Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Smoothcraft - smooted Marching cubes with terrain fully editable

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by erick_weil, Feb 3, 2014.

1. erick_weil

erick_weil

Hello people, I am from Brazil,and I am posting this game here because this forum is awesome for feedbacking

Features :
    - Voxel Terrain
    - Voxel procedural trees with fall physics
    - 3 biomes ( snow mountains, desert, florest )
    - chunk realtime terrain loading
    - building and destructing is possible
    - Triplanar texturing
    - Save/ Load suport
    - more are coming...

screenshots
    $biomaneve.jpg
    $biomadeserto.jpg
    $biomahorrivel.jpg
    $smooth.jpg

and the Download of all the Project, yes the project folder(outdated)... : http://www.mediafire.com/download/it80gd6awb7q915/smoothcraft - projeto do unity.rar

Download of the lastest PC player :http://www.mediafire.com/download/l1g02mn2mdo9w1h/smoothcraftv002(3).rar

please comment if this have interested you

all Thanks for this tutorial : http://studentgamedev.blogspot.no/

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Looks fun :)

3. SEG-Veenstra

SEG-Veenstra

Looks really fun! Are you gonna make it multiplayer?online?

4. erick_weil

erick_weil

before I will make this more Playable, with objectives, and survival needs... and the world Infinity, with saving and loading... ,and I need to learn how to make this on-line too... XD

5. jason-fisher

jason-fisher

Fantastic implementation!

It looks like you might be using Instantiate quite a bit, there is probably a performance issue there affecting chunk loading speeds and block destruction? Have you looked into alternatives? Perhaps a pooling system?

We are using a similar Marching Cubes implementation. I have been thinking through some problems and goals for Marching Cubes that might interest you:

- Smoothing normals
    - Slope calculation (adjusting Y of vertices according to surrounding block heights up to N blocks away, similar to a lighting calculation, looking for top-most/peaks and spreading them out)
    - Applying Matching Cubes using each of the slope-calculated vertices as a voxel instead of the block directly
    - Storing density of block vertices in block metadata as floats, this would allow for things like animating waves through a surface or showing a material getting bunched up at the bottom of a hill against a wall
    - LOD to simplify Marching Cubes for distant chunks
    - Greedy optimization (new UV issues?)

Do you have any more recent demos or projects available? I very much enjoy your work.

6. catalys

catalys

Are the biomes random to?

7. Reeceg

Reeceg

Hay I was wondering if the alexstv/student game dev tutorials is really helpful for making this kind of Marching cubes game.