Search Unity

1. We're looking for feedback on Unity Starter Kits! Let us know what you’d like.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2017.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out all the fixes for 5.6 on the patch releases page.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Help us improve the editor usability and artist workflows. Join our discussion to provide your feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Your ideas about a superhero action-adventure game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by hosseinazizi, Aug 7, 2017.

1. hosseinazizi

hosseinazizi

Hey all,

We are working on a 2D action-adventure game with an emphasis on "adventure" . The game involves a superhero protagonist. The abilities of our superhero are still open, we are looking for the right ones.

The main challenge for us is to come up with the right abilities, so we can have high-quality puzzles.

Do you have any ideas about some puzzles that can be solved by some superhero abilities?

Examples from other games might be helpful.

2. ikazrima

ikazrima

hosseinazizi likes this.
  3. Kemonono

Kemonono

Depends a lot on which angle you're attacking it from.
    If it's a physical based puzzle, point and click, story or logic puzzle.

Trine, is a, somewhat, superhero based puzzle game, maybe can draw some inspiration from that.

hosseinazizi likes this.
  4. neoshaman

neoshaman

I'm thinking of this
    [​IMG]

TonyLi, Habitablaba and Kemonono like this.
  5. Habitablaba

Habitablaba

holy crap that's awesome. Do you have a source for that, if someone wanted to purchase a print, perhaps?

6. neoshaman

neoshaman

If you use chrome do a reverse image search, it will tell you the name:
    illustrious omnibus of superpowers
    Do a search on that

There is a version for monster and other things

7. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

What if your character's super power was to give temporary super powers to other people or things? You would need to have them accomplish your tasks for you. Might be some depth there-- I think the most interesting powers are the ones that are useful in an indirect sense.

hosseinazizi likes this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I would play a modern remake of Lemmings.

9. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

I somehow didn't even make the connection to Lemmings, but that's a reasonable comparison. I propose that the player could also give powers to interactable objects for interesting effects/shenanigans. I also assume that the player character is controllable in the level, which would be somewhat different, but maybe that's incorrect.

hosseinazizi likes this.
  10. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Habitablaba likes this.
  11. Martin_H

Martin_H

Zombie night terror is very close. Made with unity by the way.

12. hosseinazizi

hosseinazizi

Thanks for your ideas everyone.

Our superhero is a particularly stupid one. We don't want our superhero to figure out about complex logic in the game, instead, our superhero will solve problems in very unexpected and rather simple ways. As an example, instead of crafting a ladder to climb a wall, he would shorten the wall by punching some rows of bricks and jump over it!

After solving each puzzle, the player must say: "Haha, that was hilarious" . The player should look for stupid and silly ways to solve puzzles, we'd like this to be the general feel of the game. We would still need some consistency and logic in our silly puzzles, so the player can make sense out of it. That might be one of the main challenges for us.

We considered lots of abilities and currently we decided to limit the abilities of our superhero to flying and punching. The main puzzles will be boss fights where our superhero must defeat giant robots by solving some sort of puzzles, there will be some hand-eye coordination challenges in the game, but nothing like health bars and fighting.

I'm looking forward to know your ideas and comments, also examples from other games can be helpful.

Cheers.