Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bootstrapping stage failed during deployment

Discussion in 'VR' started by bajeo88, Jun 29, 2016.

1. bajeo88

bajeo88

Hi,

I'm having issues deploying the Origami project to my Hololens.

The project builds OK but when deploying to the hololens I get the following error: "Error occurred during bootstrapping stage 'Connecting to device'. MissingMethodException - Boolean Microsoft.Tools.Connectivity.RemoteDevice.Ping()"

I have setup the hololens as a dev kit, and I can connect to it via a browser and view all the details of the device. Using the same IP address in VS with release mode (x86) and have set the target as "Remote Machine" using the hololens IP. I have updated by visual studio to latest and made sure all the tools have been downloaded.

Also if I try to ping the Hololens from my desktop it times out.

Anyone else seen this issue?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Can you send screen shots please? What update of visual studio are you using? Also, can you send a snippet of the error you are seeing?

Thank you,
    Wesley

3. bajeo88

bajeo88

Hi Wesley,

I fixed the issue, so unfortunately no screen snip, should have taken one at the time, sorry. It appears to have been related to something around the installation order of software (Visual Studio and its tools, Unity and Hololens tools). Plus I usually have around 5 versions of unity installed at any one time which I'm sure didn't help.

If anyone else hits this issue best solution (one that worked for me) is to uninstall all installed Unity versions, uninstall Visual Studio 2015 and Hololens toolkits. Then essentially from a 'clean' system, install the software in the order mentioned on the installation page. My guess is even though I followed the installation order I had some software already installed and so it did not install 100% correctly.

4. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

upload_2016-8-2_8-8-28.png
    Is the error I am receiving.
    Unity 5.4.0f1-HTP
    Visual Studio Community 2015

I installed Visual Studio first, then HoloLens emulator (though I don't need the emulator itself) and finally Unity.

5. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

Looks to be caused by an older version of the Windows 10 SDK. I had two installed from the Visual Studio installer.

upload_2016-8-2_10-56-43.png

The top option includes a version of the Windows 10 SDK, so there is no need for the bottom one to be selected.
    I'm not sure if repairing / reinstalling the top one afterwards would fix the issue, I opted to not include the bottom option.

6. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello,

You can try doing repairing / reinstalling to see if the resolves the issue, and let us know the result please?

Thank you,
    Wesley

7. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I fixed it by uninstalling everything and when reinstalling only selecting the Tools (1.4) and Windows 10 SDK (10.0.10586) and not Windows 10 SDK (10.0.10240).

I did try repairing both installations of Windows 10 SDK first and that didn't work, but I would've expected it to.

8. lunar_wing

lunar_wing

Has anyone solved this?

9. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

It was caused by a mismatch between the Tools, the Windows SDK and Unity version. Try uninstalling everything to do with the Windows SDK and reinstalling a newer/older version.