Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3D 4.2 with OSX Mavericks GM

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by twangsta, Oct 6, 2013.

1. atmuc

atmuc

it is beta version. i am in beta program. i just want to give happy news related this topic :) i don't know ETA. :) i know it is very annoying that we cannot debug on Mavericks but you wouldn't want to work with beta for your production developments. i still use 4.2 and 4.3 beta. i test my project on both versions. i suggest you to use windows version on a virtual machine for debugging, i debug like that. as all beta products you will have another problems if you use beta. as you watch on unite 2013 videos there will be many good features especially for 2D. we should be patient for this features until they are ready.

2. Usmith

Usmith

How can I find this version 4.3f2?

3. atmuc

atmuc

it is open to beta users and beta program is closed because they reached the limit. it is just for testing and finding bugs. many asset store assets do not work with it. some publishers should release 4.3 compatible assets. so i do not suggest you to use 4.3 just after it is released for your serious projects if you use external assets. i still develop with 4.2. except debugging on Mavericks, 4.2 is the best for now. Believe me, it is the best option to use Debug.Log or windows version for debugging now.

4. AphexHenry

AphexHenry

Thank you atmuc for the feedback, seems like the best solution is a rollback. At least I won't wait for nothing.

And NO THANKS to the Unity team for the lack of support!

5. Toad

Toad

Just to let you know that I had the same problems as you after upgrading to Mavericks (basically MonoDevelop stopped working). I've installed the free Xamarin Studio (v4.0.13) and that seems to work great with Unity. It seems like a nice upgrade from MonoDevelop too!

6. atmuc

atmuc

@AphexHenry you are right, rollback to mountain lion can be good solution. as far as i deeply use 4.3 i see more problems and i suggest using 4.2 more. i also tried to integrate Xamarin studio which will come with 4.3. please trust me and do not waste your time to use other than 4.2.2 and monodevelop that comes with 4.2. after 4.3 is released install both 4.2 and 4.3. use 4.3 to learn new features and go on using 4.2 until all your asset publishers say their assets are compatible with 4.3. you will see 2d features is much attractive, do not start to convert your 2d game for awhile. create a test project and test all your requirements.

of course it is bad news that unity will not fix 4.2.2 for Mavericks debug. personally, i guess using stable 4.3 with stable best seller assets will take 45 days. :)

keep stable, keep happy :)

7. Usmith

Usmith

yes you are right, i go back to 4.2, but i like the new monodevelop in 4.3, so i replaced the monodevelp ;)

8. yourpalmark

yourpalmark

Anyone with access to the fixed beta version of 4.3:
    Is there a chance that the issue was solved in that version of MonoDevelop (instead of Unity) and that if you change the external script editor of 4.2 to point to the newer MonoDevelop in 4.3 could it work?

9. atmuc

atmuc

i tested 4.2.2 with Monodevelop that comes with fixed 4.3f2. it is the same. problem is related unity.

10. atmuc

atmuc

11. atmuc

atmuc

12. icreate

icreate

Great news. The list of features/bug fixed is really long, great job Unity team.

The last point in the known issues still points to the same issue with debugging on Mac, any more details on that? or I guess we will experience it ourselves.

13. atmuc

atmuc

14. yourpalmark

yourpalmark

I installed 4.3 this morning. I still have the same issue in that debugging completely crashes Unity on Mavericks. A coworker of mine installed this morning on Mavericks and his works perfectly. Anyone else still crashing?

15. atmuc

atmuc

have you checked this?

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/210...mp-Workarounds

are you sure that you are running 4.3f4?

16. yourpalmark

yourpalmark

4.3.0f4

I crash on existing and brand new projects, restarted Unity several times. Anytime I connect the debugger in MonoDevelop and hit Play in Unity I crash.

17. atmuc

atmuc

close monodevelop. while your project and scene open close unity. open unity and check your scene is open. on unity assets/sync monodevelop project. attach process on monodevelop. play on unity. my unity crash if i open another scene after i opened my project.

have you tried suggestion on deleting some files and reinstalling unity?

18. yourpalmark

yourpalmark

Where is that suggestion? Because I'm actually in the process of uninstalling Unity and want to make sure I've removed all traces just in case.

19. atmuc

atmuc

20. yourpalmark

yourpalmark

Just uninstalled completely (not just app, but all Library references as well for both Unity and MonoDevelop) and reinstalled.
    Opened AngryBots, synced MonoDevelop, attached debugger, hit Play, crash.
    The only difference I can think of between me and my coworker is that my Mavericks is an upgrade and his was a fresh install on a new computer.

21. atmuc

atmuc

mine is also upgrade. could i explain last scene open problem?

can you try this. first play in unity. then attach process on monodevelop.

22. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

I'm still also experiencing a crash when trying to debug through MonoDevelop. This is an extremely urgent issue that the Unity team needs to hotfix. Having us wait until 4.3 was one thing - not having it work in 4.3 at all is terrible. I upgraded solely on the assumption that this would work.

23. yourpalmark

yourpalmark

Ahhhhh... now I understand what you were saying. Ok, that actually works!

??? Very strange, so I have to kickstart the project by hitting play before attaching the process, but then afterwards it works fine to hit play after connecting (at least for that one particular project).

So there is still a bug that you can't attach the process first, but at least I can work now.

Thank you so much!

24. atmuc

atmuc

in fact i said 2 different things :)

first is that open project then do not open a scene.

second is play unity before you attach process. this is a bug of unity soft debugger addon of monodevelop.

i can debug without unity first. at least you have a workaround. there is still a bug that i reported just after they released 4.3b3. it is also in known issues list. workaround for it is open scene that you want to debug.close unity.open unity.it will open with the last scene that you want to debug. attach process. play. i work like that.

what is your Mono Soft Debugger Support For Unity addon version? mine is 4.2 from alpha channel.

25. yourpalmark

yourpalmark

Mine just says 4.2. So is there a branch of it that was not included in the release?

26. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

My Mono Soft Debugger Support for Unity is showing version 4.2. I just upgraded this morning to 4.3.

27. atmuc

atmuc

enable alpha channel and use it. mine works fine :)

28. yourpalmark

yourpalmark

Where would you enable that?

29. atmuc

atmuc

30. yourpalmark

yourpalmark

I might be missing something obvious... I had just found that thread and was reading it and still don't see where to add the alpha. I know where the Add-In Manager has the Mono Soft Debugger plugins (that's where I got the version from), but I don't know how to enable the alpha channel.

31. yourpalmark

yourpalmark

Ok, so I clicked on Gallery, pulled the dropdown down and clicked on Manage Repositories. I checked the Alpha Channel and unfortunately it says that it is already installed (Disable is the only option). So there is something off with my install.

32. atmuc

atmuc

i will check again if i see alpha version on installed section or in gallery section. before 4.3 released i installed and tried to debug with Xamarin Studio. it is strange that mine and your friend with fresh install works. I have macports and update all. i also have Xcode with installed all components.

someone get the same bug here on windows;

http://www.cliffordroche.ca/monodevelop-4-xamarin-studio-debugging-in-unity/

maybe you can try Xamarin Studio.

33. aureliocalegari

aureliocalegari

Finally I can debug with 4.3, but now I have a problem with the Profiler:
    - The GPU metrics no longer display after the update and an error message is displayed:
    $Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 10.50.33 pm.png

Anyone else having issues with the Profiler on Unity 4.3, in Mavericks?

Cheers
    Aurelio

34. AndrewK

AndrewK

My issue seems different:
    as soon as I open "Attach to Process" window, MonoDevelop starts using 90% CPU, rainbow pointer is spinning, and I cannot do anything.
    MonoDevelop does not respond. I have to kill the MonoDevelop process to make it back to work.

I had that before and had hope that 4.3 will fix that, but nothing changed.

What is going on?

I have tried use Xamarin Studio, but there is no plugin from alpha channel anymore.
    EDIT: actually there is a extension in Xamarin, and it seems to work perfectly, I am using iOS device debbuging btw.

But in Xamarin I have other issue: Version Control -> Review Solution and Commit is not active, and I cannot use Xamarin to managing my GIT repo :(

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  35. atmuc

atmuc

open scene, close unity. open unity. check your scene is open. attach process.

do not load scene after you open your project.

36. AndrewK

AndrewK

I did not load scene after restarting Unity, but it is loading automaticaly, and MonoDevelop does not work.

37. atmuc

atmuc

use xamarin studio for debugging, use monodevelop for source control :) in fact they are the same but there is a minor version and softdebugger difference

38. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

With Xamarin Studio can you debug with breakpoints and everything?

39. atmuc

atmuc

i use monodevelop that comes with unity 4.3b4. i can debug and see locals values.

40. AndrewK

AndrewK

yes, works as you want, I have only issue with git in Xamarin, but started using SourceTree instead and I am more than happy now

41. pierrickian

pierrickian

Hi,

Yes, it's the problem I encounter since installing OSX Mavericks and that makes me crazy.
    Impossible to follow on my development.
    Have you found how to fix it ?

Bye

42. Engidia_EduardBosch

Engidia_EduardBosch

This solution worked for me. Just go to File > Open > "/PathToYourProject/YourProjectName-csharp.sln".

Thanks chowdy

43. JoeVoxel

JoeVoxel

Answer from the Unity support :

Hi There,

Thanks for the e-mail.

If you are still having these issues with Mavericks on 4.3 then we can only ask that you submit a bug and attempt to revert to a previous version of the Mac OSX.

Let me know if you have any further problems.

Kind regards,
    Ben
    Unity Support

.........so back to lion or leopard.........great

44. pavlito

pavlito

Maybe you should just zip the current iteration of your project and work on the same folder path keeping your .zip files somewhere else?

45. senc01a

senc01a

This doesn't seem to help for me.
    I I do that, then attach MD to the unity editor (in order to debug).
    Then I click on Play in the Unity Editor, and Unity Freezes.
    Using Mavericks 10.9.0 on unity 4.3 (latest release as in Dec 6 2013)

46. atmuc

atmuc

do you use 4.3.1f1 ?

can you try this;
    first click play on unity
    then attach process on MD

47. pneill

pneill

bumping the thread so that others can find all the Unity mac issue threads

Please add your voice and votes to the Unity Issue tracker

48. Darjamfar

Darjamfar

Wonderful ! Thank you chowdy ! I deleted all my backup projects that were lying around after Time machine restores, followed the instructions and my autocomplete is restored. Yay, now for the hell of Maverick freezing.