Search Unity

Studica Commercial License

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Warrior1424, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

So I was looking at this today,
    and noticed that it appears to be a full commercial license for Unity Pro.
    Except for one tiny detail:
    Does this mean the only way I could make money off my game is via advertisements?

2. bitcrusher

bitcrusher

i don't think so, just a hint at how to do so.

3. iKonrad

iKonrad

Think App monetization refers to both paid apps and IAPs/ads.
    I've had a conversation with people from Unity Team and they confirmed that this version can be used for commercial projects, even after graduation.
    The only downside is that you cannot resell this licence and the licence key can be redeemed on one machine at a time (so you can't have the same key used for Mac and Windows at the same time).

I've purchased this licence and I'm extremely happy.

4. squared55

squared55

Also bought this license. It's the same as the standard license, but only on one computer (and students/faculty only, blah blah blah). You can sell your game.

5. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I bought my copy of Unity Pro on a studica license and I am glad I did... and I use it on my laptop so it's definitely a great deal :), and it is also upgradable too.

6. Grimwolf

Grimwolf

How strict is Studica about your student status? Autodesk I know has something similar for non-commercial use, and I'm pretty sure they don't even fact check the application at all.

7. Zeblote

Zeblote

But doesn't unity have this automatic "return license" thing? So in theory, if you want to switch computers, take the license off the one computer and put it on the other one.

8. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I don't see anything about advertising in your quote?

"Monetization" as a word doesn't mean anything to do with adverts. "Monetizing" something just means using it to make money. It just happens to be common lingo for people selling advertising schemes.

9. iKonrad

iKonrad

Yeah you can do that, worry not.

10. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

Ah, thanks. I did not know that.

11. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Hyper strict.

12. squared55

squared55

They won't even process your order before you send proof of enrollment.

13. Fradno

Fradno

Not to derail, but about app monetization, I thought that you only needed pro if you are gonna make over $100,000 in revenue of any kind per year, while the free version is under that price.

So stuff like iAds/app monetization doesn't work unless it's the pro version? I'm confused about this matter. = {

14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

No, you're right in the first sentence. I'm pretty sure that the Studica page (or wherever that quote came from) just stuck those words on the end to clarify that you are indeed allowed to use the version they sell for monetized (commercial, for sale, etc.) applications. Alas, their choice of terminology seems to have confused rather than clarified.

15. julien-b

julien-b

Hi,
    I want to buy a licence through studica.
    Can someone confirm you can create commercial games and that it is not watermarked.
    If I'm right the only difference is you can only install it on one computer.
    Regards

16. Griffo

Griffo

Yes you can and no it's not .. look HERE and HERE

17. Teila

Teila

You do not need a student license anymore. Unity 5 is free and has pro features. It is for commercial products up until you make over $100k with your projects.

18. Griffo

Griffo

I intend to make well over $100k .. ;)

19. Zeblote

Zeblote

Then you still only need the license once you actually made the first $100k, right?

20. Teila

Teila

You can buy it then, Griffo. lol Actually, you would be foolish to buy the student version as it is essentially the same as the free version with a few add-ons that are not crucial. It is your pocketbook though. I am partial to poor students so thought I would save you some money.

21. julien-b

julien-b

The main reason to get the the pro version is the new splashscreen which looks really unprofessional. I would like to replace it with a custom one. But it would be a really expensive splashscreen.

22. Teila

Teila

Ahhh...if that is worth the money for you, then go for it. :) Although..doesn't the student version have a splashscreen?

23. Griffo

Griffo

Only problem is if your are planing on writing for iOS or Android you need to buy the Pro .. HERE

24. julien-b

julien-b

Well, that was my first question, that is to know if the licences bought through studica are a different version of a full-price professional one.

25. Griffo

Griffo

I can confirm that the licences bought through studica is the full-price professional one.

26. Zeblote

Zeblote

Not at all? The personal edition works just fine for android and ios. All the previous pro restrictions have been removed on all platforms, except for the splash screen.

27. Griffo

Griffo

Zeblote

From HERE

No. You must purchase or subscribe to a Unity 5 Professional Edition and iOS Pro and/or Android Pro add-ons to deploy to those platforms. Please refer to our Software License Agreement for further information.

28. Zeblote

Zeblote

The question is titled:
    "Can I use Unity Personal Edition with iOS Pro and/or Android Pro add-ons?"

Please read properly - it says you'll need to also buy a normal pro license if you want an android or ios pro license. However, you can just use the personal edition for those platforms as long as you make less than $100k.

29. Griffo

Griffo

sorry I though we were talking about Pro ..

30. Zeblote

Zeblote

We're talking about how there is no need to buy pro at all as long as you can live with the splash screen and make less than $100k? At least I thought that was the point. :D

Ryiah likes this.
  31. Griffo

Griffo

Yeah but you get level 11 ;)

I have a Studica Pro licence and if I have all the freebies from level 11 it will pay for it's self in the first year .. lol

32. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, you wouldn't want to miss the fireball prefab that normally costs $5. :p

33. Griffo

Griffo

That's $5 off the cost .. :)

34. Ryiah

Ryiah

Only if it actually benefits you though. I've yet to see more than one asset on Level 11 that I've actually bought and found useful. It was PlayMaker and was available in the very first month.

Teila likes this.
  35. Teila

Teila

Agree. I am enjoying spending my $1500 I didn't spend to buy pro on assets. Getting lots of really good stuff, none of it on Level Eleven. If you are the kind of person who gets a thrill out of getting stuff free, even if you don't need it, then it might be worth the pro cost. Of course, a student edition is fine...if one really is a student.

36. Griffo

Griffo

I think everyone is going to have a different view on what's the best option, for me at the time and the direction I wanted to go in I thought Pro was a good deal, for others Pro and the cost is not going to be.

Having level 11 for me is just a bonus, and I agree lots of the asset free or reduced are or will not be useful to me so I will not download or buy them, I will only download or buy the ones I'm going to use or plan to use in future projects.

Ryiah says he's only found PlayMaker to be useful for him,
    personally I didn't and I don't think I'll ever use it so never downloaded it, but I did download Edy's Vehicle Physics, free last month, as I will use that in a future project.

Teila I to didn't buy Pro to get assets, all I'm saying is level 11 is a nice bonus, as long as it lasts, but I wouldn't agree with what you say "Getting lots of really good stuff, none of it on Level Eleven" .. PlayMaker and Edy's Vehicle Physics in the last two months are in my opinion good stuff, but thats just my opinion based on my needs.

But anyway everyone is different and thats what I love about Unity and the indie community.

Ryiah likes this.
  37. Teila

Teila

Oh, you misunderstood..and I see why. :) I meant that nothing I bought was on Level 11. I already had anything there I wanted long before Level 11 existed so it would be a waste for me. There are some great things there.

And yep, everyone is different and that is fine. I also know people who love sales and buy it all up, saving things for "someday". Of course, some of those folks complain now because the items have gone free or are not going to be updated. That is the risk. I am one of those...buy it on sale but only if I can use it in the next few months or maybe if it is already on my wish list. That way, I can buy some big things that I otherwise couldn't afford, like this week's Alloy Shaders. Now that was a deal! :)

Ryiah likes this.
  38. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's a bit funny though. I didn't buy PlayMaker to use it in a project. I bought it because it is a popular solution for visual scripting that allows for custom node creation. Quite a number of people who provide developer assets also provide custom nodes for it. I wanted a copy so I could do the same thing if I released code-based assets.

Having Level 11 wouldn't have actually benefited me much though as PlayMaker is semi-frequently on sale.