Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

hand axe

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Avenger84, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Avenger84

Avenger84

Hi guys just finished this axe asset as a part of my environment im working on in Unity. Any feedback would be great and also is this worth putting as an asset on the Unity store never sold anything on there before. The asset uses three 2048 maps Diffuse, Spec and Normal. And the Diffuse was hand painted.

zombie_rockstar likes this.
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

What type of game are you working on Avenger84?
    3x2048 seems a little high in my opinion for one weapon, but I'm no expert on texture resolutions. I just came off a real-time RTS type game and the textures for the character were 2x2048 but I think they were reduced at run-time to 2x1024.
    Anyway the axe model looks good. I'd say the texture of the blade looks like wood. May want to make it more metal looking in color and specularity.
    Also the crack on the top of the blade near the shaft makes it look like it will break completely soon. May want to reduce the length and width of that crack so it doesn't look so brittle.
    The back of the axe blade is kind of plain. A simple pattern on it created with the studs on top of the handle would be a simple, nice enhancement.

As far as assets go, I'm of the opinion static assets are best sold in a set and for a moderate price. If I was going to attempt to sell this axe on the asset store I'd probably want to make a set of weapons and sell them together. Check other assets similar to yours and see how they have been done.
    If you do decide to put this and other weapons on the store - I'd suggest creating normal textures as you have already done and PBR ready textures for Unity's new lighting system.

Nice work.

3. Avenger84

Avenger84

Hi anmator2b Thanks for the feedback, I have bumped up my spec to give it more of that metallic feel. I am going to leave in the big crack by the handle as this axe is a decorative piece in my environment and wanted it to look well used.
    Below is the scene I am working on rather than a game at this stage. I am not long out of Uni and looking to get in to the industry as a 3D artist/Environment artist.

This is still early stages of my WIP im going for a stylized look all textures that you see have been hand painted, also in the scene the lighting is no where near done many for some are just placeholder to give me somewhat of an idea.

4. Avenger84

Avenger84

Just finished the retopology and first bakes for this cart asset for my scene

5. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Hey Avenger, the overall progress seems nice, i would suggest to reduce blocks size,
    the wood planks on the cart should be horizontal, not vertical, also try to add some supports like the wheel.

6. Avenger84

Avenger84

Hi zertrax thanks for the comments :) above is the concept I am working off from Noah Bradley and as you can see the planks run vertical which is why I did it like this. Going to add nails and such into my painted texture. I may add extra supports but as yet not sure if I will do this.

7. Avenger84

Avenger84

Ok finished with this asset for my scene on to the next one !

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Are those blue nails?
    :)

9. Avenger84

Avenger84

Metal sometimes has a blueish tint maybe I overdid it will fix it with some saturation but I dont feel its that noticeable

10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Haha - no Sir it is not very noticable at all. I had to zoom in a criminal amount to see them. The metal has a bluish tint because it's reflecting the skylight. Right? Maybe reduce the reflection a minor amount is all.
    I was just being a passive aggressive (comical) fan of your work. Keep it up! The cart looks great.

11. zombie_rockstar

zombie_rockstar

dude, I love your assets... I wish I could do this :(

12. Avenger84

Avenger84

Lol thanks man all crits are welcome because you might spot something I have overlooked your comments as always are appreciated :)

Thanks really appreciate that. The best advice I can give is to just keep practising

jtok4j and zombie_rockstar like this.
  13. jtok4j

jtok4j

Avenger84: Yes, Do create assets for sale on the AssetStore. Your attention to detail will help you to stand out among the 9,000 plus entries in the graphics area there. BUT: Game designers like me are always in need of new assets, since the old ones start to get recognized.

Realize too, that a few assets will bring in a few dollars (only). There is tight competition, and you might want to focus on a certain group of items which is not yet in the assetstore at the moment. (You'll have to look for niches which haven't been filled, such as computer/IT gear or calendars to hand on the wall, or small photographs for the wall... just let your imagination go, and you'll find something. :)

( ^ Example: I'm not an artist, but I saw that there were no ready-made prefab "audio controls". Yes, there IS major/very complex audio control systems, of which I actually own several of, but when I was designing my first game, I just wanted a "Mute" button. Ready-made, with a script to mute the sound, so I didn't HAVE to make it myself. (Sounds lazy, but I'd rather be designing the environment, than looking up the code for muting the audio...) So, I looked and there were no simple prefab/scripts available for such things... So, I took a few months, in my rare spare time here and there to complete: Universal Audio Controls (ver. 1.2 now available) )

So, that ^ was just an example of how you might put your (very impressive) modeling and art skills to use. Just make sure you request that if people use your stuff, that they tell you/credit you, so you can mention in your portfolio of art that "such and such" a piece was used in "X" game. That helps you sell more and get more jobs. :)

Good Luck!

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

A lot of people have enough money from asset store to live on, so it all depends on your reputation for quality :)

Avenger84 likes this.
  15. Avenger84

Avenger84

Really appreciate the comments and the advice always great to have insight into what game designers are looking for. Originally I was building this environment as a piece for my portfolio and to get better aquainted with Unity 5. After this I will probably begin making asset packs like you advised :)

16. Avenger84

Avenger84

Been a while since I updated this as I have been busy going to call it done for now. All Hand Painted Diffuse other than the floor slabs which uses a normal map. The shot is taken in Unity 5. Hope you like :)