Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Baked Reflection Probes lose their Reflections when Reload scene in Unity 5.2

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Ben-BearFish, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Every time I reload my scene my baked reflection probes lose their reflections in Unity 5.2. Has anyone experienced this issue?

When I use real-time they're fine, but that defeats the purpose of baked reflection probes.

2. nickpettit

nickpettit

Yes! I'm also having this issue. I'm able to reproduce it consistently and I'm not sure how to fix it.

3. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Yeah, currently my only fix is to set them to real-time. I have a simple scene, but for others this seems like a major issue.

4. SpiriTx

SpiriTx

Graphics QA Unity Technologies

How do you reload it? Re-open in editor, load with Application.LoadLevel or anything else?

I can't manage to reproduce it right now.

5. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

I start my scene 1, load to scene 2, then load back to my original scene 1 using Application.LoadLevel.

6. SpiriTx

SpiriTx

Still can't repro, works fine.

Unless you mean the scenario where you load stuff in the editor while using "Auto" mode - that would not load GI, but that's known limitation since 5.0 and it doesn't affect stuff in Player or Baked with non-"Auto".

7. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

So in the Player, if we want the Baked Reflection Probes to stay between loading scenes we have to make sure that we bake the scene with Auto-Bake off?

@SpiriTx Is there anywhere in the documentation this is mentioned? I feel like that's something important that should be documented?

8. SpiriTx

SpiriTx

In the player both "Auto" and "Build" work, this issue only affects editor.

No, it's not in the docs, because well it's kinda a bug. It's on a dev roadmap right now.

9. abhijeetnaik

abhijeetnaik

Hi i am able to download entire scene from my local asset bundle server. But in the downloaded scene reflection probe is not working and all game objects static flags are disabled. Any solution for this issue?

10. iileychen

iileychen

I have same issue.
    But if you disable "Auto Generate" and manually "Generate Lighting", a folder with be created and contains the ReflectionProbe data. Then works fine in the Editor.

11. Vslite

Vslite

I faced the same problem, its not a bug its how baking reflection probes work. For the objects to be visible in the bake they should be made static. Just make the objects static and bake the probe once. You can make them dynamic again after the bake, it wont effect the reflection bake.

12. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

This still seems to be an issue. Our reflection probes frequently lose their textures. Sometimes just one of the scene's probes loses data, sometimes all, sometimes they keep their texture for weeks. However, we cannot reproduce this reliable.

13. calpolican

calpolican

Sorry to necro this post, but I've been struggling with a similar issue. Reflection probes would corrupt after a while, whitout any apparent cause. It took me some time to figure out what was happening, so in case anyone finds this thread let me add that, (for me):
    The solution was to adjust the reflection probes Box Size to enclose all the scene.
    It sounds like a very stupid mistake to make, but the reason why you make it is that you see the reflections in the objects outside the box, so you never suspect that the box size is wrong until recalculation is triggered. And it may take a while to trigger the recalculation, for me it only happened when I used the searchbox of the hierarchy and type "r" for example. When recalculation happen you don't loose all reflections, but only the ones outside of the box.
    Hopefully you have the same error and can fix it this way.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  14. Alex_F

Alex_F

Hi! We are still struggling with this indeed. What are the downsides of making Box Size that big? I have a large scene about 1x1km and around 60 reflection probes.

15. calpolican

calpolican

Remember that the reason why this issue happens, is because some of your objects are outside ANY reflection probe's box. You don't need to use one big box, you can use your 60, or any other number, but you need to make sure that every part of the scene is inside some reflection probe's box. What is not inside, will eventually loose it's probe. As long as every part of your scene is enclosed in one of you reflection probe's boxes, you shouldn't be loosing your reflections.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023