Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. ecurtz

ecurtz

If you look at the UMACrowd.cs demo code it basically does exactly what you're doing but then it also sets the race on the new recipe. You'll need a reference to the UMAContext to be able to get the defined races.

2. BornRyski

BornRyski

Here is something for you to work off... will also allow you to add some UI sliders/ buttons etc so you can adjust your char at run time.
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B614EDB1A118CCB8!2149&authkey=!AIEyFVfU4Ub70Ks&ithint=file,cs

this is what I have working atm:
    http://bornryski.tk/CharacterBuilder/CharacterBuilder.html - (note: unity web player doesn't seem to work on Google Chrome)

EDIT: credit to SecretAnorak - his tutorials helped me with the base of this. Highly recommend you check his youtube channel out:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjIhCVu3eN5qLAX7H9Uo6jg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Richardm1985 and FernandoRibeiro like this.
  3. tredpro

tredpro

Would anybody know how to set up a head look script with uma? i keep failing. im needing it to make the characters head move with the mouse. i can't seem to make it work. thank you guys for any help provided.

4. camelotten

camelotten

can someone help me? i made script for runtime uma generation (thanks to Secret Anorak)
    in scene one its works fine, but in other scene character is so small. anyone encountered such problem?

Attached Files:

5. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

6. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

BornRyski thats a great script! thank you so much. I have watched Secret Anaroks tutorials, but what I am trying to do is actually read in my UMAData from the recipe file created from the PowerTools.

So far everything I have since makes a new recipe. But what if my character already exists? Is that where I would use a load function?

7. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

lol I had the same problem, you need to reset the transform on the GameObject that has your "UMAMaker" script, so its 0,0,0.

8. BornRyski

BornRyski

Watch the tutorials from SA on saving and loading as a string (text file) and have it save in your resources folder. If you want to load the saved character in a new scene, on your void start, load up your standard character generation and have an update function to load in your saved file on to that character... if that makes makes sense lol

Richardm1985 likes this.
  9. Richardm1985

Richardm1985

Haha thanks BornRyski, I just remembered his tutorials on save/load and started watching them again.

Edit:
    It worked perfectly! Thank you so much for the script and for reminding me to rewatch SA's tutorials!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    BornRyski likes this.
  10. hopeful

hopeful

I thought I'd point out two things UMA users might find helpful ...

1) Inventory System Pro seems to have a relatively integrated way of adding UMA clothing to characters, so if you are shopping for an inventory system, you might give it a look.

2) Some wings just appeared in the store. My guess is they are usable with UMA.

Richardm1985 likes this.
  11. BornRyski

BornRyski

Still having major issues getting my clothing to work right, I recorded my process step by step. Can anyone see where I am going wrong here?

12. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

If you drag both the mesh you created and the unified male Base mesh to the scene, do they align correctly?

13. BornRyski

BornRyski

yup, perfectly

Attached Files:

14. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hummm, does the red tshirt appears somewhere at all on the resulting avatar created?
    The final head position of the model is usually a consequence of a wrong positioning of the skeleton, but from the video it looks like you've kept everything n the right place and export settings are correct as well.

I just integrated the blacksmith armor set to UMA without any problem, so there might be some small detail that we are missing here...

if you select the tshirt mesh importer to the scene, is the bone structure there?

15. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Ahhh, just noticed what we were missing! You're keeping all sub materials on the tshirt, try removing all but one, and aplying it to the entire mesh =) This is the first step to get this working.

16. BornRyski

BornRyski

if I set my code to replace the torso with the shirt this is what happens.

Where would I see the bone structure?

Attached Files:

17. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

First of all try removing the extra materials at Blender, as I stated on the previews post, after that we can check the rest.
    The beginning of this video might help as well:

BornRyski likes this.
  18. BornRyski

BornRyski

got it sussed! I had a play about with the scaling in run time, turns out it needed scaling up by 110.

Really appreciate the help on this, it's been driving me around the bend! The shirt isn't anything special, but at least it fits!

I will probably do a tutorial on this myself now that I know what was wrong.

Attached Files:

Richardm1985 likes this.
  19. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Are you sure scale 100 at Unity import settings was not correct? 110 makes no sense to me.

20. BornRyski

BornRyski

for this particular shirt it was 110, but my assumption is that I didn't increase the size of it enough when I used shrink in Blender causing it to just flash through the torso at 100.

FernandoRibeiro likes this.
  21. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

22. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

It's on the way to AssetStore Yay! =D
    This was only possible thanks to Caitlyn and AssetStore, as they gave me permission to integrate this armor piece into UMA =)))) DraftChallenger.jpg

23. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Really great! Didn't expected to be free :)

(Where do I set that color Space as Linear btw?)

24. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

This is a Unity asset, it could only be paid if they were the publishers :) I *only* integrated the content, but it was really quite a lot of work.

You can set color Space as Linear at "Player Settings" window.
    Cheers =)

25. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

26. Orleron

Orleron

I really like the new PBR shaders. I've got them working with my non-standard UMA model.

Question: How would I integrate someone else's Unity shader into UMA for the eyes?

I want this shader: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/eye-advanced-realistic-eye-shader.299760/

I mean.... I have that shader. I bought it, and I'd like to apply it to the eyes of my UMA avatars. Is that possible?

27. hopeful

hopeful

Does this post from two pages back help you?

28. UnLogick

UnLogick

I guess it's time we throw in a scan for shader keywords into the inspector and present you with a drop down rather than have you dig through the shader manually.

Richardm1985 likes this.
  29. TRoNDaNeflin

TRoNDaNeflin

Hi guys

Since ever my UMAs are running aroung with their mouths open. I always thought that a fine adjustment on some DNA property would fix it (this don't happens with the default UMA Locomotion animations).

Now it's time to close their mouthes :) but I'm not able to do it. I can minimize it acting on DNA but they seem to always want to open it up. LOL

I'm looking for some tip to handle this.

Thank you very much.

30. ecurtz

ecurtz

This is a Mecanim bug, but there's a workaround as long as you aren't doing any animation of the jaw or you use the expression stuff for your facial animation.

There are alternate T-Pose assets that don't include the jaw, and if you change your RaceData in UMA/Content/UMA/Humanoid/Races to use the _NoJaw versions that will fix the mouths.

31. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I guess we should consider having _NoJaw as default for the scenes not using facial animation. Not sure for how long this bug will be there :(

32. TRoNDaNeflin

TRoNDaNeflin

Thanks! That fixed it :D

33. Orleron

Orleron

Actually yes it did, thank you!

upload_2015-7-30_11-27-12.png

hopeful likes this.
  34. frankalonso

frankalonso

Hi, would there be anyway to make it possible to use the LegacyMeshCombiner with UMA2?

I have been using LimbHacker from the asset store to handle maiming, but for some reason (in UMA 1 and UMA2) the DefaultMeshCombiner does not allow it to work properly and I'm not sure why. With LimbHacker you put a Hackable.cs on your character and it gives you checkboxes to choose what bones should be hackable. With the LegacyMeshCombiner it would list all the standard bones, but with the defaultmeshcombiner, it only seems to list the adjuster bones (i.e. it will list LeftLegAdjust, but not LeftLeg). Choosing the adjuster bones would not allow it to work properly. Any guidance/help would be greatly appreciated!
    upload_2015-8-2_22-29-9.png

35. ecurtz

ecurtz

I guess in theory it would be possible to update the Legacy Combiner but in practice it will be far simpler to fix the Hackable code to include the correct bones. The most likely issue is that Hackable is looking at the bones which included skinning weights for the mesh, and since in UMA those are the adjustment bones it misses the "real" skeleton. If you check for and include missing parent transforms when Hackable builds its bone list that should then have the whole set.

36. SkymOnkey

SkymOnkey

Hi,

im new to UMA2 and i test to make some clothes, my problem is...how to implement Boots/Coats?! They always cut the Boots/Coats so i have only shoes or shirt ^^. I used the tutorials/codes from SA. Is there an tutorial out that i cant find?!

ty

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

UMA and the Assets store currently have an issue that adds scripts and folders to the wrong location when importing assets. This effects any assets made with a different version than the UMA you have installed. The current fix is to import UMA after the asset or also to wait until they are updated with the current fix.

Importing UMA after will place the appropriate scripts in appropriate places.

38. tequyla

tequyla

Hi,

anyone has trying to implement UMA2 with PlyGame 2.5+ ?

I search a guide for this.

best,

Teq.

39. hopeful

hopeful

I'm sure someone is doing it, but probably best to ask on the PLYGame forums.

Somebody who is proficient with PLYGame could probably create a set of function blox for UMA and share them. That would probably be the best thing.

40. tequyla

tequyla

hi,

i posted on it but no way for the moment :(

++

41. treshold

treshold

I'm bit confused about UMA 2 PBR -setup if you want to use custom textures: For example default material has already body texture assigned and normal map too. should'nt those be set to 'none' if I add overlay-asset using same material and with different textures?

42. ecurtz

ecurtz

The textures on the materials will be replaced with the ones from your overlays. There's just an issue with certain graphics cards not correctly initializing the material if it doesn't have the textures assigned so we gave it default ones - they'll never be displayed.

43. treshold

treshold

Thanks! That explains lot of things I'm experiencing lol :)

44. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

BornRyski, crudeMe, Teila and 2 others like this.
  45. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

I have just realized how much I need UMA!

However I have now made 5 humanoid Toon characters and alot of animation with Mixamo and it will be a epic amount of work to do it all again starting from UMA base meshes. the animations actually work, but re-creating the characters and bones will be alot of work for me.

Is there any way I can make UMA use my Mixamo characters base meshes and bones? I don't mind loosing DNA if needs be... If so is it hard? and are there any tutorials (please @SecretAnorak make some!!), or could someone give me any pointers how to start?

Of my 5 characters there are essentially only 2 (male and female) and the rest of the differences are the clothes they wear.

46. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

Having some issues with UMA2 and Unity 5.1.1f1...

I am trying to follow through @FernandoRibeiro promising looking tutorials on creating 'Races' in regards to my question above. I also tried downloading his own version of UMA from GitHub here https://github.com/huika/UMA
    but am having the same issues with that as with UMA2 from the AssetStore (It did say when I opened that version that it was made in an older version of Unity (5.1.12f - which would seem newer to me but even so)

Things were looking promising until I get to the point around 10:40 in this video
    when dragging the UMA_Human_Male/Female prefab from Assets/UMA/Content/UMA/Humanoid/Races into the Hierachy like Fernando does...

When I drag the prefab in and check it out in the inspector, first of all the UMA Data Script says 'UMA Data not loaded' - with a big red 'Clear' button and then after clicking that I get the following errors:-

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UMAEditor.CharacterBaseEditor.ToolbarGUI () (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/CharacterBaseEditor.cs:877)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UMAEditor.CharacterBaseEditor.Rebuild () (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/CharacterBaseEditor.cs:860)

ArgumentException: Getting control 1's position in a group with only 1 controls when doing Repaint
    Aborting

And then lots more of the first one (at Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/UMA/Core/CharacterBaseEditor.cs:877)

Anyone know whats going on there?

Also if anyone knows whether characters made with Mixamo (and Mixamo bones) will even work in theory (or if all characters for use with UMA have to be made from the UMA base mesh) that would help me save me wasting time even trying to create new races from those meshes...

UMA2 looks amazing though! :)

47. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

I'm also getting lots of these errors after following @SecretAnorak awesome tuts...
    Destroying assets is not permitted to avoid data loss.
    If you really want to remove an asset use DestroyImmediate (theObject, true);
    UnityEngine.Object:Destroy(Object)
    UMA.UMAData:CleanAvatar() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAData.cs:853)
    UMA.UMAData:OnDestroy() (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAData.cs:840)

Not sure whats thats about either- they go away of I do what it says and change all the Destroy commands in UMAData.cs to DestroyImmediate but I am a bit scared that might end up deleting stuff it shouldn't...

48. ecurtz

ecurtz

UMA 2 doesn't use the prefabs in RaceData any more, so that piece of the video is obsolete.

While in theory you could make an UMA race out of your Mixamo character you won't be getting the benefits of UMA without a lot of work modifying the character rig. You said earlier that you don't mind if the DNA doesn't work, what features are you interested in? There's likely a much simpler way to manage it than trying to use your mostly non-UMA character inside of UMA.

49. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

Well what I am trying to achieve is that I want to be able to have base meshes that can wear lots of different clothes, have custom hair etc. Reason being that I am trying to minimize the initial download for my app. The actual people/characters are not going to change, just what they wear. Also the user may wish to select that they have grey/blond/dark hair etc

What I am trying to work out how to do is have these characters perform in lots of (later released) scenes that the user may or may not choose to download after they have downloaded the app initially.

So the initial app will have the toonFemale and toonMale meshes along with their first outfits and subsequent app bundles will have other outfits that the same base meshes will wear.

Also subsequent scenes may have more or less copies on the toonMale/Female wearing different things.

At the moment I have to have 4 character meshes for the lead male, lead female, supporting male and supporting female and those 4 are taking up 15meg, I only really need 2, they just need to wear different stuff. I much prefer the quality of my Mixamo characters to stock UMA ones and am just trying to work out a balance between quality and filesize. If I can use two mixamo base meshes instead of four I can keep the quality I'd like...

Also I'm going to enable the user to choose whether the characters should be male/female and their hair color and what combo of clothes they wear- so doing stuff like generating them at runtime from a library will be great.

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree here but I thought it looked like UMA could help me...

50. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

Regards the DNA those features would be awesome to have- so I could make different versions of characters different shapes and so on rather than just wearing different things... but that is potentially something I could work on over time maybe and update the base meshes that initially downloaded with the app so that they have this feature?