Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

Which version of RTP do you use (check verinfo.txt file in ReliefPack folder) ? Unity version ? Have you update Unity since last time things wored ? Making terrain transparent means global colormap alpha channel gets black. Try to recompile shaders in LOD manager and refresh terrain (RTP/Settings/Refresh All button). How many layers do you use ? Should be 4 or 8.

Tom

2. Dwight_P

Dwight_P

Question, has anyone else has edging issues using the Geometry Blending? I've played around with all the settings, but no matter what I get the off colored edging from a distance. I have the same issues whether the lighting is enabled or disables, and it doesn't matter what Geometry Blending shader is being used either.

At a distance:
    Untitled.png

Close up:
    Untitled2.png

3. ChrisBro

ChrisBro

My rtp version is 3.3c and unity is 5.3.4f1.
    I tried refreshing all, but nothing changed. I use 7 terrain materials if that's what you mean by layers. (in layers tab there are 7 textures.) I updated unity when 5.3.4 came out but i had no problem while i was working on my terrain. Until i opened it up again today. Here are all my settings maybe you can figure out if i did something wrong.

Attached Files:

4. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Ok some screens:

Using deferred with linear.
    Using Max_LOD in LODManager = POM Soft Shadows
    Same for MaxLOD4-7.
    For each texture Normal Map and Heightmap have the same size like detail texture..
    As you can see in screens I am using 8 textures. starting from texture 5 the textures are black.
    Atlasing Texture were created fine as you can see.

Using RTP 3.3c with Unity 5.3.2f1
    Hope this informations help you. This weekend I will try to create a new Terrain with Gaia so see if the problem still remains with new fresh Terrain.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  5. ksam2

ksam2

I'm gonna download the last update but is this fixed on deferred lighting yet? because I remember there wasn't any way to make specular look correct on deferred mode (on forward mode it was good) but in deferred mode there was a heavy specular line on directional light path :(

6. Kapoosta

Kapoosta

Hi there, have someone encountered this problem? Seems to be something is wrong with shader and i don't have any ideas how to fix this

Attached Files:

7. tomaszek

tomaszek

Please give me more info. Do you use snow on the terrain or it's simply a terrain detail layer ? What's the geom blend shader on the cavern. Unity version, RTP version (verinfo.txt file). Forward or deferred. LOD manager setup. Lighting setup. Can you check the same on my exmple scene. There is cavern entrance which doesn't produce this glitch on my side.

It might be your detail heightmaps combined are broken after updating Unity. Try to click refresh under all textures in layers tab of RTP. Then look at Comboned Textures tab if there is everything right and nothing is missing. Installed RTP on U5.3.4f1. It works, but there is a detail you might be not aware of - tessellation that displaces detail heightmaps (option selected in LOD manager in your setup) might work not much good in setup where we render 2 passes. Uncheck displace detail option or use 8 layers mode. Recompile shaders. You need to know that problems might be related to not even number of layers used. You're supposed to use 4 or 8. For terrain that has such number of layers apply RTP omponent then and recompile shaders in LOD manager for selected feature set.

I see your per layer settings got zeroed at some stage ? You can restore defaults (at the bottom of RTP inspector). Or reapply RTP component again. To be safe in case of such situations you might "backup" your settings using RTP preset functionality.

RTP3.3 uses Unity lighing pipeline. Now things look the same in forward and in deferred.

What's your RTP version (verinfo.txt file) ? Black artifacts are placed only on cliffs and I believe I fixed this issue already. Anyway - if you're on RTP3.3c give me your LOD manager setup and number of layers used on terrain.

Tom

ksam2 likes this.
  8. Gottferd

Gottferd

what about my issue?
    Don't you have any idea where this problem come from? :(

9. tomaszek

tomaszek

Your issue is so special :). I wonder if shader for deferred is actually exported for build. Do a quick test. Simply screw up the shader. Open it and put return 0 at the end. Everything will turn black. Then make a build and check if the RTP deferred lighting shader is still there (giving black output).

Tom

10. tomaszek

tomaszek

You might also noticed this - U5.4.0B10 release notes - I feel really famous having my package in "Known issues" section of this beta, but it's actually not true. I've just installed RTP with this Unity version and things seems to work. Anyway as Aras said - 3 texture samplers got saved on DX11. Now we can compile a lot of features turned on in RTP. Example scene works.

Tom

montyfi likes this.
  11. ksam2

ksam2

Sorry but you didn't understand what I said, please look at below pics.

in this pic everything looks normal for me and there in no foolish specular, but in the second pic after I change directional light path heavy specular appears on directional light path.

It doesn't happen on forward mode! only on deferred render mode ...

I've done all things on shader but can't remove this heavy specular direction

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

In deferred (new deferred, not prepass legacy one) you need to do 2 things. Use script on directional light that provides RTP shader with global parameter - light directionfor this light. In Unity graphics settings use dedicated RTP deferred shader (included iknin RTP shaders subfolder). If this is still an issue - look here for more detailed discusion about specularity mode in Unity:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...-v3-on-assetstore.206516/page-89#post-2504201

RTP 3.3c is not supposed to use GGX anymore. By default it's normalized plinn-phog which produces a lot darker visibility specular term. What's you RTP version ? (verinfo.txt file).

In RTP3.3c look at my example terrain scene. There is a new script attached to terrain that gives control over specularity when layer is set to metalness=0 (and roughness=0).

If it still doesn't help I'd need more info about your setup.

Tom

ksam2 likes this.
  13. ksam2

ksam2

14. Dwight_P

Dwight_P

Unity: 5.3.2f1
    RTP: 3.3c
    Snow Design: Texture with bumpmap with no use of the snow shader.

Lighting:
    Lighting.png

Shader (Basic shown, but issues persist with ALL RTP Geo Blending shaders):
    shader.png

LOD (Default):
    LOD.png

I've yet to check the demo, and will do that when I have more time.

15. tomaszek

tomaszek

You can not have separate lighting for objects rendered in deferred. They use the same lighting pipeline. Simply Unity GGX implementation has very strong visibility term. A lot of people complained about terrain being "shiny". So I switched for blinn-phong with adjustable dielectric color (can be black then we have absolutely no specularity seen). In forward we can have it separately. In deferred - no, unless you decide to make your terrain shader forward only (by excluding deferred pass - #pragma surface .....exclude_path:deferred). This is how Unity works and does lighting. It has nothing to do with RTP.

you can switch Internal-DeferredShading_UBER to blin-phong (set ggx 0 inside shader code) and select PBS2 lighting model. Then every object in scene (not only terrain) will be lit the same blinn-phong way.

Tom

ksam2 likes this.
  16. Freddy888

Freddy888

It's been a while since I played with this, but previously I was able to make details in things like rock jump out. I'm guessing this is the extrude setting but it's greyed out. Superdetail and Vertical Map are also greyed out. How to I gain access to those please ?

Also, is there are way to make distant surfaces look less smooth and more bumpy etc ?

Thanks if anyone can help point me in the right direction.

17. Freddy888

Freddy888

Typical, just found how to activate them but extrude is doing nothing to the texture.

18. Freddy888

Freddy888

Ah normal map missing ! Got it.

19. kilju

kilju

hello Tom. i have same problem. i try to use uber and rtp same time
    i cant seem to find ggx from shaders codes and dont know where to find PBS2 lighting model. can you be little bit more specific what i should do?

thank you

-Toni

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  20. Kapoosta

Kapoosta

Unity: 5.3.2.f1
    RTP: 3.3c

4 layers used, attached images below

and 1 more thing, i have solid black shadows

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  21. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Thanks tom. I just created the Terrain from scratch and added RTP Component again. After that everything was working fine. Right now I need a little bit more fine tuning for UV Blend, Far Distant Blend and Global Maps because the terrain does not look so great. Will post some screens the next days I think perhaps someone can give some tips and tricks.
    A little question: If you use RTP and UBER together in a Scene how do you handle the Custom Deferred Shader Script? Is it enough to use the RTP one for POM with Soft Shadow? Because I don't see how to add both scripts (Deferred Script fpr UBER and RTP).

Thanks a gain!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  22. tomaszek

tomaszek

Both scripts do the same. We need only one script on one directional light is supposed to cast POM self-shadows (where used).

In RTP look at ReplacementPBSLighting.cginc

there is such line:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #define UNITY_BRDF_PBS BRDF2_Unity_PBS

which turns off GGX spec model (it's available only in BRDF1_Unity_PBS function).

In UBER it is not replaced, so GGX is used by default. RTP has deferred lighting shader narrowed to POM self-shadowing only. UBER has it all.

When UBER and RTP are installed together you should use UBER's deferred shader in graphics settings.

To force UBER to use BRDF2 model like in RTP, open UBER_PBSLighting.cginc and add above #define line code right after #includes at the top of file. Recompile shaders.

Remember RTP has new RTP_TintDielectricColor.cs available that allows to define specular color of dielectrics (metalness=0) objects when dealing with metallic setup. UBER has both - metallic and specular where you can explicitly set spec color to black if you don't like any specularity for completely rough objects. RTP terrain shader uses metallic setup only. So - attach the mentioned script anywhere (it affects objects globally in scene) and adjust dielectric tint color. On example terrain scene this script is attached to terrain object.

Tom

23. tomaszek

tomaszek

Another idea - make debug/development build which will throw you exceptions in "game view" of built executable. Maybe light direction script helper throws something ? It was once a case for me, had null exception and shader parameter was never set thus self shadows were missing in build.

24. tomaszek

tomaszek

Now I see - your scene has missing ambient lighting ? Can you check this with other type of objects (non RTP) ? Your setup is incomplete, do you use triplanar ? It's forward or deferred. Do how many light do you have in the scene ?

Tom

25. Kapoosta

Kapoosta

Hi, so, i've recompiled lighting and it fixed my shadows, but still on cliffs same problem

Ambient lighting - on
    No triplanar
    Forward
    1 Directional Light

i've attached 2 images RTP terrain and same terrain without RTP

Attached Files:

26. Kapoosta

Kapoosta

Yeah and 1 more thing, how can i use Vertical texture, if i have 4 layers. When i try to apply it, after recompilation RTP gives me an error, that i use 5 aux textures..Should i use 3 layers as terrain ground textures and 4th as vertical? or how does it work?

27. tomaszek

tomaszek

How does your global normalmap looks like ? Is it setup right ? For vertical texture - you try using too many textures in shader which might not compile (you can try recompile anyway - if it doesn't work terrain will simply turn pink). You could enable atlased detail color in LOD manager or disable snow and glitter temporarily (they use 1 texture) to see.

Tom

28. Kapoosta

Kapoosta

Hm, at first there was no global normal map, i've added it, and it fixed my problem, but after it texture tiling became more visible and global perlin less visible and whole terrain brightnes shifted to white...Then i disabled Global normal map..aand it still works ^^ i don't know what to say ^^

btw, should i always use global normal map?

Attached Files:

29. Gottferd

Gottferd

Hi Tom.
    I did the return 0 test and the script seems to be export to the build.
    Isn't it strange that only the terrain turn black?

30. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes, strange. But other materials might be rendered in forward (even if camera renders in deferred). For example all transparent objects are forward only.

Check the other idea I gave you today.

Tom

31. tomaszek

tomaszek

Global normalmap is optional. Use it when you actually have right normalmap available (from WorldMachine or TerrainComposer). More - globalnormalmap requires one texture which you now can use for vertical texture...

Tom

32. Gottferd

Gottferd

Sorry, I didn't see you replied
    I will test that.

Thanks

33. Freddy888

Freddy888

Hey Tom, I accidentally asked this question in your other product thread, it should have been this one.

On the terrain, how can I make distant terrain look bumpy and rough instead of smooth and flat ?

Thank you :)

34. tomaszek

tomaszek

You can ask UV blended textures to use normalmaps. It can be set in LOD manager. It establises normals when UV blend replacement slider per layer is set higher. Use perlin normal for this purpose as well.

Tom

Freddy888 likes this.
  35. Freddy888

Freddy888

Thanks Tom. I'll try that.

36. Nition

Nition

Unity 4.7 and RTP 3.2d - I switched to 8 layers mode and my terrain is distinctly less sharp now.

The only difference here is ticking or unticking "8 layers in first pass" in _RTP_LODmanager, or I can get the same change by commenting or uncommenting just the _4LAYERS define in RTP_base:

Any idea what I might have done to cause that (or is 8 layers mode just less sharp by necessity?)?

I'm basically just seeing what I can do to cut down on the big Terrain.Heightmap.RenderStep3 CPU drain. I've tried changing a bunch of other settings but the blurryness remains as long as 8 layers mode is on.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  37. tomaszek

tomaszek

8 layers mode use color atlas to save 3 textures in shader. For 8 layers we need 2 instead of 8 which would make it impossible to render in one pass. Sampled atlases modes don't benefit from aniso - that's the issue.

Tom

RonnyDance likes this.
  38. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

I also wondered why starting from 5+ layers the detail of the textures was not so sharp for near /middle distance. So this would be one disadvantage when using 8 layers I see. Hmmm...

39. ittinop

ittinop

Hi Tom,

I noticed that your terrain normalize splat automatically.
    I want to use brightness adjustment to make terrain look more random, but I cannot make splat value go beyond 1.
    Could you help tell me where I can stop this splat normalization in the shader?
    Or recommend alternative solution?

Best,
    Ittinop

40. tomaszek

tomaszek

You can't easily turn it off, because normalization behavior is associated with heightblending. For this purpose use global colormap with global brightness adjustement (RTP?Settings/Main) instead.

Tom

41. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'd probably need more data. Still the question is it forward or deferred lighting path ? (look at camera or project player settings).How it's lit ? Single directional light ? Do you have fog enabled ?

Tom

42. Nition

Nition

Thanks Tom. Is it actually not possible to do anisotropic filtering on the atlased textures, or is the shader just getting too complex at that point? I'm not using specularity or lightmaps - would be cool if I could trade that to get aniso back.

43. tomaszek

tomaszek

To effectively sample atlas I need to use tex2Dlod functions instead of tex2D which gives aniso. I hope when U5.4 get arrays and textures arrays worked out better new RTP version will appear at some point. It will benefit a lot (more layers rendered with better performance).

Tom

44. tomaszek

tomaszek

I put RTP3.3d on my server (also briefly checked against U5.4.0.b10 - examples work):

http://www.stobierski.pl/unity/RTPUpdate.php

Make sure all z01-z08 and zip file are downloaded when extracting (sometimes download breaks in the middle).

zip is 22 576 432 bytes
    z01-z08 are 31 457 280 bytes

Tom

RonnyDance likes this.
  45. ittinop

ittinop

Thank you very much Tom, I will check that out.

46. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

This was fast, Tom! Does this mean no blurry layers with 8 Layers and Unity 5.4 anymore? Looking forward to this update!

47. tomaszek

tomaszek

You're too demanding... :). RTP3.3d means - bugs fixed on RTP3.3c rather than new features. If atlas sampling with aniso was so easy I'd do it 1-2 years ago probably.

Tom

48. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hehe sorry. Just thought the issue would be adressed because of the current 8layer Unity beta discussion some post above, now that Unity 5.4 beta is out. I am fully aware that this is not an easy task. As you can see I was surprised by your new uploaded test version also.

49. HelpMe_Please

HelpMe_Please

Hello there
    i really would like to buy your shader, the problem is that i have a bout 800 Materials in my game. Will i have to manually change every single material to your new shader or is there any automatic way?
    Also, is the performance better than the normal unity standard shader?
    Thank you

50. tomaszek

tomaszek

This is probably UBEr related question ? You can select all of your 800 materials in inspector and change shader used to UBER core one probably. As UBER shader provides a lot more features you won't avoid tweaking materials manually to some extent.

Tom