers at Unity are using it themselves.
    Otherwise things like that would have been fixed ages ago...

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you got any bug numbers so I can look into it? I have not encountered these issues myself, have you tried a new project?

5. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Not only that, but braking other stuff. For some odd reason, when i click a button in my project that should only close a panel (and does just that in 5.5.2, game is released already) it now loads up a scene!
    Also, how do i choose whether to build for Windows, Mac OSX or Linux?

BUG 5.6.jpg

6. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

I have seen this in not a new project, but demo projects as well -- my teammate reports them too.

#1 = Case # 893748 (closed due to dupe - but didn't say which dupe. At least this means it's reproduced). I probably posted another ticket about this like 6 months ago I'l look for later.

#2/3
    I can't find the case #'s on a quick search (I probably made more than 1 report, so I'll get back to you a bit later (I'm literally just posting during initial alpha launch compile downtime, so I'm a bit in a rush!). Will post again :) Thanks for looking into these!

7. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

You need to have the modules installed. Looks like you only installed the editor and no platforms. Use the download tool used to install to select the platforms you need.

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The first one was is still active and with the collab team. It was filed about a month ago. I'm not sure why the duplicate is not showing on the issue tracker, it should be. I'll look into it tomorrow.

9. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

No i can guarantee you that i installed everything needed. Twice. Editor, Mac, Linux, win... I've been using Unity since unity 3.xx

If you don't have the modules, the editor shows you a link to download the missing module.

10. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

@karl_jones
    when i click on facebook game room, it says that i don't have the standalone modules installed.
    If i click on the download button, the browser opens up in a unity page for the module but it's a page that says that the page does not exist.

capture1.JPG capture2.JPG

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  11. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

12. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

One major thing I forgot to add:

5. [New] One thing major I forgot about: Vulkan crashes 50% of users on same project. It's reporting to crash 50% of the people that run it -- it'll either work amazing or not work at all, crashing instantly at the start. For me, it works great! For my teammate running the same project, it doesn't work at all. For about 20 out of 40 closed alpha testers, they report crashing instantly. The others report a great success.

I have some good testers that are submitting logs, if you need any

EDIT: Here's 1, win10 64bit https://f.robflop.pw/tol/vulcan_crash_2017-04-02_210134.7z

EDIT 2: The main exception was "This thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access". Does Vulkan require Admin access for whatever reason?

EDIT 3:
    Yep, another virtual access denied -- seems to be reproduced: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2FgqC2Y-clga0R0WGFQZlF0M0U?usp=sharing << Another dump. Making a bug report.

13. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Guess it's back to 5.5.2. Or a different platform. I mean, not building to standalone and not being able to re download a module that should be installed already?

14. Tak

Tak

Vulkan itself is pretty new - do all of your testers have sufficiently recent drivers, etc.?

15. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

It looks like you do have the module, as you say it should have the download option if you do not. Can you share the editor log? Did you try with a new project, it sounds like maybe the facebook stuff could be causing issues.

16. Maxpeinas

Maxpeinas

#3 can be "fixed" by clicking on aspect/resolution button in game window each time GUI disappears, though it's annoying, yea.

17. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Yes -- and even the other team developer (more senior than I am) crashes

As for FB - Is there anyone that can address the FB standalone issue when compiled?

EDIT: I filed a bug report and included some dumps for Vulkan crashes: Case 897683

18. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

I'll try, but there are other weird stuff with 5.6. Like a simple "close" button that has just a gameObject.enabled=false command, now loads up a different scene, and i can't for the life of me debug that thing. Nothing shows wrong in the editor and nothing was added to that object. And 5.6 is also compiling scripts every time i open the project. I'll also try to delete the library folder.
    Editor log says that even the ios and android native extensions are not installed, but as the image shows, the panel for them is there.

Attached Files:

19. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Did you install to the same directory? Perhaps try a clean install, maybe the old modules from 5.5 are being loaded into 5.6 although if that's the case then its a bug.

20. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

At first yeah, like any other install.
    But the 3rd time trying i uninstalled everything, including VS2017, and then tried installing again.

Edit: @karl_jones : Nope, deleting the library and forcing a re-import didn't fix it. Neither does making a new project helped.

21. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Could you file a bug report regarding this please?

Hi. This is still an active bug. You can track the status here: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ipts-will-cause-the-play-button-to-stay-stuck

22. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

23. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Back to the matter at hand -- any official addresses to these core issues, @karl_jones ? Will there be a patch? Vulkan crashes on 50% of people with a virtual access violation exception, and FB standalone is 100% broken when compiled, mistakenly looking for gameroom. We have all these FB features coded, and have to recursively go through them and disable them, days before alpha! :/

24. Dave-Carlile

Dave-Carlile

To be fair, if you're only days before a release you should most definitely NOT upgrade to a new version of your tools - any tools, not just Unity - that's just begging for things to go wrong.

25. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

They are still all active bugs. Once they are fixed then we will look to backport them if safe to do so but we can't say for sure until they are fixed. The teams are actively looking into theese issues at the moment.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    MrLucid72 likes this.
  26. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Perhaps we put our faith too much in Unity's new stable edition, hoping it would be a giant leap in stability (and it was, actually) -- We were crashing so often in 5.5 when we weren't crashing that we were determined 5.6 would be better since 5.4 was super stable. The thing is -- 5.6 IS better in terms of less crashing (+combined with the Unity freeze on services connect bug, 5.5 was hair-pulling in terms of stability)! For the sake of sanity, we made the decision (not realizing FB standalone broke, anyway).

FB standalone worked in the editor, too, just not compiled so we found out late. Of all the things we expected to be unstable, this was not one of them foreseen. 5.6 is definitely an improvement on 5.5 in terms of stability, however there's still a long way to go. It was still worth the upgrade to 5.6 to keep our sanity with less crashes :p

Overall, it's just a bit sad that 5.6 final is left in a beta-like state. It's definitely not a dev issue -- the changelog shows everyone works hard as hell. It's probably an upper mgmt change that believes features are more important than stability/testing/fixing bugs.

@karl_jones Sounds good, cheers~

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    protopop likes this.