Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Interesting... Script Inspector will be the first Unity extension programmed using itself! ;)

2. DougMcFarlane

DougMcFarlane

3. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

4. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Script Inspector 2.0 beta will be available in a day or two! :cool:

If anyone else is interested to try this, please send me your invoice number, OS and Unity version you plan to be running it on, and I'll get back to you with a link for download. Just note that I may not be able to serve all the requests if I receive too many, so this will be on first-come, first-served basis ;)

5. MatMontre

MatMontre

Hello Flipbookee, good work on the Script Inspector so far, I'm looking forward to the incoming code editing and separate window.

I recently found this masterpiece of essay from Bret Victor about what programming could and should be.
    http://worrydream.com/LearnableProgramming/

Do you think Script Inspector could have what is in the part called "Make Time Tangible"??
    What I have in mind is 2 things:

1) a "deep profile" option for all the variables in the inspected script. Just like the timeline of the Profiler, a simple timeline would provide access to previous frames. When selecting previous frames with a red scrubber just like the Profiler (the game would switch to pause automatically) we would see the value of each variable in the script by hovering the mouse over a variable. This would require that each variable in the script would have its value stored at each frame. (but only as an option, as this would take a bit of memory depending on the size of the script inspected.)
    For this idea alone I would pay 50$. Even MonoDevelop does not provide something that can go back in time!

2) This one is really harder :p Basically it's adding a step-by-step debugger.
    In the section "Make Time Tangible", the 2nd part of the video (with the red scrubber) shows a mix of the idea #1 above and a step-by-step debugger. It's like...a step-by-step debugger that can go back in time.
    The difference with the video would be that when going back in time with the red scrubber, the game would be paused at all time (the simulation would not go back in time, all objects in unity would be frozen).

With that, you could kill MonoDevelop and the Unity Console with 1 stone! :)

Keep up the good work.

6. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks MatMonte! PM me if you'd like to join the beta :)

It would be awesome to have such kind of debugging capability inside Unity. It seems impossible to make a regular debugger integrated in it because once the execution of scripts stops that would also stop the debugger scripts. But these ideas sound very interesting and not impossible if implemented as a "post festum" virtual debugger. I'll definitely consider this in near future! :)

Speaking of "Tangible Time", I must say that I had a similar idea some 4-5 years ago, just that was not for learning programming but for debugging purposes. Unfortunately it wasn't implemented because the company had other priorities, but still the idea is viable and doable in Unity for example! Basically each frame the whole state of the game would be stored in a circular buffer for the last N seconds, so you can play the game until a rare bug you are looking for happens. Once you notice the bug you go back in time just before it happens by scrubbing on that timeline control. Since that rewinds the whole game state everything on the screen would move back which helps you find a particular frame if you were looking for a visual glitch for example. Once you get there you can either inspect properties of the game objects, or attach the debugger, set breakpoints and run the game from that frame. That would either hit your break point or if it was set on a wrong line you can rewind the time again, add some other breakpoints and run the game from that frame again! :D It would be super awesome to have something like that, not only in Unity, but in any other game engine.

7. MatMontre

MatMontre

Damn this would really be the ultimate debugger...rewind time on a little scrubber while in the Game view of Unity all objects also move back in time... :)

But for now, to keep things feasible I was only thinking about making a simple scrubber at the top of the Script Inspector window that would show values of the current inspected script during previous frames by hovering the mouse over them (during which the game would always be paused).

Something like this:
    (BEHOLD, serious Photoshop skillz ahead)

8. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

It's a very interesting idea, and I'll definitely investigate how to implement that... Just let me finish version 2.0 first. ;)

9. nuverian

nuverian

You got a competitor :p

10. MatMontre

MatMontre

Haha well so far I'm more like a client with ambitious feature requests :p

11. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

No, I think he meant this:

SmartStudio - Free script and text viewer inside Unity
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/156513-SmartStudio-Free-script-and-text-viewer-inside-Unity

Its interesting because its offering exactly the same features - except its BETTER and got a free version and the advanced "Pro" version seems to be a dream come true!
    It offers :
    Code completion
    Code refactoring
    Code folding

It also allows you to view and edit variety of file types : eg. .cs, .js, .boo, .txt, .xml, .sql, .json, .txt and the readme file without extension.... etc... something I been saying Script Inspector should have.

Flipbookee now you gotta step-up your game mate! :) Or you will be force out of the market by a superior product.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  12. Novack

Novack

It doesnt offer all that. If you read more carefully, those are announced features to be implemented over time.

Also, it has a three tier version approach, what makes it all a bit over complicated.

I think what its visible in the screenshots, is simply what we got in ScriptInspector time ago, so nothing new, really, except for the limited free version, which is of course the strategy required to insert a product on a niche where you come late.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Wow! Did I start all that fire?

CodeEditor from NinjaCamp was shown just a couple of days after the initial release of Script Inspector:
    http://unity3d.com/ninjacamp/projects/10180

UniIDE was announced about 6 days ago:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/155788-UnIDE-A-Code-Editor-Integrated-Into-Unity

And SmartStudio just a day ago:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/156513-SmartStudio-Free-script-and-text-viewer-inside-Unity

The reason for starting the last two must be the huge popularity of Script Inspector, which was topping the Editor Extensions category for the last month and a half, or maybe even longer, not sure because before that "sort by popularity" was totally broken. Now some people may thought making this kind of asset is a profitable business, but... :) ... Script Inspector has been present on the Asset Store for more than 5 months and I'm still struggling to earn enough for at least one Unity Pro license! :-\

The main reason why I started this project was having fun in my own free time, which I'm not sure might be the case with the SmartStudio because his free version comes compiled in a DLL and heavily obfurscated (good luck with that ;) ), and certainly not with UniIDE as Kurt's planning to sell it for 5-10 times higher price than Script Inspector. Now all that's fine for me :) I'll always be about 5 months ahead of them :p at least until I give up and open-source it.

Anyway, in about half an hour I'll be uploading the first Script Inspector 2.0 beta 1 for those who expressed interest to see it. If anyone else is interested please PM me now :cool:

14. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I just updated ScriptInspector and it seems to have a new annoying behavior. I use Visual Studio as my editor, and with the new version, if a script is open in ScriptInspector, it won't let me save changes in Visual Studio until I deselect the script in Unity ("Please check to see if the file is open in another process" error). This is a problem because I'm always opening scripts by double-clicking them, which means it's pretty much always the same script that's selected in Unity/ScriptInspector and Visual Studio. Can you change it back so that it doesn't hold the write file handle open on the file?

15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ok, this just freaked me out :) I went to the Asset Store, downloaded the latest and tested it just now... Nothing like that happens here! Please, click the wrench icon on Script Inspector next to its search box, and choose About. Is your version 1.4.2? The last bug of that kind was fixed in 1.4.1 so if you have the latest version it should just work. Please check and let me know, ok? Thanks!

16. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey makeshiftwings, I tried to contact you in this thread two days ago and also via PM yesterday, but I haven't heard anything from you yet. Shall I assume you fixed the issue already? It might be a script error somewhere else in your project that prevented importing the new version :-S ... Anyway, please let me know, ok?

17. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Hi, I just replied to your PM. The notification for getting PM's is so tiny I always miss them. :B

But it appears to be working now. As you said, it might have been because I had updated ScriptInspector while files were open and hadn't restarted Unity; I don't really recall. It's working perfectly now though. Thanks! Sorry for the scare. ;)

18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey folks, did you get a chance to compare Script Inspector with SmartStudio Free? I'd love to hear what you think about these two ;)

19. nuverian

nuverian

I didnt have the time to extensively test both. I will have tomorrow though, and let you know how I feel about both here ;-)

20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Any news on this?

I gave it a try myself, but I thought it wouldn't be nice if I post the comparison, may be too much biased :p

21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

A quick Script Inspector 2.0 progress update:

Scripts can now be viewed and edited in dedicated tabs/windows, and not only in the inspector tab as it was before! The same script can be shown simultaneously in multiple tabs and inspectors, and each of them can be arranged in Unity Editor using its native tabs layout system. Script tabs are persistent across sessions, so you can always continue scripting where you stopped last day. When the same script is open in multiple view, changes made in any of those are reflected in other views immediately. All changes are automatically saved before entering game mode.

Thanks to all who were testing Beta 1! Now, Script Inspector 2.0 Beta 2 will be available soon, after polishing a couple of corner cases... Let me know if you'd like to get a copy ;)

22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hmm... Is someone going to find useful the ability to undo changes made in a script in the previous Unity session? Or, how about undoing changes made by another member of your team?

23. Novack

Novack

Hey that would be awesome. Im thinking of a "History" window, as the photo editing programs have.
    Sometimes is not the need to go back, as the need to know where, who, and what, what makes a change log so useful.

24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ok, after thinking a little longer about this idea I must admit it wasn't the brightest one :p Undoing changes made by others should be better done using source control, and diff/merge applications. The ability to pull change lists for comparison or experimenting right inside your code editor might come as a handy feature, but that was not my point really... I asked because I may be able to offer undo/redo across sessions (not sure if Sublime Text 2 can maybe do that?), almost with no extra coding. Now I see, I'd have to limit that up to the point where the scripts get modified outside of Unity, either in an external editor or by taking a new version from source control.

25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Script Inspector 2.0 beta 2 sent out :cool: Let me know if you want to get a copy :)

26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Script Inspector's initial price of $10 was set to match the amount of work it took to produce the initial version, which was just a couple of weeks of work initially. Even though I was adding more and more functionality and improvements I kept the price that low so far, and I even participated in the Asset Store Madness with a price of only $5! I'm sure many of you already took that advantage and I'm grateful to all of you who were supporting this project so far.

Now given that it took every bit of my free time for the last 5 months to get to version 2.0 I would like to raise the price to $25, which I believe will be still affordable to most of the Unity users and still low enough for the amount of features and quality it offers. In its current state 2.0 beta version counts more than 4000 lines of code which is 4 times more than the initial version!

Of course, all current users will be getting all future updates for free ;) while those who were considering the Script Inspector as an option should definitely try to purchase it now, while it's still dead cheap, and then get the free update once it's released.

Please note that Script Inspector is licensed per seat, so if your teammates also like and enjoy the Script Inspector, now it's the best time for them to buy additional licenses.

Thanks! :cool:

27. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I've bought this one and I like it. Full featured IDEs inside Unity is not really a good deal to me.

28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks BrUnO! Don't worry, the upcoming editing functionality will be absolutely optional, edit your scripts wherever you like, either inside Unity or in an external IDE. Script Inspector will always recognize external changes and reload, or if you have made any changes inside Unity as well it will ask which one you like to keep. Still you may find it very useful for fixing little compile errors caused by typos or missing parentheses...

29. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Please, do not use Resources folder for editor graphics; your images are being built into the player.
    Use 'Editor Default Resources' instead.

30. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Oh really? They get built in the player even from Editor/Resources folder? I understood that Unity ignores everything inside the Editor folders while building a player, and also that it finds intelligently dependencies from the selected scenes to include only the assets which are actually used in those scenes. I'll investigate that ASAP, and I'll appreciate if anyone can point me to a good place that explains this.

31. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

In fact I didn't look to see if they were inside an Editor folder, I was just searching for 'Resources' folder, but my impression is Unity still adds these files because I've removed lots of files from these Resources from packs from the Asset Store and build size dropped from 800+ to around 200mb.
    Would yes need further investigation. Maybe you are right, I dunno.

32. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey Bruno, you were right, everything under Editor/Resources goes into the final build! Which is a little bit weird and crazy, and I'm really surprised that anything from inside the Editor folder is allowed to go into the player build. But this one is a great find as it seems that many publishers are not aware of it. I'm already changing both the Script Inspector and the Favorites Tab and moving their editor resources into Editor Default Resources. Too bad that it must be located in the root and I can't keep the whole extension in one single folder anymore.

Thanks for the heads up!

33. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

The problem with 'Editor Default Resources' location I've solved for closed source tools like the free Hyperview; I embed all images inside the dll and use reflection to grab the namespace and load the image from inside that dll.
    But for open projects maybe you can hardcode a /path relative to where your script is, you can check the full file name using the MonoScript class, this is just a bit different than simply usin Resources.Load().

34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Yes, a hardcoded relative path to where the script is seemed to me to be a much better solution than using 'Editor Default Resources', so I decided to go for that. But I wasn't able to find any example doing that, so I had to did through docs and experiment a little, so I thought I could share that as a code snippet and help others with similar needs:

This is how to find the path of a script (assuming it implements a class that derives from ScriptableObject and that 'this' is an object instance of that class):

Code (csharp):
    1.     MonoScript thisScript = MonoScript.FromScriptableObject(this);
    2.     string thisScriptPath = System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(thisScript));
    In my case I had to find this path in static function, so I modified this code like the following (replace MyClass with your class name):

Code (csharp):
    1.     MyClass tempInstance = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<MyClass>();
    2.     MonoScript thisScript = MonoScript.FromScriptableObject(tempInstance);
    3.     ScriptableObject.DestroyImmediate(tempInstance);
    4.     tempInstance = null;
    5.     string thisScriptPath = System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(thisScript));
    Once you get the path of the script it's easy to build the path to the resource you want to load :cool: but the hard part was how to build a package for existing users that would be updating to that newer version! I tried to just move the assets from my Editor/Resources folder to a new location, but after exporting the package and importing it over the previous version none of those assets was moved actually, and they were all missing at the new location! I even tried to change the assets to make Unity see them as modified, but that didn't help. One option was to ask users to delete the old version before updating, but there's no such option in Unity that would display that as a message to users, so I cannot be sure users would do that. Another option was to look for the assets in the old location as a fallback if loading for the new location fails, but that that wouldn't solve anything until someone moves the assets to the new location... So I decided to move the assets automatically as part of that fallback mechanism, so that at the first execution, right after the update, they will all get moved to the new location :) Simply use:

Code (csharp):
    1. AssetDatabase.MoveAsset(oldPath, newPath);
    I hope this may help someone ;)

35. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Thanks for the useful info. Now that we're starting to work on creating our own tools for our games, I was wondering how to handle images and such.

36. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

So, how's that v2.0 coming along? :D
    Any news?

37. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I'm planning to get the first release candidate of Script Inspector v2.0 done in about one week. It already has all the features I was planning to add for this version, and only a couple of bugs are left to fix. Then it depends on how the final testing will go. The current version 1.4.2 is extremely stable and polished so I cannot afford releasing v2.0 with lower quality and risk getting bad reviews or disappointed customers. The two beta versions distributed so far were very helpful and I've received excellent feedback from some of the testers (many thanks for that guys)! Development was a little slow during December because I had to finish my project at work, but now it goes very smooth again :) It may go even faster if more people join the beta and help me hunt bugs in the RC, if any, so feel free to PM me if you are interested.

38. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Awesome sauce! I will wait for the final version :)

39. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey my Unity Friends, I got a chance to play a little bit with UnIDE, so I thought you might be interested to hear about my first impressions with it.

First thing I tested was to see what happens on quitting the Editor and on loading another project with some unsaved changes in the scripts. Well, all changes were gone in both cases and lost without any warning! Such thing would never happen with the Script Inspector :cool: so your work will always stay safe.

Next thing to check was the Undo/Redo feature. Well, Redo didn't work at all, so beware, using Undo in UnIDE repeatedly is another great way to lose your precious work forever! Undo was working more or less, but not as we're used to that in other IDE's: undoing changes doesn't go back to the "saved" state of the script, and all changes made anywhere in Unity are sharing the same undo buffer, so if you change a property of a game object after editing the script you'll have to first undo that property change and then undo the script changes. Of course, there are no such issues with the Script Inspector, ;) Undo and Redo are both working great in it, and as you would expect from a top quality tool.

In the next half an hour I discovered a surprising amount of bugs such as throwing random exceptions and UnIDE remaining empty and unresponsive, infinite loops forcing me to kill Unity through Task Manager, some error messages popping up, cursor going outside of the view or behind its own popup windows (really annoying), blinking cursor when it doesn't have the input focus so you'll often end up typing somewhere else or sometimes you'll see two blinking cursors, one in the code editor and another one somewhere else :confused:, drag selections being stuck to the mouse even after releasing the button, etc, etc... (not in my interest to reveal everything I've found ;))

So the long story short, my overall impression was really encouraging regarding the future of Script Inspector. By quality, speed, stability, usability, and even visual design it stand out way above the competition! Version 2 release candidate will be available this week for anyone interested to preview it, and hopefully will get released a week later. So stay tuned ;)

40. The-Ant-Ranch

The-Ant-Ranch

I have this plugin from the asset store, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it work as a script editor, even without auto-complete.

TBH, as I am familiar enough with the Unity API, simply a working text editor (C#, JS TXT files) along with the existing capabilities would be enough for me to buy an upgrade.

Any additional functionality can come later in an update, if at all.

41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, as I promised this will be a free update (via Asset Store) for all of you who supported this project till now. I was planning to increase the price to $25 for future purchases only...

Now if you still have those extra $15 and you want to support my work I'd suggest you to spend them on something really nice ;) the Favorites Tab, and save yourself lots of time. Expect to meet very similar high quality work there as in the Script Inspector! :cool:

42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Bravo, Alex Solo! You're a hero!!! :)

Well, I warned you guys, $50 is a rip off for so many bugs at one single place. But it comes cheap per single bug when you divide :p :p :p

Seriously guys, how could you post those other reviews? Don't you check the product first? For example Script Inspector got one 4 star angry review for leaking a couple of 1 pixel textures (which Unity was finding and releasing them anyway)! :-S

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Ok, now there are only 2 minor issues left. Fixing them shouldn't take longer than two-three hours, so this would be my final call if anyone else is interested to try the Script Inspector 2.0 Release Candidate. It will be distributed tomorrow :D

44. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey my Unity friends, I've got some awesome news and just couldn't resist to not share it with you :cool:

Script Inspector 2 RC is done and distributed to some kind people for testing. If everything goes well now the new Script Inspector 2 may hit the Asset Store next week. :D

But that was not the awesome news, he, he ;) ... Here it is: A couple of days ago I got a cool idea about how to extend the Script Inspector with debugging capabilities, but I was too busy to work on that. So just now I did a small test to check the concept, and guess what? It worked!!! :D You can't even imagine the expression on my face now!!! :D

45. Novack

Novack

Awesome... O.O

46. crafTDev

crafTDev

Tested the new version today. One word: Awesome! :-O

47. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks jrDev! :) I did some minor improvements since then, and I think it's ready for the big release now. What do you think?

I'm holding the release now only because I was waiting for some feedback from you guys! If someone else had some time to try the RC please let me know so I can submit this and move on with the other planned features...

48. Venged

Venged

I bought this asset a while back. Will this release have debugging in it similar to UnIDE?

Thanks

49. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I have been testing this and so far I'm impressed.

ScriptInspector2 (SI2) is:
    Working
    Stable
    Readable
    Functional
    Seamless
    Integrated
    Pretty (well, it has a color scheme of mine, so hey...)

In general, this is a great product that fits seamlessly into the editor.

I have tested this on 3 small projects and found I don't really miss MonoDevelop at all. I don't miss SublimeText that much either!

There are some nice features:
    - Control over look and feel with color schemes (which you can customize yourself if you want to) and multiple typefaces to choose from.
    - It sits seamlessly in the editor, allowing you to use the inspector or open scripts in their own proprietary tabs..
    - You can have your scripts displayed in tabs, in their own window, together in a window side by side. SI2 uses the Unity Editor UI well, and you can move and dock your SI2 tabs like any other window or view in Unity.
    - You can choose whether you want to follow an error or warning directly to an SI2 tab or into your linked IDE.
    - Find, Undo/Redo, Copy/Paste, Toggle Comments and other features are supported.
    - SI2 remembers your indent depth when creating a new line.
    - SI2 seems to keep track of my scripts better than I do, and has always warned me if there are unsaved changes - giving me the choice to save, ignore or even keep the changes for later, if I choose to.
    - Increase/Decrease indents and more in a context menu (hot keys coming?)

To be fair: There are some things I'd like to see in future versions - like Code Completion (I notice missing this). Find/Replace in addition to Find (which *is* supported) is important. Bracket Completion, Smart Indent levels, searching the Unity Docs and Debugging would be great sugar. On the other hand, I got through Unity 1.x and 2.x without any of these, and even SublimeText is light on proper completion.

Compared to MD, this is a dream, all things considering.

So far, since installing it, I have not used another code editor.

[edit]

And the Unity Package must go into ~/Applications/Unity/Standard Packages on OSX so you can have it available in the New Project Wizard when you get started!

[/edit]

50. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

Basedto Little Angel's review, i really like to have it even if its beta or rc. I'm developing really big project and that would really help me while writing small scripts.

How can I have it? Do you need my invoice?