Search Unity

Beautify! - Improve image quality producing incredibly crisp and vivid scenes

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, May 3, 2016.

1. Slick_Nick

Slick_Nick

Hello!

Really nice peice of software this. I however have some problems..

When i run my game in the "Game window" (inside the editor) everything looks really good.
    But when i make a build it gets really grainy and abit over exaggerated, ive been trying to solve this for quite a few hours now so any help would be much appriciated :)

Screen from editor:

http://imgur.com/a/k6wCq?reg

Screen from build:
    http://imgur.com/a/gpnHY

Thanks in advance!

2. R1PFake

R1PFake

I just bought it and i use it for my vive (without Single Pass Stero Rendering) and it's amazing! It's not a secret that the resolution of the current vr generation isn't that good yet but with this asset my game looks so much better! And i didn't notice any performance problems, but my game is kinda lowpoly and i didn't use any special effects only the Beautify script with Quality set to Best Qualit/Medium Preset settings, all other extra fx disabled and with these settings the game looks much better and didn't notice a performance difference, awesome!

I can't post a screenshot because the important part happens "inside" the vive view, but there is really a difference.

(I can't say anything about other scene with higher quality assets or many objects etc, if there would be a performance lose with the vive, but for my current mini game it's awesome!)

Btw for other vive user with the valve CameraRig prefab, there are many camera objects, some are disable, i think the best place for the Beautify Script is to put it on the "Camera (eye)" object

Kronnect likes this.
  3. R1PFake

R1PFake

Is it possible to "ignore" some objects with the Bloom effect?
    I would like to use the bloom effect and it looks good on the level but i have some world space UI elements infront of the player and they look really bright with the bloom effect, is it possible to somehow "ignore" the (world space) UI elements so that they don't receive the bloom effect?

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

@Slick_Nick really strange, need more details like platform and color space (Gamma/Linear).

@R1PFake try adding [ImageEffectOpaque] just before the OnRenderImage method in Beautify.cs script.

5. R1PFake

R1PFake

Seems to work, thanks!

6. Slick_Nick

Slick_Nick

Hello!

I am building/running on PC

Here is a image of the camera "settings" with all its components and a image of "player settings"

http://imgur.com/a/qiz2U

7. Kronnect

Kronnect

@Slick_Nick thanks for sending your settings.

Looks like your adjusted settings for linear color space were applied over a gamma color space instead
    Please try the following:
    1) Move up/down sharpen slider and save your scene so the settings are refreshed and the preset changes to "Custom". Build your game again and try again.
    2) If problem persists, build the demo scene #1 included in Beautify. Does the build look exactly the same in build and in Editor? Alternatively you could turn off all image effects except Beautify to ensure a different ordering is not affecting the result in the build (or in case other image effect is not being correctly packed in the final executable). What I'm after is determining if Beautify alone produces the same issue or is it related to any other image effect combination.

If none of the above suggestions solves the issue, please contact us and we'll take a closer look at your project.

8. sgower

sgower

Has anyone used this for a Vive VR game? Is there any reason to think this might not work for VR?

9. Kronnect

Kronnect

@Spanky11 it works on VR (tested with GearVR, many users report it works on other VR headsets as well) but still experimental for Single Pass Stereo Rendering. If you purchase it, sign up on our support forum on kronnect.com to get latest beta. Thanks!

10. Kronnect

Kronnect

Beautify 3 is almost ready! It will include anamorphic flares (aka JJ Abrams flares :)) plus some optimizations.
    We will also increase slightly the price to reflect all the recent additions, so get it now for just $25 and get the update for free!

Here're some recent screenshots:

11. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

I've seen the posts saying this works well with VR, are you able to say what the cost of running this in VR is like?

12. Kronnect

Kronnect

@Adam-Bailey the demo scene which uses the core effects + anamorphic flares runs quite well on a modest Gear VR. Generally speaking Beautify is a very fast effect - it'll depend on how many options do you enable but the core should work reasonably fast on any device.

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!

Just sharing gorgeous landscapes by @turboscalpeur created in the last days using his own HQ Photographic Grass and prettified with Beautify. Check out the pictures (click to enlarge):

pixelsteam and turboscalpeur like this.
  14. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi there!

Beautify 3.0 is now available.

We'd also like to take the opportunity to announce a new cool asset just released today: Liquid Volume.
    Check it out!

turboscalpeur likes this.
  15. yc960

yc960

Hi, I like how fast beautify runs. Is there any plan to introduce chromatic abberation and filmic grain effect (something like scion)?

16. Kronnect

Kronnect

@yc960 yes, they'll probably fit in a future update.

17. R1PFake

R1PFake

I updated to the new version and it seems to be broken (I use it for vive). The Sharpen slider makes no difference anymore and when i try to add a extra FX i get a error "Beautify faild to open source file: Beautify.cginc" at line 39 and line 57 (on d3d11). Everything worked before with the vive, so i guess it's something with the new update :(

18. Kronnect

Kronnect

@R1PFake must be an upgrade issue, since 3.0 works correctly on both OpenGL/DX11 (tested from the store).
    Try the following: close any scene, removing old Beautify folder and reimport full package again.

19. R1PFake

R1PFake

I made a new project, imported the new version and still get the same error :( I wanted to make sure if this is a problem with the new version, so i made an other new project and importet the old Beautify version into the project and it works fine.

20. Kronnect

Kronnect

21. R1PFake

R1PFake

I just wanted to update for other vive users: The "problem" that i had was because i also imported the lab renderer pack which converts all materials to a lab material and they have their own shader etc and i can't say if this pack doesn't work with the lab render, but i didn't manage to get it to work with the lab renderer, that's why i had the problems but to be honest i only had the lab renderere package because i wanted to check it out, i changed back to the standard shader + this pack because i think this pack is amazing, so i can still recommend it to other vive devs

Im talking about this lab renderer: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/63141

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Kronnect likes this.
  22. Kronnect

Kronnect

It's confirmed that Beautify also works for PS4 in Best Quality settings.
    On XBox One it also works but due to an encoding issue of the shader files with the devkit compiler you need to copy/paste the contents on a new file with same name and replace the old one.

23. sgower

sgower

I also am using this for a Vive project, and overall it's nice, but I need to keep the sharpness level down. If I increase sharpness too much the ground of my terrain shimmers in a displeasing manner. I'll need to try version 3. R1PFake, I had also experimented with The Lab Renderer, but had lots of problems getting it to work.

24. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! On VR, you can use MotionSensibility to reduce shimmering.

25. sgower

sgower

Thanks. I tried this, but noticed little to no benefit. I have my sharpness set to around 2, which makes things very slightly sharper, but anything higher than this and any increases in picture quality comes at the price of having excessive shimmering. I guess that's just how things work. The terrain in question has a sandy ground covering that I think may be susceptible to this particular problem.

26. Kronnect

Kronnect

The Motion Sensibility option reduces sharpen level during camera rotation. The greater value, the greater the temporary reduction. When camera rotation reduces speed or gets static, the sharpen restores gradually to its original level. So, if you set motion sensibility to 1, sharpen should disable completely during camera rotations - it should be quite noticeable, that's why the default setting is 0.5 which does not disable sharpen completely and adjusts the parameter gradually.

The sharpen reduction is also clamped between a custom defined range, that perhaps requires to be different in your case. Please contact us and we'll investigate this further with your help. Thanks.

27. R1PFake

R1PFake

Im not sure if you mean the same "shimmering", but i also noticed shimmering problems with the vive, not only with Beautify but overall with the vive (Also on other released games). For example i had some sci fi pbr level objects which have small lights and while it look awesome on pc these lights were just horrible in the vive view, they are "okay" if they are near but just horrible as soon as they are a few meters away the whole area had the ugly "shimmering". Im not sure if Beautify can "fix" this because i think it's a overall problem with the current vr generation, i had to change the material and reduce/remove the self lightning effects. I have the sharpen effect at 10.

EDIT: I am talking about "lights" which shine from the material, not light gameobjects.

But you said that you have the problem on sand terrain so im not sure if this is the same kind of "shimmering" or if this is something else.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  28. Kronnect

Kronnect

@R1PFake did you try MotionSensibility option? How does it work on your scene when moving around? Does it compensate shimmering/flickering?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  29. R1PFake

R1PFake

Yes i tried, but i didn't help for the problem, but like i said it's not something with Beautify, it's a general vive "problem".

I have the same shimmering without Beautify, i think the problem is, that the material of the walls/ground have self lightning effects, which looks good on pc, but horrible on the vive if they are a few meters away. It also doesn't matter if the head is moving or holding still, the shimmering effect is always there, i think the solution for my problem would be a effect which can ignore all self lightning materials (like the lights of my wall) if they are X distance away, because the wall light look okay if near them but start to get horrible/shinning once they are to far away. Im not sure if Beautify has a option for something like that, but don't worry it's not a Beautify problem, for now i removed the self lightning on the material and the level looks awesome with Beautify in VR.

Kronnect likes this.
  30. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!

We're ironing Beautify V3.1 which will include efficient Depth of Field with Bokeh option - as always it comes with sensible and useful options that are really fun to use.

Here's a preview of the demo scene 3 included in latest beta:

This new addition is properly combined with the well-known sharpen algorithm and the rest of effects so they do not cancel each other.

If you're interested in trying out this new update ensure you're registered on our support forum (otherwise sign up and send me a private message with your order number to get the new update today!)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    rrahim and RonnyDance like this.
  31. Kronnect

Kronnect

EDIT: Video above updated after increasing bokeh effect slider.

32. Kronnect

Kronnect

33. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Having Depth of Field really makes this Asset an alternative to Scion.
    I am really impressed by the update frequency and new big features with every update. With Depth of Field I think this will replace Scion for me. So besides Beautify I only use SSAA and some SSAO Unity Cinematic Effects for postprocessing Effects.

Keep it up!

34. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks! Beautify's goal is to help you achieve state of the art picture quality with great performance and ease of use, including artistic effects that can contribute to great compositions.

Beautify 3.1 is now available :)
    Please feel free to share your screenshots and clips in this thread.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    rrahim likes this.
  35. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Its amazing and a load less draw calls from unitys version ::D

Just there seems to be 1 bug that the dof effects the scene camera.

Anyway Thank You, :D

36. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks. It will be fixed in next beta along with the option of autofocus. In the meanwhile you can remove the [ImageEffecttAllowedInSceneView] class attribute in Beautify.cs script.

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  37. Kronnect

Kronnect

We have just released v3.2 beta 1on our support forum with the inclusion of depth of field autofocus and the above mentioned fix for Scene View in Unity 5.4+.

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  38. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I updated to the new 3.1 Version and got this error:

Assets/Beautify/Demos/Resources/Scripts/Demo2.cs(5,46): error CS0101: The namespace `BeautifyEffect' already contains a definition for `Demo2'

A reimport did not fix the problem. Any idea where this comes from? Did not try to delete Beautify and import it again to the project. Perhaps this helps. But just wondering...

39. Kronnect

Kronnect

That error is telling you there's a duplicated Demo2 class definition (probably duplicated file). Because the package may be reorganised between updates, it's advisable to remove package before importing the new update. 1) Close any open scene, 2) Remove Beautify folder, 3) Import the new update.

40. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Once I saw these, I had to buy the grass...man. Fantastic.

Kronnect likes this.
  41. MS_3D

MS_3D

Hi - Does the Beautify DOF Effect work correctly with transparent Materials?

42. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! They will be supported in next update. Stay tuned!

43. Kronnect

Kronnect

We did some quick test using transparent render mode of Standard Shader and it seems to work. Is this what you meant?

44. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!
    We're opening our Asset Store screenshot slots to studios and indie devs that would like to see their projects showcased there.

If you love Beautify, Volumetric Fog & Mist, World Political Map series or any of our assets and are interested in having your game or app promoted on the Asset Store pages, please send us a short clip and your desired reference (link / studio / brand / dev name) to be shown at the footer of the media.

We'll use your media along our own promotional campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, Asset Store, Forums and other channels. As a reference, on August we got near 100K views on our combined channels which makes this an excellent opportunity for spreading the word about your project (for free).

Thank you very much for using our assets and we wish you the best luck in your project.

45. sgower

sgower

Hi, I just ran the Beautify update today, and also upgraded to 5.5b9. You should test it with this version. I'm seeing shader errors in the logs, and my built game is crashing when I start it. I don't know for sure the crash is related to Beautify, but thought I'd give you a heads up so that you can check this. Thanks!

I believe there were 2 shaders with this error:
    Shader error in 'Beautify/BeautifyMobile': unable to unroll loop, loop does not appear to terminate in a timely manner (78 iterations) or unrolled loop is too large, use the [unroll(n)] attribute to force an exact higher number at Assets/Beautify/Resources/Shaders/BeautifyDoF.cginc(74) (on d3d11_9x)

46. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hello! Thanks for the heads up! Just checked it and could not reproduce unless forcing to unroll DoF loop in shader adding UNITY_UNROLL. Then yes, same error here with Unity 5.5b9.

A new update will be available on our support forum today along with minor improvements and will be also submitted to the Asset Store in a few days.

In the meanwhile, if you don't want to import the complete update again, you could edit BeautifyDoF.cginc file located in Beautify/Resources/Shaders folder and edit lines 73-74. Change them from:

Code (CSharp):
    1. int sampleCount = (int)min(_BokehData2.y, samples);
    2. for (int k=1;k<sampleCount;k++, disp1 += dir, disp2 -= dir) {
    to...

Code (CSharp):
    1. int sampleCount = (int)min(_BokehData2.y, samples);
    2. #if defined(UNITY_COMPILER_HLSL)
    3. [unroll(16)]
    4. #endif
    5. for (int k=1;k<sampleCount;k++, disp1 += dir, disp2 -= dir) {

cicha09 likes this.
  47. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to announce Beautify V4 has been submitted to the Asset Store. This is a major update with new effects and nice tools to make your game also more efficient!

I'll describe the new features included as soon as the new update is approved on the Asset Store (don't want to ruin some surprises in advance). However as many of you already own Beautify, just visit our support forum to grab this latest update. I think you'll love this upcoming update.

We also have a new showreel for October 2016 showcasing some cool projects that use Beautify (and other assets).
    Check it out and enjoy!

A warm thank you to everyone using Beautify!

DevMember likes this.
  48. WestHill

WestHill

Hi
    I use Beautify in Unity5.4.2.
    The following errors occur when I build for Windows64bit.

[Unity] Shader error in 'Beautify/Beautify': texlod not supported on this target at Assets/Beautify/Resources/Shaders/BeautifyDoF.cginc(78) (on d3d11_9x)
    [Unity] Shader error in 'Beautify/BeautifyMobile': texlod not supported on this target at Assets/Beautify/Resources/Shaders/BeautifyDoF.cginc(78) (on d3d11_9x)

I added this code.
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/b...p-and-vivid-scenes.401999/page-3#post-2832089

Could you help? Thx.

49. Kronnect

Kronnect

This issue is fixed in v4 and was submitted. Please sign up on kronnect.com's forum and send me your invoice number to download it now from the beta board. Thanks.

50. WestHill

WestHill

ok, Thanks!