Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Car racing game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by iamthwee, Dec 27, 2015.

1. iamthwee

iamthwee

I thought for my next WIP I could do a car racing game, I hoping to complete these mini projects over a space of a few days. I will be trying to build the car mechanics from scratch.

My initial idea is it is going to be a low poly game with toon shading, and slow mo for accidents, where every other car goes into slow mo except you the driver!! So I am going to abuse the time.delta function to slow things down, there is going to be my own acceleration screen and mph screen which is going to be overlayed on the main camera. :D

Ideas and images to follow shortly, along with my game plan.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  2. iamthwee

iamthwee

OK I was looking online for some ideas, and before I start modeling I'm going to work on the mechanics first with just cubes, but below is an idea of the style I'm going for. crs.jpg

3. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

You can use Time.timeScale to change the speed of the world, globally. 0 is frozen, 1 is normal, and above 1 is faster than normal. Also, good luck with the car physics(that is if you're using the Unity wheel colliders)...they can be a bit of a hassle for the first time.

iamthwee likes this.
  4. iamthwee

iamthwee

Thanks I think I might pass on the unity wheel colliders and opt for a simple rig animation of the wheels spinning to give the illusion. Thanks for the time scale tip.

5. iamthwee

iamthwee

OK I figure out the time.scale thing and I must admit it is pretty cool, just working out the basic mechanics and firing bullets, the racetrack and explosions.

A quick feel of the lighting and textures, nothing solid yet.

poly.jpg

rt.jpg

6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That there is looking very very cool. ;) Was that track produced using bezier (or NURBS) curves in blender?

And yea, Whiteleaf is right about wheel colliders... They're good for games like Forza or NFS, but trying to use them for arcade racers is next to useless, and in any case, scripting the car behaviour's the way to go. It's how I've done cars (or any mobile machine for that matter) for a looong time!

Also, if you need tips on anything, give me a heads up, as I've worked on car games before. (Mostly my own projects and experiments, I'm actually working on a racer now!) I can also lend a hand with blender if needed. (And so can Whiteleaf, from what I've heard in your other thread. :p)

EDIT: Oh yea, and one more thing; compared to what I've seen from the beginning game devs I've met, you definitely seem to know what you're doing with this. Just saying this now, because... people like that are a rare breed sometimes... :D

iamthwee likes this.
  7. iamthwee

iamthwee

Thanks that's great fuzzyquills, I'm definitely going to opt for simple physics first. I modelled it using a mesh lol no bezier curves, probably not optimal but it worked. Thanks for the help with blender, if I get stuck I'll be sure to PM for help.

I've created a thread on blender artists if you need any blender resources, to do with rendering/ light setups and rigging you may find useful.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?358525-Perfect-studio-setup-test

8. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Will definitely look at the link sometime. And that track is modeled by hand? That's hardcore... :D (I do admit I probably could make a track myself, but they usually end up wonky or weird looking... :D)

EDIT: I suggested beziers before because when you mkae one, a second set of curves can be used to determine the shape of the track cross-section. (i.e. what it would look like if you 'chopped' a slice out and looked at the front) It is also possible to control track subdivision by modifying the number of interpolation points on the curve itself, making beziers/NURBS a flexible option. :)

EDIT2: You sir are a blender lighting GOD. :p Where did you learn half of that?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016