Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Wrong view when import google cardboard sdk with Unity 6.0

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by gregshao, Jun 8, 2017.

1. gregshao

gregshao

Could anyone tell me how to set up google cardboard sdk with the newest Unity? When I import the sdk, the view looks upload_2017-6-7_23-40-15.png
    not like upload_2017-6-7_23-40-49.png

The new Unity and new google cardboard sdk are so different from online tutorials. Please somebody help!!!

2. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Google cardboard 1.50 does not support in-editor stereoscopic view anymore.
    Btw unity 6.0 doesn't exist so I assume you meant 5.6.x

For iOS use 5.6.0f3 or 5.6.1p2
    The rest of the 5.6 versions are pretty much broken for iOS cardboard support

3. gregshao

gregshao

Hello my friend, thanks for the correction, my Unity version is 5.6.1f1, how do I change the version? Also, I found I need change some player setting in order to enable VR is that true.

Since google cardboard 1.5 does not support in-editor stereoscopic view, so I can only deploy to my phone and see what's going on for my app?

Also when you mean broken, did you mean when you build the ios project it says
    Apple Mach-O Linker Error?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  4. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

No I think he is talking about a distortion in scene rendering on device. For the linker issue you are running into this most likely:

Google distributes the Cardboard Native Development Kit (NDK) for iOS through the [Cocoapods library management system](https://cocoapods.org). Unity is integrated with a specific version of that Cardboard NDK from the Cocoapods manager and uses the NDK to create your XCode project. This means the resulting project is generated differently from a standard Unity project; Cocoapods creates a wrapping XCode workspace that contains the Unity project as well as a project for the Cardboard NDK library and its dependencies. Always make sure that you open and/or use the workspace and not just the project to avoid getting linker errors due to the missing libraries from Cocoapods.

5. gregshao

gregshao

Hi Joe,
    Could you provide more detail about how to use Cocoapods?

Greg

6. homeros

homeros

You don't need much detail to build. All you have to do is open XCode workspace rather than Xcode project and build from there. If this still seems confusing to you, hitting "Build and Run" instead of "Build" also starts building the XCode workspace.

behram likes this.
  7. gregshao

gregshao

Thanks Joe! Your information helped me a lot!! I made it working!!!

8. behram

behram

Thank you so much Homeros and Joejo. Building from workspace fixed it !

Cheers,
    b