Search Unity

Black screen hiding new Unity 5.5 splash screen

Discussion in 'Android' started by icebear007, Dec 9, 2016.

1. icebear007

icebear007

Hi,

I'm trying to use the new splash screen feature in Unity 5.5. The preview in the editor looks good but running it on the phone gives me an problem. Instead of starting with the splash screen animation, I get a black screen. In the middle of the splash screen animation (in my case after around 3 seconds), the splash screen suddenly gets visible. So it looks like the splash screen is running correctly but the black screen is hiding it for some time.
    Does anyone else have a similar issue? Does anyone have an idea how to solve it or what the cause could be?

I'm running the game on Android 6.0.1.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

This is a known issue on iOS and Android. We have a fix coming in a future patch. As a workaround try loading an empty scene as your first scene.

icebear007 likes this.
  3. icebear007

icebear007

Great, thanks Karl. Do you have an ETA when the patch will be available? If you need help to test the patch, I'm happy to spend some time on it.

Thanks,
    Alex

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The Android fix just went into 5.5.0p3. We are hoping to also get the iOS fix into the same patch but its not in just yet so cant gurantee iOS yet. 5.5.0p3 is scheduled for December 21st although patches can sometimes get delayed if QA find issues.

5. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

I've also had an issue where the standard splash screen is barely visible on Android. I can barely see the Unity logo, but it never reaches "full-white" brightness. Hopefully that will be fixed as it looks a bit weird.

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes this should fix it.

DroidifyDevs likes this.
  7. icebear007

icebear007

That's great. Thanks Karl.

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

No problem. The iOS fix has now also landed into p3. So it should be a good patch for splash screen problems.

9. tanaka280

tanaka280

I just updated to 5.5.0p3 and the splash screen problem is still there on iOS. Also, the p3 release notes only mention Android being fixed.

Any word on when iOS splash screens will work properly?

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Seems that the iOS fix was removed last minute as it caused some issues. I have been off this week so I missed this news. It looks like it will now be January before the fix can be reapplied once the other issues are resolved.

11. icebear007

icebear007

I can confirm 5.5.0p3 is fixing the issue on Android. However, it introduced another issue. In 5.5.0p2, the first scene was loaded immediately after showing the logos. Now, it takes a few seconds. In that time, the background image is visible but it gets distorted after a bit. There's no error message in the logs.

12. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

It should match the preview now. There is a 0.5 sec delay after the logos are shown and it then transitions over to the scene during this delay. If your scene has a lot in it with lots of awake/start code then its possible this could cause the longer delay. How is the image distorted? Is it due to changing from landscape to portrait or are you calling SetResolution in the scene which could possibly distort it. Please file a bug report so I can take a closer look.

13. icebear007

icebear007

Thanks Karl. I've submitted a bug report with an example scene and a screenshot. The case number is 866044.

karl_jones likes this.
  14. icebear007

icebear007

15. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

icebear007 likes this.
  16. icebear007

icebear007

Fantastic, thanks Karl.

17. turnsy

turnsy

Karl, can you please confirm whether the iOS fix has been added to 5.5.0p4 (11th Jan)?

18. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The iOS fix is in 5.5.1p1.

19. lloydg

lloydg

Hi @karl_jones, any chance we have an ETA on 5.5.1 / 5.5.1p1 release?

20. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

ETA is 25th January. This can slip sometimes but this is the date we are aiming for.

lloydg likes this.
  21. JoseArias

JoseArias

Hi @karl_jones !
    First of all, thanks for all the effort. One year ago I wasn´t sure about using unity and now I know it was the right decision.

I was looking for information about this and 1 week later, I have found this thread. I was very concerned about this issue.

A few days ago I updated to 5.5.04p to fix the splash screen bug and I faced the "noise screen" bug in Android. That patch is different right? The one that you are taking about wasn´t released and the ETA is the 25th january

I am asking it because I don´t know if it was supposed to be fixed in Android in the 04p and the 5.5.1 is just for iOS. In that case, I am still having the problem in Android.
    In unity answers I posted the picture
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1299469/strange-grey-image-after-splash.html

Thanks!!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  22. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi. The noise issue is a separate bug. I believe it is now fixed, I am just waiting on QA to verify it. That fix is not likely to make it into 5.5.1p1 as the cutoff is today. It will be in a followup patch. Watch the patch notes for case 863528

JoseArias likes this.
  23. icebear007

icebear007

Hi Karl,

The case says it's now fixed in 5.6.0. What's the fastest way to get the fix? Is it in the latest 5.6 beta? Does is make sense to wait for a possible 5.5.1 patch or do you think it is better to roll back to 5.4 to avoid this issue?

Thanks,
    Alex

24. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

If you are happy to wait then its on the way to a 5.5 patch. QA just need to test it and then it should be ready. I would estimate 5.5.1p2-3

icebear007 likes this.
  25. breban1

breban1

@karl_jones How do these types of bugs make it through QA? I spent hours trying to get the splash screen working in 5.5 to no avail. Decided to go back to 5.4.4p1, but that one behaves like 5.4.3p3 which shows my splash screen, then the white Unity "Personal edition" flashes for a 1/2 second, then my first scene shows up. It looks terrible either way.

Every build with a simple scene does it for me, how does an iOS/Android build not get tested? Some of us are in production and just need stuff to just work.

Thanks

26. lloydg

lloydg

That android issue was added in 5.5.0p3 because of this I think:
    • (835453) - Android: First scene is now loaded asynchronously while the splash screen is displayed.
    5.5.0p2 is safe to use to avoid the issue.

27. breban1

breban1

Thanks @lloydg, although I was using 5.5.0f3, so I don't think it's the same issue. My problem was the very dark splash screen, you could barely see the Unity or my logo. The "Flashing" of the Unity logo AFTER my splash screen is quite annoying still. I have no problem with the Unity logo showing up, but not like this.

Brian

28. lloydg

lloydg

Ahh okay, The issue I had on Android was a big glitching screen just after the splash screen and before my first scene loads.

29. icebear007

icebear007

Hi @karl_jones,

With Unity 5.5.1p1 released yesterday, can you give us a new ETA for this fix? Is it going to be in p2/3 or do we have to wait until the official 5.6 release?

Thanks,
    Alex

30. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The iOS fix is in 5.5.1p1 and the Android fix will be in 5.5.1p3

icebear007 likes this.
  31. icebear007

icebear007

I've just tried 5.5.1p3. Good news is that I can't see artifacts any more. However, I'm back to the initial problem of a black screen hiding the splash screen. I don't have a custom splash screen so the black screen is just hiding the Unity logo. @karl_jones I'm sure that's not what you want.

Basically this is what I get:
    1. start app
    2. black screen for 3 seconds
    3. first scene comes up

I can't reproduce the issue with a new project.

32. icebear007

icebear007

Interesting, I restarted my game 10 times on my phone and I got the correct Unity logo twice. The other 8 times the black screen was hiding the logo. Restarting a new project 10 times always showed the logo.
    Anyone else with the same issue?

33. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you tried any different devices? Try updating android sdk, I have seen this fix similar issues.

34. icebear007

icebear007

I've tried it on two different devices with the latest SDK but the issue remains.

35. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Can you screenshot your player settings for the splash?

36. icebear007

icebear007

37. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Does it work if you remove the background image and just use a color?

38. icebear007

icebear007

Using a color instead of a texture doesn't fix it.

39. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

How big is your project, are you able to share it?
    Can you make a video of the problem?

40. AgusB

AgusB

Hi, I'm having a problem which might be the same. Just updated to 5.5.1p3, did not change anything in the project (just wanted to fix the splash). When I launch the app in the phone everything is black, no splash is shown, almost instantly the game sounds start playing, so the splash screen is gone (the problem is not that it's not visible, it just doesn't happen at all, as soon as I launch the app it starts in the first scene). ALSO, the screen is black. Completely black, no matter if I change scenes. I can't get anything other than black. I can press the buttons (know where they are by memory) and I can hear the sounds tho... The game also crashed, in several devices... which previously did not.

I use IL2CPP btw...

41. AgusB

AgusB

Tried again with Mono instead of IL2CPP, black problem is gone. Splash is back, but it's still buggy and glitchy

42. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Can you file a bug report please?

43. SteveJ

SteveJ

I was about to post a question, but I'm guessing this thread answers it. So I shouldn't expect the splash screen to work at all in Unity 5.5.0f3, right? Cause I'm finding on an iOS build, I just get a quick flash of a solid colour (the very dark Unity "teal") and then it moves straight into my first scene.

I can't upgrade beyond 5.5.0f3 because of another issue (https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/patch-5-5-0p1-errors.445210/), so I'm assuming I just can't do anything with the splash screen until 5.6 comes out.

44. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes you need 5.5.1p1 for the iOS fix or 5.6

45. stevenatunity

stevenatunity

I've been compiling with Mono and haven't had an issue with the splash screen on android, however when trying to build with IL2CPP (which I need due to another issue with play services) the splash screen doesn't work as well.

I have two scenes, a loading screen (basically an image and a script waiting for the next scene to load) and my main game.

With IL2CPP the Unity splash screen shows up fine but when my loading screen appears the background colour of the Unity splash darkens my splash screen image.

It appears the Unity splash screen background colour is acting as an overlay.

Trying on 5.5.1p4.

46. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

If it's still an issue can you file a bug report please?

47. stevenatunity

stevenatunity

Done :)

karl_jones likes this.
  48. jpsraga_ashish

jpsraga_ashish

Hi Karl,

I have Unity version 5.5.2f1(3829d7f588f3) Personal Edition and I am building a project for Android.

I am assuming my issue is similar to the one going in this thread which is
    "Splash screen preview works perfectly fine in UnityEditor but when I run it on android, unity logo splash appears and then for around 2-4 seconds a white screen appears and then my first scene is loaded."

Is this a known issue or I am doing something wrong. I found a reference link on google for an issue similar to mine
    https://forum.ionicframework.com/t/white-page-showing-after-splash-screen-before-app-load/2908/3

You have replied in this thread "The Android fix just went into 5.5.0p3".

So does this patch fixes this issue or this is a new bug.

49. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

That version does have the fix. The most common cause for this is a long loading time that overshoots the splash screen time. The splash finishes showing but the scene is still not ready so the background is shown whilst the loading is completed. I plan to add the ability to hang on the final logo in the future but for now try to lighten your first scene or load an empty scene and then load the main scene from that with a loading screen to fill the time.

jpsraga_ashish likes this.
  50. FMTharak

FMTharak

I'm using unity 5.5.2f1 and what happens for me is that first I get a white screen, then it turns black and then my splash screen appears. I made an empty scene to see if it was a loading problem but the same thing occurs. If I remove my splash screen I get white, black and the usual (almost black) unity splash.
    I think this started to happen after I upgraded my unity from personal to PRO.

EDIT: I was not removing the splash, I has removing the splash logo. If I uncheck the "Use Splash Screen" option the image attached shows after white and black screens. Sometimes the image look like a broken sprite asset from my game.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017