Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

4.6 iOS 64-bit beta

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by jonas-echterhoff, Jan 12, 2015.

1. OnyxM

OnyxM

@JoshPeterson

Well I tried to open my project the next day and I was able to build for iOS.

The thing is, another project is being developed on a Windows 8 OS m/c, and when copying the project over to my Mac OS X Yosemite m/c, and trying to build that - then it's giving all these errors. Have tried only to export assets and recreate the project on Mac, but still giving all these errors.

So now the projects, either old or new, created on Mac version are not giving any issues. Whereas those developed on Windows m/c, also in Unity 5.1.2, are giving these issues........

2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@OnyxM

I believe that copying the project from Windows to OSX should work. Can you try to reproduce this with a test project? If so, please submit a bug report from the OSX machine with the project that causes the error. We may need to dig into the internals of the project to see what is wrong.

3. tatoforever

tatoforever

@JoshPeterson,
    Can you please tell us if there's any update for Unity4.6 and iOS9 support in the works? Our game crashes on iOS9 with the latest version of 4.6, works fine on iOS8.

4. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@tatoforever

In general, 4.6 should be working with iOS9. I suspect there is a specific issue in this case which we will need to investigate. Can you provide more information about the crash? Thanks.

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Download todays 4.6.8 PATCH 2. - Read the changelogs, it supports Xcode 7 and fixes the iOS9 font crash.
    Cheers

tatoforever likes this.
  6. tatoforever

tatoforever

@JoshPeterson
    I though it was "normal" but if you say it should work then I will provide a report case asap.
    PS: What about iPhone6S enums, do we need to wait for a future update?
    Regards,

7. chetanisinanand

chetanisinanand

Cannot build using "Google Play Game Service"
    Getting error :

Error building Player: Exception: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Tools/UnusedByteCodeStripper2/UnusedBytecodeStripper2.exe did not run properly!

Failed running /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Frameworks/Tools/UnusedByteCodeStripper2/UnusedBytecodeStripper2.exe -out

please let me know if there is any workaround for this issue?

8. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Using Unity 4.6.8p2 and XCode 7, but game crashes when starting.
    Same issue with 5.1.3p3 etc.

Crashes on :
    l2cpp::vm::LivenessState::LivenessState at Liveness.cpp
    ; il2cpp_gc_stop_world() at BoehmGC.cpp:262

Not sure what the issue is, worked fine before on Xcode 6 and 4.6.8p1
    Think maybe I try and downgrade, anyone else have problems?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    AcidArrow likes this.
  9. Gwl

Gwl

Our game also crashes on iOS 9 using 4.6.8p2 and XCode 7 with some GC-related stacktrace.

I was able to isolate it to LoadLevel and submitted case 727137 with repro (just an empty project with two scenes and Application.LoadLevel was enough to crash).

10. deekpyro

deekpyro

I am having the same issue MrEsquire and Gwl are having - I upgraded to the El Capitan GM and Xcode 7 and Unity 5.1.3p3. I build and run the game using IL2CPP and the game crashes when it gets to Application.LoadLevel().

The current version of my app on App Store has audio issues in iOS 9 so hopefully we can get a fix ASAP so I can push an update.

AcidArrow likes this.
  11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I get the exact same issue that @MrEsquire reported (Liveness::StartWorld and il2cpp_gc_start_world() at BoehmGC.cpp:267 )

The first scene loads fine (it's just a "better with headphones" scene) and then when it tries to load the main menu it crashes.

If I build only the main menu it works, so it's not something on the scene, but the act of loading scenes (maybe unloading assets? since it seems to be relate to GC) that crashes, just as @deekpyro and @Gwl are reporting.

I use 4.6.8p2, XCode 7, iOS 9 GM

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Did a bug report as well, case 727190 (because... important bug?).

Simple repro, just two scenes and Application.LoadLevel, same as @Gwl

13. tatoforever

tatoforever

Same crash here: Liveness::StartWorld and il2cpp_gc_start_world() at BoehmGC.cpp:267 with both Unity 4.6.8p2 on iOS8.4.1 build with XCode 6.4 and iOS9 with XCode7.
    Crashes soon after opening the game.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  14. OnyxM

OnyxM

Hi @JoshPeterson, thanks for your help.

We did try to reproduce the error with a test project, i.e. created the project on Windows, then copied on the Mac, and then tried to build for iOS. The same errors did come up again. So as suggested by yourself, we have submitted the bug report from the OSX machine.

Thanks again & looking forward to solving this issue!

15. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@tatoforever @MrEsquire @AcidArrow @owl @deekpyro

Thanks for reporting this issue. We've seen this bug internally and corrected it now. We're working on getting a new build of 4.6.8p2 out. I'll update this thread when it is ready.

Note that for the 5.1 series, this same bug made it into 5.1.3p3 as noted here. We've fixed it in 5.1.4, which should be released today.

tatoforever and AcidArrow like this.
  16. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@chetanisinanand

Can you provide more details about the error message? I believe there should be a call stack from UnusedByteCodeStripper2/UnusedBytecodeStripper2.exe in the editor log that should help us get a better idea about the source of the issue.

17. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@OnyxM

Thanks for submitting this bug report, we will investigate it.

18. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@tatoforever

Yes, the iPhone6S enums will be coming in a later update.

tatoforever likes this.
  19. 00christian00

00christian00

I read on another topic that support for 4.6 will end this year. Is it true?

20. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@00christian00

Yes, that is correct. Our sustained engineering team is going to have a blog post with the details about future support plans out soon (this week I think).

21. 00christian00

00christian00

I was hoping for more, since there are still a lot of developers sticking to 4.6 yet .
    Let's hope there won't be any major bug by then.

Moonjump likes this.
  22. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Do you have a rough date?, as I know Unity 4x patches are every two weeks now.
    Also will degrading to 4.6.8p1 resolve the issues for now?

23. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@MrEsquire

We should have the fix for this issue out today. The problem only occurs in 4.6.8p2, so using 4.6.8p1 will avoid it.

24. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

We have a special build of 4.6.8p3 available which corrects the issue with a crash in LoadLevel. You can find it here:

Revision: 5edf5b4fd05e
    Version: 4.6.8p3
    MAC: http://beta.unity3d.com/download/5683418501/unity_update-4.6.8p3.dmg
    (md5sum=4dcf4801f1e44f8ab7b6251a20cb5556)
    PC: http://beta.unity3d.com/download/5683418501/UnitySetup_update-4.6.8p3.exe
    (md5sum=35b0e9fec080d0208fd6703d738f37c0)

Note that this is NOT the final 4.6.8p3 build. We'll release another build with the 4.6.8p3 version number, but a different revision hash as scheduled on September 25. This special version should be used only by those who need something in 4.6.8p2, but are hitting this crash. For other users, I would recommend you stay wth 4.6.8p1.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

25. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

26. pedrohba

pedrohba

Hello,

one more with the problem:

Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:

"RegisterAllClassesIPhone()", referenced from:

RegisterAllClasses() in RegisterMonoModules.o

ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Has someone fixed this issue? Was working fine 'till I had to add support for arm64.

Tried Unity 4.6.6, 4.6.8 and 5.0.2 and the same error happens to all versions.

Best regards,

matbou likes this.
  27. Gamershaze

Gamershaze

Any news on this front for the 5.1.4 or 5.1.3p4? At first I thought it was an in-house issue, but narrowed it down to scene loading and then the referenced error. This post quotes the fix for 'today' as Monday, but it is now Thursday-- three days after. Would just switch to a previous build that doesn't have this issue, but no other supports the latest beta versions/pre-release candidates across the board. (Xcode, Mac OS X, iTunes Connect, etc.)

Until then, the work on our project is halted.

edit: Looking at the topic title this isn't the right place to generally request this kind of thing, but this is the only official post about it and there is no point in creating an entirely new topic for a simple reply/statement update.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    bachirk likes this.
  28. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Gamershaze

Ping me privately via a conversation. We have a pre-release version of 5.1.4 available for those who need it.

29. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@pedrohba

I'm not sure about the exact cause of this problem, although we have seen it once before on this thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/4-6-ios-64-bit-beta.290551/page-43#post-2181137

It looks like this in this case, deleting the Xcode project and building it from scratch corrected the issue. If that doesn't work (or isn't possible) we may need to have a look at this project in a bug report.

30. bachirk

bachirk

Similar situation here as @Gamershaze
    using 5.1.3 and can't go back to previous builds and we are getting the same crash when loading certain scenes

31. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@bachirk

Ping me privately, and I'll pass along the download link. Thanks.

32. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Ah thank you for this, been confusing me for a whole Afternoon.
    Was also getting the xcode ios mac error :
    il2cpp_gc_stop_world() at BoehmGC.cpp:262

33. tuyoshi

tuyoshi

I had download 4.6.8p3, try it, didn't solved il2cpp_gc_stop_world() at BoehmGC.cpp problem

34. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@tuyoshi

Can you provide the full call stack for the crash you are seeing? Maybe there is a subtly different issue which the fix in the special 4.6.8p3 version did not correct.

35. tuyoshi

tuyoshi

Sorry, I have reinstall 4.6.8f1, and update to 4.6.8p3, everything is ok. I think when I test between various version, I have not eject virtual disk of installer dmg, so 4.6.8p3 install seems successful, but still remain the first virtual disk unity version.

36. jeffiowa

jeffiowa

@Satoshi ,

Ping me privately.

Thanks.

37. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@tuyoshi

That makes sense. I've made the same mistake myself before. I'm glad it is working now.

38. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

@JoshPeterson
    - 4.6.8p3 - Xcode 7 - iOS 9 - iPhone 4 and 6 (probably others)
    My in-game chat crashes when using 'special characters' on a 'special font'.
    Particularly the slash / : and similar, not sure if this is a bug towards xcode, unity or iOS9, but its the same gui inputfield code thats been used for 3 years now, so 99% sure its not that.
    I updated all 3 at the same time so not sure which one is causing the issue either.
    Having a quick Google around to see if anyone else has this issue, but it might be too early for search results to appear on Google if its a recent thing.
    Just a heads up!

39. tatoforever

tatoforever

It's a Unity bug on iOS9. I thought it was already fixed on p2, Josh? :D

40. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@tatoforever

Yes, that bug you're referring to was fixed in 4.6.8p2 (the forum thread about it is here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unicode-symbols-and-ios-9-0.355474). However I think @jesusluvsyooh might be experiencing a different bug, although I'm not sure.

@jesusluvsyooh: It might be beneficial to try this same setup with the Mono scripting backend. If it works there, then we might have a bug specific to IL2CPP.

tatoforever likes this.
  41. seedyan

seedyan

HI, Our game is ok on Android ,win and Mac,but it has a problem on IOS
    Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: A null value was found where an object instance was required.
    2.   at OfficialPvTournamentMenuWindow.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    3.   at UnityEngine.GameObject.Internal_AddComponentWithType (System.Type componentType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    4.   at UnityEngine.GameObject.AddComponent (System.Type componentType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    5.   at UnityEngine.GameObject.AddComponent[ChallengeDungeonController] () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    6.   at ChallengeDungeonController+<Create>c__Iterator9E.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    7.   at UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour.StartCoroutine_Auto (IEnumerator routine) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    8.   at UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour.StartCoroutine (IEnumerator routine) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    9.   at NetManager+<LoginTask>c__Iterator717.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    10. UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
    11. UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
    12. UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent()
    13. <Create>c__Iterator9E:MoveNext()
    14. UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)
    15. UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    16. <LoginTask>c__Iterator717:MoveNext()
    17. (Filename: currently not available on il2cpp Line: 4294967295)
    19. NullReferenceException: A null value was found where an object instance was required.
    20.   at ChallengeDungeonController+<Create>c__Iterator9E.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    21.   at UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour.StartCoroutine_Auto (IEnumerator routine) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    22.   at UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour.StartCoroutine (IEnumerator routine) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    23.   at NetManager+<LoginTask>c__Iterator717.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    24. UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)
    25. UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    26. <LoginTask>c__Iterator717:MoveNext()
    27. (Filename: currently not available on il2cpp Line: 4294967295)
    Thx ;)

42. seedyan

seedyan

We AddComponent < ChallengeDungeonController> , but the IOS log show that We AddComponent <OfficialPvTournamentMenuWindow>

43. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Great guess! Switching to Mono (2.x) fixed it.
    More info if it helps : Having it on IL2CPP, only on certain inputfield boxes causes instant crash when using the non default arial font, and characters such as / and :

Correct me if im mistaken, but doesn't Apple/XCode requires IL2CPP before you can submit the apps now right?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  44. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@jesusluvsyooh

Thanks for checking on this. You are correct, IL2CPP is necessary to submit to the App store. This is a bug in the IL2CPP scripting backend then, so please submit a bug report and include this project, if possible. We would like to get this corrected soon. When you get the report submitted, please let me know the bug number. Thanks!

45. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@seedyan

This is not something we have seen before. Can you try this with the Mono scripting backend on iOS? If it does not fail in that case, you're seeing a bug in IL2CPP. If so, please submit a bug report and let me know the bug number. Thanks.

46. tatoforever

tatoforever

Guys, if you don't mind to post here (or in this forum section) once we get the patch with iPhone6S enums, it would be awesome. :)

47. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@tatoforever

Yes, I think we can do that.

48. pslz

pslz

Hi,

I'm having the same problem of @Favo Yang. @JoshPeterson you have any ideia about what's wrong?

That's the error

Undefined symbols for architecture armv7:
    "__ios90orNewer", referenced from:
    InitFontMetadataPreset(std::map<std::string, std::map<int, UnityFontInfo, std::less<int>, std::allocator<std::pair<int const, UnityFontInfo> > >, std::less<std::string>, std::allocator<std::pair<std::string const, std::map<int, UnityFontInfo, std::less<int>, std::allocator<std::pair<int const, UnityFontInfo> > > > > >&) in libiPhone-lib.a(iPhoneFonts.o)
    ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture armv7
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I'm using Unity 4.6.8p2 and XCode 6.3.1 (6D1002).

Many thanks

49. povilas

povilas

Unity Technologies

The ios90orNewer symbol is new in 4.6.8p2. You probably appended a build made with older version of Unity. Could you please use the "replace" option?

pslz likes this.
  50. pslz

pslz

Thank you very much @povilas. I downloaded the old version of Unity and the project works now.