Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WorldComposer a tool to create real World AAA quality terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 6, 2013.

1. ThinkTech

ThinkTech

Hi!

I'm getting the following error after importing the package in my Unity project, please help. i don't know how to solve it or is there any other plugin for RTP to be included in the project. using UNITY 5.4. Please help.

Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/Map_tc.js(7437,73): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'rtp_functions'.

HELP!
    HELP!
    HELP!

2. davaguco

davaguco

Hi Nathaniel

I'm trying to create a terrain, but I'm getting multiple errors like this one:

ObjectDisposedException: The object was used after being disposed.
    System.IO.FileStream.set_Position (Int64 value) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.IO/FileStream.cs:426)
    Map_tc.calc_raw_value (Vector2 pos, Vector2 offset) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/Map_tc.js:6478)
    Map_tc.generate_heightmap2 () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/Map_tc.js:6409)
    Map_tc.Update () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/Map_tc.js:3671)

Do you know why is this happening? Thanks.

3. aidesigner

aidesigner

Hello Nathaniel,

I am currently trying both WorldComposer and TerrainComposer2 (Powerful). I have this very ambitious idea of creating a runtime scene based on an user specified geographical location.

-Can WorldComposer generate a height map at runtime and send it to TC2 at runtime. Post #489 says its possible, but can you provide help/documentation/insight.

-How can the heightmap be altered with scripts to remove certain object sizes (ie. house) so a more realistic house asset can be added?

-Exactly how much WorldComposer power is available with scripts at runtime?​

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  4. eagle555

eagle555

Seems like an older version of WorldComposer, with the last version from the Asset Store 'rtp_functions' is not at that line. I tested WC in all Unity 5.x versions and works fine here. Can you send me your WorldComposer invoice id to support@terraincomposer.com, so I can help you further to resolve the issue...

Strange error, maybe you can come on skype and we do screenshare to see what is going wrong. My account is Nathaniel.Doldersum

WorldComposer is made to be used in the Unity Editor. So is not possible to use it at runtime, what I meant with the post that it is possible to use TerrainComposer2 at runtime, that it can stream an already downloaded heightmap (in Unity Editor and included in the build) from WorldComposer.

The heightmap under the houses is just flat. And you can use Map-ity (compatible with WC) with BuildR to populate it with houses.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11779

Nathaniel

Kamikaze2020 and davaguco like this.
  5. davaguco

davaguco

aidesigner, I just sent you a conversation request. If this message is offtopic please tell me and I will delete it.

6. BrendanOBrien01

BrendanOBrien01

New to this plugin and new to unity, from what i've seen so far it looks like an amazing tool, I'm just running into some issues... when I build my terrain it comes in as very stepped geometry and not smooth like what's shown in the tutorial videos. Wondering what I might be doing wrong or if anyone else has experienced this issue. Here's a screenshot to show what I'm talking about... Screenshot (12).png

7. FrikkieRSA

FrikkieRSA

Hi @eagle555

I would like to know if it is possible to select none-rectangular areas for export? If you look at the screenshot below, I only want to export the red squares at maximum resolution. The yellow areas I will export at a lower resolution as they are only for distant viewing. The reason why I need maximum resolution around the road is because I am using EasyRoads to build the roads and therefore I need high resolution heightmaps to prevent Z-fighting with the terrains.

In the example, the squares are quite big (I assume it is the default size of 855x855). Can this size be smaller so that there is less wasted space. In other words more smaller squares so that I can select the high resolution squares more accurately so that there are less useless high resolution heightmaps far from the road? I hope that you understand what I am trying to say.

Furka.JPG

8. eagle555

eagle555

I explain how to solve it in the first question in WorldComposer troubleshooting:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/

It's not really possible to select separate tiles, but you can bypass this. You can make two areas for it, one high res and one low resolution. Then create them both, and disable (or delete) the tiles you don't want in the Hierarchy window.

Nathaniel

9. FrikkieRSA

FrikkieRSA

Thanks for the quick reply.

I thought of doing that. The thing is that I don't have a great internet connection so it is not possible to download such high resolution heightmaps for such a big area. And I already checked the threads required, it is way more than the maximum allowable 50k per 24 hours.

So what I am thinking is that I should make a new area per tile and only download each area one at a time? Each tile is the same size (latitude and longtitude), so I can easily calculate the center coordinates of the neighbouring tile. Will this workflow allow the heightmaps and satellite images to join seamlessly?

For the far away terrains I will download at a lower resolution and delete the tiles that intersect with the higher tiles (like you showed in the tutorial video).

Or would it be possible for you to add such a feature as described in my previous post? :)

10. eagle555

eagle555

Yes good point. I will look into adding this as a feature, will let you know today.

Nathaniel

11. jGate99

jGate99

@eagle555
    Can you please intigrate it with EasyRoads ?

For example when you draw the terrain and replace all the road data with EasyRoads based Roads (if EasyRoads is available in project). I have seen other similar plugins do that and this save tons of time.

I also sent you PM, please check.

12. jGate99

jGate99

Cant you use Sectr Stream here?
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/15354

13. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

I seem to be having a problem where I am getting the wrong "Area" when I create terrain in Unity. I don't know if this is a bug or user error, though I suspect the latter.

Basically two areas are getting mixed up somehow. The color map that appears in Unity at the location of the area named "LC39B" is actually the color map of the area named "LC41". I'm posting some images to make it more clear, but basically it is in the right POSITION but has the wrong IMAGE.

This first image shows the define area I am trying to put into Unity.

These last two images show what I am actually getting inside of Unity.

14. FrikkieRSA

FrikkieRSA

Hi Nathaniel

Will you be adding my requested feature?

In the meantime I have thought of another workflow that might be able to achieve what I want (high resolution around EasyRoads and low resolution in the other areas). I understand that you can use one low resolution heightmap from WorldComposer as a base for TerrainComposer and then create high resolution tiled heightmaps? So I can then download a huge area from WorldComposer at a low resolution (and therefore not exceed the 50000k transactions) and use TerrainComposer and it's multi-tile support to create the high resolution areas only around the roads and then convert the rest to low resolution? If yes, then I will probably be buying TerrainComposer (damnit, I knew I had to pick it up during the massive sale that ended the other day).

Thanks for the tip, I am thinking of using World Streamer.

15. eagle555

eagle555

Map-ity is compatible with WorldComposer and allows to place roads with RoadArchitect and building with BuildR:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11779

I don't see LC41 in the Hierarchy window, but twice LC39. I tested it many times before with Multi terrain resolution and never got this mixed up. Do you use a different folder for each area?

Yes I will add this feature. It will take some time to implement it, as I don't have much free time at the moment, but I think will be still within this month to get it ready.

To get heightmaps more detailed, erosion needs to be added. Something that WorldMachine is really good at. Erosion is on the roadmap for TC2.

Nathaniel

16. jGate99

jGate99

17. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

That is exactly the point :) It says it is adding LC39 like it should be, yet the color map I am seeing belongs to LC41. They are exported to the same folder. They are named differently though so that shouldn't be a problem right? Do I need to have a separate folder for every area? That could quickly become unwieldy for what I am planning to do.

18. FrikkieRSA

FrikkieRSA

Awesome, thank you very much.

Lol. Looks like your reviewers are right, you answer questions before they are even asked. That was my next question :)

19. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

20. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Just wanted to chime in that the "non rectangular" areas would also be a benefit for me as well. So +1 on that feature :)

21. hopeful

hopeful

Yeah. Development on Road Architect was discontinued a long time ago.

EasyRoads v3 is supposed to be able to hook up to OSM data. It sounds like if you have EasyRoads you don't necessarily need Map-ity, but I don't know for sure.

22. DominoM

DominoM

Kamikaze2020 likes this.
  23. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

24. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Clicking Apply on the Image Editor to de-shadow just locks up Unity. I've tried it three times now.

25. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Deleted all areas and started over and now it seems to be working.

26. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

How do I get the created terrain to be in the correct place in 3d space, at least in relation to other areas?

I'm not sure the rhyme or reason that is being used to place them, but almost all my areas are getting stuck in the same spot - yet it isn't 0,0,0 so its obviously doing *something* just not what I want or need.

EDIT: Ok it appears as though each "Area" is exported to 0,0,0 in the world. So if you have multiple areas with different centers, things aren't going to be lined up and you have to do it by hand :(

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Excir likes this.
  27. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

So I download the satelite imagery as a RAW file, then use the option to combine them. Then I want to load it into Photoshop for some color correction and other work. But the combined raw is B&W, while the tiled RAW files are color. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: User error. I wasn't putting the proper values into the Photoshop import dialog.

28. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Are the heightmap files created by World Composer inverted? I opened the .raw file in Photoshop because I wanted to do some tweaking on top of the downloaded data, and noticed all the water areas are nearly pure white, 253,253,253

29. Philkrom

Philkrom

Hi everybody
    I am using WC to capture heightmaps that I apply then to terrains created in Unity.
    If the heightmap comes from 2x2 tiled, or any power of 2 (4x4, 8x8, 16x16…) it fits perfecty a square terrain once imported as a raw.
    But if the heightmap is from 3x3, 5x5, 6x6, heightmap shows only on a part of the terrain.
    Is there any way to correct this and apply for instance a 50x50 heightmap to a square terrain ?
    Thanks for reading... and answering too !

30. SHIBAPOWER

SHIBAPOWER

Hello, eagle555
    I want to create 1:1 real world terrain.
    How can I do which the settings?

Excir likes this.
  31. Tulrath

Tulrath

Hi everybody,

How do I get TerrainComposer2 to use the Terrain generated by WorldComposer?

After creating my WorldComposer terrain (heightmaps and satellite images), I now want to place splat maps over the satellite images and add some additional layers (like trees, grass, and objects).

But I just can't seem to get the two to work together. TerrainComposer2 doesn't "see" the terrain that's been created by WorldComposer. If I click "Create Terrain" in TerrainComposer2, it just creates a whole new set of terrain -- ignoring the WorldComposer terrain that's already there.

I see there are many people on this thread who seem to be using WorldComposer and TerrainComposer2 together -- what am I missing????

32. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

So i'm guessing the author of this software doesn't reply to support very often in this forum :( Is there another way we should be getting in touch with support questions? I have them practically piling up, though some I've managed to figure out on my own.

Also is a 5.6 version coming? I hate warnings in my console and this asset is throwing a few from API changes.

Excir likes this.
  33. hopeful

hopeful

Thread owners in this forum aren't always notified when a new post occurs, and it is likely he believes that since he has received no notifications there are no recent postings for him to answer. So if you are going to use the forum, ping him @eagle555 ... and if you need urgent support, use his support email address.

Also keep in mind that every support issue a dev has to answer on the forum takes away from their time to update and develop the asset. Over the years I've seen that many people abuse this system, buying a cheap asset and plaguing the dev with questions, wasting everyone's time and eventually causing the dev to abandon the asset.

34. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Yeah I don't like the way these forums only notify you of one reply then nothing else until you visit them.

35. odedz

odedz

I would like to know if it is possible to import my own offline source data like elevation data (TIFF \ ASCII \ DEM or any other supported format) and imagery (GeoTIFF \ RAW \ JPG etc) into WC or TC.
    I have to create a terrain for Unity for an area which is in very low resolution in Bing and I have my own data in high resolution, which I can convert to any compatible format.

36. foq1978

foq1978

Could you please help me with this issue? I'm trying to use WorldComposer, but the "Export Heightmap" button does not seem to work (stuck at 0%)
    I'm using Unity 5.5.1f1 (Personal Edition).
    Many thanks.

37. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Look at the console for errors. I had that happen quite often when I was doing a bunch and in each case it turned out that for some reason WC had randomly changed the export path to some other location that didn't exist, and if the path doesn't exist it just errors out and hangs.

hopeful likes this.
  38. Heisenberg1986

Heisenberg1986

I'm trying to 'scale' the terrain, more specifically, if the real world size is 5km by 5km, I would like to scale it down to a few meters, to have a miniature version of the terrain. Can anyone give me a pointer on how to accomplish this?

39. chiefarchon

chiefarchon

I feel exactly the same. Some help and an up to date video would be very helpfull. The last video showing how to use Terrian Composer with WorldComposer is 3 years old and very out of date and refers to buttons that simply arent there on TC2

Rowlan likes this.
  40. Aleksei-Kolotilov

Aleksei-Kolotilov

How to export from WorldComposer in TerrainComposer2? TC2 does not accept the files from WC.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  41. Heisenberg1986

Heisenberg1986

None who can help me with this? I have WorldComposer, but it does not seem to have an option for this. I tried doing this via the terrain size that can be set in Unity, but than the tiles of the terrain are in the wrong position.

jamexist likes this.
  42. Excir

Excir

Developer did not respond for the last 40 days and I had similar questions to the ones people asked in recent posts. Sent support emails with no success!! So I decided to buy another asset terra land and all of those issues/features are already covered in that, plus the developers are so responsive..

Don’t want to compare the 2 and I won’t lie if I say that with the other one I have a way more satisfying experience but reallyyy… we all hate gazing at the monitor for days in order to get a simple answer to our questions.

43. eagle555

eagle555

They don't need a different folder, but names should be different.

Yes this needs to be done by hand, are you making islands? I could add an option to have a central center point and terrains are positioned from there.

I made a fix for this.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

44. eagle555

eagle555

That's because the resolution is not square root. Unity terrain only supports 33/65/129/257/513/1025/2049/4097 resolution. The solution is to open the Raw file in photoshop and scale resolution up or down to square root + 1.
    How to import in photoshop:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/PhotoshopImportExportRaw.jpg

WorldComposer is creating 1:1 real world terrain on default, so you don't have to do anything special for it. Just export an area and create a terrain out of it.

Sorry about the late reply. I will be more responsive from now on. I will fix the warnings in 5.6

Both TC and WC use 16 bit raw grey scale images (Unity terrain uses this format as well to import). So if you convert the data to this format you should be able to use it. WorldComposer has the ability to convert an Ascii to raw, and TC2 can use images that Unity supports (only these are 8 bit with less precision).

As jwvanderbeck says need to check the Unity console for errors (control-shift-c). Make sure you export into a folder within your project. If you didn't solve it, can you show a screenshot of your Unity window with the console?

There's a 'Scale' setting in the 'Create terrain' tab.

upload_2017-6-28_19-15-58.png

Nathaniel

45. eagle555

eagle555

Unity's standard terrain shader doesn't support a colormap. I will extent Unity's terrain shader next month that will include one.
    As for importing WC's heightmaps into TC2 I made a video for it:

After finishing the colormap terrain shader I will make a video how to use TC2 and WorldComposer together and update the docs for this.

Nathaniel

TonyvanLoon and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  46. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Hi Nathaniel, and thanks for popping in and answering some questions :)

I had sent an email to your support but never got a response, so reposting those here, minus what you already just answered.

3. Is there any way to output multiple areas with different centers and have them positioned properly in world space relative to each other?

4. Have you considered some form of snap to grid function so that you can make areas with different centers and sizes still align properly so that you can delete overlapped tiles?

SyntaxTerror likes this.
  47. eagle555

eagle555

3. Is not possible yet, but I will update WC to allow it.
    4. That's a very good idea, will implement it as well.

Nathaniel

jGate99 likes this.
  48. daeuk

daeuk

getting this error on 2017.1? what does this mean:

NullReferenceException: UnityWebRequest has already been destroyed
    UnityEngine.WWW.get_error () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/WebRequestWWW/UWRWWW.cs:125)
    Map_tc.Update () (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/Map_tc.js:3994)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/

49. eagle555

eagle555

Yes somehow Unity 2017 has a bug with this, rest of Unity versions work fine. I'm looking into it to solve it asap.

Nathaniel

50. eagle555

eagle555

I found the issue and have an update for it. After you import the package WorldComposer should work correctly in Unity 2017. I updated WorldComposer on the Asset Store as well, this is pending as it needs approval from Unity's side.

Nathaniel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017