Search Unity

SmartStudio - Free script and text viewer inside Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by marceloroca, Oct 29, 2012.

1. marceloroca

marceloroca

Download from the Asset Store

I'm working in an Editor Extension for editing text and script files inside Unity.

It will be initially available in two editions, a free edition for viewing the files with syntax highlighting, and a paid version that allows you to open the file in a new window for editing.

This component is being reviewed in the Unity Asset Store for publication this week hopefully.

SmartStudio for Unity 3.5
    Version 1.3 (Beta), October 2012
    Copyright © 2012, Marcelo Roca
    -----------------------------------------------

SmartStudio are a number of tools to view and edit text files, scripts, XML and SQL without having to leave Unity, using the characteristics of the most common market IDE, such as syntax highlighting, code folding.

Features Standard Edition:
    • Cost: 10$
    • View files in Inspector
    • Line numbering
    • Syntax highlighting
    • Basic Navigation, selection, copy to clipboard
    • Open file in dedicate editor window (inside Unity)
    • Search box
    • Unity script help F1 (new)
    • Code Folding (new)
    • Theme Editor (new)
    • Automatic backups (new)
    • Todo list editor (new)
    • Unlimited Undo/Redo (in development)

Free Edition:
    • Cost: Free
    • All the Standard Edition features but Save button disabled

I decided to remove the pro version. My intention is to have a good enough editor to edit a few simple things in Unity, without having to open a heavy editor like Visual Studio or Mono Develop, keeping the cost as low as possible to make it attractive for most people. For day to day is best to use an advanced editor like Visual Studio.

Some of the features that were planned for the Pro version have already been incorporated in the Standard Edition. The other will not be implemented.

Known Issues:
    • Undo/Redo are not implemented
    • Syntax highlighting for multiline comments and strings are not updated in realtime.
    • All these issues will be solved the in the next weeks

Known limitations:
    • Some key combinations can't be implemented: Ctrl+Z (undo), Ctrl+S (save)
    • Key AltGr can't be used
    • Unity 4 is not supported now, but will be supported in the near future

Beta Testing
    This is an officially released version of a SmartStudio which includes most of the product's functionality.

Please note that a beta version is NOT the final version of the product and therefore the developer does not guarantee an absence of errors that may disrupt the computer's operation and/or result in data loss.

Consequently, beta testers use the beta version at their own risk and the developer bears no responsibility for any consequences arising out of the use of the beta version.

Shorcut Keys: (http://www.dofactory.com/ShortCutKeys/ShortCutKeys.aspx)

GENERAL:
    • Ctrl-X Cuts all selected lines or the current line if nothing has been selected to the clipboard
    • Ctrl-C Copies the currently selected item to the clipboard
    • Ctrl-V Pastes the item in the clipboard at the cursor
    • Alt-Backspace Undo previous editing action (1)(2)
    • Ctrl-YRedo the previous undo action (1)
    • Esc Closes a menu or dialog, cancels an operation in progress, clear selection, or places focus in the current document window
    • Alt-S Saves the selected files in the current project (usually the file that is being edited) (3)

TEXT NAVIGATION:
    • Left Arrow Moves the cursor one character to the left
    • Right Arrow Moves the cursor one character to the right
    • Down Arrow Moves the cursor down one line
    • Up Arrow Moves the cursor up one line
    • Page Down Scrolls down one screen in the editor window
    • Page Up Scrolls up one screen in the editor window
    • End Moves the cursor to the end of the current line
    • Home Moves the cursor to the beginning of the line. If you press Home when the cursor is already at the start of the line, it will toggle the cursor between the first non-whitespace character and the real start of the line(1)
    • Ctrl-End Moves the cursor to the end of the document
    • Ctrl-Home Moves the cursor to the start of the document
    • Ctrl-G Displays the Go to Line dialog. (1)
    • Ctrl-] Moves the cursor to the matching brace in the document. If the cursor is on an opening brace, this will move to the corresponding closing brace and vice versa (1)
    • Ctrl-Down Arrow Scrolls text down one line but does not move the cursor. This is useful for scrolling more text into view without losing your place. Available only in text editors
    • Ctrl-Up Arrow Scrolls text up one line but does not move the cursor.
    • Ctrl-Right Arrow Moves the cursor one word to the right (1)
    • Ctrl-Left Arrow Moves the cursor one word to the left (1)

TEXT MANIPULATION
    • Enter Inserts a new line
    • Delete Deletes one character to the right of the cursor
    • Insert Toggles between insert and overtype insertion modes (1)
    • Tab Indents the currently selected line or lines by onetab stop. If there is no selection, this inserts a tab stop (1)
    • Shift-Tab Moves current line or selected lines one tab stop to the left (1)
    • Backspace Deletes one character to the left of the cursor
    • Ctrl-K+Ctrl-C Marks the current line or selected lines of code as a comment (1)
    • Ctrl-K+Ctrl-U Removes the comment syntax from the current line or currently selected lines of code (1)
    • Ctrl-T or Shift-Enter Swaps the characters on either side of the cursor. (For example, AC|BD becomes AB|CD.) (1)
    • Ctrl-Enter Inserts a blank line above the cursor (1)
    • Ctrl-Shift-Enter Inserts a blank line below the cursor (1)
    • Ctrl-R, Ctrl-W Shows or hides spaces and tab marks (1)
    • Ctrl-Delete Deletes the word to the right of the cursor (1)
    • Ctrl-Backspace Deletes the word to the left of the cursor (1)

TEXT SELECTION
    • Shift-Left Arrow Moves the cursor to the left one character, extending the selection
    • Shift-Alt-Left Arrow Moves the cursor to the left one character, extending the column selection (1)
    • Shift-Right Arrow Moves the cursor to the right one character, extending the selection
    • Shift-Alt-Right Arrow Moves the cursor to the right one character, extending the column selection(1)
    • Ctrl-Shift-End Moves the cursor to the end of the document, extending the selection
    • Ctrl-Shift-Home Moves the cursor to the start of the document, extending the selection
    • Ctrl-Shift-] Moves the cursor to the next brace, extending the selection (1)
    • Shift-Down Arrow Moves the cursor down one line, extending the selection (1)
    • Shift-Alt-Down Arrow Moves the cursor down one line, extending the column selection (1)
    • Shift-End[/B Moves the cursor to the end of the current line, extending the selection
      [*]Shift-Alt-End Moves the cursor to the end of the line, extending the column selection (1)
      [*]Shift-Home Moves the cursor to the start of the line, extending the selection
      [*]Shift-Alt-Home Moves the cursor to the start of the line, extending the column selection (1)
      [*]Shift-Up Arrow Moves the cursor up one line, extending the selection
      [*]Shift-Alt-Up Arrow Moves the cursor up one line, extending the column selection (1)
      [*]Shift-Page Down Extends selection down one page
      [*]Shift-Page Up Extends selection up one page
      [*]Ctrl-A Selects everything in the current document
      [*]Ctrl-W Selects the word containing the cursor or the word to the right of the cursor (1)
      [*]Ctrl-Shift-Page Down Moves the cursor to the last line in view, extending the selection
      [*]Ctrl-Shift-Page Up Moves the cursor to the top of the current window, extending the selection
      [*]Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Right Arrow Moves the cursor to the right one word, extending the column selection
      [*]Ctrl-Shift-Left Arrow Moves the cursor one word to the left, extending the selection (1)
      [*]Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Left Arrow Moves the cursor to the left one word, extending the column selection (1)

SEARCH AND REPLACE
    • Ctrl-F Displays the Find dialog (1)
    • F3 Finds the next occurrence of the previous search text (1)
    • Ctrl-F3 Finds the next occurrence of the currently selected text or the word under the cursor if there is no selection (1)
    • Shift-F3 Finds the previous occurrence of the search text (1)
    • Ctrl-Shift-F3 Finds the previous occurrence of the currently selected text or the word under the cursor (1)

HELP
    • F1 Help will try to display a topic relevant to the text under the cursor

(1) These features will be gradually implemented in the future sub-versions.
    (2) Ctrl-Z can not be used for Undo. Will be used only the alternative Alt-Backspace
    (3) Ctrl-S and Ctrl-Shift-S can not be used for Save. Will be used Alt-S

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Wow, sounds great! So what's the ETA for PRO edition? And how much?
    And can you show a screenshot? I can't access Unity at the moment.

3. marceloroca

marceloroca

The PRO is estimated to be on beta the middle of January 2013 (In case the Mayans are Wrong ;) ), I don't have the price now but I think will be in the range of 20-30 $. The Basic owners will have an Upgrade price to that version.

The free and basic editios are under review by Unity Asset Store.

With the free edition you can test all the Basic features.

These are some screen shoots from the Basic version:

4. nuverian

nuverian

In the provided free edittion there are some issues with TAB and CTRL+C CTRL+V. After the second TAB window lose focus. And I have to do CTRL+C twice to actually cope the text. Furthermore, ENTER sometime counts for 2 ENTERs..Im not complaining here. Just giving feeback.

Plus, I wonder SmartStudio or ScriptInspector 2.0. Nice race :)

5. marceloroca

marceloroca

Thanks, I solved all observations except the TAB key, which I'm working on now. When ready I will upload the new version.

6. marceloroca

marceloroca

I updated the program, you can download the link in the first post.

Fixed bugs:
    Ctrl-LeftArrow, Ctrl-RighArrow, Tab, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-F

Found bugs (all these bugs will be resolved today):
    • Ctrl-UpArrow, Ctrl-DownArrow
    • Editing text line remove highlighting from the next line
    • sometimes does not display the last line

7. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

What kind of file or what type of files can you open with this?

8. marceloroca

marceloroca

any type of text file, but for now I'm filtering the following extensions: .cs, .js, .boo, .txt, .xml, .sql, .json, .txt; and the readme file without extension

I'm only highlighting the script files, but in the near future will be implemented the xml, json and sql

Now I'm programming editor settings that allow the user to define the colors of the interface and add new types of files you can edit

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  9. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Awesome! This is on the top of my buy-list. I will be waiting for your PRO version eagerly :)

10. marceloroca

marceloroca

Uploaded a new version with a preview of the free code folding (not working for editing), will be included in the free and basic version (The same link from the first post).

Now you can open an edit the selected file on a new window. Save button is disabled (this is available in the Basic version).

Another new feature is the F1 key (help) if you press F1 key over a word the Unity script reference page is open.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. marceloroca

marceloroca

New feature implemented Theme Editor:

• You can duplicate, delete themes directly in the project window. The theme data is in a file that you can share with any.
    • The theme file have their own custom inspector to edit and save
    • The editor is WYSWYG, if you change the color value, you see the change in realtime in the test panel (in the left)

This feature will be included in the free and basic version.

The next and last feature in version 1 will be saving backups of modified files. The editor will have a combobox (order by date) to select the version you want to see. You can open in readonly and have saveas button or replace current version. This feature will be only for basic version.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  12. marceloroca

marceloroca

The new version has been upated in the first post as attachment. Now you can create new themes, and share here if you want.

13. marceloroca

marceloroca

The backup / restore has implemented. You can download the new version from the first post.

I want to add a new feature to the list, a simple todo-list. This feature was planned for the Pro edition, but as this is canceled, I'm given in the basic version.

The SmartStudio Free has published in the Asset Store (but is the version 1.2). The final 1.3 version will be upload the next week with all the new features and the Todo-List editor.

Please feel free to make any recommendations or comments to this project.

14. kdbguy

kdbguy

This sounds great! Will the PRO version have intellisense?

15. marceloroca

marceloroca

The Professional version and Basic version have been merged in the Standard version.

In the first post was updated features that have these two versions.

Responding specifically to your question about intellisense, this is not available in the standard version, no code refactoring and code navigation.

The decision on this is also explained in the first post. But basically I do not want to increase the cost of this component. My intention is that it has the lowest possible price, and you have the basic tools you need when developing in Unity. Increase the features that were in the PRO version would involve at least a month of development and never be compared to a Visual Studio, and prefer to use that time to integrate other useful components, such as the editor TODO editor sold in the Asset Store between $ 5 and $ 10 and which I developed and incorporated in the list of tools SmartStudio.

16. JeffAU

JeffAU

Heya

I'm having trouble saving. I create a new javascript file, select it under the Project tab, it appears in the Smart Studio inspector, I can't edit it from the inspector so I click the open button and it pops up in a new window, I can edit it from there but when I close or try Alt-S it doesn't seem to save.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks

17. marceloroca

marceloroca

You are doing exactly as it should do (click open button and edit in the new file), but unfortunately the version in this forum and in the Asset Store is the Free Edition. This version does not allow saving files :(.

The Standard Edition and will be available in the Asset Store the next week ;).

In the first post includes features of both editions, but in summary the free edition includes all the features of the standard version with the exception that you can not save changes.

Thank you very much for your interest.

Any doubts or questions, please feel free to re-post in this forum.

Thank you.

18. marceloroca

marceloroca

The to-do editor has done, this tool has planed for the PRO version but will be included in the SmartStudio Standard (the Free version will have save button disabled)

The script editor has almost done, but I'm still fighting with some bugs.

Some screenshots:

19. marceloroca

marceloroca

New beta has been uploaded in the first post, includes:

• Lot internal changes to support code folding.
    • Menu for Theme and To-do file creation.
    • To-do editor

Please if you have some time test this product and tell me what you think.

If you found some problems, errors or bad behaviours in this product, please report in this forum or PM me.

The more helpful users will have a standard version.

Thanks for your help.

20. marceloroca

marceloroca

Version 1.3 released in the Asset Store

21. dsfds

dsfds

"SmartStudioObjectInspector.cs(6,43): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `MarceloRoca' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?"

I got this error, for Both Free (1.3), and Standard version (1.3).

22. Muckel

Muckel

looks Windows only...
    does it also work on Mac for Mobile Development ?

23. MattMaker

MattMaker

For me, this happened because I was managing the project with 'git' and SmartStudio's dll files are inside a folder that is, perhaps unwisely, named 'Bin'. Thus, it was excluded from my project, leading to the error you mention.