Search Unity

Official Unity 5 Launch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by John-Riccitiello, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genkidevelopment

Genkidevelopment

Please can you digress?

What might I possibly be doing that is incompatible?

2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys... does anyone know how long it takes to get a refund. For my particular situation, I still have to share information and try to get this expedited. I also didn't get any comfirmation that my request was received...

3. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Ok, i thought that was what I asked, I did say what version of Unity UI is in 5.0, didn't I o_O?

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The 3D physics engine is new and not entirely compatible with the old one. I think some shader stuff isn't compatible. Maybe others. (There's some scripting stuff that's not compatible, but Unity 5 has an optional auto-script-update feature.)

--Eric

twobob likes this.
  5. Tomza

Tomza

6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

How come the unity shader compiler comes up with THIS during android build?!
    upload_2015-3-8_15-54-47.png

7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok, issue above solved: it appears that upon hitting syntax errors in GLES shaders, the process crashes.

I also found a couple of shaders that compiled perfectly under both D3D9 AND D3D11, yet they had syntax errors! Likewise, the process would crash when it found errors in the GLES version of the shader! DA HELL?! :eek:

This warrants a bug report, I think... :D

8. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to Unity team for this amazing tool.

I have an important question, I now have subscription. now I want to change it to flexible and then cancel it. And purchase student version pro over the studica. Does the student version also applies to 100K$ cap?

And how the verification processes for the student license? Is a student certificate from the university is enough? What is the procedure?

Thanks in advance.

9. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I don't believe you can make any money off commercial products with a student version.

But the student version is the free version anyways. The only difference really is what they are providing outside of Unity for the student. As seen on the "get unity" page.

10. Griffo

Griffo

You can make money from a student version, if you buy the correct version ..

hakankaraduman look HERE for who can order ..

Attached Files:

11. twobob

twobob

This release version of Unity is very unstable.
    Is there a likely release date for a version that doesn't hang terminally if I go make a cup of tea?

Thanks
    (and yes I am grumpy about lost time on a "released as ready" product)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  12. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

So... with all these features going free in Unity Personal, is there any need for worry regarding Unity staying afloat financially?

13. twobob

twobob

14. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

So, a student id card is enough, that's good.

But the page also says "Many educational products are upgradeable to commercial versions.". What does that exactly mean? Can someone from Unity give precise information about if I can use student pro version to make money?

15. twobob

twobob

Yep.not sure that is "good info" there. We have educational licenses here. Whether or not that is the same as "Student Pro" I have no idea. You specifically are forbidden to make money from ours.

Hopefully someone can clear it up for you.

When I asked about further information on the new details of our licensing (from the person who sold them to us) - I was told to contact support, who - then - two days later - told us - "You get none of the new benefits"

Nice ey. research hard before going down that route. We would have been better off never buying licenses

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  16. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Then I'm afraid it also applies to student version, but on the other hand, they don't give refund right to educational institute licenses but giving refund right to personal student licenses. Maybe it also applies to making money rules. Student license is more then %50 cheaper for me, so I hope it will let me make money.

@Aurore

17. twobob

twobob

I certainly hope so mate. Good fortune.

18. Griffo

Griffo

Take a Look ..

Here
    Here .. It can be used for both academic and commercial projects (ie. You can make money selling your apps!)

So as far as I'm concerned you can make money from a student Unity 5 Pro license ..

19. twobob

twobob

Happy days then... Sounds like a good thing

20. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

That's OLD info. Doesn't automatically apply to Unity 5, as its a new version subject to new licensing agreements. Don't get sued. learn BEFORE you act

21. orb

orb

22. ZJP

ZJP

@UT Here you forgot :

* 64B Editor

I think this is a MAJOR improvement. No? :D

23. Emsw0rth

Emsw0rth

Actually, not wanting to be contentious without reason - I absolutely CANNOT use the Free version of Unity 5 because, though I started making 3D assets and programs when I was young - (like most of you present) - I am now old. Not non-productive, just old.

Especially, my eyes are old - and damaged from 30 + years of CRT, and overbright LCD display viewing - for many hours each day. If we could take a poll - I will wager that many productive CG people that are in their late 40's to 60's and older can no longer tolerate light backgrounds on their computer monitors - simply due to the fact that this kind of over-exposure ultimately damages and has damaged their eyes.

I actually believe there was a Unity poll once conducted regarding this HEALTH issue - and the respondents suffering from severe eye strain or other monitor related disabilities were unanimous.

To many of us, this "Dark Theme" exclusion present in the "Free" version of Unity is among the most petty of behaviors we've ever seen coming from a company that wants to pass itself off as a leader in "Democratization" of the games industry. Juvenile, really.

What do you think?

Greg Smith

24. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Regarding student license, I confirmed with Studica, we can use it for commercial products and earn money with it.

Griffo likes this.
  25. Archania

Archania

Greg,
    Same as you, I have been using computers since the Tandy Color Computer and the lovely trs 80. But I did some research here about this "Health" issue and color of the screen.. this is what I found:
    http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/computer-vision-syndrome
    http://www.pasadenaeye.com/faq/faq08/faq08_text.html
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/12/health/upwave-computer-eyes/

No where does it say the color of the screen will make a difference.
    Just trying to help here.
    "Create Good Lighting And Reduce Glare
    Try to modify the lighting eliminating glare and harsh reflections. If reading, having the
    light source coming from behind, over your shoulder, helps to prevent glare problems. If
    using a computer, dark print on a white or light gray background is less fatiguing to the
    eyes than multicolored print. Sometimes a plastic or glass filter over a computer screen
    with an anti-reflective coating can help with computer glare. These can be purchased from
    any office supply store."

Moonjump likes this.
  26. Gokcan

Gokcan

what is customizable splash screen? Is it same as before? Or they have added animated splash screen?

27. orb

orb

At the moment, the free version has an animated splash screen before any scene loads (at least on desktop; possibly a still image on mobile, but I haven't actually built for any of those yet). Customisable splash screen now simply means you can pick the image in the optional resolution popup, and that you can make any scene of yours the first thing that appears.

28. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

It can take up to 6 weeks for my team to process refunds.

twobob and KRGraphics like this.
  29. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

What version did you use prior to the 5.0 release?

hippocoder likes this.
  30. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Good to know. I'm really enjoying the new unity

31. LanceGoodthrust

LanceGoodthrust

It is possible that I missed it if already asked, and if so I apologize, but I was wondering if Unity 5 is still on .net 3.5 and if so are there plans to upgrade to a more recent version of the .net framework?

32. Breyer

Breyer

still ancient mono, but with il2cpp, after strike on ios&android&consoles (as far as i know these 3 things have to have il2cpp) Unity could update mono to newer version without paying any penny to xamarin

33. Yapp-Yapp

Yapp-Yapp

Amazing new features…! Realistic rendering and UI management were the only things missing until today. Your guys did a great job and I'm totally excited about using it. Thank you !

34. kikoman

kikoman

Why don't Education users who pay for Pro versions get level 11?

twobob likes this.
  35. kikoman

kikoman

I agree it's an odd decision almost petty difference, I should be able to change the color as i see fit

36. twobob

twobob

Hmm, there is so little left differentiating the offerings now.
    We have a color blind child who found certain bits of a painting interface tricky to use with the default colors too. It is a puzzle to get everything right for everyone isn't it.

I suppose it is possible to customise aspects of the editor manually, but I would strongly suggest reading the T&C's before one attempted anything that might result in punitive consequences ;)
    heh.JPG

although, let's be honest, it's more fun this way ;)

360.JPG

Joking aside. Some alternate contrast themes for those with special ocular requirements wouldn't go amiss. "High Contrast", "Inverted Contrast", and maybe a glance at http://wearecolorblind.com/ would be a nice start.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  37. Gokcan

Gokcan

So what is next now?:) Where will we go on bug reports? What is the roadmap for 5.1? Where are the sample projects announced at GDC? Still no GI video tutorials...

38. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Everyone can report bugs. Pro users will have priority on their bug reports.

twobob likes this.
  39. twobob

twobob

Triage will still apply. Otherwise obviously this would be a potentially counter-productive policy.

Might I ask if education licenses still count as Professional in this context?
    Just for clarification purposes; if there is an official list of the implications of the new changes/services/service-levels to educational license holders I will happily be pointed there :)

Many thanks.

incidentally. http://www.psychologicalscience.org...e-interactions-may-sometimes-be-negative.html
    Paragraph 3 onwards really. People ey ;)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  40. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

THIS. If those notices are actually on the Unity 5 buttons- WELL DONE UT!!!

41. base4

base4

hehehe clearly edited the clear text resource files. but funny :D

Here is Unity 5 at it's very free-est (That's a word okay?).

Linux + Wine + Nerdness + U5 = Free Love baby.

Sadly there is one showstopper - LEFT ALT + LEFT CLICK + DRAG does not make the model pivot about the focus' central axis (it just doesn't rotate at all) is there an alternate way to rotate things in the scene view?

Other than that works impressively. Great work UT!.

UnityFreeLikeReallyFree.png

example.png
    runningExample.png

(is there a click-drag wokraround does anyone know? thanks!)

This tiny thing is the only thing stopping me trying to swicth to Linux full time at last...
    Maybe I can change the keybinding for the LEFT ALT + CLICK DRAG rotate thing?

Clueages?
    :D :D :D

Hmm it just drags the window around,,, maybe its an ubuntu 14.x setting I can change??

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  42. base4

base4

To answer my own question:

One can simply press SUPER + LEFT ALT then drag around. that works.

or faff around in compiz and disable the Window Manager from doing it via various means.
    First one is easiest.

43. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@base4: Well done Linux! :)
    And those who use Xubuntu don't have that issue; the option to disable alt +drag is actually easy to find! And how well does DX11 mode work on Linux? If it uses OpenGL 4.0... THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

base4 likes this.
  44. base4

base4

To be honest I am more interested in the likelihood of some Angus MacGyver style LD_PRELOAD LibPthread (and friends) massage to get us the ability to at least run some basic games/apps with U5 on other distros.

Given the sheer, enormous, development-think-tank potential of the UT staff now doubtless they could whip up a horror-show solution around scuttlebutt. In the absence of that gravitationally massive help, it would be up to us.

I, for one, would sorely love to at least run my creations under Slack and a couple of the other big distros (just to be fair).
    Mainly to extend the reach of the platform. No other reason. Kudos I suppose. Call me an idiot.

If scuttlebutt does come up with a solution so ugly it must never be shown the light of day without wearing a hat, I will happily receive that PM and act accordingly. Promise I will buy it a really nice hat too.

Thanks, any help or advice always greatly appreciated. And since this is really a thread about U5 I have diverged off and made a more solid thread. Thank you @FuzzyQuills

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/linux-static-linking-technical-question.309761/

and if someone at UT is looking for cool project that need love
    http://reproducible.io/

नमस्ते Namasté oh great ones.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  45. uvavoo

uvavoo

I see that Unity 5 is compatible with Mac OSX 10.8+ minimum. I have a mac pro 1,1 with a new pretty decent video card installed. I can only run mac osx10.7.x (Lion) on this mac. Is there any way of running Unity 5 on older macs. (It ran unity 4.6 really well and I dont wish to upgrade my mac). Anyone any ideas?

46. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

Try it, it probably works anyway.

47. uvavoo

uvavoo

Thanks, downloaded the individual pkg files rather than the installer. Tried the sample projects and they seem ok.

48. Shmakov

Shmakov

There's a critical bug in Unity 5 Web Player builds. Should we wait for 5.1 with a fix or downgrade to 4.6?

49. Griffo

Griffo

What shader would people recommend for mobile, the Unity 5 standard, B2m or Core framework ?

50. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I have noticed that my 2d android game is significantly slower (less FPS) now that I build it with the new Unity 5. Some android phones dropped FPS and some other crash before they start. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.