Search Unity

Monodevelop for Unity with Xamarin studio?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rapidrunner, Aug 18, 2013.

1. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I've realized now that Unity uses it's own version of Monodevelop.

On top of that, the new MD version seems to be called Xamarin studio.

Now this is the deal: I develop mainly on VS (win), in C++ and C#; is there any reason to download Xamarin if I want to use one editor for both my non-Unity projects, and for Unity projects on Mac?

Also when I try to run Xamarin Studio, it asks me to download Mono...which I assumed is already installed with Unity, right?

Should I install the new mono or do I mess up Unity somehow? I don't even know if I need XS and the new mono, since I never started a project on mac and continued it on visual studio (and other way around); I just used MonoDevelop for Unity projects, and VS for the other projects.

Altho I grew tired of this, and would like to use one editor for both, at least on mac (since I spend most of my time on the mac nowadays)

Any clarification would be more than welcome. Thanks!

2. Neogene

Neogene

Xamarin is far better in terms of performances and code complete speed tham monodevelop (2.8 for Unity 4.2) in my opinion.

To enable unity debugging you have to enable inside the plugin area the "alpha channel" to download the plugin which allows to enable "attach to process2.

It doesn' open automatically the project solution so you have to open by yourself the .sln to compile and debug from the editor.

I'm testing in these hours and i like it.

3. gfgruvin

gfgruvin

I want to use Xamarin Studio. Could you explain in detail how to add the plug-in to attach to process? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks

4. Neogene

Neogene