Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Your ideas about a superhero action-adventure game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by hosseinazizi, Aug 7, 2017.

1. hosseinazizi

hosseinazizi

Hey all,

We are working on a 2D action-adventure game with an emphasis on "adventure" . The game involves a superhero protagonist. The abilities of our superhero are still open, we are looking for the right ones.

The main challenge for us is to come up with the right abilities, so we can have high-quality puzzles.

Do you have any ideas about some puzzles that can be solved by some superhero abilities?

Examples from other games might be helpful.

2. ikazrima

ikazrima

hosseinazizi likes this.
  3. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

Depends a lot on which angle you're attacking it from.
    If it's a physical based puzzle, point and click, story or logic puzzle.

Trine, is a, somewhat, superhero based puzzle game, maybe can draw some inspiration from that.

hosseinazizi likes this.
  4. neoshaman

neoshaman

I'm thinking of this

5. Habitablaba

Habitablaba

holy crap that's awesome. Do you have a source for that, if someone wanted to purchase a print, perhaps?

6. neoshaman

neoshaman

If you use chrome do a reverse image search, it will tell you the name:
    illustrious omnibus of superpowers
    Do a search on that

There is a version for monster and other things

7. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

What if your character's super power was to give temporary super powers to other people or things? You would need to have them accomplish your tasks for you. Might be some depth there-- I think the most interesting powers are the ones that are useful in an indirect sense.

hosseinazizi likes this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I would play a modern remake of Lemmings.

9. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

I somehow didn't even make the connection to Lemmings, but that's a reasonable comparison. I propose that the player could also give powers to interactable objects for interesting effects/shenanigans. I also assume that the player character is controllable in the level, which would be somewhat different, but maybe that's incorrect.

hosseinazizi likes this.
  10. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Habitablaba likes this.
  11. Martin_H

Martin_H

Zombie night terror is very close. Made with unity by the way.

12. hosseinazizi

hosseinazizi

Thanks for your ideas everyone.

Our superhero is a particularly stupid one. We don't want our superhero to figure out about complex logic in the game, instead, our superhero will solve problems in very unexpected and rather simple ways. As an example, instead of crafting a ladder to climb a wall, he would shorten the wall by punching some rows of bricks and jump over it!

After solving each puzzle, the player must say: "Haha, that was hilarious" . The player should look for stupid and silly ways to solve puzzles, we'd like this to be the general feel of the game. We would still need some consistency and logic in our silly puzzles, so the player can make sense out of it. That might be one of the main challenges for us.

We considered lots of abilities and currently we decided to limit the abilities of our superhero to flying and punching. The main puzzles will be boss fights where our superhero must defeat giant robots by solving some sort of puzzles, there will be some hand-eye coordination challenges in the game, but nothing like health bars and fighting.

I'm looking forward to know your ideas and comments, also examples from other games can be helpful.

Cheers.

13. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Blockhead Man?

I love it. Maybe forego the punching for a flying cranium smash. Gameplay can become something like tetris, in which you stupidly smash your way through obstacles while trying to manage the destruction to open up new paths. Maybe the stupid hero controls something like a catapult object, like angry birds, and you have to master trajectory and power to destroy the right amount of stuff but not too much, but it is all done in real time with some control while in flight.

After solving particularly challenging puzzles, Blockhead Man will giggle like an oaf and pass out for a time. And a temporary boost you can get is a football helmet that gives like thirty seconds of nonstop cranial destruction power.

Habitablaba and TyrannicGoat like this.
  14. UnityFan18

UnityFan18

One of the most amazing infographics I have ever seen. Also in regards to having the superhero being not smart opens a lot of humorous scenarios.

15. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Okay.
    Check out a cool super hero game, made by Platinum games called
    Wonderful 101. You might get, lots of cool ideas from that game.
    You could also check out, Viewtiful Joe too.

Watch some playthroughs of it, or play the game. It's alot of fun.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  16. Serinx

Serinx

You could have a ball and cup switcharoo game, you always choose wrong unless you use your x-ray vision power.

17. pixellegolas

pixellegolas

I love the game guacamelee that uses metroid puzzle with cool superhero abilities :)

18. kentgrammel2

kentgrammel2

GOOD ALIVE movement scrip (r league, n+, n drake, splinter cell, minecraft, cubeworld, skate ect)