Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Low frame rate in new project with empty scene.

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by CorruptScanline, Nov 1, 2014.

1. CorruptScanline

CorruptScanline

I am getting consistently low frame rate when the editor is in play mode. I have created a new empty project and scene and the results are the same. The frame rate seems to be about 30-40 fps although unsurprisingly the stats show a rather high frame rate. There doesn't seem to be anything strange in the profiler except some abnormally high physics stuff, especially for an empty scene. But nothing that would cause a framerate of 30:

The performance when panning the scene view camera around when not in play mode, or when play mode is paused is fine, but once play mode is started the frame rate is choppy.

Operating system is OS X Yosemite public beta 4 (10.10 14A379b).

ocimum likes this.
  2. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Yeah, I've also noticed significantly lower frame rates on my project ever since updating, though I hadn't changed anything.

And for me the profiler showed no signs of issues. In fact, there was about 15 ms taken up only by "WaitForTargetFPS" in the profiler, and still it was performing quite terribly.

3. davem250

davem250

Have you tried upgrading the OS to the final version of Yosemite??? I'm running on the final version (the one in App Store) and i usually have no problems, actually i have only experienced frame lag when i had the profiler open! if i closed it the lag was gone! Also if you choose to keep the beta of Yosemite, please consider this that you're using a beta program inside a beta OS! Also Yosemite is free of charge ;)

4. resequenced

resequenced

I'm seeing lower frame rates across the board. As an example, I have a scene which runs at an average 45 FPS on Unity 4.6 and an average 9 FPS on Unity 5. Unity QA has reproduced the issue and passed it to the developers but there's no word on the status yet. The case number is 633835.

5. resequenced

resequenced

Good news! This is fixed in 5.0b14 (or at least, sometime since 5.0b11). I'm now averaging 48 FPS on this scene (from 9 FPS before). Another scene which was averaging 18 FPS is now at 65 FPS.

6. CorruptScanline

CorruptScanline

It still persists for me in b18 and osx 10.10.1, and both standard video drivers, and NVIDIA Web Drivers. Sometimes its possible to get it to run normal (before b18). It almost always happens when both scene and game view are visible at the same time in play mode. In b18 it seems to be happening consistently even when only one is visible though (in previous versions it was usually fine when only one was visible).

Edit: The inconsistencies between b18 and older versions of 5 was because I didnt have vsync disabled. So far in b18 without vsync I havent noticed drastic frame rate drop, but I wont be surprised if it pops up again.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  7. FriendlyHo

FriendlyHo

Dropped from 60fps to 15fps since I used b18-19. I even tried empty scenes/new project and it still would freeze my screen for 1-2 seconds if I move the editor camera fast enough.

windows 8.1
    980gfx

8. KhaledM

KhaledM

I was having the same issue and I posted about it few days ago
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/fps-problem-after-beta-14.285753/

this issue started after beta 14 I guess, but in beta 20 there is this line in the release info:
    "Android: Now using VSYNC time when available to try for stable 30fps when "Every other vblank" is on"

I don't know if this has anything to do with it