Search Unity

Unity3D on Linux with Wine: Support thread

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by wnk, Nov 15, 2013.

1. dragontorchslash

dragontorchslash

Well, I tried that and it didn't work. It is a unity script in C#. Maybe its somewhere else in the script then thanks.

2. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

3. dragontorchslash

dragontorchslash

Sweet got it now, thanks for those links. Had to use
    Application.dataPath + someVariable

4. CptTeacup

CptTeacup

For those that aren't aware, in the Wine control panel you can link My Documents (and other user directories) to a directory located anywhere in your linux filesystem, for example "~/projects/games/unity3d/" is where mine is linked to. This is very useful if you create assets in linux native programs. Note: The actual files will be stored in the directory you specify, "My Documents" in your wineprefix will become a symlink.

5. benssoon

benssoon

Hi,

First of, thanks for the script! It almost works completely, but it hangs just before the end. When installing Unity, it seems to get stuck on "Installing playback engines..." with the last line reading "Execute: dotnetfx35setup.exe /q /norestart". Any ideas as to why this might be and how I could fix it?

Thanks!
    Ben

6. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

@benssoon
    Hi,

Which script are you using and from where?

7. thorsten23

thorsten23

What I'm interested in: is anybody really using Unity3D on Linux with Wine? Is it stable enough (depending on your Linux distribution) to start developing under Linux?

8. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

Hi thorsten23, well a couple of bugs have workarounds, but there are ones that currently do not. Most notably crashing of the Beast lightmapping engine and visibility of the Asset Store. If you are not using lightmaps or are fine of baking them on a Mac or PC, then it is possible to create a fully running application or game, though I have spent way too much time on fixing minor issues than I when I should have been more focused on making my game. The Asset Store visibility issue supposedly does have a workaround, but we have been unable to contact the user that has it.

Also it depends if you are going to use MonoDevelop, the documentation of which is scattered in this thread.

Regarding different Linux distributions, most of them seem to work, you may find a user using your distribution on Unity3D AppDB page.

If you are willing to give it a go, follow the "Installing Unity using the terminal with a winetricks script" on Unity Wine wiki page.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  9. thorsten23

thorsten23

Thank you, Pendrokar. I managed to install Unity on my Ubuntu 14.04 Notebook via PlayOnLinux. Beside some small problems which are already documented on the wiki page everything went fine.

What is a bit strange to me is that Unity feels better using the internal graphics card Intel HD 4000 instead of the Geforce GT 540M. Switching to the NVidia card results in a laggy behaviour. Maybe using another driver solves this problem or I'll stick to the Intel graphics.

10. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

@thorsten23,

Perhaps it depends on having the default(Nouveau) driver for both or just the NVIDIA card. Wine converts Direct3D calls to OpenGL calls which also puts a damp on performance.

This,[edit] performance issue, can be avoided by forcing Unity to use only OpenGL, by adding the "-force-opengl" option to it. But it crashes on the default Wine. While a Wine patch does fix the issue, it breaks other OpenGL applications/games. So I have submitted a patch on Wine Bugzilla that includes the OpenGL patch and runs it when a special configuration is set, that way every new version of Wine does not have to be recompiled.

Testing is required before I am submitting this patch to the Wine team:
    https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11436

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  11. thorsten23

thorsten23

@Pendrokar
    So the only solution to use my Nvidia card right now is to compile wine by myself. Did I get this right?

12. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

Whups, have to avoid using "this, that" in another paragraph, I meant "This (performance issue regarding Direct3D calls) can be...", edited. It wasn't about graphics card drivers, but a way to have Unity3D perform better.

Regarding the graphics card drivers. Nouveau is the default driver on Ubuntu, it does not have good 3D acceleration or rather doesn't use hardware 3D acceleration. See if your really have a proprietary driver from NVIDIA for the NVIDIA card. If you do, then I don't know why the difference is that notable. I also have an NVIDIA card and I do notice the lag, but not in -force-opengl mode.

13. qwarnant

qwarnant

Hello,

First, I want to thank you for the great documentation in this thread. I have been willing to switch my laptop from Windows to Linux for a long time but now I can't because of the Unity Editor incompatibility on Linux. Thanks to your work, I think that I will be able soon to do the migration !

I followed the install procedure on this thread and I have run into the problem of z33zaza. Unity crashed immediately when i started it in the PlayOnLinux interface and the debug log printed the same error of z33zaza.
    I'mon Linux Mint Debian Edition 201403 64 bits with the latest Wine version 1.7.23. The .NET Framework 4.0 is already installed in PlayOnLinux. I have tried to re-install a second time but nothing has changed.

Thank you for your help,

Q.

14. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

15. thorsten23

thorsten23

I have the proprietary driver installed. But I guess it's a problem with the Optimus Graphics Card and NVIDIA prime.
    Nevertheless the performance is ok to me with the Intel HD graphics. Thanks for your help.

16. csantos

csantos

I got the exact same problem. Turned out to be the license window problem. To solve it, I just had to run:
    Code (csharp):
    1. reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v ProductId /t REG_SZ /d 12345-oem-0000001-54321
    Inside wine terminal. If you're using PlayOnLinux (which you probably are), select Unity3D, click Configure, and inside the Wine tab, click Command prompt. Run this command there. I'm running wine 1.7.27 btw on a 4 years old gaming notebook.

17. Mike4

Mike4

The activate pro trial is greyed out? I'll keep the free version in Win8.1 for a while and only try something in pro on Wine. How? Thanks

18. csantos

csantos

Who is responsible for the wine wiki? It turns out you don't need to run MonoDevelop on wine because there's a native version of MonoDevelop for Linux. The only trick is to add UnityEngine.dll to your project reference (assuming you've created a monodevelop project inside the assets folder). This file is inside:
    I can write a more detailed tutorial on this for the wiki if you'd like.

19. Mike4

Mike4

Yes please as the only reason I mainly use Win8.1 is for debugging c#.

20. Roxxo9001

Roxxo9001

I'm having some sort of issue, every time I load Unity the screen is garbled. Running through Playonlinux in Manjaro. I figured it might be the timezone bug, but changing the timezone didn't fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

21. Mike4

Mike4

Looks like you need to install the proprietary drivers from Nvidia etc. or dx9 in Wine.

22. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

Your issue also sounds like the timezone issue.

And about using Wine to test the Pro version of Unity indefinitely. I doubt Unity Technologies would be happy about that.

23. groovyMyserioso

groovyMyserioso

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out a script to make Unity3D us the linux version of Mono. I can't figure a combo to make it open the files when double clicked.

24. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

25. ArXen42

ArXen42

Hello, I have a problem:

Archlinux, XFCE4, PlayOnLinux. I used script from wiki and manual configuration - without result. How can I fix it?

26. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

27. bendangelo

bendangelo

Has anyone been able to debug with MonoDevelop? Every time I attach the debugger and run, Unity freezes.

Running Ubuntu 14.10.

28. ArXen42

ArXen42

It's not working. I changed timezones and hwclock, reinstalled system, but without result.

29. CptTeacup

CptTeacup

30. huggaida

huggaida

Hi, did you solve this problem?

31. CptTeacup

CptTeacup

32. paalgyula

paalgyula

I have a same issue...

Fedora 21
    NVidia GT610 latest driver, GMT timezone :/

33. huggaida

huggaida

So I have the same issue.
    The only thing I can say is that Unity3d 4,6 perfectly works in my Debian Testing ( 64 bit )after installing on clear system with default video drivers. After installing official NVIDIA driver from nvidia.com I have such a bug with view port. Bad thing is that without installing NVidia Driver I can not use my GPU + Blender Cycles.

34. huggaida

huggaida

Screenshot

Attached Files:

35. Gousenfire

Gousenfire

I'm with a issue!
    My Unity is with a blank gray color and nothing more!

I'm Using:
    Intel® Core™ i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 4
    Graph.: Gallium 0.4 on AMD TURKS
    openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64) 64-bit
    GNOME: 3.14.1
    Unity3D: 4.6.1f
    PlayOnLinux, Wine: 1.7.34

36. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

Wondered if I too would have the issue, but I don't:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (same as @paalgyula)
    Driver: proprietary 331.113
    Installation: Clean on a 32 bit wineprefix, wine version 1.7.34

Please try a clean install without using PlayOnLinux.

With wine version 1.7.34 Unity is able to launch without requiring modifications, but without Tahoma font installed a lot of text will be invisible.

See the following github issue on how to install/replace Tahoma font - https://github.com/Unity3D-Wine-Support/Unity3D-on-Wine/issues/18

37. modeste

modeste

Just want to mention unity3d started without a problem (except the open new project glitch) on LInux Mint with Playon linux and your script I pasted into a .POL file. English isnt my first language. I'm new at unity3d 3d now i'll try to figure how to launch angrybots :)

Thank you all for your hard work.

38. John.T

John.T

39. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

Great to hear that people are using the Wiki.

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey guys,
    I am completely new to Unity development, and try to install Unity Editor with @wnk's script in PlayOnLinux (newest one from GitHub), but every time while installing, the computer dies. The last thing I see being extracted is a "Boolang..." file, then the screen shuts off. I can only reboot the computer with RESET then, Ctrl + Alt + F4/12 ist recognized anymore..

Machine:
    - Ubuntu 14.10
    - Wine 1.7.37
    - ptrace_scope set to 0

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  41. gnumaru

gnumaru

42. dehen_

dehen_

Wow, reinstalled tonight with just winetricks tahoma and 1.7.37

It's late so I haven't done a ton of testing, but it looks like 64bit Unity5, is working mostly out of the box. This is pretty exciting. I can't wait to play around more tomorrow.

@gnumaru I did try a webgl build on a simple project and it failed for me too.

43. luco

luco

Hello, I just installed Unity5 (32 bit) through PlayOnLinux in kubutu 14.10, everything seems to work but when I try to build a simple app on Android, I get the following error: "Please make sure you have a suitable JDK installation. Android development requires at least JDK7 (1.7) having JRE only is not enough". I have JDK 7 and ADT installed in kubuntu, how can I fix this? Thanks for your help!

44. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

45. luco

luco

46. kawschool

kawschool

I'm having an issue where I can't see any fonts when running Unity through Ubuntu. I upgraded to Unity 5 over my Unity 4 install. Any thoughts? I can see a font on dropdown menus (i.e. when deciding which platform to target for builds), but not on the rest.

UnityNoText.png

EDIT: Updated Wine to 1.7.39 and everything works fine, though it doesn't want to make builds (I have a working Windows install that does this fine, but I'm sure for single-rig developers this could be problematic).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  47. Pendrokar

Pendrokar

The JDK installed on Linux, probably not and even if you did I doubt it would be compatible. I don't know how well Wine works with Java Runtime.

@kawschool so you are saying that installing the Tahoma font is no longer necessary in Wine 1.7.39?

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for all the help folks! I was able to get Unity 5 installed and running in PlayonLinux on Ubuntu 14.10 with no hiccups.
    Now comes the real work :)

alone1992 likes this.
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

It does not works on Ubuntu 14.04 and Unity 5.x

50. Pendrokar

Pendrokar