Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

It is Unity feature. In forward RTP3.3c (check your verinfo.txt file in ReliefPack folder first !) should not produce shine. Look at my example scene and script attached to the terrain. using this you can dial don dielectric color to pure black. In deferred you need to use my lightin shader to remove sheen (it will also remove it from all opaque objects in scene then).

Tom

2. Leetha

Leetha

It's right all my substance raw normal maps get this color? I tried a lot of sbsar from database, and normal map get this pink/red aspect in all files. Thanks.

Attached Files:

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

Look at my posts above. It's related to Unity lighting PBR model.

Tom

4. tomaszek

tomaszek

For editor it might be that it works because not all variants are used. For example if you don't use lightmaps editor compiles only shader variants w/o lighmapping (which doesn't require additional texture samplers). For build Unity compiles all variants (forward/deferred/lightmaps/shadows). You can try to use no lightmaps checkbox when compiling shader in LOD manager. It might help. Or reduce RTP features used that need textures.

Tom

5. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP uses basemap distance for differentt thing. In RTP3.2 it's supposed to be always set to zero and RTP uses only far shader to make sure everything is rendered by one shader (no firstPass AddPass used) - no matter how many layers (4 or 8) you've got.. Tiling is set the same for all detail textures. Tiling set in Unity terrain engine is not used. Refer to my pdf documentation. It is described there.

Tom

6. tomaszek

tomaszek

You would need to give me target platform and LOD manager + your scene setup and I can tell anything then. Problem with "GPU program creation error" I saw only trying to build for openGL on specific hardware.

7. tomaszek

tomaszek

Related to Unity version. Newer RTP is supposed to never throw error like this. You can either try to manually tweak the script that makes the problem (changing bindings to public - depending on Unity version). But I would recommend going for newest RTP instead (RTP3.3c is available on U5.3.2 which solved most problems in U5.3 release branch).

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

On Unity 4.7 you don't have RTP3.3. AssetStore gave you old RTP version. Redefinitions is not used any longer in newest RTP, but it's also only for U5 (U5.3.1 or U5.3.2 exactly). Here is RTP3.2 pdf doc which describes the problem (look at my "working modes video as well on YT -
    - I did it for Unity4 and RTP3.2 - when you use materials checkbox you make sure terrains can work independent for the price of performance):

http://www.stobierski.pl/unity/RTP32.pdf

Tom

9. tomaszek

tomaszek

It's on Unity terrain engine side - sorry.

Tom

10. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'm wondering if this has something to do with substance texture output. Are they marked as "bumpmaps" I see no reason to show them weird way in RTP as I simply show the texture. But what you see in RTP normalmap slot is not that much problem as this texture is actually not used. I combine normalmaps in pairs and store them as RGBA (might be compressed to DXT5 at cost of decreased quality). What Unity uses in most cases is storing normalmaps as DXTnm. They store values in g,a color channels. If you use RTP to publish for different platforms you might take this into account. If you have problems with substances you can always try to export textures manually (using small gearbox icon in substance component - export bitmaps). And use resultant textures in RTP. RTP doesn't use substances directly, it only helps grabbing quickersubstance textures.

Tom

11. tomaszek

tomaszek

Distingo is shader - like RTP, but you can't use them concurrently to render terrain. But which feature Distingo has that RTP doesn't which you'd like ? "UVblend" textures is very core RTP feature available from RTP beginning. I might consider improving it a bit though if it would be necessary for users.

Tom

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

Look at this:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...-v3-on-assetstore.206516/page-90#post-2534108

13. tomaszek

tomaszek

Changing scenes helps ? Can you describe it more ? Maybe it's simply kind of refresh issue ? Or simply saving preset at runtime doesn't mean that asset file with preset is actually saved to disk - it might need kind of "flush" that happens when you changes scene. Try to use save project from unity file menu and restore preset. Saving project should flush everything (prefabs, etc.).

Tom

malkere likes this.
  14. tomaszek

tomaszek

Can you give me exact RTp version used (look at verinfo.txt file in ReliefPack folder). The error might be result of changing number of unity terrain layers after RTP is attached. Try to make it "from scratch". Provide terrain with your 4 layers. Then attach RTP, then try to build coverage using RTP's built-in editor.

Tom

15. docsavage

docsavage

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  16. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP can use similar technique - full PBR and up to 4 layers used on any mesh. You use vertex painters (there are a few 3rd party good ones, even free on assetstore) to steer converage. It uses heightblending. wetness you can have as separate "layers" that's applied on all layers concurrently, the same for snow. Flowmaps - you can use them on RTP shaders (up to 2 layers). So - the answer is - if you already have RTP - try to look around existing stuff (a lot of it is still uncovered by plenty of users !!!). If you miss something - look further for additional solutions. That's my (biased) point of view.

Look for RTP3.3c (available for U5.3.2). It has simplifications, improvements and Unity PBR available out of the box.

Tom

17. docsavage

docsavage

So that's a sort of yes! RTP is a treasure stove of stuff. You need to do some more demonstrations of what's possible with it.

Thanks

doc

18. MOSTY

MOSTY

I think i will buy this asset!

malkere likes this.
  19. Nition

Nition

Ah sorry, I just looked at the version number on the Asset Store rather than in the import itself. Switching to using materials has indeed made both scenes work correctly at once - thanks for your help! I think performance-wise it'll be OK in my case - I'm using no more than three terrains together and I'll remove the "refreshing issue" shader fix in release builds.

I know you've got a big backlog of questions to answer here but I haven't solved the other question I posted at this top of this page: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...-v3-on-assetstore.206516/page-90#post-2529485
    It's not too bad in practice though so I could live with it as-is; when I'm not using exaggerated values like in the example screenshots it's a fairly subtle issue. I realise I can also solve it by not lightmapping but I'd rather keep the baked lighting in my particular case.

20. tomaszek

tomaszek

I couldn't find effective method to equalize normals for ,litghmapped and non-lightmapped parts in Unity4. In Unity5 dual-lightmaps are obsolete (as we can have full directional ones).

Tom

21. aler_buffon

aler_buffon

Hi Tom, in our project we use plugin TimeOfDay, but TOD Scattering not correct work with RTP GeomBlend shaders http://take.ms/NAI0V . How i can pass this problem?

22. syscrusher

syscrusher

23. Nition

Nition

All good, thanks for clarifying that there's no easy fix for that at least. I'll be upgrading to Unity 5 eventually.

24. tomaszek

tomaszek

What's the RTP version used (look at verinfo.txt file ReliefPack folder) ? The question is - why only one stone has issues while other (which is also geom blended) works fine ?

Tom

25. aler_buffon

aler_buffon

Version is RTP3.2i .No, all objects with GeomBlend shaders have problems witch TimeOfDay AtmosphericScaterring script
    http://take.ms/fgyd3
    http://take.ms/N2VpZ

It is possible to resolve this issue?

26. tomaszek

tomaszek

The "bridge" model at the background is also geom blend one (they are rendered in forward because they are transparent ones placed on the top of underlying "terrain like base" - children objhects).

I would need to ask a friend to check it, I don't have ToD license. Will try to get back to you with solution.

Tom

27. topofsteel

topofsteel

I am using RTP3.3c. I am using a mesh so I don't have the option of adding the materials ahead of time. And I don't see a way of adding the '_RTP_LODmanager' ahead of time either. I get prompted to have it created when I add the first texture to the first layer. However, I do get 4 errors about empty textures when assigning the RTP component to my mesh. Please advise, thank you for your time.

array-index_02.png

28. tomaszek

tomaszek

Just a quick thought - on RTP3.2 you could try to go to geom blend shader vcode and comment out Fallback "Diffuse" line at the end. Then save to recompile shader. This would also remove black border around edges in deferred. Tell me if this (by any chance) solved ToD issue as well.

Tom

29. tomaszek

tomaszek

I remember I have your skype contact (if you haven't changed it meantime). Could you catch me for screenshare session. That would be much quicker to find the problem in your context rather than me trying to reproduce your issue.

Tom

30. Holy-Manfred

Holy-Manfred

Great package! Getting excellent results with RTP. It's worth every cent.
    However there is one issue I just can not get figured out. The terrain looks fine in editor but when I build my game and play it in standalone mode the terrain looks like ass (see attached screenshot)

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong here?
    editor_build.jpg

31. tomaszek

tomaszek

What is your target platform. Looks like fallback shader used in build. Giove me also Unity version and RTP version (taken from verinfo.txt file placed in ReliefPack folder).

Tom

32. aler_buffon

aler_buffon

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

Just chekced ToD with RTP 3.3c:

ToD_vs_RTP.jpg

So, generaly it should work. Maybe you could consider upgrading RTP (and Unity, because 3.3c works on Unity 5.3.2f1+)

ATB, Tom

34. dj_Ruska

dj_Ruska

Hey all.

We also feel that RTP brings indie games to AAA level, and admire it.

But here is the problem: Global Color Blending does not work.
    http://prntscr.com/ab3bpm
    Setting parameters Near blend, Mid blend, Far blend = 1 didn’t affect colors of terrain.
    Previously read on forum that there was such problem with Terrain Composer.
    I also use it on this scene, so I made a test:
    1) No TC, just Unity terrain (using height map) + RTP: works OK
    2) TC + RTP with only 1 chunk: works OK
    http://prntscr.com/ab3c5k
    3) But TC + RTP with only 2x2 chunks: does not OK
    Near blend, Mid blend, Far blend affect only brightness, not color:
    http://prntscr.com/ab3cgq
    I’ve checked Layers/Global colormap =1:
    http://prntscr.com/ab3co7
    Tried to switch off Global color blend multiplicative in _RTP_LODmanager:
    http://prntscr.com/ab3cte
    It turned terrain to white:
    http://prntscr.com/ab3czy
    If I set Near blend, Mid blend, Far blend = 0, then I get terrain of the same color as Detail Map:
    http://prntscr.com/ab3dbg
    It feels like RTP-3.3 senses Global Color Map in a strange way: does not see a color. Here is Color Map settings:
    http://prntscr.com/ab3dpz
    Does not work with Terrain Composer. Terrain’s material in Unity settings:
    http://prntscr.com/ab3e1e
    It all was done in new project with RTP и TC.
    Any help will be highly appreciated.

P.S. We purchased and downloaded RTP-3.3.с, but in verinfo.txt it says “RTP 3.3.b”
    http://prntscr.com/ab3el8

P.P.S. Also we have PBR material strongly darkened when RTP-3.3 (or 3.2) switches on:
    http://prntscr.com/ab3f4u
    Left screen: RTP works (because it’s only 1 chunk) – tank darkened;
    Right screen: RTP does not work correctly (4 chunks) – tank looks as designed.

35. Holy-Manfred

Holy-Manfred

We re using Unity 5.3.3f1 with RTP 3.3b. I am trying to build for Windows x86_64.

Just as an FYI: The terrain, and _RTP_LODmanager object are all in one prefab which is loaded in during run time. Not sure if that has anything to do with it though, since it works well in editor.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  36. docsavage

docsavage

TOD seems to go very well with RTP.

37. tomaszek

tomaszek

What I foun d today is bad bug... Open ReliefTerrain.cs and find this lines 334-340:

Code (csharp):
    2.     //if (!terrainComp || globalSettingsHolder.numTiles<=1 || mat) {
    3.        globalSettingsHolder.SetShaderParam("_ColorMapGlobal", ColorGlobal);
    4.        globalSettingsHolder.SetShaderParam("_NormalMapGlobal", NormalGlobal);
    5.        globalSettingsHolder.SetShaderParam("_TreesMapGlobal", TreesGlobal);
    6.        globalSettingsHolder.SetShaderParam("_AmbientEmissiveMapGlobal", AmbientEmissiveMap);
    7.        globalSettingsHolder.SetShaderParam("_BumpMapGlobal", BumpGlobalCombined);    
    8.      //}
    What I did is you need to comment out first (//if) and last (//}) line. Body of this cconditional code should be always called in new RTP version. Sorry for confusion. I will include the fix in 3.3d

ATB, Tom

38. tomaszek

tomaszek

It might be the reason RTP shader doesn't get included in build. Because material used on terrain is set by RTP script and it's scene object. So - when you make a preaf reference to this material is lost. RTP can redo it as soon as prefab appears, but it uses shader that is not available in build. So, the idea is to make manually a material, apply ReliefTerrain-FirstPass.shader. Then attach this material to terrain - in Unity terrain settings tab you've got terrain material type (set to custom) and slot for material. Then make sure all textures used by RTP are saved before you make a prefab. This would also cause broken references otherwise.

Tom

syscrusher likes this.
  39. dj_Ruska

dj_Ruska

Yes, that helped, Tom.
    Our whole team is grateful!
    001.jpg

kaarme and docsavage like this.
  40. Holy-Manfred

Holy-Manfred

Makes sense! Fixed now and looking pretty in standalone mode. Thanks!

41. MornFall

MornFall

Hi Tom,

Thanks for this amazing package !
    I am still trying to wrap my head around everything it has to offer, and more specifically, how to set up my height map properly...
    I have a simple question that i could not find the answer in the manual :

What is the alpha layer of the height map being used for ?

42. tomaszek

tomaszek

For height blending and parallax effects. Alpha channel of detail heightmap is the only channel actually used - it gets combined in quads (for layers 0-3 and 4-7 depending on number of terrain layers used) to 1-2 RGBA textures.

Tom

43. MornFall

MornFall

Thanks Tom,

I spent some time tweaking my height maps without changing their alpha... haha..

Is there any way to separate the heightblending feature from the Intensity of the parallax effect ? I found that having well defined heightmaps gives an awesome result in heightblending, but then the intensity is too much on the POM.

As in : using the heightmap for the blending, and the alpha for the POM intensity ?

44. tomaszek

tomaszek

We don't have separate maps for blending and POM. Simply decrease POM height in RTP script/Settings/Parallax subtab.

Tom

45. kaarme

kaarme

Hi, I can't seem to change color maps. It stays always the same no matter what I do.

46. tomaszek

tomaszek

47. kaarme

kaarme

Thanks. Maybe you should add a bug list with solutions?

48. tomaszek

tomaszek

This is the only one critical. I will wait a few days, maybe something serious will appear and then will post RTP3.3d with fixes. Anyway I'm trying to react ASAP on forum when sobedy ask about it (like in 5 minutes in optimistic case :) )

Tom

Tinjaw likes this.
  49. kaarme

kaarme

Hey, I don't know if you can help with this but the unity atmospheric scattering doesn't work with terrains. Is there a way to make it work normally? Does rtp have something that I can use?

50. Alex3333

Alex3333

Good afternoon. After compiling the project will see the following error. How to fix them? I did wrong?

Attached Files: