Search Unity

You are using Unity iPhone Basic. You are not allowed to remove the Unity splash scre

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by AaronC, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

I will when I make some money from my app, just got to publish it first? catch 22...

2. fgielow

fgielow

This is not a valid argument.
    It is perfectly fine to develop and publish apps with iOS or Android basic, which are each already 400 USD.

Small companies often cannot "just buy the PRO version" right in the start.

3. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

I have followed the instructions on this page.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9611596/ios-5-1-with-xcode-4-2-and-retina-in-ipad-3

And I now have iOS 5.1 SDK showing as my target in xcode4.2, but I am still getting the same error about splash screens.

Incidently, in Unity under Player Settings SDK version still only shows ios5.0

If anyone can help me get my Unity iOS Basic compiling with xcode 4.2 or 4.3 for iOS5.1 devices, I will be very happy!

Thanks in advance!

4. fgielow

fgielow

Take care on doing that..
    I did exactly the same thing to get the SDK iOS 5.1 running on my xcode 4.2.1. The problem? When I tried to send my app to the app store, it complained about me using an invalid version of the SDK, something like that. As if I was using some beta release. EVEN if I tried to switch back to iOS 5.0.

It may be because of other reasons, but I associated that error to this procedure, as everything was working before I tried this workaround. When you try submitting your app to the store, please tell us whether it worked or not.

I don't know how to help regarding the splash screen error, though. Here it worked on Xcode 4.2.1.

5. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

So aiursrage2k was right, either wait for Unity to release a fix for iOS basic, or buy iOS Pro today! :-|

6. fgielow

fgielow

Or you can use Xcode 4.2.1 with iOS 5.0...
    That's what I did, for now.. Not the best alternative, but the one that worked :/

7. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

It is a valid argument, if you need to have it done by tomorrow I would say its the only one. If your game is not a piece of junk you will make your money back anyway

8. fgielow

fgielow

I meant that that argument is not valid to justify late corrections of already confirmed issues, specially as severe as this one.

"Oh, is it taking too long for Unity3d to support Xcode 4.3? Then upgrade to the PRO license" - that kind of behavior is certainly not expected from any paid product.

Furthermore, small companies may still have problems on gathering 1k+ dollars, it does not matter if what they developed is good or a piece of junk. I know that there are plenty of alternatives for small companies to seek funding, but those options sometimes have lots of undesired strings attached.

Lastly, is there any problem on releasing apps under iOS 5.0 still? I mean, devices running iOS 5.1 would manage to run those apps, or is this incorrect? I have little background on iOS app development.

9. AaronC

AaronC

Rubbish. We shouldn't have to buy pro just to get around this bug.

EDIT: Unity Pro + iPhone advanced, I should have said.

10. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

Just found this problem after having updated from Snow Leopard to Lion and from Xcode 4.2 to 4.3.2... And I urgently need to compile my projects too, I need to test them on devices... Hope UT will fix this ASAP, it's a workflow-killer.

11. fgielow

fgielow

Download version 4.2.1 and test it there meanwhile. I've been working like that.
    The problem is if you have an iOS 5.1 device, then you have to do a longer workaround. :p

12. AaronC

AaronC

Especially since its just a naff little feature killer implemented just to punish those who cant afford to buy Unity iPhone advanced in the first place.

13. laserlars

laserlars

I can't submit my app to Apple before this bug is fixed, right?
    Thanks for any answer :)

AaronC: In that case, not a very smart move. I'm going for Pro if I get a few sales from my basic game :]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  14. Poya

Poya

It looks like the link to XCode 4.3.0 installer is no longer valid. And 4.2.0 cannot be installed on lion (as far as I know...I'm very new to this whole Apple development thing). Are there any other locations we can get 4.3.0 from? Or should I just patiently wait :) (and that's not a complaint. The Unity team rocks beyond words!)

15. elektro

elektro

Same problem here.
    After getting a SIGABRT with the message "You are using Unity iPhone Basic. You are not allowed to remove the Unity splash screen from your game". I tried running a new empty Project (only a GUIText in an empty scene) and I get the same error. I did not change anything and the app stops after (!) showing the Unity splash screen.

I hope the error will be fixed soon.

Unity 3.5
    XCode 4.2
    iOS 5.1

I am pretty sure I successfully installed an a dev version of my game with this config on my iPad in the past.

16. xcube

xcube

i++
    I have the same problem!
    I think the problem is retinaDisplay:

17. elektro

elektro

Interesting - my Retina images are not even defined (I haven't changed or deleted anything)
    That might be the source of the problem.

18. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Look like I am going to have to purchase the Pro iOS license if Unity do not release the fix for iOS basic before Monday.

You know what will hapeen, I will buy the license and then the fix will be released.

At least with Pro I will be able to add my own splash screens, not leaving unity defaults if I have had to buy a Pro license... :eek:

19. xcube

xcube

I removed the screen at the Retina
    It did not help.
    We'll have to install xcode 4.2.1 (

20. GerardQ

GerardQ

To compile using XCode 4.3.0 on IOS 5.1 devices after you've upgraded to 4.3.1:

Make sure you have valid provisioning profiles.

1. Keep your new Xcode 4.3.1 unchanged, but go download the older XCode version 4.3.0 from Apple Dev Center and install it in a separate folder. Name it "XCode 4.3"
    2. In Unity: Go File -> Build Settings and select 'Build"
    3. Connect your IOS 5.1 Device with the provisioning profile.
    4. Open Xcode 4.3, then open the project build that you just created manually by navigating via File -> Open...
    5. Make sure you are building to the desired device and hit "RUN" from Xcode 4.3.

6. If you get an error that says the Xcode and IOS versions don't match, your provisioning profiles may just need to be updated once. To update your provisioning profile, close Xcode 4.3 and run Xcode 4.3.1 with your device connected to reinitialize the provisioning profiles. You can check your profiles and devices under Window -> Organizer. If provisioning profiles are in order for your device, then shut down XCode 4.3.1 again and go back to step 3. In future you should only have to rinse repeat Step 2-5 until we get an update.

Hope that helps!

- DeX

21. elektro

elektro

The problem are not the provisioning profiles. It compiles just fine. When the app is run on the device it stops at the unity splash screen and states "You are using Unity iPhone Basic. You are not allowed to remove the Unity splash screen from your game". I think this is a problem in Unity (iOS Basic). Again - I did not alter any of the splash screens but I get the error anyway.

22. GerardQ

GerardQ

Yes, but you missed that the first part of the solution addresses that issue. Perhaps you should read and understand the post first before criticizing???

The Splash Screen error disappears when you compile with XCode 4.3 instead of 4.3.1.

23. elektro

elektro

No offense. I read your post but it was not clear to me that this is addressing the splash screen problem.
    Thanks for your effort.

24. GerardQ

GerardQ

What I suggested addresses the problem that's being stated in the heading of this thread.

Like I said. Read, Understand and TRY before nullifying a solution publicly.

25. GerardQ

GerardQ

Here it is again:

To compile using XCode 4.3.0 on IOS 5.1 devices after you've upgraded to 4.3.1:

Make sure you have valid provisioning profiles.

1. Keep your new Xcode 4.3.1 unchanged, but go download the older XCode version 4.3.0 from Apple Dev Center and install it in a separate folder. Name it "XCode 4.3"
    2. In Unity: Go File -> Build Settings and select 'Build"
    3. Connect your IOS 5.1 Device with the provisioning profile.
    4. Open Xcode 4.3, then open the project build that you just created manually by navigating via File -> Open...
    5. Make sure you are building to the desired device and hit "RUN" from Xcode 4.3.

6. If you get an error that says the Xcode and IOS versions don't match, your provisioning profiles may just need to be updated once. To update your provisioning profile, close Xcode 4.3 and run Xcode 4.3.1 with your device connected to reinitialize the provisioning profiles. You can check your profiles and devices under Window -> Organizer. If provisioning profiles are in order for your device, then shut down XCode 4.3.1 again and go back to step 3. In future you should only have to rinse repeat Step 2-5 until we get an update.

Hope that helps!

- DeX

26. P2D

P2D

27. sibhod

sibhod

I have a standard iOS license and have been getting this error constantly for a few days now. I've tried all the solutions posted in this thread, tried running the project in Xcode 4.2, 4.3, and 4.3.1, and on multiple machines. Between this, other versioning bugs, and lots of crashing, I am thoroughly dissuaded from developing on beta software in the future.

Here's to hoping it's fixed quickly.

28. laserlars

laserlars

I have to wait for a fix to be able to submit my game to Apple, right? I can't use 4.3 to build my release?

Sorry, I've asked this question before in this thread, but no answer. And I have never released anything on the Appstore before.
    Any answer would be appreciated :)

Thanks.

29. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Correct!

I have tried all the workarounds, and if you try and build to a device with iOS 5.1, you get the splash screen errors.

If building to an iOS 5.0 device, then it works fine with Unity iOS basic.

But if you want to submit your app to Apple, it must compile and work on their latest iOS version, hence 5.1, so until the fix is provided you cannot submit your app to Apple at this time.

I am desperate for the fix, even looking at purchasing the iOS Pro license (which I cannot afford at the moment), have an app ready to submit.

Unity, we NEED this fix for iOS basic users!

An update, or an ETA would be greatly appreciated...

30. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

As far I know Unity iOS Apps built with Xcode 4.3 are accepted by AppStore. If you get rejection because you were building your app with Xcode 4.3, please let me know ASAP. Thanks.

Btw, iOS 5.1/Xcode 4.3.1/iPad3 multiple fix package is almost ready and I hope to share it soon.

31. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thanks for the update Mantas!

I believe Apple are accepting Xcode 4.3 builds, but surely the target needs to be iOS5.1 or lower, not iOS5.0 or lower...

I updated my iPhone4 to iOS 5.1, and it will not run my app, and I am sure Apple would not want a new app in their store that does not work with their latest OS version.

Thanks again for the update, really, really greatly appreciated, when you say share it soon, is that by end of the week, or sooner?

Thanks again!

32. laserlars

laserlars

Thanks Greg and mantasp.

I've sent my app out to some testers, and if no fix is provided untill next week I'll just try to submit it using 4.3 and see if it gets through :>

33. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

iOS applications built for older targets should work on newer OS versions. (Unless it hits some deprecated API or bug).

Do you mean your app existing on AppStore does not work on iPhone4 with iOS 5.1 or do you mean you can't install development version of app locally using Xcode? In the later case you could try installing Ad-Hoc build via iTunes, but I'm not sure if it will work as workaround.

34. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Hi Mantas, thanks for the update!

Will that patch also work with with Xcode 4.3.2 or do I need to fallback to 4.3.1?

35. Skyrise

Skyrise

Great news! Finally! :)

I'm waiting for the update to test our game on iPad Retina...

36. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

@mantasp, I mean that I can't install a local development version using XCode to my iPhone4 with iOS 5.1.

Anyways, I am happy to wait now if the fix is imminent, plus my wife won't go nuts now when she sees £883 ($1500) on our next credit card bill, as I won't need to upgrade to Unity iOS Pro just yet!

Once I get some sales from my app I will... :)

37. fgielow

fgielow

Apple accepted the builds I created with Xcode 4.2.1. I've compiled using SDK5.0 and targeted iOS>=4.3 devices (just so I could safely build only for armv7, disconsidering armv6)

38. fgielow

fgielow

I managed to get past this, but it is a pretty annoying procedure.

If I tried using Xcode 4.2.1 with SDK5.0 directly, my iOS5.1 device would not be recognized.
    I had to open Xcode 4.3 first, so my device could be recognized, and then switch back to Xcode 4.2.1, which would then recognize my device and I would manage to build with SDK5.0.

Any builds on Xcode 4.3 would fail, I opened it first just so my device could be 'seen' by Xcode 4.2.1 later.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  39. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

@mantasp, I mean that I can't install a local development version using XCode to my iPhone4 with iOS 5.1.

Anyways, I am happy to wait now if the fix is imminent, plus my wife won't go nuts now when she sees £883 ($1500) on our next credit card bill, as I won't need to upgrade to Unity iOS Pro just yet!

Once I get some sales from my app I will... :)

40. recognize

recognize

Same story here: using xcode 4.3.1 and unity 3.5 and ipad with IOS 5.1 gives the "You are not allowed to remove the Unity splash screen"-error when I see the splash screen appear on my ipad. :(

Now downloading (HUGE!) xcode 4.3.0 to see if that helps, but I actually reply to this thread to get a subscripsion on the topic.

41. daveLifeboat

daveLifeboat

@mantasp Hurrah! Thanks Mantasp - I knew you Unity guys gals wouldn't let us down ;)

42. GerardQ

GerardQ

This is interesting, because my apps all compile under 4.3 (which is really 4.3.0) and run fine on iOS 5.1 devices. Nothing compiles under 4.3.1 due to the splash screen issue.

You must mean you opened 4.3.1 first, and then compiled with 4.2.1...

43. fgielow

fgielow

Precisely! Sorry, my english sometimes is weird :p

But, very strangely, I get no splash screen issues only under 4.2.1 with SDK 5.0, even when compiling to an iOS 5.1 device. Thus, this is how I have been working lately. Whenever I try to compile with Xcode 4.3+, the splash issue comes back.

Before I accepted using Xcode 4.2.1 with SDK 5.0, I had managed to get SDK 5.1 on Xcode 4.2.1 by copying the SDK from Xcode 4.3, but after I did that, I would not manage to submit my application to the app store. It said that I was not using a SDK version accepted for submissions, as if I was still running a beta SDK, maybe (I wasn't).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  44. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

When we get the fix, then I will start the celebrations!

@mantasp, any news? will we have the update today?

Many thanks in advance!

45. sibhod

sibhod

Very excited about the upcoming fix!

In the mean time, is there any legit way to downgrade my iOS device to 5.0? I had to upgrade when it crashed, and am now stuck without being able to test!

46. RVeldhuyzen

RVeldhuyzen

Nice mantasp. Any chance you can ballpark an ETA for the fix?
    Looking forward to being able to continue testing and developing again! :)

47. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Will it be this week? if not then I am gonna have to fork out for the iOS Pro license, my app is ready to go...

48. daveLifeboat

daveLifeboat

@mantasp I'm in the same boat as Greg :-/ - any news?

49. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Well, I cannot wait any longer, been polishing my app for last few days, gonna remove all the xcodes off my Mac this morning, load on xcode 4.3.2, and purchase unity iOS Pro license, so I can submit my app today.

You watch unity will release the fix later today, just my luck! :)

50. laserlars

laserlars

Wish I had the money to do the same. With no previous apps on the market, and not knowing what to expect, $2600 is a bit much for a "loner" like me just to submit my app a few days/weeks earlier :] (even though it may be an investment, I would love to have some of the Pro-features)

The upside is, I get to do some extra polishing :eek:)

Hoping for a fix soon.