Search Unity

WorldComposer a tool to create real World AAA quality terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 6, 2013.

1. eagle555

eagle555

TC1 should be able to do this as well. Can you send me a screenshot of TC1 window?

Nathaniel

2. TLMultimedia

TLMultimedia

Here you go. I don't know if this explains it in sufficient detail for you to ascertain a solution.
    Thanks

Tim

TCstitchError.jpg

3. AJ-Design

AJ-Design

New WorldComposer user here. I have no idea what am I doing wrong. I purchased WorldComposer a few days ago, and I can't get it to work. I'm able to add the map key, and select the area, export Heightmap and images, but when I go to Create the terrain it gives me 999+ errors. Starting with inconsistent line endings in the Map_tc.js script. I tried a with brand new projects from scratch, I re-downloaded WorldComposer from the Assest Store... same errors. I'm on a Mac using Sierra 10.12.1. Here is the beggining portion of the errors:

4. eagle555

eagle555

Yes strange indeed, WC should have seamless terrain. We can do a skype screenshare, my account is Nathaniel.Doldersum

Can you show me a screenshot of your WorldComposer window?

Nathaniel

5. TLMultimedia

TLMultimedia

Hi. I will try to arrange this with you when I'm actually at that computer (really has problems moving the project because the DIR structure is funky)

I should say I think I increased the terrain resolution in the Unity terrain panel so I fear this may be the cause.
    Is that likely?

6. eagle555

eagle555

Yes that will create steps. I explain it in the first WorldComposer question here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/

Nathaniel

7. TLMultimedia

TLMultimedia

No you misunderstand. I didn't use the WC 'overscan' method. I literally went into the terrains one at a time and increased the resolution in the Unity inspector. I just re-sculpted the hills and cliffs by hand (coastal area so steep cliffs needed more resolution in the heightmap).

8. antoripa

antoripa

@eagle555 Please take a look. I use same coord for center in WP and Mapity .. but those are not alligned. I am not sure from what side issue is.
    There is even another issue, but I think that is from map-ity side. To ground the data I have to use only one terrain, If more are active all data from mapit are same level above the terrain ... maybe you are aware of that and can suggest a workaround ( I think that mapit is not anymore supported from the vendor I do not see activitie on the forum from them )
    upload_2016-11-21_22-44-12.png

9. eagle555

eagle555

So if I understand correctly, changing the resolution directly in the terrain, will result in a flat terrain which your re-sculpt by hand. So basically you don't use the heightmap from WC. What you can also do is higher the resolution in WC create terrain tool. And then use the smooth button until it is smooth. Then you can sculpt more detail...It's less work...

Is the zoom level the same in Map-ity as it is in WorldComposer?

Nathaniel

antoripa likes this.
  10. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks for your answer @eagle555 ... I think that best option is if you could share screenshot setting for a working example .. so from that I can understand all the setting ...

Btw .. next step is to use TC2 ( I bought that few days ago ) to ehance ? Any suggestion ? I saw some video with TC but I do not own that and TC2 looks quite different .. so I am wondering about the best workflow to do that

11. antoripa

antoripa

Capture.jpg @eagle555
    Just done a small area using the default setting from Mapity ... I think is not a zoom issue but more a issue with the rounded coordinate for the center point in WC ...may be I am wrong but that can create a few meters shift that is exaclty what's going on the integration

12. davide445

davide445

Hi testing WC I did export my map to TC2, have some questions
    - my exported map does have really rough heigtmaps, such as it was 8 bit map instead of 16 bit. I didn't change anything in the standard settings, need I to tweack something?
    - can I use a color mask or better the very same WC generated terrain to place inside TC2 trees stones etc on the places where the real one lie?
    - about houses and roads, any way to generate them using the information available in this map? It's really horrible to see houses flat on the map.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  13. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

1). WorldComposer extracts 16 bit raw grey scale maps and it only gets blockery if you higher the resolution of the terrain in the 'Create Terrain' tab. I explain it in the first question in WorldComposer troubleshooting here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/troubleshooting/

2). Yes this is currently possible with 1 image terrain tile, but if you have multiple images I still need to add multi tile image option in the image node. This will be there with the next update.

3). You can use map-ity for this:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11779

Nathaniel

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    davide445 likes this.
  14. eagle555

eagle555

I tested it. Yes is has to do with lat/long that are slightly off. The issue is that map-ity doesn't allow more accurate lat/long, it rounds them. But to fix it you can click on the parent of the terrains and offset it a little. Best to do it from top view in 2D mode.

Nathaniel

WC+Mapity.jpg

antoripa likes this.
  15. antoripa

antoripa

Hi Nathaniel @eagle555 ,
    that's fine to me.. I know how sort it out .. can you kindly share the coordinate used for the picture .. I can use that as baseline to create a patch. Thanks a lot

16. TLMultimedia

TLMultimedia

Hi. Yes I have done a few terrains by that method but as I was doing sheer cliff faces I just did it by the 'flat then resculpt' method. I can't go back on the project at this point, so my question is this: How can I now use TC (has to be v1 as WC doesn't yet work with TCv2) to stitch the two terrain tiles together where they don't join from my sculpting?
    You seem to suggest TC takes its stitch reference from the original RAW map. Perhaps if I upscale the RAW map to the size I have up-scaled the resolution to? I need to make it work as the join is right in the region of two important features.

Maybe I should arrange a Skype with you as you suggest.
    Thanks

17. eagle555

eagle555

These are my settings:
    NewYork.jpg

TC1 is able to stitch terrains. To do that open the TC1 window in Unity Menu -> Window.
    Then in TC1 window right click on the Terrain(..) foldout and a select from popup menu 'Search Hierarchy'. Drag and drop your terrain parent in the 'Search Parent'. Then shift click the <Search> button. The terrains should be added now in the terrain list.
    Go to Quick Tools -> Select Stitch tool tab (Leave border influence on 20) -> Click the 'Stitch' button.

Nathaniel

18. TLMultimedia

TLMultimedia

Hi Nathaniel.

I feel I'm going in circles a bit here. Where I began this issue on the thread I mentioned I was using TC1 with WC but the stitch function gives the error I showed in images earlier on. I had not known why and it is a puzzle. I'm wondering if the RAW height map is at all used in the TC1 stitch function. I believe I have all the terrains in the list as that has always been how WC and TC work together in the past (I have used the stitch on previous occasions without issue).

You did suggest perhaps a Skype to see what is going on and solve the issue.
    If you are prepared to do me this kindness I would appreciate it as presently the gap in terrains basically spoils an otherwise nice environment.

Thanks
    Tim

19. antoripa

antoripa

20. eagle555

eagle555

No the raw heightmap is not used in TC1 for terrain stitching. It reads directly from the height data of the terrain. What you can try is go to 'Size' tab and 'Resolutions' tab and for both shift click <Get All>, then try to stitch again. If that doesn't solve it we can do a skype screenshare my account is Nathaniel.Doldersum

Nathaniel

TLMultimedia likes this.
  21. Rowlan

Rowlan

Hi Nathaniel,

I just bought World Composer. Now I have TC2, WC and RTP. I really would love to see a tutorial how you combine all of these to create an awesome looking terrain :)

Unfortunately WC isn't what I need, at closer distance everything is too bendy and edgy. But I guess I could use the height map it generates. So all there's left is to texturize it properly. But doing that is not easy. That's why a tutorial could come in handy. Doesn't have to be fancy, just a general workflow :)

Thank you very much for your consideration!

ps: I also bought Horizon[ON] because you mentioned it. And if you throw in Time of Day into a combined tutorial, I'd buy that as well :D

22. dienat

dienat

but where do you get the satellite maps?

23. eagle555

eagle555

TerrainComposer2 and WorldComposer create standard Unity terrain. RTPv3 is a terrain shader and improves Unity's standard Unity terrain shader. You can actually use the satellite images as a colormap in RTP.

RTP an WC aren't integrated yet into TC2, but this is planned for the next update. As soon as I release it I will make a video for it to use all 3 together ;).

Only Time of Day doesn't need an additional tutorial as it's a system on its own, which works out of the box with Unity. It's basically drag and drop a prefab in the Scene...

WorldComposer uses Microsoft Bing maps as it's source:
    https://www.bing.com/maps/

Or do you mean something else with your question?

Nathaniel

Rowlan likes this.
  24. dienat

dienat

But how it works, i have to pay bing maps to get the heightmaps i want?

25. davide445

davide445

@dienat you just need to follow the WC video tutorials to select the area you are interested on and get your terrain. WC perform all the technical work, using Bing as map provider, you need only to create a Bing account as explained in the tut, no payment requested.

dienat likes this.
  26. parag3000

parag3000

Hi,

Need help.

I get the following error, when I initially load up WorldComposer from Window menu.

You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
    401 Unauthorized
    UnityEngine.WWW:LoadImageIntoTexture(Texture2D)
    Map_tc:Update() (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/Map_tc.js:3898)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

The map does not load. Screenshot Screenshot at दिस॰ 20 01-29-59.png

Thanks,
    Parag

27. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Did you enter your Bing key?

28. parag3000

parag3000

Found the manual. Looking foolish :) Thank you.

29. joanpescador

joanpescador

Driving me crazy. I do not see the worldcomposer (or terraincomposer) link in the windows menu.
    I bought it.
    I downloaded it.
    I have imported it to the project
    I installed the patches and also reset the default layout.
    I'm so newie. I really do not know what I'm missing.
    Some help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,

30. EspectroDK

EspectroDK

Hi Nathaniel

I hope you can help me. I'm trying to use a WorldComposer heightmap in your TerrainComposer2 asset for creating a nice looking terrain based on real height maps data.
    Could you give a recipe on how to do this? I found a tutorial video, but that stated that the WorldComposer was to be shown within TerrainComposer - and it looks like some very old GUI, so I guess that video is legacy.

So what's the easiest way to use my WorldComposer terrain in TerrainComposer2?

Michael

Rowlan likes this.
  31. hopeful

hopeful

Just so you know, @eagle555 may not be getting notifications of posts on his threads. If you need a response, probably best to use the support email address.

32. Philkrom

Philkrom

Hi Nathaniel
    I am building a map with terrain composer, my concern is that and I need a large map (40x50km) but detailed too. So a zoom of 18 would be perfect, but the animation it is not very smooth, because it generates very large texture (with the alert message) I know that I can get a multires texture, but only some parts of the terrain will be in hi res. I am wondering if it could be possible to make - as google earth or map do - to start with a low resolution (when ar from the ground) and as you get closer, the low res texture is replaced by an hires texture ?
    Best wishes !

33. eagle555

eagle555

No you just have to register a free Bing key, and you can extract heightmaps and satellite images for free. How to do this I describe in the WorldComposer manual (pdf in TerrainComposer folder).

Yes this happens when you are in web-player mode, fix for it is in the manual :)

Probably you have an error in the Unity console (shift-control-c). Can you show a screenshot of the console? Errors need to be fixed first before Unity compiles any new scripts.

You can just drag and drop a WorldComposer heightmap in a RawFiles folder to use for TC2. I describe it here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/terraincomposer2-documentation/#stamps

Thanks for the wishes, happy new year :).

For this I recommend to use texture streaming, Amplify Texture 2 is great for that:
    http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture-2/
    So in WC if you export to 'Raw' extension, then combine it to 1 big raw file, you can convert this raw file in photoshop to jpg and use it with Amplify Texture 2 as a colormap on the terrain. AT2 will automatically take care of the detail based on distance from the camera.

Nathaniel

34. ChillX

ChillX

If RTP is deleted from project then unity next time its launched reverts back to default layout. And Worldcomposer menu items are not created. Removing and reinstalling world composer will not bring back the menu items either. Why delet RTP? is because if for some reason you have another workflow and don't want RTP auto attached to the terrains (It changes the default set of textures) etc...

Figured out one solution / workaround where I don't have to redo everything. Create a new project. Only import WorldComposer into this project. Then open the original project and Delete RTP which means not opening any scene that uses RTP. Quit unity and go back in. The world composer menu items will still be there. Then generate the world composer terrains. Now world composer will not auto add RTP to the terrains. Then install RTP and import the terrain prefab into the main scenes etc...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  35. jackyxumax

jackyxumax

when I import you package into the unity,I got the error message :Some scripts have compilation errors which may prevent obsolete API usages to get updated. Obsolete API updating will continue automatically after these errors get fixed.Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/global_classes.js(1699,30): BCE0004: Ambiguous reference 'resolution_mode_enum': resolution_mode_enum, resolution_mode_enum.

36. jackyxumax

jackyxumax

Now another question is that when I update the unity to 5.6.0,I cant find the "WorldComposer"in the menu->window,I re-import the unpackage,I still cant find it. And now I cant find it in the old 5.5.0 version too. What's the matter?
    Thanks.

37. jackyxumax

jackyxumax

Now another question is that when I update the unity to 5.6.0,I cant find the "WorldComposer"in the menu->window,I re-import the unpackage,I still cant find it. And now I cant find it in the old 5.5.0 version too. What's the matter?
    Thanks.

38. eagle555

eagle555

Hmm this is strange, I you delete RTP, the next time you create terrains with WorldComposer it should add the RTP script anymore as it's not there. I did this myself many times I would just move the RTP folder outside the Unity project and later back in. Which Unity version do you use, I can test it then...

It looks like you have a double script because you important the package twice. Can you show me a screenshot of the Unity console? (control-shift-c). I tested on Unity5.6 and WorldComposer works fine.

Nathaniel

39. Mr-Aubert

Mr-Aubert

Hello Nathaniel!
    I would like to know the quality of maps in other regions. For example I live in Maceio, in the state of Alagoas, Brazil. I've been searching a lot to find good resolution 3d model of this area, but until now I only found on google earth, which is not high quality as the ones you are showing. I would be very glad if you could show us some of that area. And maybe I would even consider buying it.

Thanks a lot!

40. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

(Edit: I figured this out, see my reply below)

Hello! I was wondering if there might be a way to avoid incorporating the text such as you see here:

...into the final terrain textures. Seems like it must be a setting within Bing Maps but I'm not sure how to access it.

Apologies if this has been answered before, but a quick search didn't turn up anything and I'm a bit too time-crunched to scan the thread. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  41. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

Whoops, answered my own question seconds later - it's under Map Parameters -> Map Type. (Still feeling my way through the interface, and had clicked on Map Parameters to access the settings, but instead deactivated it from the tab.)

hopeful likes this.
  42. Black-pearl

Black-pearl

Hey guys,

Just purchased and love it concerned about the commercial rights about the maps though has anyone a resolution?

Anyway i want to do a full terrain of the uk how would i do this and keep the highest quality images? As only a portion of the uk uses up the 50k in no time,

Thanks in advance

43. eagle555

eagle555

WorldComposer uses Microsoft Bing maps, you can check the image quality here:
    https://www.bing.com/maps/

Yep there's 3 modes, satellite + text, satellite only, road map.

The rights is a very greyish area. It is discussed in the first pages on this forum. I never had any customer since 3 years that had any issues using it commercially. I was even contacted by Microsoft if they could sell WorldComposer on windows store app as standalone, I explained them it needed Unity.

If you want to stream entire UK with high resolution, I recommend to use the texture streamer Amplify Texture 2:

Nathaniel

44. Black-pearl

Black-pearl

Great thanks Nathaniel,

If I wanted to just add more complex areas on the whole map and less quality in other areas,

Do I just make individual areas for that and re create the terrain or is there a shortcut where I dont have to keep generating the terrain?

Thanks

45. dmoroni

dmoroni

Hi,

Could this tool be easily used on a mobile app? I'm working on a Cardboard VR project, (Android and iOS) allowing the user to flyby and explore a 250x250 Km. region with a fine detail that could reach 5 m. or maybe less.

What could be the total image file size for an experience like this? Am I completely way off for a mobile app?

Fantastic tool, anyway!

Riccardo

46. eagle555

eagle555

Yes this would have to be done with individual area's.

WC creates standard Unity terrain and this can run on mobiles. That would be an image resolution of 50k. Would definitely need some kind of streaming for a mobile to handle it. I recommend to use World Streamer with WorldComposer for it:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/36486

Nathaniel

47. ytrewq

ytrewq

Then I am runing Wold Composer, it does not show me the world map, and console message says

You are trying to load data from a www stream which had the following error when downloading.
    401 Unauthorized
    UnityEngine.WWW:LoadImageIntoTexture(Texture2D)
    Map_tc:Update() (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/Map_tc.js:3857)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

48. Philkrom

Philkrom

My previous email
    Hi Nathaniel
    I am building a map with terrain composer, my concern is that and I need a large map (40x50km) but detailed too. So a zoom of 18 would be perfect, but the animation it is not very smooth, because it generates very large texture (with the alert message) I know that I can get a multires texture, but only some parts of the terrain will be in hi res. I am wondering if it could be possible to make - as google earth or map do - to start with a low resolution (when ar from the ground) and as you get closer, the low res texture is replaced by an hires texture ?

Your answer
    For this I recommend to use texture streaming, Amplify Texture 2 is great for that:
    So in WC if you export to 'Raw' extension, then combine it to 1 big raw file, you can convert this raw file in photoshop to jpg and use it with Amplify Texture 2 as a colormap on the terrain. AT2 will automatically take care of the detail based on distance from the camera.

Hi, I have been trying (and failing) to use Amplify texture 2 in a high definition map created via World Composer.

The lack of updated tutorials make it really hard to follow the right procedure, I lost hours in my tryouts...

I read the posts in this forum around 2014-07-15, but no clear answer.
    On this page : https://community.unity.com/t5/Asse...orld-AAA-quality-terrain/td-p/1532754/page/14

I don't understand how I can use the combined RAW image file on the terrain as you told in your previous post.

Once I download the raw images, combine them, I can't create the terrain, because it says it needs the .jpg files.

So I downloded them, created the terrain.

Meanwhile, I opened the raw combined file and saved it into one large jpeg file.

From here, I am lost. How do I apply the same large jpg to all the squares that form the map ? Do I need to combine the terrain elevations too ? If so, how do I do it ?

Also, I would like to know if it would be possible to apply amplify texture 2 on each individual square ? The map I would like to import is way larger than the limited 30k x 30k maximum for jpeg files and it would be, I think, much more easier for me to apply individualy amplify texture to the squares.

A short video tutorial would be great, Nathaniel, I already spend many hours in my tryouts.

Thank you for your time :)

49. eagle555

eagle555

This happens because you are in Webplayer build mode. In the WorldComposer manual which is in TerrainComposer folder, you need to read trouble shooting to get it to work in webplayer or switch to Desktop build mode.

You can't use a combined raw file on the terrains by itself you need to let WorldComposer slice it up in jpg again. I have a tutorial for it here:

As for how to use amplify texture 2, I would need to look into it. Although they must have documentation for it. At the moment I working on a TC2 update with more examples, tutorial video's for it and demo. After I will look into AT2.

Nathaniel

50. ThinkTech

ThinkTech

Hi!

I'm getting the following error after importing the package in my Unity project, please help. i dont know how to slove it or is there any other plugin for RTP to be included in the project. using UNITY 5.4. Please help.

Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/Map_tc.js(7437,73): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'rtp_functions'.

HELP!
    HELP!
    HELP!