Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

5.6.0p3 + GVR 1.40 + iOS10.3.1 + iPhone5 = ????

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by lafindutemps, Apr 29, 2017.

1. lafindutemps

lafindutemps

Hiya - just wondering if anyone has successfully gotten a VR app for iOS working well after all the recent updates. Naturally, my stuff all worked fine in 5.5. Now I'm in 5.6 and the battles have begun. I've gotten past the linker problems, the pod updates, and it builds fine and runs on a device (iPhone5). However, every build I do results in the same problem: the left & right eyes are not quite lined up right. They both show renders, but they don't overlap at all, and what they do show is kinda stretched and distorted. (I've checked for the viewer QR too) I've tried this as a bare Unity Native VR project w/ cardboard, the demo GVR1.40 scenes, and my own previous (100% functioning) work. All have the same problems. I'm willing to keep beating on this if someone out there has had success with this and tells me it is possible. Otherwise, it's back to 5.5 till later. Basically, is it me? or them? Thanks!

IMG_1834.PNG IMG_1833.PNG

Note: both eyes render, but they don't seem to be looking at the same thing!

https://imgur.com/a/jVi2B

2. mattSydney

mattSydney

Hi Same problem on iPhone 6s

3. justdizzy

justdizzy

Here too. If you issue a bug I will vote on it.

4. lafindutemps

lafindutemps

5. mattSydney

mattSydney

6. lafindutemps

lafindutemps

Update: got a note saying that QA can reproduce - so that's mildly comforting.

7. ddebroeck

ddebroeck

I'm experiencing the same issue building with 5.6.0f3 and running on an iPhone 7. When it shows up in the issue tracker I will vote on it as well.

Thank you for submitting the report.

8. lafindutemps

lafindutemps

9. ddebroeck

ddebroeck

I was able to get 5.6.0f3 working correctly on iOS by importing Google's VR SDK into the project. I made no other changes than importing the SDK, and now it just works. On import I was notified that some files of the plugin would be removed, but even with that the issue is fixed. I'm not sure how good of a solution this is, but its better than what we have now.

Downloaded the GVR SDK here:
    https://developers.google.com/vr/unity/download

10. lafindutemps

lafindutemps

Really? So steps would be:

1. new project in 5.6.0f3
    2. set build to ios
    3. Enable VR in player settings (cardboard)
    4. Import custom package: Google VR SDK 1.40 (and click ok to any popups) (from here https://github.com/googlevr/gvr-unity-sdk)
    5. Open demo scene (like GVRDemo)
    6. Build and Run
    7. put it in a cardboard and you see good stuff (cameras aligned, no distortion, etc) on the phone?

I will try this again later with 5.6.0f3 and see, but I feel like I've done exactly this before with no good results.

Thanks for the update.

11. ddebroeck

ddebroeck

Yep, that is the process I followed. The only exception being I downloaded the package from the link I posted instead of downloading a zip of / cloning the Git repo.

The cameras do appear to be aligned correctly and I haven't noticed any unexpected distortion on my iPhone 7.

12. lafindutemps

lafindutemps

ok - and what about the GVR cocoapods - did you update those from 1.2 -> 1.4 in the xcode workspace?

13. ddebroeck

ddebroeck

The GVR cocoapods are still at 1.20

14. lafindutemps

lafindutemps

Indeed! I can get the proper display using 5.6.0f3 and 1.4, but every thing after that p1-4,5.6.1,2017.1 are all bad. Thanks for the tip!

ddebroeck likes this.
  15. JordanMajd

JordanMajd