Search Unity

VR (w/Oculus DK2) performance Extremely Slow/Choppy

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by j2inet, Jul 15, 2015.

1. j2inet

j2inet

I'm seeing very choppy performance from when viewing a scene through the Oculus, but great performance when not using VR. The computer I'm using has plenty of memory (96 gigs) and CPU bandwidth (6-dual core CPUs, Xeon family, 3.37 GHz max clock speed, so on, detailed information below).

To make the problem happen I can create a new project and make a scene that contains a plane (floor) with a few solids (cylinder, cube, sphere) floating in the distance and then view the scene. Other than enabling VR support is there something else I need to do to get decent performance out of such a scene? There's not really a lot going on with a scene like this so I expected much better performance.

Also when I perform a build and run I may have to wait for several minutes before anything renders on the headset. During this time the view of the scene on the desktop's main screen is responding to movements from the rift, but the rift's display remains dark. At times the scene never renders on the headset. Is this experience normal for others using Unity targeting the Oculus DK2?

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 7/15/2015, 13:04:06
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r9.150322-1500)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP Z800 Workstation
    Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @ 3.47GHz (6 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
    Memory: 98304MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 98288MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA Quadro K6000
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: Quadro K6000
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_103A&SUBSYS_103610DE&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 61236 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 12093 MB
    Shared Memory: 49143 MB

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

Latest Unity update drastically improved the performance, are you using the last U5 update?
    We had good perfs with Unity 4, but bad perf with Unity 5 until last update.

3. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

There is a new patch coming out tomorrow for 5.1.2. Once the patch comes out, please run your application and check the performance. If you are experiencing bad performance still on a simple scene, please profile it and take screenshots of the CPU and GPU usage and post here for us to see.

As for the build and run bug, that should be included as a known issue on the Pinned Unity 5.1 Native VR thread on the forums. If you select Build and Run from the build settings window, the player will have a black screen (Signs point to a race condition, but debugging prevents the issue so it remains unresolved as of yet). So for now, just Build the application and run manually. You will have no problems if you do this.

4. j2inet

j2inet

I'm running Unity 5 personal edition. From the about window:

The "Check for Updates" option reports that Unity is up to date.

I'm guessing the patch hasn't been released yet since "Check for Updates" doesn't show any updates are available. I'll wait until it shows as available and then try it out.

5. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

6. j2inet

j2inet

7. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Fyi -
    • VR: Recommended to stay on 5.1.2f1 for Virtual Reality supported projects. There is a bug where images are displayed without stereoscopic depth to the headset in this patch. This will be fixed in 5.1.2p2 due next week.