Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] GridEditor2D - A new innovative and flexible level editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by burnner, Apr 18, 2015.

1. burnner

burnner

With GridEditor2D you can efficiently create grid / tile based games that incorperate Prefabs, Sprites, and Sprite Sheets.

Asset Store Link

Features:

- Supports Sprites, Prefabs, and Sprite Sheets!
    - Manage Sprites and Prefabs in different lists.
    - Collider Optimization.
    - Supports multiple Sprite Sheets.
    - Easy to use.
    - Edit directly in scene view.
    - Works with the native 2D system.
    - No Scripts included in the build.
    - Layer Management.
    - Alpha of objects can be configured.
    - Low drawcalls with tile sheets.
    - Objects can be flipped.
    - Mobile friendly.
    - Full source code included.

Buy now!

Video Tutorial | Manual | Demo Scene | Demo Scene 2

SecurePlayerPrefs

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    jhocking likes this.
  2. burnner

burnner

Reserved

3. dre788

dre788

This is nice, when can we expect it?

4. burnner

burnner

I actually submited it on Tuesday. So it's up to the unity asset store team ;)

5. burnner

burnner

It has finally been accepted!

6. burnner

burnner

Planned features:
    • rename layers
    • more hotkeys
    • name gameobjects
    • more brushes?

You can suggest new features in this thread!

7. wwenthin

wwenthin

Burnner,

I picked this up in the reddit thread and it is awesome so I had to buy it to make a statement that assets like this are needed.

I have one feature that I would love to see. Can you scale the sprite to match the grid size? Right now I am using a 3x3 grid and have to rescale everything to 9.5x9.5 for some reason. I have tried using the prefabs but I would prefer to just use the sprites themselves. I have the entire Kenney pack (yet another awesome asset) and would like to have the sprite scale to my grid size.

Thanks again for another great asset.

burnner likes this.
  8. burnner

burnner

Hi, Thanks! I can add the scale to grid option I guess.

9. wwenthin

wwenthin

Awesome!

10. burnner

burnner

The new update will contain the following new features:
    • Lock and unlock layer through the inspector
    • Scale to grid
    • Rename / Name GameObjects
    • New Hotkey for cycling through prefabs and sprites
    • Ability to change the sorting layer of a layer through the inspector
    • new menu layout
    The update is nearly done, but you can still suggest new features :)

11. burnner

burnner

Quick screenshots, the last chance to bring your feature in the next update :)

The editor can now be drawn directly into the sceneview. Might be usefull for some of you!

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  12. burnner

burnner

Just submited grideditor2d V.1.1 to the asset store. Should be available soon!

13. burnner

burnner

Version 1.1 is now available on the asset store!

I'm also working on a new tool for GridEditor2D. With the Sprite Maker you can easily
    create prefabs from tilesets etc.

14. pep_dj

pep_dj

This is awesome! I've a question: Can I use layers, and move them independently, for creating parallax backgrounds?

15. burnner

burnner

Sure no problem, a layer is just a transform with the gameobjects in it and you can easily move it per script

pep_dj likes this.
  16. burnner

burnner

Oh and the Sprite Maker tool is done now! I will soon submit the update to the asset store :)
    With the sprite maker you can easily paint prefabs from sprites and spritesheets directly in unity and save them as regularsprites. In the screenshot I made that little tree with the spritesheet shown below.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    pep_dj likes this.
  17. burnner

burnner

1.15 is now live on the asset store

18. pep_dj

pep_dj

Hi! I was wondering if you can add two great features. I have been worked with ImpactJS editor for a long time (Weltmeister), and it has 2 features I love:

1. - In Weltmeister there is a property called "distance" for each layer. If you set 1 for one layer, and 2 for another, last moves at half speed than layer with distance "1". So it's a great way to create parallax effect without coding.

2. - Every map in Weltmeister has a physics layer, so you can select a physics tile for each tile. So it's very easy to add slopes and, what I like most: one way platforms.

Are you interested in adding these features to GridEditor2D? I think it would be great!

19. burnner

burnner

Hi
    I am not sure if I have understand your requests.

1. There is actually no parallax scrolling script or any moving script included in my Editor and I am not sure if this belongs into a level editor. But you can easily implement other scripts like this https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/25w41d/parallax2d_a_free_open_source_unity_parallax/

2. What is a physics layer? Do you mean this http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LayerBasedCollision.html ? This is actually already implemented. It's the layer field under the tag field :) there you can adjust the layer for each tile.

Ben-BearFish likes this.
  20. pep_dj

pep_dj

1. Although parallax scrolling is not a characteristic of a level editor, it's very useful. Like this one: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/28646

2. Sorry for my bad explanation (and my bad English). What I wanted to have is to create one way platforms with the editor, like this one: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/34147 (this one has parallax effect too).

21. burnner

burnner

1. I will see what I can do, but I'm not sure how because I do not know how to implement this without loosing the flexibility of the editor since paralax scrolling has to do with the camera.

2. You mean this http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-PlatformEffector2D.html ? Ok I can implement this without problems I guess. Its on my to do list now. But you can already use it now, since each tile is a gameobject you can add the platformeffector manualy.

22. pep_dj

pep_dj

I agree that adding parallax scrolling has to do with the camera, and maybe will be better to implement it in my camera rather to have to use a camera provided in the plugin. It will be more flexible.

Thanks ;)

23. burnner

burnner

For adding the Platform Effector 2D right now: Deactivate the editor, unlock the layer, click on the gameobject you want to change and add the Platform Effector 2D in the inspector. This will be implemented in the next update, but I do not know when the next update is ready (I want to add a few more features and not only one, but I'm not sure which ones yet)

pep_dj likes this.
  24. pep_dj

pep_dj

I'll use that way until next release. Thanks! :)

25. burnner

burnner

Oh and please rate the asset on the asset store, that helps a lot! More users more feature request, etc.

pep_dj likes this.
  26. burnner

burnner

Current todo list for the next update:
    • Collider as a dropdown menu and also add circle collider 2d
    • Add Platform Effector 2D support
    • maybe your feature? Just write it here in the forum and maybe I will choose you!

pep_dj likes this.
  27. burnner

burnner

I have this month and next month important exams at my university. I'm not sure when I can provide this features.

pep_dj likes this.
  28. pep_dj

pep_dj

Don't worry. Good luck for your exams!

29. burnner

burnner

Thanks!

@All
    Thanks for the 19 sales, but please don't forget to rate the asset, that would help a lot!

30. Fronne

Fronne

Hi Burnner,
    I just purchased GridEditor2D but miss an important feature. I want to align the grid to the camera viewport (set an origin), an adjustable x, y offset will do just fine for now. I also want to be able to set the width, hight and origin of the grid because I don't like to see the grid everywhere, just where I want to see it...
    Also a secondary grid would be great...
    If you can do this I will submit a five star review, without these options it will be a 3 star rating maximum...

Cheers,
    Franco Palmieri

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  31. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@burnner I had a couple questions for you. Many of the 2D tile editors I've worked with have a rotate tile 90 degrees clockwise and rotate tile 90 degrees counterclockwise option. Do you have something like that?

Also, based on the video I wasn't quite sure how the colliders work. Could we make non-square tiles, such as ramps, or circular objects? Do the colliders automatically match up to the tiles? Can we edit the tile colliders to be custom? Also, it be nice if we could somehow edit the collider so it applies to all tiles of that type in the map.

Finally, one thing I thought that might make this tool more productive is keyboard shortcuts. Either custom, or predefined. The plugin looks like it's off to a great start so far.

32. burnner

burnner

Hi, I will put this things on my todo list for the next update that will come in august!

For the rotation: There is a build in flip vertically and flip horizontaly, I think that this is what you are looking for.

Colliders
    At the moment you can use box and polycon colliders but ach tile is a gameobject, so you can manually apply the colliders you want. In the next update every 2d collider will be supported. The colliderbuilder will only snap box colliders together. The editor just adds the selected collider to the gameobject.
    Your feature with apply to all tiles of that type sounds nice.

Shortcuts are actually build in, you can find the list here in the manual: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QwIoZ8N_BU9oJ1qCEJASHn203qJ6fcbKWEwLC53pAqc/edit#

This is the current todolist:
    • Collider as a dropdown menu supporting all 2d colliders
    • Add Platform Effector 2D support
    • A secondary grid
    • Grid offset
    • maybe the feature with the apply collider to the tile type as you suggested

But as I said I am on my finals at the moment, so the next update will come in august.

33. Fronne

Fronne

Good Luck with your finals, I'm pretty sure you get some great results...

Cheers

34. sirsotisix

sirsotisix

Hi , I just bought this extension and have the following problem:

I have spaces between the tiles...

I set the grid and snap all to the grid size. But on edit and play mode i see this space between the pictures.

Can help me please!!!

Attached Files:

35. dyulax

dyulax

sirsotisix likes this.
  36. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@sirsotisix & @ @dyulax What are your sprite/texture import settings? What texture are you using for your spritesheet? This is usually caused by a poorly laid out spritesheet or texture. It might help to take a screenshot and share.

burnner likes this.
  37. burnner

burnner

38. dyulax

dyulax

@Ben BearFish I was testing with GridEditor example spritesheets.

@burnner turning off antialising works when the camera is still, but not when it's moving. I will try what they suggest in that thread. Thanks!

39. burnner

burnner

40. burnner

burnner

41. Guacamolay

Guacamolay

I bought this not to long ago and it's perfect for what I need but I just have one problem, when I dock the editor beside the inspector and play the game, when I return to the editing mode the GridEditor2D window has disappeared and "Failed to Load".

These are my steps:
    Make some changes to the tile map
    Play the game in the maximised window setting
    Stop the game
    The tab has failed to load and the error message says "EditorWindow could not be loaded because the script is not found in the project"

Any ideas on how I could prevent this? It happens every time unfortunately

42. burnner

burnner

That is actually a wanted behavior, GridEditor2D comes with a script that will remove any unecessary scripts from your build so no GridEditor2D script or object will be included in your final build. Anyway this script does also work when you test the game in the editor. After exiting the play mode the window should be back. Anyway you can prevent this by delete the script "EditorPostProcessor.cs" in the Editor folder, but then the grideditor2d helper scripts,etc. won't be excluded from the build.

43. Guacamolay

Guacamolay

I see! Thanks

44. burnner

burnner

Oh don't delete that script file, just comment it out. So you can still use it when you want to build your project!

45. K1kk0z90_Unity

K1kk0z90_Unity

Hi!
    I've just bought this asset. Is there a way to select multiple tiles to set a property for all of them? For example, I've placed tens of tiles with the "Optimize colliders" option off, and I would like to turn it on for all of them.
    Thank you in advance! :)

46. burnner

burnner

Nope. But sounds like a good feature for an update.

K1kk0z90_Unity likes this.
  47. K1kk0z90_Unity

K1kk0z90_Unity

Thank you for your answer!
    I'm looking forward to an update then. :)

48. burnner

burnner

I will start working on it again next week :)

49. shebangers

shebangers

@sirsotisix & @dyulax I recently started using Unity and was getting the same time of bleed errors. After a lot of research and trial and error the way to correct this is to use a program like TexturePacker (or similar) that offers an extrude functionality.

You can see this thread for more information: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tile-map-tearing-problems.225777/

Basically though if you import your tiles in to TexturePacker, set extrude to 1px with 2px padding, and then import in to Unity (I use the TexturePacker Unity import plugin) you will no longer have bleed issues on your tiles. It's worked for me.

As far as features I'd love to see something like, right click to delete. Rotorz has something like that and it works supper well rather than having to click on a delete button to change the mode. Also an easier way to batch change tiles would be great, maybe a select mode that makes it easy to select batches of tiles to change/delete?

50. shebangers

shebangers

Is it just me or will this not import a spritesheet if it's not a .png? I was testing out Sprite Packer (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/12976) and it exports as .bmp and it wont show up in the SpritesSheetPicker tab. I modified the Sprite Packer code to export to .png and all is well again.