Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Animating a Flag

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by onedong, Mar 2, 2010.

1. onedong

onedong

Ok i am having trouble animating a flag in unity. All i am trying to do is take a flag in max and make it look like its blowing in the wind. so far i have done it with trying ripple and wave modifier and keyframing them but unity does not pickup the animation. i also have animated it in max using wind and gravity but unity doesnt play the animation. i then tried to just manually move the verts to just get an animation on it, but unity will not play the animation. what is the easiest way to animate an actual flag, not render it to a plane. i want the flag to actually move.

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Unity does not support vertex animations like that (morph targets, what you're doing, and so on). Unity only supports transform-based keyframe animations or skinned/rigged character animations. If you want a flag waving in the wind then you'll likely have to bring in your static flag model then write a bit of code in Unity (JavaScript or C#) and animate it procedurally.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Try using this shader.

--Eric

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Touché Eric, thanks for that link!

5. onedong

onedong

wow thx, i had totally forgot about this since i was working on another project but im gonna go back and try out the shader and see how it works.