Search Unity

Mac graphics card glitch?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by coshea, Feb 25, 2016.

1. coshea

coshea

I've started getting weird glitches that show up only in the editor (not builds) on my fbx animated files. You see it clearly when the animations are playing, in scene and game view, and also if you try to resize the Unity display window. This happens across all my apps. I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Unity.

I've got a Late 2013 Mac Book Pro, OSX 10.11.3.

Graphics cards:
    Intel Iris Pro 1526 MB
    Nvidia GeForce GT 750M 2048mb

I thought maybe it was because it was trying to use the Intel gpu, so I turned off automatic graphics switching in energy saver system preferences. In Activity Monitor on OSX, it shows Unity as Requires High Perf GPU = YES.

I am using Unity Pro 5.3.2p4, sometimes with external non retina monitor as main display, sometimes using retina mac book pro display.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. _monoflow

_monoflow

3. coshea

coshea

Update:
    I notice the Editor says OpenGL 4.1 in the title bar.

I ran with -force-opengl which was opengl 2 (deprecated) and no glitches

-force-glcore40 = OpenGL 4.0 also glitches

OpenGL 3.3 does not glitch, so that seems to be the problem.

How to fix though?

[edit] not just fbx files, but any 2d mesh that is animated, so the skinned mesh animation created with puppet2d plugin also glitches on 4.1

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  4. TrialByFun

TrialByFun

Hi,

On Mac, getting the same issue on 5.3.3 on SkinnedMeshes ( only them as far as i can tell ) randomly sheering / flickering across the screen for single frames.

I can confirm it goes away when forcing <OpenGL 2.1 [deprecated]> ( which coincidentally seems to improve framerate in editor and game ), but the issue for me is still present when forcing GL 3.3, and 4.0 and leaving the default 4.1.

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

6. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  7. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@coshea Do you have a bug number for me?
    Choose Help->Report a Bug in Unity, then post your bug. If it wasn't submitted as a bug I can't guarantee it will be fixed with the next patch (as it wouldn't have been tested). :/

8. coshea

coshea

Hmm, no I haven't submitted a bug, but any skinned mesh animation on OSX is Glitching with Unity 5.3 as others have reported above, so I'd be amazed if anyone at Unity hasn't seen this.

https://twitter.com/aras_p/status/703258243309690880
    "ok, I’ll forward to OpenGL folks. Sorry for the trouble! Use GL2 for now :/"

9. strandborg

strandborg

Hey,

I think this is a driver bug in NVidia GPU drivers on OSX that we _think_ we are now finally been able to work around in the upcoming 5.3.3p3. If this still reproes on that release (once it's out), or if it happens on GPUs other than nvidia (you can switch to intel GPU using apps like gfxCardStatus etc), please let us know and we'll get right to it.

--Mikko

10. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Same symptoms can have different causes :) It's also a measure of how many users are affected. If you have an issue, please submit a bug. :)

Thank you @strandborg for updating us!!

11. coshea

coshea

I am using Unity 5.4.1 p1 on Mac 10.11.6
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

When it shows OpenGL 4.1 in the Editor title, looks like below. If I run with -force-opengl (Open GL 2.1 in toolbar) it looks fine, so this issue still hasn't been resolved in updates.