Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unicode symbols and iOS 9.0

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Mantas-Puida, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Hi Everyone,

we would like to share that for applications that are built with older Unity versions and rely on system fonts some Unicode characters might not render correctly on iOS 9.0.

Recently we released patch-release fixes (4.6.8p2, 5.1.3p3) for this issue. You can download them at: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases. Fix for Unity 5.2.0 is coming soon.

If you have your application on App Store and it relies on system fonts and symbols outside standard set, please test it carefully. If it's affected by the problem, rebuild it with Unity versions suggested above and re-submit to the App Store.

2. Sparrowfc

Sparrowfc

however it takes time for Apple to review the submit. And we have just submit an old version. darn!

3. DarkSchneider

DarkSchneider

For that I think is always better to include all the assets in the binary and not "rely". We can't predict the changes in new OS versions and what it will break.

gregory_igromatic likes this.
  4. Sparrowfc

Sparrowfc

yeah ur right. anyway we're totally fed this time

gregory_igromatic likes this.
  5. renman3000

renman3000

Hi, I am building in Unity 5.1. I am using .ttf fonts files. This has posed no issue yet? I am planning on submitting a release to Apple on Monday.

Thanks.

6. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

If you mark your fonts to include data with your app, you should be fine. Otherwise I suggest you carefully test your localization support on devices running iOS 9.0

7. renman3000

renman3000

"Mark your fonts to include data" ? Not sure how to do this? In Build Settings? The font settings in inspector?

Thanks.

8. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

In font import settings inspector.

9. renman3000

renman3000

Ok,
    Thank you.

10. kyousuke916

kyousuke916

Currently I’m working with Unity 4.6.8p2
    I want to publish iOS il2cpp
    The first time I build I have “enable replace” checked and click the replace button to publish
    Normally the second time I build, I am able to choose the append button, but for some reason this time around the append button isn’t clickable.

When trying this on 4.6.8f1 there was no problem and the append button was able to be clicked.
    Is there any way that I can fix this problem within 4.6.8p2 that will enable me to use the append function?

11. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Posted this on another thread, but this thread seems slightly more relevant :
    P.S Include font data is already ticked.

"- 4.6.8p3 - Xcode 7 - iOS 9 - iPhone 4 and 6 (probably others)
    My in-game chat crashes when using 'special characters' on a 'special font'.
    Particularly the slash / : and similar, not sure if this is a bug towards xcode, unity or iOS9, but its the same gui inputfield code thats been used for 3 years now, so 99% sure its not that.
    I updated all 3 at the same time so not sure which one is causing the issue either.
    Having a quick Google around to see if anyone else has this issue, but it might be too early for search results to appear on Google if its a recent thing.
    Just a heads up!"

Edit : Discussed here, switching to mono (2.x) temporary fixed it.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/4-6-ios-64-bit-beta.290551/page-45

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  12. Sparrowfc

Sparrowfc

as I recalled, you can not append an il2cpp compiled project?

13. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Sparrowfc

At one point append was not supported with IL2CPP, but it has been working for a number of releases now, and it should be working as expected now.

14. Sparrowfc

Sparrowfc

yeah~just checked, my info is out of date

15. kyousuke916

kyousuke916

@JoshPeterson
    Unfortunately we are still unable to use the append function. We are still using 4.6.8p2. Do you have any insights on how to resolve this issue or what may be going on?

16. mmunson

mmunson

We can confirm nearly everything is fixed by the one-off 4.6.8p3 release that was posted on one of these threads recently. I wanted to put one more glyph on the radar -- the Russian ruble currency symbol:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/20bd/index.htm

...this is our last broken glyph and it's rather important for in-app-purchase UI for Russian players.

17. Cascho01

Cascho01

Is the fix included in
    Patch 5.2.0p1 ?

18. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Release notes include:
    (718387), (720698) - iOS: Fixed system dynamic font support on iOS 9 where only the first font could be read from certain font collections and font substitutes, as identified by the OS, were not handled.
    So it should be fixed, but of course please test it locally before re-submitting your app.

19. thingiebox

thingiebox

@Mantas Puida Thanks for letting us know about the fix! We upgraded to 5.21 with the fix you mentioned above, on iOS 9 we are still seeing unstable behaviours when displaying certain characters. In our app, you can toggle through a number of languages ( about 40 ) and see the text change. When one character is not found, that UI text object will stop displaying all following text when switching to another languages. We use dynamic font withOUT font data, so totally relying on system font.

The list of languages we are seeing problems with are:
    Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese, Thai, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Punjabi, Hindi, Bengali.

Thanks for any info!

20. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please submit a bugreport with some project to test it.
    Thanks!

21. thingiebox

thingiebox

Hi @Mantas Puida , thanks! Good idea. Btw we just submitted the report. Case 732344

22. Bilelmnasser

Bilelmnasser

Hi All :)
    error 90535 when pushing the app to itunesConnect from Xcode
    'Unexpected CFBundleExecutableKey' in 'UnityAds.bundle'.
    We are using the built-in UnityAds service that comes with Unity 5.2.1f1.
    somone know when this will be fixed Please ?

23. Peter Caddock SL

Peter Caddock SL

Hmm I am wondering if this is what is causing an old game of ours to simply crash on loading?

Roary The Racing Car Rollin' Road was made launched in 2010 - and has worked steadfastly since. It was developed in Unity iPhone 1.5.

The game is crashing on iOS 9.x

Can anyone else confirm older games are doing the same? This old project probably won't even open in Unity 5 and the codebase has never really been touched since the game launched as it was under license.

Is this a permanent issue which is unlikely to be fixed by Apple?

24. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I understand this is a serious question, but any game that has not been updated for least 5 years is considered abandoned, it be best to recompile or least test in Unity 4.6 and take advantage of some of the new tech/advancements. Apple has changed in many years and so has Unity so hence this should not be a shock to you :)

25. andrew-fray

andrew-fray

I believe there's an update for the unity ads package on the asset store for this. At least, that's what the changelog suggests. Don't know if that helps with the built-in service in 5.2.

26. h0lmie

h0lmie

I am having trouble displaying three languages, in which the characters become [?][?][?] symbols. This is is however not dependent on the iOS version I target, but is slightly influenced by what Unity version I use.

The languages affected are:
    • Bengali (Bangladesh)
    • Lao alphabet (Laos)
    • Burmese (Myanmar)
    I have attached a very simple project to reproduce this error, where I display:
    • Latin: "TestTestTest"
    • Bengali: "মোঃহুমায়ুন"
    • Lao: "ນາງອັກຄະສອນ"
    • Burmese: "လြမ္းေနတယ္"
    • Traditional Chinese: "汉字 漢字".
    In the editor all languages work except Burmese. If I build with Unity 4.6.8f1 to an xCode project I then deploy to any iOS versioned iOS device, then Burmese, Lao, and Bengali does not work.
    http://i.imgur.com/x9CXZVe.jpg

If I instead build using Unity5.2.1, then only Bengali and Burmese does not work:
    http://i.imgur.com/Wcwgzpq.jpg

I can fix this error myself by using the "Font Names" functionality (http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-Font.html), to default to fonts I know for certain contain this characters, before letting Unity default to whatever the OS has available, which seemingly is causing the problems. I.e. for Laos I can add dokchampa.tff to the project and default to that, and I will be able to show Laos characters correctly, unfortunately this is a licensed font.

Attached Files:

27. slaczky

slaczky

There is a website that shows how long does it take to review your app. I'm not going to spam here that website url, so I just tell you how to find it. Just google "average app store review time" and you gonna find it.

28. tyoc213

tyoc213