Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity remote for Unity3d 4

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by gameINVENTOR, Dec 24, 2012.

1. gameINVENTOR

gameINVENTOR

Hi, I'm unable to find unity remote for the unity3d 4. Will the guys at unity ever develop a remote for unity3d 4? Is there any solution to test my ios game, I can't publish it every time because my computer is slow and my game is about 1 gb and it take much time. Your help is appreciated.

2. macdude2

macdude2

The unity 3 remote works just fine for unity 4.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

yeah, the same app still works with unity 4

4. gameINVENTOR

gameINVENTOR

5. Poemind

Poemind

I'm searching for the same solution. I need to be able to run the remote in a student computer lab, (I'm teaching iOS development) and I can't get the remote to work with the ad hoc network. I keep getting an "Error while sending message to the Editor" error. :p

Any help with this would be great. I have no problem working with Remote at Home with Unity 4. Works like a charm. But something is going on in this lab setting.

6. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Are you testing on cellular or wifi-only device?

7. I_hate_c_sharp

I_hate_c_sharp

8. Smilediver

Smilediver

Remote 4 is USB only.

9. Poemind

Poemind

Remote 4 is great! An immense improvement.

10. Meceka

Meceka

Hello, with remote 4 only graphics is transfered to the mobile phone. But touch input from mobile phone doesn't work. It's android, and when i build apk and test touch works perfectly.

11. WarpB

WarpB

Doh! Once again, IOS developers like myself forced to develop on windows are left out on this. Is there some legal reason Apple wont let us use an iPhone with unity remote on a windows machine? If you're assuming people developing for IOS don't need to use it on windows, please think again!! I would really like to be able to make use of this! :)

12. Smilediver

Smilediver

@Meceka: did you solve the problem? If not, can you please give more info of the setup you use (Unity version, device, etc)? Also, are touches not transferred on iOS or on Android?

@WarpB: I hear you! The good news is that it's coming in 5.0. :)

13. Meceka

Meceka

I couldn't solve it. I am testing on Android, I've tested with 4.5.1, when it didn't work i have installed latest patch from unity forum, 4.5.1p2.

I've just tested, and back button also doesn't work. It should pop-up the menu normally.

Device is General Mobile Discovery. Old unity remote was working well. Though sometimes it didn't detect each other. Sometimes it just worked in first time, sometimes i needed to close editor, open remote, open editor, if not working do opposite, and sometimes it works. It also happened with unity remote 4, but happened just once.

14. Meceka

Meceka

I have no idea what fixed it, but its working perfect now. If i understand where bug is, i will write here. Thanks.

15. BerggreenDK

BerggreenDK

I cant find that "Editor setting" at all in my Unity3D 4.3.2f1 install???

do I need to activate anything more than my Android license?

16. Meceka

Meceka

As i know, unity remote 4 came with unity 4.5. So you can't use it in earlier unity installations.

17. Smilediver

Smilediver

As Meceka said, it's available only from Unity 4.5. You don't need to activate anything, this feature is available for free.

18. mgear

mgear

is the remote4 apk available somewhere?
    (cannot build it without pro..)

19. Smilediver

Smilediver

20. Heikki-Hiltunen

Heikki-Hiltunen

The iOS link just says that the item is not available... Cannot find it by searching the app store either (neither in Finnish or US shops). Am I missing something?

21. Poemind

Poemind

Wow. You appear to be right. But I did get it. Looking at it on my iPad now. ???? Why would they pull it?

I mean, that is the link that they have on the official documentation
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityRemote4.html

22. Poemind

Poemind

23. Heikki-Hiltunen

Heikki-Hiltunen

Nope... I don't have pro so I cannot get it built.

24. Poemind

Poemind

Hmmm... I thought you could build to iOS with Free now. ?? Not sure, I have pro thankfully. You have a Mac yes?

http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/mobile

Indeed, if your organisation’s annual turnover is less than USD100,000, you can download and keep the free perpetual license version of our software, use it to develop your content and pitch a prototype to investors or publish a commercial product to Android, iOS and Windows devices without it ever costing you a dime.

25. Heikki-Hiltunen

Heikki-Hiltunen

Yes, I can build to iOS provided the app being built doesn't use any "pro" features. Unity Remote does, so it cannot be built with the free version.

It's beginning to seem like Unity Remote is for pro only.

26. Poemind

Poemind

Ah. Didn't realize that. Can you go into the project and remove just those features maybe? I have pro so I didn't realize this limitation. Plus I installed the remote before they pulled it from the App Store.

27. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

28. Heikki-Hiltunen

Heikki-Hiltunen

Got it working, thanks!

29. Square1

Square1

Thanks for the link! Haven't used Xcode before though, and I get only this: "No provisioned iOS devices are available with a compatible iOS version. Connect an iOS device with a recent enough version of iOS to run your application or choose an iOS simulator as the destination." Just updated my iPhone4s, so that shouldn't be the problem. Can you please give some kind of directions how to run it properly?

30. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

Unity Remote 4 and all other apps from Unity Technology are back again in all supported App Stores! We apologise for the inconvenience and hope you can continue with your great work now!