Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Free screen recorder for unity games?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by a1s2d3f4, Aug 24, 2011.

1. a1s2d3f4

a1s2d3f4

Hi, ive been looking for a better screen recorder than camstudio and hypercam since they both dont work that well for unity. Also ive seen a lot of videos on youtube that have very very good quality screen recordings, but nobody ever replies to the question "what are you recording that with". So, does anyone have an idea of a good screen recorder (color quality good enough to look like it looks while your playing it, 20-30 fps, etc)?

BTW, no, not fraps... never fraps. i need to record for more than 30 seconds

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Sometimes its worth to buy a software and fraps is definitely worth it.
    $37.00 / 25,5 € is a fair price for that qualety it is delivering.

I did not found a stable / good screen capture software for free (baybe because its hard to realize / optimize).

Did you tried the xfire Recorder?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  3. lazygunn

lazygunn

You said no fraps but i'm sayin fraps

4. brianchasalow

brianchasalow

5. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

So the only reason you don't want to use Fraps is because it has a 30 second limitation in the free version? You want to know what software they are using but if they were to ever say Fraps you wouldn't be interested in the answer?

For me, its Fraps all the way. You can record for more than 30 seconds if you use the paid for version. And on Youtube, when they are recording games, it is almost always invariably Fraps.

6. a1s2d3f4

a1s2d3f4

Im actually just using the free fraps, i just have to hit F9 every 30 or so seconds, but its not that bad. The video just ends up skipping like half second in a few places.

7. npsf3000

npsf3000

Is this for your own unity game?

8. amanda88

amanda88

You can use something different to help record video games. It can help record whatever movements you made on your computer screen when you were playing, and it also will save the recording to standard video format file, so you can upload to video shareing websites to share with other gamers.

9. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

An update... for this long living thread.

If you have Nvidia GPU you can use Nvidia Shadow Play. It can record without taking up any CPU resouces. (free)
    Another Good option is "Open Broadcaster Software", its free works on AMDand Nvidia and can save directly to mp4 / mkv.