Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[5.3] Elements in the UI flicker between different sprites

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by CiroContns, Dec 10, 2015.

1. CiroContns

CiroContns

Unity Legend

I recently switched from 5.1 to 5.3 for our project, and I got some issues with flickering elements in the UI. I've uploaded a gif of the problem:

http://gfycat.com/QueasyDeadlyLangur

As you can see, when I move the purple selection between the between the social buttons at the bottom, the logo at the top flickers with the FB or Twitter logo for one frame.
    Also two button prompts in the bottom left corner (the Space bar and the Esc button) flicker with some other sprite.

My menu does nothing more than move the rect of that purple sprite around. It was working up to 5.1, and now it's broken. I've tried everything (Reimport All, etc.) to no success.

Anybody suffering the same fate?

AdmiralThrawn and camillo777 like this.
  2. Pequeno

Pequeno

I'm suffering from the same issue on my Android app.
    Seems it's choosing "random" elements and putting on the other sprites when redrawing. It's very weird, and doesn't make any sense.

3. oleggelezcov

oleggelezcov

I have the same issue on Universal Windows App. I don't use any 2D sprites. Its problem exlusively on Unity UI

4. CiroContns

CiroContns

Unity Legend

Yeah, just to clarify: I used the word "sprite", but I'm referring to the UI too.

5. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Seems to be fairly widespread, have you logged a bug report @ccontinisio ?
    must admit, I didn't see any such issues during the beta.

6. CiroContns

CiroContns

Unity Legend

I'm in a bit of a rush today, but I will (I need to re-install 5.3, duplicate the project, reduce it to upload it, etc.)

7. Nonatomic

Nonatomic

Experiencing the same issue upgrading from 5.2 to 5.3. We've been reluctantly using SetSiblingIndex to manage UI Image depth which we thought may be the culprit. However we also notice this flickering is primarily on masked objects, so perhaps its related to masking and the stencil buffer. Has anyone made any progress on identifying the root cause of this issue?

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I have seen a few people mention this. Somebody please file a bug report with a repro project!!! Pretty please :)

Edit: Seems the sprite is flicking to the wrong texture. Looks similar to an issue we fixed recently where sprites had no texture and would default to the previously used one, I wonder if this is related.

AdmiralThrawn likes this.
  9. Nonatomic

Nonatomic

karl_jones likes this.
  10. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

I could throw in "GI update". I have that flickering, too, and I was trying to make a smaller repro project. It occurs only when I move my only directional light and GI cpu consumption is set to low.

karl_jones likes this.
  11. MuHaGames_Avee

MuHaGames_Avee

Same problem here, on Linux build (OpenGL) and sometimes on Windows build in dx9 mode.

12. DanielLupascu

DanielLupascu

Hi any updates on this issue?

13. anton-melegov

anton-melegov

same issue

14. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Still being looked at by QA. If you have a simple example project with the problem you can share then drop it in here. May help speed things up.

15. ClothCat

ClothCat

Any news on this issue?
    Can we expect a patch soon?

16. Democide

Democide

I have the same issue and I have sent a bug report with a project attached. Note that this only appears on some systems - my laptop has that problem, while my desktop system does not. I assume it's related to the specific graphics card used.

17. 11k

I found the solution by manny mistakes.
    For us to work everything without flickering i just change the "Max Size" on all our sprites to 1024 and the "Format" to "Compressed" . We hope this work for you guys two.

18. Cripple

Cripple

Same issue here ... every new version of unity breaks something, thats pretty sad :\

19. 11k

And disable GPU skinning

20. rzubek

rzubek

I can also confirm this happens on 5.3.1 - only started with 5.3, it was working fine on 5.2.x

Activating/deactivating UI components causes noticeable flicker elsewhere in the UI - not just on the UI element being operated on. For example, I have flyout text boxes in my UI - when a flyout disappears, for just one frame other parts of the UI will flicker, as their textures get replaced with a seemingly random other texture or material. Then the next frame it's back to normal. This is very unpredictable, one run will have less flickering, while another run will have more of it.

It only happens in standalone build. It doesn't happen in the editor.

I've seen it on Windows 10 and OS X. It seems that weaker video cards really bring it out: a Windows desktop will show it very rarely, a Windows laptop with integrated Intel will show it more often, while a 2 year old Mac Mini shows it almost all the time when the UI is being stressed.

EDIT: I confirmed it's a 5.3 issue by downgrading to 5.2.x and the flicker does not happen there.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    User340 likes this.
  21. User340

User340

I can relate to rzubek, it literally starts flickering after I Instantiate a Point Light with shadows. No flickering until that light is created, weird. It's as though the more the GPU is taxed, the worse it becomes.

22. asperatology

asperatology

If only there's a way to upload a small repo project to the forums, I would be so grateful. It keeps telling me the server can't handle large file sizes, when a zipped file is less than 1MB big.

Here's what it looks for me. It hurts just to see if music notes can match up with the staff in the background.

23. Democide

Democide

That'
    s a very different issue than the one the rest of the thread describes though. This is some weird rasterization issue. Could be the shader, could be your graphics card. At first I thought it would have been Z-Fighting, but this selems unlikely.

rzubek likes this.
  24. asperatology

asperatology

Nvidia Geforce 860M on Windows 10 Pro, Alienware 13.

This is a new project with just a Canvas and 3 images. No shaders whatsoever. It is really possible it might have been my graphics card, but I can't seem to pinpoint the cause. Driver issue? Card issue? I can't tell.

25. asperatology

asperatology

What about this one?

Unity 5.3.1f1, Alienware X51 R2.

26. User340

User340

That looks like doubled polygons, or two ui elements overlapping each other. Lets not mix issues.

Zimbres likes this.
  27. asperatology

asperatology

Really? I'll make a new thread about this then. I thought the flickering is related, with a bit more than flickering.

28. rzubek

rzubek

I was able to trim down our game to a minimal project that triggers this behavior reliably. I've uploaded a report, case #756226

Please let me know if you need more info!

EDIT: PS just to confirm, this is about the bug with textures getting swapped out for one frame, not the z-sorting stuff further down in the thread.

Zimbres and karl_jones like this.
  29. asperatology

asperatology

Sorry about that.

30. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Thanks. Extra projects are always welcome with bug reports

31. Ardetiaproductions

Ardetiaproductions

Any more updates / workarounds?
    None of the stated ones work for me. All of the ui elements is on 0 z position and the canvas is not set to pixel perfect.

32. asperatology

asperatology

If you send to Unity a working reproduction project that is very small in size, they will fix it sooner and will release the patch soon.

Unfortunately, right now it's Christmas, meaning you will have to wait until next year.

karl_jones likes this.
  33. rzubek

rzubek

Got a response from QA, saying they were able to repro as well, and forwarded the bug over to developers.

So hopefully this will get ironed out soon! :)
    /me knocks on wood

karl_jones and User340 like this.
  34. jetpacker

jetpacker

Same issue... any idea on when a fix will be released. Pretty frustrating.

35. asperatology

asperatology

Either this week or next week.

36. ExplodingTiger

ExplodingTiger

Same issue here, I was wondering what on Earth did I do to the materials/textures to cause this. Good to know it's a bug.

Kind of stressful for novice Unity users like myself - a person might wonder what he did wrong and it turns out it's just a bug.

Fingers crossed they fix it soon.

[Edit:]
    I installed an older version of Unity (5.1.4), then I realized that some code in my project requires a version >5.2 and I installed Unity 5.3.1 again. The flickering between images in the UI is suddenly gone, wow. Mind you, no code was changed during these shenanigans. No idea if this is even a solution or if it will work for anyone else, but for now, it works for me!

[Edit2:]
    Lol, nope, false alarm, problem's back again, out of nowhere. Gonna wait patiently for a fix.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  37. MZaeemQ

MZaeemQ

Same issue. Any fix out yet ?

38. a-dogg

a-dogg

glitchers likes this.
  39. rzubek

rzubek

40. MZaeemQ

MZaeemQ

41. PentagramPro

PentagramPro

Same bug, 5.3.1p2

42. a-dogg

a-dogg

PentagramPro: are you saying this issue is fixed in 5.3.1p2? The fix list is short on that release and I don't see one that seems relevant.

43. a-dogg

a-dogg

I'm not sure we can roll back easily at this point.

44. CxydaIO

CxydaIO

same issue here. My project worked fine in 5.2 ! Now i can't downgrade to 5.2 because Unity is crashing everytime i try to open my project with 5.2 :( It's VERY annoying that unity introduces with newer versions several new bugs on things which already worked well. This way we have to constantly update our projects to get one bugs fixed but then you have even more other bugs to deal with...

***Edit** issue appears with 5.3.1 AND 5.3.0

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  45. a-dogg

a-dogg

We continue to have this issue with 5.3.1 p2 (not surprising, release notes didn't indicate this was fixed).

46. sovida

sovida

same issue,waiting for update

47. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

rzubek likes this.
  48. PentagramPro

PentagramPro

No, I meant that "I experience same issue with 5.3.1p2", but I was too brief. I'm sorry.

49. rzubek

rzubek

User340 likes this.
  50. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Its currently being worked on by a developer but no ETA until we know what the problem is.