Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uFrame Game Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Michael_invertgamestudios, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Michael_invertgamestudios

Michael_invertgamestudios

Yes ALL platforms :)

2. Michael_invertgamestudios

Invert is now on Tumblr, go see what games are being created with uFrame.

We have a Google Community building, come join us.

IRC Channel is open, get help and chat with other developers using uFrame.

3. Michael_invertgamestudios

uFrame will be on Sale for $80 until version 1.5 is released :)

zee_ola05 likes this.
  4. zee_ola05

zee_ola05

This is awesome news! When will 1.5 be released?

5. Michael_invertgamestudios

No date set yet, but soon :)

6. OnePxl

OnePxl

I looked at the roadmap, but couldn't see an entry for automated test (stub) generation that was mentioned in the Unite 2014 talk. Is that still on the table?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  7. micahoz123

micahoz123

Absolutely, the roadmap on the website is somewhat out of date, the new roadmap is on trello at the following link.

https://trello.com/b/dXaihYXE/uframe-roadmap

The Unit Test stub generation is high on the list, there's already a plugin that is under works for it by one of customers :) It should be available shortly after 1.5 is released

8. OnePxl

OnePxl

Thanks. I've looked at the roadmap on Trello, but I couldn't find any mention of tests. I did see Unity Webplayer issues and memory leaks in LINQ, hopefully these will be resolved soon? (I'm already a customer, BTW)

Will the plugin be released separately?

9. micahoz123

micahoz123

Yes, it will most likely be on github.

The memory leaks defined in trello, thats more or less a question from someone, the leaks posted on that are actually from instantiating something and not uFrame using linq, as uFrame Core doesn't use very much linq at all. But we do want to provide better support for linq out of the box, the whole idea of uFrame ( among many others) is to eliminate most of the common gotchas with Unity.

There are a few games out the right now, and there haven't been any actual field reports of linq causing any memory leaks, but its definitely something we are investigating

10. OnePxl

OnePxl

Alright, to be honest, I did not understand the instantiating bit, since that's not part of uFrame, right?

11. Michael_invertgamestudios

If you haven't seen, uFrame tutorials thanks to Sinitreo, new ones on the way!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  12. Michael_invertgamestudios

uFrame 1.5 coming soon :)

13. MikeTon

MikeTon

Hey Michael,

I'm really digging uFrame and are liking the new updates. I'm also running the Unity 5 beta and are getting a series of errors:

Assets/uFrameComplete/UniRx/Scripts/UnityEngineBridge/ObservableWWW.cs(22,134): error CS0619: `UnityEngine.WWW.WWW(string, byte[], System.Collections.Hashtable)' is obsolete: `This overload is deprecated. Use the one with Dictionary argument.'

This is in a fresh new scene. Any thoughts on what it may be?

Thanks.

-Mike

14. movra

movra

Go to ObservableWWW.cs and try replacing

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if !(UNITY_METRO || UNITY_WP8)
    2.     using Hash = System.Collections.Hashtable;
    3.     using HashEntry = System.Collections.DictionaryEntry;
    4. #else
    5.     using Hash = System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary<string, string>;
    6.     using HashEntry = System.Collections.Generic.KeyValuePair<string, string>;
    7. #endif
    with

Code (CSharp):
    2.     using Hash = System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary<string, string>;
    3.     using HashEntry = System.Collections.Generic.KeyValuePair<string, string>;

15. Michael_invertgamestudios

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  16. Michael_invertgamestudios

17. MikeTon

MikeTon

That works. Thanks bud!

-Mike

18. Kiori

Kiori

Does uFrame allow for easy saving and loading of an entire scene, to a file, like with object positions, stats, whatever. Can you choose exactly what is saved? is it all script based?
    This would be a major helper, specially if its more visual, so i'd like to know how it works.

I tried finding that info and couldn't.

also whats the performance impact of using uFrame on mobile, versus regular scripting.
    And how does uFrame work when being side-by-side with other assets. can uFrame's visual elements call other asset's specific functions/methods, whatnot?

19. Michael_invertgamestudios

Contact us for a LIVE DEMO :)

Please contact:
    invertgamestudios@gmail.com
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14381

20. Michael_invertgamestudios

21. Michael_invertgamestudios

22. rosdi

rosdi

What kind of game is suitable for uFrame? Is it a general game development framework that will work for any kind of game?

Or.. to put it another way, what kind of game would not be suitable to use uFrame?

23. OnePxl

OnePxl

It's a programming framework, so it has nothing to do with game genres.

24. SpectralEdge

SpectralEdge

I am using uFrame and run in to a bit of a bug. I was trying to push some of my Controllers to another graph, when I did nothing happened, they shrunk down and went grey indicating they were moved, but when I looked at the other graph they did not exist. So I deleted the graph. Unfortunately the graph was open when I deleted it. Now I am stuck as unity keeps trying to open the graph in the editor window no matter what I do.

Is there a file somewhere where I can change which graph it is trying to open by default when uFrame loads?

25. Michael_invertgamestudios

Shoot us an email at:
    invertgamestudios@gmail.com

26. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

27. strich

strich

Does this plugin have full support in Unity 5 yet?

28. zee_ola05

zee_ola05

Feature request: Have an option to have generated code to follow Unity's coding convention. i.e. camelCase for properties.

Edit: or have a way to customize code formatting for the generated files.

29. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Is uFrame worth getting? I just saw this on Asset Store Madness sales, but I don't understand what it does. From the look of it, its very similar to uScript, it let you visual script and generate code. How different is it to uScript?

30. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

it will generate virtual classes that you can extend and add logic in your override, so when you want to add a feature in your graph and recompile it will not break your code. its great for producing stable and clean code easy to extend if you respect the mvvm pattern however its really hard to dive in because all tutorials are outdated and the UI editor changed a lot since 1.5

However they have a new product in development: http://invertgamestudios.com/ecs/overview
    but there is very few information no tutorial which are very important for these kind of tools.

MVVM is good for large project/companies when ECS is more indie/small teams friendly

31. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

After my last game devolved into brittle, hard-coupled, spaghetti code, and callback hell (even in Unity this can happen) I tried to learn better code organization by using two assets. One was uFrame MVVM, and the other was StrangeIOC. uFrame MVVM was just too hard to understand and the tutorials were out of date, and StrangeIOC (it’s almost like a cult as the developers and worshipers swear it suits Unity) while it has a lot of great ideas, like inversion of control and code injection, just didn’t seem to make sense with Unity and had the opposite effect (on me) of making code organization easier to follow .

Anyway, trying these assets quickly made developing in Unity an ordeal instead of a pleasure and brought my coding in Unity to a halt as I was trying to shoehorn these methodologies into Unity, and just couldn’t. And I feel that the MVC pattern (unless bastardized) does not fit with Unity’s way of doing things: components which are a mixture of model, view, and controller.

So now I am just going to go with the flow and just try to use more messaging and UnityEvents to decouple my code, and keep it more organized.

But for the ECS people, uFrame is releasing a ECS system for Unity. uFrame ECS. And maybe people who are also trying to improve their code organization will have more luck than I did with uFrame MVVM (expensive but 50% off during the Unity Madness Sale) or StrangeIOC (free with great support).

32. liortal

liortal

Just tried uFrame in my project (unity 5.2.1) but it fails due to an error:
    Assets/uFrame/Kernel/Serialization/Json/JsonStream.cs(234,53): error CS0117: `uFrame.Serialization.JSONClass' does not contain a definition for `AsQuaternion'

I think that it's using IFDEFS but not including the ones for Unity 5.2:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #ifUNITY_DLL||UNITY_4_0||UNITY_4_1||UNITY_4_2||UNITY_4_3||UNITY_4_4||UNITY_4_5||UNITY_4_6||UNITY_5_0||UNITY_5_1||UNITY_3_0
    2. public virtual Quaternion AsQuaternion

33. liortal

liortal

Also, not sure whether its just a branding update or something else - what is the difference between what i have now (uFrame Game Framework, uFrame MVVM and uFrame ECS) ?

34. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Ha. I've had/have all three. Bought and got a refund for the original because it was too hard and the tutorials where highly inaccurate. Then I bought MVVM because it seemed to be a big improvement with better tutorials.

It's best to ask Invert or read their website. But my understanding is uFrame Game Framework is the original and I think it stayed that way till version 1.5. Then it became uFrame MVVM at version 1.6 which is a very improved version and of course it follows the MVVM design pattern. uFrame ECS (Entity Component System) is not MVVM. And is was probably designed in response to the original uFrame being too difficult for most people to use. ECS is a much more simple system, and they say, more matches the way things are done in Unity. Also ECS is mostly a visual system, whereas the original uFrame used visual elements to generate code templates that follow the MVVM design pattern. The developer then fleshed out that code.

But I just got ECS Indie because Invert just offered it free to anyone who bought uFrame MVVM before October 1st. I watched the intro video for ECS and to tell the truth, it still looks too hard for most people to pick up. This is because it is so alien to the Unity way. That is the main problem with all these design patter frameworks with Dependency Injection, Inversion of Control. etc.

If you are looking to keep your code organized then Code Control is the one that seems to fit Unity the best. It is simple and cheap. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/30871

35. docsavage

docsavage

Hi TokyoDan,

I have not heard anything about this offer. I have looked on their website but cannot see any reference to it. Could someone advise how to redeem this?

Thanks

doc

36. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

It was on Invert's Slack channel (invite only) and I think on Twitter. I'll get the info for you in 30 minutes. I havve to stop out.

37. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Here is what was on the Slack #uframe-mvvm channel:

Announcement: All uFrame MVVM Owners get uFrame ECS Indie for free. Details here: http://eepurl.com/bBjpZz

Basically if you purchased MVVM before October 1st but don't see it in the Invert website downloads section of your account, link your Unity Invoice after logging in and then go back to the downloads section. It should be there

38. docsavage

docsavage

Thanks for this TokyoDan.I appreciate it.

I will check it out now.

Doc

39. docsavage

docsavage

Just a thanks to Invert for giving the Indie ECS free to customers like myself. Downloaded the indie ECS pack off the Invert website as described by TokyoDan. As a beginner in programming I had put Uframe on the backshelf to look into another day. It looks like quality but a decent level of coding knowledge is essential. I will be looking at it someday hopefully . If ECS is easier to get into then it has made my original purchase more worthwhile.

Thanks Invert.

Thanks TokyoDan for mentioning it.

40. Bradamante

Bradamante

I don't understand how this product is structured. There's a uFrame product on the Asset Store. Then there's a uFrame ECS on the company page, but also a uFrame MVVM (which has no purchase link). So, if MVVM can't be purchased, where is it? Is it free? I go to the Github page and I do find some uFrame product. When I download this the Kernel folder is almost empty. Then on the Github page there's a uFrameKernel thing. Would I need this too? And then UniRx? So, just download three packages on Github (uFrame, uFrameKernel and UniRx) and I am good to go? And the AssetStore purchase + the website ECS purchase is just sugar on top?

41. docsavage

docsavage

Hi Bradamante,

I am not 100% about this but I think uFrameMVVM is just a new name for the older uFrame on the asset store and that the ECS is a more user friendly and modified version for newbies like me who were out of our depth with the original.

42. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Thanks TokyoDan! :)

43. Bradamante

Bradamante

Is uFrame ECS built on uFrame MVVM? ECS is 45$ on their page, but MVVM is 96€ on the Asset Store. So ECS is only a subset? How could this work technology-wise? Or, is the price of ECS so low since it is an introductory price?

44. docsavage

docsavage

I don't know sorry. I only learned of ECS recently and have not had time to look at them.

Hopefully Invert themselves will be able to answer soon.

45. Bradamante

Bradamante

Have you tried fixing this? I just bought uFrame on the Asset Store, added a UNITY_5_2 check and now the console is exploding with even more errors. With invertgamestudios not responding to my multiple inquiries, them not responding in their forums and an asset that I would say is disfunctional ... I have reported/flagged the asset on the store and started a thread here.

EDIT: You have to correct all version checks, then it works. Still, I find this unacceptable.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  46. zyzyx

zyzyx

47. knotFF

knotFF

Right.
    So I created a new project and Imported uFrame 1.6.... This is what I get in the console when I open the package.
    1. Assets/uFrame/Kernel/Serialization/Json/JsonStream.cs(234,53): error CS0117: `uFrame.Serialization.JSONClass' does not contain a definition for `AsQuaternion'
    2. Assets/uFrame/Kernel/Serialization/Json/JsonStream.cs(395,38): error CS1061: Type `uFrame.Serialization.JSONNode' does not contain a definition for `AsQuaternion' and no extension method `AsQuaternion' of type `uFrame.Serialization.JSONNode' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Ideas? Unity 5.2.2, OSX latest, etc.

48. Filhanteraren

Filhanteraren

uFrame Esc is based on Entity Component System (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity_component_system)
    and uFrame MVVM is based on some sort of Model View Controller thing.

I haven´t tried ESC but I used uFrame for almost a year on a project but ultimately decided to dump it. The support and documentation was a bit bad with not a lot of good resources to find answers to you questions. They idea that they have a slack channel as support seem like a good idea but you need to hang there all the time and no answers or solutions are saved anywhere which makes newcomers even less likely to find easy common mistakes. On top of that the updates to newer version always broke my project in one way or another, I could not even make the last upgrade 1.5 to 1.6 and the help fix it was non existing almost. I might give it a go on a new project if they could fix a lot of documentation and upgrade issues but right now I feel more happy without it.

TokyoDan and ChiuanWei like this.
  49. ChiuanWei

ChiuanWei

where are u guys??

50. knotFF

knotFF

Don't bother. Their customer support is non-existent. I emailed them a around 10 times and got 1 reply, which was short, apologetic and did not answer any of my questions.
    They tell you to subscribe to their "chat" system and I tried adding myself to that 3x and got no reply as well.
    So good luck to all of us, on this road alone...