Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Made an Multiplayer FPS Kit - What should I add?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by programmrzinc, Dec 13, 2014.

1. programmrzinc

programmrzinc

I'm nearing completion on a FPS kit I've been creating. There are alot of features, like multiplayer, login, Database saving, Leveling up, friends, and weapon customization. However, I am not sure how much I should charge on such a project. I was leaning towards $100, but I also didnt know what developers should expect for a kit that cost $100. Do they want documentation, or tutorials? Please, i want your suggestions.

The kit demo is on NitroLabGames.com/site/DeltaOne

2. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Checked out the demo. Not too bad, fell through the ground a few times. The weapon sounds stopped when someone else joined. And I can tell you used the new GUI because when my computer went fullscreen, half the menu options were cut off on the left, haha.

But, there wasn't any latency so the gunplay with that 1 other person was gun. Unfortunately your registration system let me register as...

username: asdf
    password:g
    email: asdfgr

Plenty of weapon kits charge $15-50 without networking / server handling / database stuff. $100 is reasonable for that extra stuff. Documentation would definitely be best so people can understand your server and database code to prevent stuff like what I did with the registration, haha.

3. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Seems like when i entered a ladder it would just warp up or something. maybe like vechiles since i dont think any of the fps kits have those. UFPS is $90 and doesnt even have any multiplayer so i dont think 100 is unreasonable.

4. programmrzinc

programmrzinc

Tomnnn I played with you a little. I am working on an update that scales based on width, and not on height. I never even thought someone would willingly circumvent the login system. I can work on that tonight.
    Aiursrage2k Ladders transport the user to the top/bottom of the ladder because I didn't know of a way to do ladder controls for mobile. Vehicles might make a great addition to the kit, and make the kit much more interesting! I'll take the idea to heart. You might see it in the demo soon!

5. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well maybe add them as an expansion then

6. randomperson42

randomperson42

A better question to ask than "is my pack worth x amount" would be "will my pack be successful at x price". Your asset may very well be worth $100 but you have to look at your competition. UFPS is $90 and dominating the FPS market. Few people will buy another kit for 10 bucks more when UFPS is proven and popular. And there are plenty of other FPS kits on the asset store as well.

If I were you I would start with a price well below $50 and try to gain some popularity and awareness first, then as your product improves and people are more aware, you can raise your price later.

So even if you're offering a superior product I would recommend establishing yourself first before asking for a higher price.

Ryiah and Tomnnn like this.
  7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

So that's why your name was admin? Haha I had a strange feeling it was you. I killed you because of the non-existant recoil in the automatic weapon... that's definitely cool to see for once, but should probably be configurable.

As for ladders, you could write a "LadderPhysics" script that disable other normal movement controls and gravity while you're on a ladder. I can tell you from my experience in not playing well with others in group projects that in Unity, it's totally fine to have your code disable other bits of code when those other bits fail.

I like the way you rephrased that question. Branding often drives up the price no matter what the content is, so it may be best to undersell it at first just a liiiittle bit. If it does well, you can make DLC for your asset :D lol

8. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  9. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

That's a good point. I almost made a joke about making vehicles a dlc/addon, but including them could help the asset sell.

10. Imre

Imre

Checked it out, was unable to play with friend. He was unable to join the game. Multiplayer is peer-to-peer? If so, multiplayer part is worth nothing. I did not see any pickups and bullet decals, and does it have bullet ballistics?

11. randomperson42

randomperson42

Yeah the UFPS guy has been planning multiplayer for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens soon.

12. programmrzinc

programmrzinc

Imre It is multiplayer using Photon Cloud Networking. I set up the script to connect to the best server, so your friend ( or you) might of connected to an EU, Asia, or US server.

randomperson42 I was thinking of lowering the project price for that reason, actually. I'll continue working on the project and release a 2.0 version that supports Vehicles, Mobiles, and Character/Weapon Customization. I think my kit will take off after that since its more like a full fledged game rather than a kit.

13. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I guess you should make sure it works in offline mode -- which should be easy enough.

14. programmrzinc

programmrzinc

Aiursrage2k My kit focuses entirely on Multiplayer, actually..

15. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah I guess so. The only thing is that people might not want to use photon and might not want to use multiplayer so it would be limiting your sales. What I did for my bowling kit was use ifdefs to get ride of the multiplayer (but if people want to use it they can uncomment those lines).

16. Imre

Imre

He did see my "room", but was unable to join. And photon with it's 500msg/second limit per room, is pretty bad for FPS game.

17. programmrzinc

programmrzinc

Imre Although I would not use Photon for an AAA FPS, I needed a flexible networking solution that is very easy to implement. And how do you know you were unable to join?

18. Imre

Imre

We were talking with skype and he did see my room, but joining failed. Better do generic multiplayer interface and leave actual implementation details to buyer / user? Having max 8 players per. room is not so action packed experience from FPS game :)

19. programmrzinc

programmrzinc

Imre Room size is customizable, actually. All I am offering is a kit, not a full game.

20. JEGuitarist

JEGuitarist

Kit looks good, the gui looks a bit bland but it can easily be changed. I'd consider buying it just so I could see how you went about doing the login feature and the weapon customization..trying to figure that out currently and haven't had much luck haha.

I do have one question...being that it's FPS Kit 2.0 - just a modded version..are you allowed to sell it?

21. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Oh dont tell me its happened again.

22. JEGuitarist

JEGuitarist

I'm afraid so.. It's using fps kit 2.0, just changed the gui and the way you connect.. Map selection is the same, map is the same (but different lighting) guns are the same.. Did I mention it was the same? Haha

23. Ryiah

Ryiah

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  24. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

You can't just make a UI around a project and call it your own project and re-sell it unless you're allowed, do you have the license to resell the FPS Kit v2?

25. programmrzinc

programmrzinc

Yes, I used the original weapons and map in the demo. I've now updated the demo to reflect my own weapons and maps. If any of you would like to peek at my source code and try to draw comparisons ( you wont find any ) be my guest. I have adapted my kit on a myriad of youtube tutorials and free assets that I have commercial rights to redistribute.

26. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

If so its OK IMO.

27. programmrzinc

programmrzinc

28. programmrzinc

programmrzinc

Shkarface Noori ok. Just let me know if you want to look at my source code, before you say I'm using soneone elses kit to my own financial gain.

29. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

I do not need to look at your source code, and I asked you of you had the right to redistribute the other kit's resources, and you said you had the right, so no problem.