Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Services still blocking all threads while logging in with every Unity launch

Discussion in '5.6 Beta' started by MrLucid72, Mar 20, 2017.

1. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Hey guys --

For the 5.6 launch, I am really hoping it will include putting Services on it's own thread -- it blocks all operations while signing in. I remember reading it was going to be released for 5.6, but I am afraid that I haven't seen it yet :/

I probably restart Unity about 10 times a day -- if it takes 10 minutes to sign in each time, that's about an hour wasted daily.

It would be really, really nice to see this fix (services sign in on a separate thread) in 5.6f2 :)

<3

TL;DR: Signing into services blocks all threads, making launching Unity a 10-minute task. There were plans of having it on a separate thread in 5.6, so please please add it :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Hold on, you're spending close to 10 minutes waiting for the Services window to display after the Editor launches?

3. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Yes -- my teammate, too -- we use collab, if that helps. Our project is quite big (it's a 3D online mplayer game), so I don't know if size impacts this wait time. I have a decent i5, 16gb ram, nvidia gtx 970, 150mbps down connection. However, upon signing in, I'm frozen for up to 10 minutes until I'm 100% logged in and collab is loaded.

Ever since we used collab, it's always done this. We LOVE collab, but this part sucks :D

4. superpig

superpig

Any chance you could record a screen capture video of it, the next time you're launching Unity? That'd be extremely helpful to demonstrate exactly which parts of Unity have/haven't loaded before the freeze happens, and will save us going back and forth a bunch of times with more questions.

5. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Hmm, ok so 1m30s frozen, hahah... sure felt like 10 minutes :D

6. superpig

superpig

Aha, thanks! This looks very similar to what I've seen on other large Collab-enabled projects, which was a freeze while Collab is hashing the assets in your project to check if updates are needed. I've asked the Collab team if they can take a look at this thread and see if they agree.

MrLucid72 likes this.