Search Unity

World Building [RELEASED] Dungeon Architect

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by AliAkbar, Aug 9, 2015.

1. adiohea

adiohea

I can't wait. Thanks AliAkbar!

2. arturmandas

arturmandas

Now it's only 2 weeks before Unity team will let it through...

3. arturmandas

arturmandas

Hello,
    does anyone uses DA in their production pipeline?

My problem is that I use Behaviour Designer asset for behaviour tree based AI, and natually it does not integrate with SharpNav like at all.

And here's the question: do you know any workaround to use Unity standard nav mesh solution to generate nav mesh in runtime? So far I've tried cutting in a pregenerated plane with nav mesh obstacles - it sort of works, but would require me to have all tiles nav mesh obstacle component, as well as all the free space cells. Anyone, please?

4. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

DA 1.3.0 is available now.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  5. arturmandas

arturmandas

Yep I've noticed. Thanks! Looks like I can make proper room corners now, finally.

6. Griffo

Griffo

Hi,

Anyone know if it would be easy to use This to build levels, as I already have that Top_down Sci-Fi asset but all the prefab are in bits, pillars, small walls, corners, grids .. ect ..

Appreciate any input.

Thanks.

7. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

It would be awesome if Unity supported the standard navmesh generation at runtime like in UE4. Unfortunately Unity doesn't support it yet

8. Griffo

Griffo

QUOTE="arturmandas, post: 2714568, member: 136534"]And here's the question: do you know any workaround to use Unity standard nav mesh solution to generate nav mesh in runtime? So far I've tried cutting in a pregenerated plane with nav mesh obstacles - it sort of works, but would require me to have all tiles nav mesh obstacle component, as well as all the free space cells. Anyone, please?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully not to far off Here

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 11.17.00.png

9. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Interesting. Will this be for runtime? They didn't mention it and it could be and editor only API like UnityEditor.NavMeshBuilder.BuildNavMesh :|

Edit: format

10. arturmandas

arturmandas

Hopefully not to far off Here

View attachment 193265 [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know that roadmap. Anyway, I've managed to hack Unity NavMesh and now have a working runtime dynamic nav mesh solution, without 3rd party extensions. Still some bugs to get rid of, but getting there.

Griffo likes this.
  11. arturmandas

arturmandas

I remember reading somewhere that this should also entail runtime nav mesh generation, but am not 100% sure. It's a pity we are waiting so long for something so basic.

Griffo likes this.
  12. arturmandas

arturmandas

Hi @AliAkbar
    sometimes the generator creates rooms in which doors are next to each other, doors leading to the same corridor. This is obviously an unwanted behaviour. How to get rid of that? If I make myself a custom NonDoorAndNeighbourTileSelectionRule would that be enough?
    Best

13. Griffo

Griffo

@AliAkbar

Have you a theme or video for THIS asset please as you said you would be doing one for Unity as I've just purchased you asset and and would like to use it for the top down asset, but as rooms with ceilings, thanks.

14. Griffo

Griffo

Can a GameObject Node have more than 1 selection rule?

The reason I ask is I' like to put NonDoorTileSelectionRule and NonStairTileSelectorRule on the GameObject Node.

15. arturmandas

arturmandas

You have to write your own custom rule. I've heard that in 2.0 there will be multiple selection and transform rules. Check the thread on DA for Unreal Engine.

Griffo likes this.
  16. Griffo

Griffo

Is the only way to add ceiling to add them ALL over including linking walkways then using a ThemeOverrideVolume over the walkways to remove the ceiling or is there a way just to add them to rooms?

Thanks.

17. arturmandas

arturmandas

I guess you can add them as Ground markers and shift up as much as you want.

18. Griffo

Griffo

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes thats what I'm doing, adding as ground markers and setting the Y offset but that puts the ceiling all over the dungeon including the linking walkways between the room so then I'm using ThemeOverrideVolume's to remove the unwanted ceilings but seem the long way around the problem ..

19. arturmandas

arturmandas

combine that with RoomSelectionRule

20. arturmandas

arturmandas

I advise to learn the API - its knowledge is a must if you intend to do something advanced. I've just build myself a primitve door lock system, and it works.

Xepherys and Griffo like this.
  21. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Griffo There's an indoor sample in the Candy theme sample folder. It shows you how you can cleanly create roofs without getting blocked near the stairs. I'll add a Ceiling marker from the builder algorithm itself, so you don't have to attach it to the ground marker as a workaround

Griffo likes this.
  22. arturmandas

arturmandas

Hi @AliAkbar ,
    I want my Boss Room to be larger than others - I made a script were I create (OnPostDungeonBuild() ) a Platform Volume the size of the room, multiply its size by an arbitrary multiplier, then force Rebuild(). But sometimes all I get is a mess. Is there a better way around this issue?

Xepherys likes this.
  23. Griffo

Griffo

@AliAkbar

Or can anyone tell me how I stop a room putting a door on a different level with stairs coming out of the room to the door like in the pictures below please ?

I'd either like the room to be placed just off from the different level or a smaller wall placed around where the door and window are, thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 18.22.26.png Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 18.23.18.png

24. Griffo

Griffo

@AliAkbar

I'm placing random barrels and chests around a dungeon, how do I check using GridCellInfo if there is already a barrel or chest there so another is not placed there to, as it sometimes does, I've been looking through the API online documents but can't find the answer, thanks.

Xepherys likes this.
  25. Griffo

Griffo

@AliAkbar

Is this a bug?

I have a row of visual nodes, chests, and if I add either the NonStairTileSelectorRule or the NonDoorTileSelectorRule to the first one the rest are not called, same if I add it to the second, the first on the left will be called then the second but not the rest.

Now if I add, as in the picture below, two empty visual nodes then on the first (Boxes) add the NonStairTileSelectorRule script then call the second (Boxes_) that I've added the NonDoorTileSelectorRule to then call the last (Boxes__) all the chests from left to right are called.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong ?

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 10.01.11.png

26. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

@Griffo You need to place another mesh on the ceiling where there are stairs so it doesn't block off the door exit. Please check the indoor sample

27. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

I'll have a look

28. Griffo

Griffo

@AliAkbar

I've placed a corner maker node, then a visual node and it is placed correctly, then I tried to place a marker emitter node but it won't place into the scene, is this how corner emitters work or is this a bug?

Cheers.

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 09.17.37.png

29. Griffo

Griffo

@AliAkbar

Using NonStairTileSelectorRule and NonDoorTileSelectorRule on a Game Object Node overrides the Attachment Probability on that node ..

As I need to stop some tiles being placed around stairs and doors this is a big problem for me !!

30. arturmandas

arturmandas

Yep, that's the issue I also encountered...

Griffo likes this.
  31. arturmandas

arturmandas

Hi @AliAkbar, guys,

do you know the trick, a good set of dungeon creation parameters to avoid:
    1. Short corridors between rooms (like 1 tile long; I think they should join then into one);
    2. Doors being created next to each other, more than one for a corridor?

32. Griffo

Griffo

Is there a way to only build corridors, in the image below the light tiles are where the room should be built, can I remove them and only build corridors?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 15.13.09.png

Xepherys likes this.
  33. Timbecile76

Timbecile76

Hopefully I'm not too late to the party. Is there anywhere I can download the theme for the Village Interior Kit?

34. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

35. MrIconic

MrIconic

I've been looking around for a city builder of sorts for a long time now. I have Dungen and similar functionality doesn't seem possible. However, this asset appears to have a few different features that make me consider saving up for it.

However,

1. Is the city building that this asset can do expandable or fleshed out as an actual alternative to dungeons? I ask because I would assume city building was not meant to be something that this asset does but simply can do a little bit of.

2. Is the Unity3D version being focused on less now? Since when I checked Youtube and around the net (like on your website) it seems the focus has shifted to the Unreal Engine version judging by it being the only thing on your store page.

3. Is there any trial/demo of Dungeon Architect?

~Thanks

36. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

1. The developer mentioned that City Builder would be a separate asset. There are some features that can help in the existing dungeon architect but not really the same thing. If you look at the quick start guide you can get some idea of the capabilities for building a city.

http://coderespawn.github.io/dungeo...guide-unity/stage/html/quick_start_1.1.0.html

2. The developer stated that the Unreal version of Dungeon Architect 2.x will come out first and then he will complete the Unity version.

3. No demo or trial that I know of unfortunately. The video tutorials will give you a bit of the overview of how it works.

http://coderespawn.github.io/dungeo...s-unity/stage/html/video_tutorials_1.0.0.html

You can get a general idea of what Dungeon Architect 2.x will be like by looking at the unreal dungeon architect thread.
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/sho...ect/page21&s=e845bedd7abd7929d3d6deb88ac123d1

37. kilik128

kilik128

Hi just starting today first try

it's possible to get hitbox of room i will use meshcombine for optimize mobile

or somethinks about occultion culling ? like sector

and change ground indoor outdoor or way to know when is

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  38. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    is there any option for Start and End rooms ?
    I am even thinking if you can spawn closed doors and the related key in a accessible way, so need to control that process

Xepherys likes this.
  39. Razmot

Razmot

So when do we get 2.0 on unity, with the awesome new snapping mode, elevators and all that cool stuff you shown on unreal ?

Alverik likes this.
  40. antoripa

antoripa

I get the below error trying to use NavMesh to move enemies. Any suggestion ?

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    DungeonArchitect.Navigation.DungeonNavAgent3D.PositionOnNearestNavMesh () (at Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Core/Navigation/DungeonNavAgent3D.cs:116)
    DungeonArchitect.Navigation.DungeonNavAgent3D.Start () (at Assets/DungeonArchitect/Scripts/Core/Navigation/DungeonNavAgent3D.cs:87)

41. kilik128

kilik128

Sorry Antoripa im just started no idea at this time

i look for understand room center marker
    no effect when use miss somethinks?

42. antoripa

antoripa

Re-created from scratch and now it works

43. antoripa

antoripa

Someone knows what is the characters package used in the test demo video ?

44. antoripa

antoripa

Done. Anyway thanks..

45. antoripa

antoripa

Hello.
    It looks like Dungeon Architect is not supported anymore as the developer is putting all his effort on Unreal 4.
    After you paid 95USD that is really bad.
    Tool has many nice concepts, but to use in production you need more customization and there is no documentation about the class used to build / develop the dungeon.
    I have 2 question and my be someone can help / address
    1) How you can avoid double doors to the same room ? I suppose to use a PostBuild event or emitter but I have not got any sample
    2) Is there any way to create a lock doors / keys system ? I suppose to use Marker Emitter Script, but I do not know how query the datastructure holding the dungeon.
    Thanks a lot

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Cartoon-Mania likes this.
  46. MrIconic

MrIconic

I don't think he has abandoned this asset (yet). Since the Unreal version is probably the main version and we're just using a port. So we probably have to wait for him to develop it over here.

Though I guess there isn't much we can do about it either way.

Edit: He has only not been around for a month.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Alverik likes this.
  47. Alverik

Alverik

You're right, sadly there's plenty of assets that are active but barely get much support in the forums (think 2-3 months for an answer). Course, the devs are human, they have projects and other personal stuff going on. Guess you should really start worrying if he goes silent for more than 3 months or so... such is life...

48. syscrusher

syscrusher

@AliAkbar posted here on August 3. There was another post before that indicating he's working on a major upgrade for the Unreal version of this asset and then will port the new features to the Unity version. Like other Unity users, I'm sad that Unity is second and Unreal is first, but I still think this is a very innovative asset and am not ready to abandon it.

That being said, this is one of the reasons I almost always consider availability of source code as a mission-critical factor when I buy scripting assets (DA comes with source, so it's okay in that regard).

arturmandas and Alverik like this.
  49. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    my point is that I bought the package for a project. not for a trial.
    So now there are few bugs those should be fixed and even if I can understand that devs are human .. it is not good leave customers alone for more than one month.
    I could go ahead using the source code, but if I change that code it will be difficult to upgrade the packages when new versions will be released
    @AliAkbar you should provide support as you got money from us.

Griffo likes this.
  50. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

I understand Unreal First and Unity Second.. he has the right to choose.

But customers should be treated equally

Unreal customers first Unity customers second?

It's ridiculous.

Griffo and antoripa like this.