Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

4k Not Working?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by staufman, Jul 22, 2016.

1. staufman

staufman

Hi,

I have a simple Unity scene in which I'm trying to play some video (using Bink). My rig has a 4k TV attached and the TV displays at full 4k res outside of the game. However, when I run my game and I choose the max resolution for the TV, I don't think Unity is actually using the max resolution. Instead, it is using a standard 1080p resolution. I know this because I am printing the current screen's width/height into a GUI label.

Are there any known issues with 4k support? Or do I need to do anything special to get 4k support working?

Thanks!

jonathanm47 likes this.
  2. jonathanm47

jonathanm47

This is an old post but the first result on Google. I found a solution to this problem. The issue is that your TV is reporting your native resolution as 1080p. For some reason, Unity as an engine will only operate at a native res signal. I suppose it's to use their own upscaling algorithm to ensure decent scaling at non-native resolutions, which is super annoying as I'm sure many TVs report to computers that they are 1080p.

Anyway, you can fix this by creating a custom EDID override which is super easy with this tool. https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU
    Read the full post to make sure you do it right.

Unity devs, if you read this, please try to fix this issue with your engine if you get the time. Let the resolution selection be an actual resolution selection and add a resolution scaling feature like UE4 has for the current feature.

3. sun_stealer

sun_stealer

I get exactly the same problem with my 4K TV.

Sorry, what do you mean by EDID override? Should I add new detailed resolution via CRU? Or new standard resolution?

4. jonathanm47

jonathanm47

Randomly remembered I posted this fix and was curious to know if anyone needed help. Sorry this is so late. If you didn't figure it out, it's a detailed resolution. Make sure you put it at the top of the list too (there are arrow options to move it through the list). You'll need to restart your computer when you are done for it to take effect, or use the graphics driver restart tool included with CRU.

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Also note that the primary display is also the native resolution. If you have a second monitor at 4k and a primary at 1080 then Unity apps are going to show 1080 as the max res. Swap them if necessary.