Search Unity

Additional OTOY Octane details?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by LaneFox, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Awesome!!! Thanks @OTOY, I know I seem to say it earlier in the thread, but it didn't get answered (it's fine, but curious :) ) will brigade also be integrated into Unity as well at a later date?

2. OTOY

OTOY

Official Otoy Account

Brigade is being merged with Octane sometime after OSL support is done (no ETA to share yet, just the order in the roadmap as of today). Unity support is a key milestone.

TooManySugar, marcipw and Rockwall33 like this.
  3. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Awesome!!! Thanks @OTOY!!

4. MDK2k

MDK2k

Hey @OTOY!

I have a question about Octanes realtime rendering and temporal upsampling. I heard Jules use this term in one of the presentations where he was talking about the idea of having rays persist over multiple frames to get a smoother image. Will this technique have different lifetimes for different types of rays? For example having relatively long lifetime for indirect rays since indirect lighting doesn't change that noticeably between frames. Would this technique also make framerate itself sort of irrelevant to the rendering process if the amount of rays fired would be tied to actual time and not frames? So for example indirect rays would have a maximum lifitime of let's say 100ms if those rays hit a static piece of geometry and stayed in the cameras view for the whole duration.

In general is this something that will make realtime pathtracing a lot faster?

Bonus question:
    Do you think VR will be first to get proper realtime pathtracing due to eyetracking + foveated rendering?

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  5. PikleJoos

PikleJoos

I noticed that the slides from the GTC OTOY presentation were posted here: https://www.slideshare.net/OTOYInc1/the-future-of-gpu-rendering-gtc-2017-76278133

What really surprised me is slide 48, where you can see Octane 4 + Brigade running on PowerVR hardware at 150 Mrays/second. That's insane compared to what I'm getting in my scenes at this moment (with multiple cards). I really hope that this makes it onto the market sooner than 5 years, because it sounds like a game changer. Exciting times :D.

marcipw, MDK2k and Rockwall33 like this.
  6. xilofoton

xilofoton

Hi guys,

I'm new here in Unity forums but as a VFX artist hearing more and more about Octane+Unity made me so curious and interested in interactive tech. So what you do at OTOY is actually taking the holography to the next level. So thanks for these efforts!

For me VR headsets are a bit like facehugger in Alien, and makes the experience lonely but just check this:

https://www.framestore.com/fieldtriptomars/
    https://framestorevr.com/field-trip-to-mars/

In the future this rig with holographic displays and Octane raytracing can be the perfect interactive moving, breathing, etc classroom. I can imagine in example an on-site jurassic trip using the bus(of course an electric one) as time machine. Back to the future! The possibilities are endless.

In the Vision2017 video Jules points out that Octane will be free for millions of artists, allow them to work with a renderer which is at a same level of quality as Renderman. Actually Octane is a bit better, because it is spectral renderer, which lets to overcome some typical RGB related limitations. So the RGB "conversion" is not forced at the material level by artist, it is in camera as in real life, which lets colour bleeding during the raytracing more sophisticated. And artist can use real spectral measurement data (or do texture painting more like traditional painters with many colours :) )

Thumbs up!

Rockwall33 and PikleJoos like this.
  7. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

@OTOY, Any new update on Octane + Unity (whether it's times it will be released, features, etc)?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    marcipw likes this.
  8. PikleJoos

PikleJoos

While this is not specifically related to Unity+Octane (which will most likely be available some time during the summer), this is very interesting as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OctaneRender/permalink/806910102819403

Nvidia recently demonstrated how they were able to use machine learning to denoise pathtracing, which has been a huge issue since the beginning of time. Now it looks like OTOY was also able to implement a denoising system that also uses AI. The results at only 10 samples look really good.

Rockwall33 likes this.
  9. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

@OTOY I looked at your twitter recently, you said that you not only will have Octane 3 free for ~7 million devs, but you also said that for $20 a month devs can get Adobe, Cinema4D, ORC, etc. will there be a beta testing on those plugins?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    marcipw likes this.
  10. marcipw

marcipw

I would happily give @OTOY $20 per month to get involved in this.

Rockwall33 likes this.
  11. PikleJoos

PikleJoos

12. rambambulli

rambambulli

I went to the EUE 2017 and

Please let us know when octane + unity will be ready! It will be the Archviz holy grail I think. I can't wait.....

Rockwall33 likes this.
  13. Studiomaurer

Studiomaurer

Yes, please keep us updated. I just threw an .orbx into unity 2017. It's already being recognized with proper Icon. You just can't do anything with it yet.... can't wait. This would really come in handy for a project I'm preparing right now.

Rockwall33 and marcipw like this.
  14. marcipw

marcipw

That sounds promising.... It must be right around the corner. (Is it wrong that I check this thread and the @OTOY Twitter several times a day every day?)

sdutter, PikleJoos and Rockwall33 like this.
  15. Moke1695

Moke1695

So can anyone say when it's going to be released?
    I can't wait until july ... :(

marcipw and Rockwall33 like this.
  16. marcipw

marcipw

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2017
    MDK2k and Rockwall33 like this.
  17. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

Hello, I noticed this thread has been quiet for over a week - any info on how to get involved with testing at this stage?

18. marcipw

marcipw

Maybe there will be some news at Unite this week. I signed up for an Octane subscription as I think they may be letting customers access this first.

19. marcipw

marcipw

20. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

Thanks, I've been emailing them and I'm a subscriber but I haven't heard anything back.

21. matthewcastiglia

matthewcastiglia

Join the Octane Render Facebook group as Jules Urbach posts updates in there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/OctaneRender/

He posted this 8 hours ago.

"Playing with the latest Unity build, soon in everyone's hands:)

If anyone here has an awesome ORBX sample scene they'd like to contribute to our Unity/Octane starter pack, please let us know at info@otoy.com!

Note that ORBX -> FBX conversion in 3.07 will also allow you to translate any ORBX geometry node into an FBX Unity scene asset and then bake the lighting with Octane for real time playback."
    https://www.facebook.com/jules.urbach/videos/pcb.821962774647469/10155399626259847/?type=3&theater

MDK2k and Rockwall33 like this.
  22. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Any update on Otoy Octane Render in Unity 2017?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    OCASM and marcipw like this.
  23. OTOY

OTOY

Official Otoy Account

elbows, Nateply, OCASM and 5 others like this.
  24. MDK2k

MDK2k

I guess I'll go grab that Octane VR subscription.

@OTOY So is it now possible to create those 6dof panoramas inside unity in this release?
    Also when will this be possible to do in Maya?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  25. OCASM

OCASM

Somebody render the Adam demo with this.

26. elbows

elbows

Tried it with Unity 2017.1.0f2 in a few basic ways - great fun so far! I have a lot to learn but what I've seen so far makes me keen to take this journey.

27. rambambulli

rambambulli

Me too. But, and this must be the stupidest question ever on this forum, what can I do with it?
    I get a nice Octane viewer. Can navigate in my Unity screen and everything runs smooth.
    But can Octane bake light maps? Or can I make those 6dof mp5 files with it? How does the OBRX-export-view-thing work?

If these questions are obvious than sorry for asking them.

28. elbows

elbows

I dont think its your fault, I think its the way they've talked about all of their technologies (and future possibilities) in a jargon-heavy manner in various presentations.

I could be wrong but I'm treating this release as simply being a version of their Octane Render software - you can bake images and cube maps out of it but it doesnt help with light field stuff etc. I dont think its been integrated into unity in a manner suitable for lightmap baking yet either, and in any case it doesnt support all of the forms of lighting that unity supports.

Like I said I could be wrong, yesterday was my first time trying this stuff.

29. DGordon

DGordon

Tried what? Octane? How?

30. elbows

elbows

Just read the OTOY post a little earlier in this thread from Saturday: #73

31. DGordon

DGordon

Oh, I missed that :). Thanks!!

elbows likes this.
  32. dmzl

dmzl

Where/How do i get a free/trial license for Octane?

Attached Files:

33. VargaPD

VargaPD

So, maybe I missed something... It will be just a plugin, and we will have to have an octane subscription to work with it, or is it needed just for the testing?

Also, will it be able to render cutscenes with it? For example export out picture sequences or some kind of video format?

34. I-Bims

I-Bims

As far as I know it's a closed beta and is available only to existing OctaneRender users, or OctaneVR subscription users, or Octane Cloud users. So no free access at the moment I think...

35. elbows

elbows

Reading a post on their forum it seems that it was certain wording in their octane for unity documentation that made me think a lot of unity lighting stuff wasnt supported, and the reality is quite a bit different.

So certainly at this stage I recommend having a sniff around their unity subforum, and not just the most active thread on that forum.

For example here is the post where the lighting capabilities are explained in a more comprehensive manner than the docs:

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=62176

36. BJPen

BJPen

Hi. I just want to make sure I properly understand what's going on here because I may totally rewrite some fairly significant personal and professional plans if I understand this correctly. So if it's not too much trouble, I have a few questions:

1.) At some point in the future, Octane Render is going to be integrated into Unity and therefore made free for anyone who downloads Unity?

2.) Will Octane have full functionality inside Unity? Will it operate the same as standalone Octane? For example, if I render a scene in Octane standalone then bring that into Unity, without changing anything, and render it there, will it look exactly the same?

3.) Are there going to be any imposed limitations?

37. elbows

elbows

I'm not an expert but from having used it and read all the stuff in their forum, I think you are pretty much correct about point 2. But in regards to other points, I've seen them say this on their forum recently:

( Re: Clean renders, activating gpus, and render times )

So at the very least I wouldnt make any assumptions about 'free' at this stage!

38. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

I just looked on the Unity website, Unity 2017 is out, is Octane in it?

Thanks!!! :)

39. BJPen

BJPen

Thanks for the reply. That's a little disappointing. From all the talk on their videos they've put out, it really sounded like they were making it available for free to anyone who downloads Unity.

40. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

They are.
    https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=61948

41. Moke1695

Moke1695

No not yet. Only available for beta versions

Rockwall33 likes this.
  42. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Thanks @AcidArrow!!! I looked below those posts and saw a free 30 day ORC (something like that :D) license. Where do I find that license?

Thanks!!!

43. BJPen

BJPen

Thanks for the reply. :) Tthe impression I'm getting thus far is that sometime soon I will be able to download Unity at which point Octane will be fully integrated and free to use for non-commercial purposes? (Pardon me if I missed anything. I'm having a really terrible fibromyalgia flare up at the moment and looking at all this text and white backgrounds is making my eyes ache.)

44. OTOY

OTOY

Official Otoy Account

1) Yes

2) Yes - even in the alpha release almost everything (including UX) from Octane standalone is all in Unity Editor. It is basically the same feature set as the

3) The free version is only meant to be used within Unity Editor (you can import ORBX into Editor even w/ free version). Octane subscriptions (starting at $20/month- e.g. Octane VR) give you access to full 3rd party Octane DCC plug-ins +ecosystem (e.g. C4D, Nuke, After Effects, Blender, Max/Maya etc.), more concurrent GPUs (up to 20 w/ Pro sub.) and cloud rendering access.

Rockwall33 likes this.
  45. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

Amazing!!!!! :D @OTOY how does the cloud rendering and ccu work with octane? Does it render through a network to make it work faster? It's amazing how Octane uses a cloud for its rendering.

Thanks!!! :)

46. BJPen

BJPen

Most excellent! Thank you for the reply. I am unimaginably excited about this. I've always been a big Octane fangirl so maybe I'm biased but regardless, I can't wait!

47. I-Bims

I-Bims

What about interactivity with Unity and Octane?
    Is it possible to create AR or VR apps (for example for Vive or Smartphone) with Unity and Octane? After all I have read I understand it this way that it's only possible to create non interactive content.

48. OTOY

OTOY

Official Otoy Account

We have to start with getting Octane itself working in the Unity scene graph in this first release, and to make sure that Unity+Octane is a full cinema quality PBR renderer for offline thin lens, VR etc..

The next step will be real time:

1) Build on Octane 3.07 baking API to work as a full replacement for Unity light mapping system

2) Build on Octane 3.07 ORBX->FBX exporter to export any tri-mesh or tessellation data from cinematic workflow into Unity, and then unwrap, repeat step 1 again

3) Surface light field baking + point cloud support (e.g. FB x24 6DOF video)

4) Full scene reflectance field baking on cloud into ORBX/FBX proxy in Unity that you can publish with your Unity app or object

spaceemotion, OCASM and Rockwall33 like this.
  49. OTOY

OTOY

Official Otoy Account

It's built into all Octane plug-ins and the Octane for Unity integration. If you have an Octane sub for $20 a month w/ ORC, you can buy render credits in $5 chunks (this gives you about 400 OctaneBench/ hr) to finish any scene you have in the viewport - including baking jobs described above.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Rockwall33 likes this.
  50. Rockwall33

Rockwall33

That's awesome!!! Thanks @OTOY!!!! :D