Search Unity

Oculus not working in dirct HMD and not rendering two screens...

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by joeysipos, Jul 28, 2015.

1. joeysipos

joeysipos

Hi all, I have been trying all day to get the Oculus working for Unity and I have had no luck. I have followed all the instructions found here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-5-1-vr-getting-started.332316/page-2#post-2185636

First off, the Oculus DK2 is working fine for all the demos I have played in direct mode.

I have the latest version of unity and the oculus runtime. I configured my game (very basic scene with a cube) following these instructions.
    1. Open menu Edit -> Project Settings -> Player. Select Other Settings, check the Virtual Reality Supported checkbox.
    When I build and preview the game in the editor I see one screen, not two split screens like you would normally see for a VR game. Also, nothing is output to the Oculus Rift... the screens remain black.
    But the positional tracking is working... When I turn the VR headset the camera moves in the preview! So that is something.

Also when I try to build the game for a stand alone application I only get 1 exe. How come I don't get a _DirectToRift.exe like I see in all the demos I have downloaded. Am I missing something? Also when I run the build .exe the positional tracking works but nothing shows in the Oculus, Only black. Also the game on my desktop only has one screen and not two split screens, so even if I ran the Oculus in Extended Desktop mode it would not work... What am i doing wrong? I am running the 64 bit version of the personal Unity edition. Thanks.

Another clue is the unity plash screen stops working in the stand alone build. It just a gray screen until the game pops up with only 1 screen - not split screen.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. joeysipos

joeysipos

This seems to be related to this problem here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/vr...ce-extremely-slow-choppy.341181/#post-2225596

I downloaded the latest patch and it still does not work in direct mode! Although now I am able to run in desktop mode and see the game through the oculus! But displayed without stereoscopic depth... it says in the next patch they will fix it! Hopfully...

Also just incase anyone needs this info, the directToOculus.exe doesn't need to exist anymore. I believe the main .exe will do all the Oculus work. But I yet to see it work.