Search Unity

Zone Controller Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JohnRossitter, Jan 18, 2016.

1. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

I was having some performance issues with it and decided to pull it for now while i address them.
    It will be back once I have them resolved, but I didn't think it was fair to leave it up while it had these issues.

Thanks,

Nateply and Arganth like this.
  2. CplMulder

CplMulder

Thanks for that reply, was also wondering what happened... I only bought it 3 weeks ago and not able to use it yet as I have another issue with it.... any estimated timeline on it being brought back?

JohnRossitter and Arganth like this.
  3. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Im going to try to have it re-submitted back again this weekend. We shall see how that goes.

CplMulder likes this.
  4. CplMulder

CplMulder

Awesome thanks John.... also where is best to contact you about Materialiser? (I sem to have bought a few of your assets in the last week or two) :)

5. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

CplMulder likes this.
  6. MrIconic

MrIconic

I was wondering this same thing. Thanks for the info.

7. SammmZ

SammmZ

Checked the forum but don't find the answer so i write it here.

Fresh install of Zone Controller Free give me an error
    Code (CSharp):
    2. LoadAssetAtPath is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'ZoneMasterControllerEditor'.
    3. See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
    4. UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility:Load(String)
    5. ZoneMasterControllerEditor:.ctor()
    So they changed something in the Unity 5.4 again and the assets needs to be adjusted to the new unity version. Did I understand right that I will not have this error in the Pro version? And is it possible to fix it before I'll switch to the pro version?

JohnRossitter likes this.
  8. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

No, I have not made an update to the free version for 5.4 yet.

9. davidjfranco

davidjfranco

Hey John, great product. One question.. I'm getting an error.

2 things

1) Does a listener have to be set? it says to specify a game object but nothing in the manual on it?

2) error I'm getting when entering a zone. (I'm just triggering a few camera floats)
    ArgumentException: Set Method not found for 'IsActive'
    System.Reflection.MonoProperty.SetValue (System.Object obj, System.Object value, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] index, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoProperty.cs:319)
    System.Reflection.PropertyInfo.SetValue (System.Object obj, System.Object value, System.Object[] index) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/PropertyInfo.cs:102)
    ZoneMasterController.UpdateAsTime () (at Assets/UtopiaWorx/Zone Controller Pro/Required/Scripts/ZoneMasterController.cs:2332)
    ZoneMasterController.Update () (at Assets/UtopiaWorx/Zone Controller Pro/Required/Scripts/ZoneMasterController.cs:1062)

thanks

10. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Hi there,

Thanks for the purchase!
    This sounds like something I will need to take a look at.
    If you use Skype, join me on my live support channel and we can do a screen share session.
    https://join.skype.com/Cb69olXJbDTo

Otherwise, we can setup a team viewer session and I can look.

Thanks,
    John

11. mwituni

mwituni

Hi John,

I purchased the pro version some time ago, but cannot install it.

Do you have an older version that will run with pre 4.4 Unity? Not sure if / when we'll upgrade, we're on 5.2.3p3.

Most asset devs submit a few versions to help those with older versions. Its a good idea as it expands your market ... only a small percentage are at the bleeding edge, most tend to use (stable) versions that are supported by their chosen assets.

12. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

No sadly I really don't.
    There are some UI features in it which make heavy use of unity editor references and it just would not work properly without those. I'm sorry for that. It's probably too late to issue you a refund if you purchased it a long time ago, but send me a PM and I'll hook you up with some vouchers for the trouble :)

13. mwituni

mwituni

Sorry - my mistake I meant pre 5.4 not 4.4, and thanks for helping on skype with older version.

14. zmaxz

zmaxz

Hi~~
    Zone Controller Pro can`t works with unity5.5.0f3
    get some errors .
    zoneErrors.jpg

15. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Hi yes, I have seen this.
    Unity changed some stuff in the editor.
    Send me your email address in a private message and I can send you an update.
    Thanks,
    John

16. zmaxz

zmaxz

I`ve sent you a PM.
    Thanks!!

17. Cyber_2016

Cyber_2016

Hello, Ya I'd sure like the new update also... I have the Zone Controller Pro & using Unity version 5.5.2
    Ty! :D

18. Weblox

Weblox

Hi, I like to update also. I'm on Unity 5.5.1.f1. Thanks a lot. ;)

19. gio_987654321

gio_987654321

Hello
    Ive just bought your asset . Seems very very good and interesting.

I ve got a question . Soorry because im newbie in Unity .

I would like to know wif its possible to simply activate or deactivate a whole game object .

My goal is to optimize my scene with activate deactivation a portion of scene (rooted to a empty Game object ) .I would like to activate this portion of scene when i enter in a specific zone .

i hope im clear on my explanation ...

Unfortunally i can activate/deactivate just rendering for one object but not for a portion of scene in same time . or maybe ive missed something ...
    many thanks for your light ..

GiO

20. Gerwald-Radsma

Gerwald-Radsma

Yes Id like an update myself, running the latest version of unity with zone controller pro.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Gerwald

21. mwituni

mwituni

Yes, add a new proxy gameObject, drop this script into it...

Code (CSharp):
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    6. public class ZoneActivateGameObject : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    9.     [SerializeField]
    10.     public GameObject TheGameObject;
    12.     public void Enable()
    13.     {
    14.         TheGameObject.SetActive(true);
    15.     }
    17.     public void Disable()
    18.     {
    19.         TheGameObject.SetActive(false);
    20.     }
    21. }
    In the editor, set 'The Game Object' to the GO you want to control.

Then add the new proxy GO to ZC, and you can set enter and exit to enable etc

... you wouldn't be able to enable/disable the original gameobject ... because when its disabled its dead ... so no way to grab hold of it. So the proxy "stays alive" to do that.

22. mwituni

mwituni

Hi John,

I'm busy upgrading to Unity 2017 and it seems ZC Pro might not be working - seeing "The associated script cannot be loaded" errors.

Have you managed to test it yet on 2017 ?

Thanks

23. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Hi there,

Can you give me the exact error?
    With line numbers?

24. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

I just tested the package from the store with 2017 and it works flawlessly

Weblox likes this.
  25. zmaxz

zmaxz

Hi~~
    I get this errors when i into the zone !!
    unity 5.6.3p3
    zoneError01.jpg

26. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Hi,
    Can you give me some context?
    Is this a demo scene, your own scene?
    What is the zone setup?

The error you have given indicates that the class you are trying to control does not derive from Mono Behaviour/

27. zmaxz

zmaxz

In your demo scene "Cinematic",
    I create a sphere and new zone ,
    I just want to close sphere when i into the zone ,but can`t work and get errors.
    (Maybe i do something wrong)

28. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

What properties of the Sphere are you trying to specifically control?
    Did you register the Shpere in the Zone and actually select properties to control?

29. zmaxz

zmaxz

This is my setting .
    zoneError02.jpg

30. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

From what I can see, it looks like it should work fine.
    Can you experiment with different properties on the Sphere?

31. zmaxz

zmaxz

It can`t works well with any "Active Bool" .

32. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

So the issue is directly related to that single property on the Sphere, the others work fine?

33. byCDW

byCDW

I just tried to use the free version but I get a bunch of errors. Is it incompatible with Unity 2017.2.0f3?

34. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

I have not tried it in that version, so I cant say for sure,
    What are the errors?

35. jason07

jason07

I'm testing out the free version too before I get the Pro version and I get a bunch of errors as well on 2017 2.0f3. The Zone Config script is checked on in the Inspector, but nothing shows up in the panel.

Here are the errors:
    GetBool is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'ZoneConfigEditor'.
    See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
    UnityEditor.EditorPrefs:GetBool(String, Boolean)
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.Configuration.GlobalConfiguration:get_SendConsoleToVisualStudio()
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.Configuration.ActiveConfiguration:get_SendConsoleToVisualStudio()
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.VisualStudioIntegration:OnLog(String, String, LogType)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility:Load(String)
    ZoneConfigEditor:.ctor()

LoadAssetAtPath is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'ZoneConfigEditor'.
    ZoneConfigEditor:.ctor()

GetBool is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'ZoneControllerEditor'.
    UnityEditor.EditorPrefs:GetBool(String, Boolean)
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.Configuration.GlobalConfiguration:get_SendConsoleToVisualStudio()
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.Configuration.ActiveConfiguration:get_SendConsoleToVisualStudio()
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.VisualStudioIntegration:OnLog(String, String, LogType)

LoadAssetAtPath is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'ZoneControllerEditor'.
    ZoneControllerEditor:.ctor()

Then there are a bunch of NullReferenceExceptions like the one below:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ZoneConfigEditor.OnInspectorGUI ()
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1240)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    ZoneControllerEditor:.ctor()

36. fancyferret

fancyferret

I've been looking at getting this asset a while now and was about to purchase it but saw some errors discussed here.

I tried the demo and am getting those same errors above that jason07 is getting when adding a new zone to a scene. This occurs in 2017.2.0f3 and 2017.1.0b6.

37. ocimpean

ocimpean

So what version of Unity is working good with the free version so I can test it without errors?

38. secondsight_

secondsight_

Hey,
    Great asset, was looking for something exactly like that !
    One question, though: Is there a way to access fog and ambient light settings without the use of a weather system ?

39. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Moonthurst and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  40. JLO

JLO

Hi, I just bought Zone Controller Pro and I'm wondering if any one here knows how to access the material properties of an object? This is for either Unity version 5.6.1, 5.6.5, and 2017.1.0.

There's a comment posted 3 months ago on the "Zone Controller Pro Tutorial" video where John Rossitter says you can make changes to a material. Also, on the most recent review of Zone Controller Pro someone says that controlling a materials properties is no longer supported in Unity 2017.2.

So I'm assuming it works in one of those versions of Unity I listed, unless it's broken in them too.

41. MostHated

MostHated

Hey there, I have ZC Pro and I am controlling a gate on a castle that goes up as you approach and comes down when leaving the zone. I attached sound to the gate itself, but it only plays when you leave the zone and the gate is closing. is there a way to make it both on enter and exit? Do I need to do it from script instead?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  42. Moonthurst

Moonthurst

ok so I know that the dev is still active on at least one other asset he sell on the asset store (Last update on his Helios asset is june 4th 2018) But sadly he seem to have abandoned ZCPro.(last update august 2016)

43. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

No, I have not updated Zone Controller in quite a while.
    The community in general does not seem to have an interest in it any longer, as I may make 1 sale of it every 2 months.
    While I would love to put time into making updates, the mathematics of it just can't justify it at this point.

Thanks,
    John

44. MostHated

MostHated

"I am not making new sales, so screw all the people who have *actually* purchased it" is not the kind of attituded that makes me ever want to buy another asset from a developer or recommend it to people.

"The mathematics don't justify it". I am sorry to hear that it's not worth it to you to fulfill your job as an asset developer for those who have bought your product.

Maybe if you actually updated it, or replied to posts on the forum aside from now, people would not think its abandoned and actually purchase it. When I am looking for assets and I see its not updated and there are no replys on the forum, I assume its dead and move on. No one is going to magically make sales appear except you.

It is a shame that developers are allowed to create assets and sell them with no repercussion to "I just don't feel like it anymore" and screwing over those who have paid money for a product. It would be one thing if it was a free open source product, but I bought Zone Controller Pro, Pro meaning Professional, which used to actually mean something.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  45. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

THANKS for clarification!
    Another failed asset and failed developer! There are also plans for future( Conditional Zone Triggering), which never happened! And you aren´t even willing to update it for newer Unity versions!

I will certainly never buy something again from @JohnRossitter !

MostHated likes this.
  46. MostHated

MostHated

Agreed, I am quite disappointed to hear this as well. It is even more a shame as I had interest in another asset of his but now I know better and will definitely steer clear of it, and make sure to recommend other products to other developers.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  47. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Im sorry you feel this way, I will gladly refund you what you paid, send me your order number and I will issue a refund

48. serberusno1

serberusno1

Hey, wondering if this can be used to blend from one skybox to another? I want to change skyboxes depending on which area of my map the player is in. Also I'm not a programmer so I have no coding knowledge unfortunately

49. one_one

one_one

Are you serious? This attitude towards asset developers seriously needs to stop. The argument about economics is perfectly reasonable and also his good right. What do you think happens in other areas of software development when a company has to close down as they can't afford to pay their developers anymore?

I understand that on a personal level you'd be upset that an asset is discontinued. Arguably, when not disclosing source code, it's even worse if a developer abandons an asset. However, when you buy an asset, that is a possibility you need to consider. Look at the price tag of asset store assets. This one for example is 20€. 20€. You can't even hire a professional software developer for an hour in Europe for that amount. Yet you expect a product that likely took dozens of hours and various updates to be supported indefinitely without paying a dime ever again? For a product that likely nets them maybe 100 euros a month?

Do some developers on the asset store manage to ship frequent updates and offer professional support? Well, yes and they do so for two reasons: 1) Sales are good enough to sustain such active development or 2) In doing so they accept that they earn significantly less money than they would at a regular job or maybe even have to do it in their free time while another job pays their bills. And I'd say scenario 1) is relatively rare, considering even the author of the Relief Terrain Package asset has indicated he's falling into category 2) and contemplates quitting asset development at times. To sum it up: the huge amount of super useful assets on the store come at a super cheap price (taking closed-source assets out of the equation here.) Top-notch support is simply icing on the cake. In other software development scenarios you would pay at least 10 times the amount and potentially also only get dodgy support. I'd even go as far as saying that the asset store is one of the main reasons why so many small indie teams even manage to succeed with unity.

By creating such a toxic and egocentric environment by demanding free updates no matter what (ideally within 24 hours) and with such a hostile tone, people actually drive developers away from the asset store. And now ask yourself, who's losing out in this scenario - these developers who now have a more stable (and likely higher) income in their day job, or us 'end-user' developers who now need to re-invent the wheel yet again instead of just getting an insanely cheap package on the asset store?

hopeful likes this.
  50. Weblox

Weblox

I do agree with that. However, as I am not a programmer myself, I'd still appreciate an update, as this really was my favourite addon to achieve nice transitions, instead of just switching on/off Game Objects...